STH#249 - Spoilers & Discussion (WWC 6/12)

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: STH#249 - Spoilers & Discussion (WWC 6/12)

Postby LilacDownDeep » Thu May 30, 2013 10:10 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote:*Post about references here cut to save space.*

Ian told you the first time with Snively that it's just a reference and there's no need to overanalyze it. I can understand you may have a problem and an opinion about the references, but honestly there's no need to try to hurt your head over it and then bring it up over and over again.

Spoiler: show
Sorry for you, but according to Mouse, apparently Snively is cameo'd again in MM26 as well.
LilacDownDeep
BumbleNoble

Postby Astrobot7000 » Fri May 31, 2013 10:00 am

I agree with Maverick that references should make a certain amount of sense within the story, but I don't really think it is a big deal if they do not. References are supposed to be fun and light. Just grin/frown at them and keep going.

Cameos are another matter. In essence, they are lgiht and fun and have no real meaning outside of a nudge. The difference is that cameo appearances might affect the story. For example: maybe Snively will help Dr. Light escape. Granted, this will not happen at all but it might be what someone thinks when seeing Snively in the the crossover. Or when cameo characters are in the background of important scenes it might make a reader think it is foreshadowing.

So cameos and references should be fun, and try not to worry about them, but I can see how cameos can cause some thoughs about a plot.
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby DBlack » Fri May 31, 2013 10:03 am

Dejimon11 wrote:isnt there a maverick in X2 that is a crocodile?

Wheel Gator. Might have been harder to make that one fit, plus then we wouldn't have had the Vectorman joke.

And it took me several readings to get it too. Then I got "Sting Chameleon" and felt like a dunce. :)
DBlack
BumbleNewbie

Postby Ian Flynn » Fri May 31, 2013 1:15 pm

DBlack wrote:
Dejimon11 wrote:isnt there a maverick in X2 that is a crocodile?

Wheel Gator. Might have been harder to make that one fit, plus then we wouldn't have had the Vectorman joke.

And it took me several readings to get it too. Then I got "Sting Chameleon" and felt like a dunce. :)

Yup. I wanted to go for the MMX-reference trifecta, but there really wasn't a remotely good way to do it. That and I was dead-set on getting the "Vector Man" joke in from the moment we conceptualized the Roboticized Masters.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Mavrickindigo » Fri May 31, 2013 6:29 pm

I wasn't talking about cameos, I was talking about references. A quick nod to something, a line here, a character moment there. Nothing like Snively, which I expressed my opinions about in great detail earlier. I believe there is a difference between a reference and a cameo and treated each as a different sort of thing in my discussion.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Scruffy » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:54 am

Seeing Snively show up was a bit of a surprise, but it's only logical that Eggman wants him where he can keep an eye on him.

As someone who had never picked up a Mega Man game or comic before the crossover, I've been missing a lot of the references on his side. (Closest I've come to playing Mega Man is using the Mega Buster weapon in Dead Rising and the Proto Man costume in Dead Rising 2: Off the Record) At least I was aware of the Vector Man reference though. :)

Ian, I have nothing but praise for the crossover so far. It's been a lot of fun to read and I've loved every minute of it. Can't wait for part 7!
Scruffy
BumbleClan

Postby Antiyonder » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:46 am

So, I wonder if we'll get a Hard Knuckles bit down the line. :wink:
Antiyonder
BumbleCitizen

Postby squeakyboots13 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:20 pm

Antiyonder wrote:So, I wonder if we'll get a Hard Knuckles bit down the line. :wink:

I'll take anything else from that comic, but not THAT joke please.
squeakyboots13
BumbleCult

Postby Big Al Son » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:17 pm

Got the issue last Saturday. Finally halfway! Looking forward to seeing how to rest of the cross-over pans out.

I notice that Sonic is starting to remember things of the 'Genesis.' It's all-new to MegaMan.

I would like to see more supporting cast of MegaMan helping our heroes out in the Skull Egg Zone, cause there's only Rush, Proto Man and Dr Light (even though he needs rescuing) on his side. Whereas Sonic; Tails and his 8 friends that need rescuing. But after they are all deroboticized, it just doesn't seem fair on MegaMan's end. Wonder when Duo would reappear (from Part 5)? Maybe even bring Roll more involved.
Big Al Son
BumbleKnight

Postby SonicSoul » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:20 pm

Or we could've had the Light Numbers, assuming they weren't too busy with their duties or even mentioned that they would be called upon by Light or someone else.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby behellmorph » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:41 am

Just read the issue.

Jesus is Sonic a jerk. When Mega Man saves the Chaotix...the incomplete version as Mighty and Ray are missing anyway which sucks as we just spent a Universe arc getting them back, and how he tