BKC Forum - Death Throes

Information Hub. MANDATORY READING WITHIN!
Rules, FAQs and More

Re: BKC Forum - Death Throes

Postby Sunwalker » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:01 pm

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Anyone else seeing a phantom thread in "For Everlasting Peace"?

I click on "Stuff Get! (Mega Man merchandise thread)", but it only takes me to "The requested topic does not exist."

Wouldn't even bother me, except it keeps registering as an unread thread on the forum I couldn't clear out until I hit "mark all threads as read."

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

It is the same issue that happened here some time ago. Here is how mods can delete it:
viewtopic.php?p=379296&f=4#p379296
Sunwalker
BumbleHonored

Postby BlueBlur62391 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:53 pm

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Anyone else seeing a phantom thread in "For Everlasting Peace"?

I click on "Stuff Get! (Mega Man merchandise thread)", but it only takes me to "The requested topic does not exist."

Wouldn't even bother me, except it keeps registering as an unread thread on the forum I couldn't clear out until I hit "mark all threads as read."

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Actually, I deleted it quickly after I found out there already was a thread for that kinda stuff.

Let's never speak of this again. I'm already stressed out enough by even thinking about it.

Please. Don't even reply to this one.
BlueBlur62391
BumbleNoble

Postby Sunwalker » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:20 pm

I have just updated the forum backup. The same download link that I gave before still applies (just look for the file dates to know which one of the files is newer).

If you need to know how to uncompress the files, have a look at this post ;).

For the sake of transparency and if someone else needs to to the backup, here are the scan rules (of HTTracker Website Copier) that I used for the backup:
Spoiler: show
Scan rules for the backup with external content wrote:-*
+*[path].gif +*[path].jpg +*[path].jpeg +*[path].png +*[path].tif +*[path].bmp +*[path].svg
+*[path].zip +*[path].tar +*[path].tgz +*[path].gz +*[path].rar +*[path].z +*[path].exe
+*[path].mov +*[path].mpg +*[path].mpeg +*[path].avi +*[path].asf +*[path].mp3 +*[path].mp2 +*[path].rm +*[path].wav +*[path].vob +*[path].qt +*[path].vid +*[path].ac3 +*[path].wma +*[path].wmv +*[path].mp4 +*[path].ogg
+*[path].doc +*[path].docx +*[path].xls +*[path].xlsx +*[path].ppt +*[path].pptx +*[path].7z +*[path].pdf +*[path].rtf
-*[path]/File:*[file] -*[path]/Image:*[file] -boxerhockey.fireball20xl.com/* -www.leaguelineup.com/* -www.lambchop.tv/*
+bumbleking.com/*
+*[name].bumbleking.com/*
-*memberlist.php* -*ucp.php* -*report.php* -*search.php* -*posting.php*
-*p=* -*hash=* -*view=previous* -*view=next* -*view=print* -*hilit=* -*highlight=* -*sid=* -*postdays=* -*postorder=* -*st=* -*sk=* -*sd=*
Note: I also had to tell the program to not follow robots.txt rules (at Options > Spider) in order to be able to download all the external images.

Scan rules for the backup without external content wrote:-*
+bumbleking.com/*
+*[name].bumbleking.com/*
-*memberlist.php* -*ucp.php* -*report.php* -*search.php* -*posting.php*
-*p=* -*hash=* -*view=previous* -*view=next* -*view=print* -*hilit=* -*highlight=* -*sid=* -*postdays=* -*postorder=* -*st=* -*sk=* -*sd=*
(spoilered because it looks scary for size)

I will keep updating the backup every few months.

Best regards!
(and may the BumbleKalypse not befall upon us)
Sunwalker
BumbleHonored

Postby Ian Flynn » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:53 pm

I follow-up Sunwalker's awesome news with considerably less awesome news.

I'm still waiting for things to move on the server admin's side so I can begin looking into maintenance. I'm growing increasingly pessimistic since, at a glance, it looks like the problems may stem from the forum being a Frakenstein-like mishmash of multiple databases, compounded by years of server moves and me having no idea what I'm doing.

If I can untangle the digital knot and get this forum rolling again, sans ineptitude, I will do so. If not, I'll take steps to make the downtime and transition between forums as painless as possible. Hopefully, the forum will limp along until then.

Thanks for your patience, folks.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Lighty » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:21 pm

If it's of any use, I'm quite knowledgeable with PHP and SQL and I've written custom import/exporting scripts before to manage large migrations of data.

This would be for free too.
Lighty
BumbleNewbie

Postby NiTROACTiVE » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:42 pm

Lighty wrote:If it's of any use, I'm quite knowledgeable with PHP and SQL and I've written custom import/exporting scripts before to manage large migrations of data.

This would be for free too.

You mean you could save this forum with your skills? That would be great if you can.
NiTROACTiVE
BumbleClan

Postby Lighty » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:23 am

I'd be happy to at least try :D
Lighty
BumbleNewbie

Postby Sunwalker » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:35 am

Lighty wrote:I'd be happy to at least try :D

Amazing! Maybe you could send Ian a private message about it.
Sunwalker
BumbleHonored

Postby linebyline » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:53 pm

It probably wouldn't even need to be all that custom. I mean, PHPBB is a pretty common, open-source forum software product thingy. If you're up for it, it shouldn't be hard to get the schema info from the PHPBB docs and then write something to export it. The problem is what you're going to export it to. For that, you'll need to know a little about what kinds of permissions Ian does and doesn't have, so I definitely second Sunwalker's suggestion of PMing Ian.

(Reimporting it later may also be a challenge, but PHPBB isn't going to care where the schema and data actually came from as long as they're put back the way it expects. After all, HTTP is stateless, so any Web app has to put its toys away neatly every time and start over from scratch on every page load anyway. That's why we have session cookies.)

And I hate to say it, but if I were Ian, I'd be mighty suspicious of a bunch of total strangers offering to help if he'll just give out a little bit of info and/or run one little arbitrary script on his server. That's probably just me being paranoid, but then again since anything connected to the Internet is almost certainly under attack at all times, sometimes it pays to be a little paranoid. I'm not saying "Watch out, Ian, Lighty's trying to HACK you!" (you could make the same accusation about my own advice earlier in this thread); just that "beware of geeks bearing gifts" is probably a good idea in general.
linebyline
BumbleKnight

Postby Tango the Hedgehog » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:23 pm

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but sometimes when I go to post or edit something, I get a 'General Error' notice after I click 'Submit.' It says that an error has occurred, and that the board administrator should be notified. After a second attempt though, it usually works. Anyone else experiencing this?
Tango the Hedgehog
BumbleFan

Postby Daisetsu » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:26 pm

Yeah, everyone is getting it I believe. Also, even though it says an error has occurred, your edit does actually go through the first time.
Daisetsu
BumbleNoble

Postby SurrealBrain » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:33 am

Is anyone else being taken to a completely different webpage (at a completely different website) when they go to the last page of the leaving/returning/welcoming thread?
SurrealBrain
BumbleClan

Postby Ian Flynn » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:49 am

SurrealBrain wrote:Is anyone else being taken to a completely different webpage (at a completely different website) when they go to the last page of the leaving/returning/welcoming thread?

Unless someone else can verify, that sounds more like a virus on your end. When was the last time you did a scan?
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby TheFatPanda » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:24 am

I'm assuming the move has been finished now right?

Well, um...I just ran into that annoying "error" message again that sometimes comes up when you edit posts.
Last edited by TheFatPanda on Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby Tango the Hedgehog » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:03 pm

TheFatPanda wrote:I'm assuming the move has been finished now right?

Well, um...I just ran into that annoying "error" message again that sometimes comes up when you edit posts again.

Same here. I understand that the down-time was only to move the server, but will the smaller glitches such as this be eventually fixed? Probably not right away, but is there a possibility of things being sorted out later on?
Tango the Hedgehog
BumbleFan

PreviousNext

Return to BumbleKnowledgebase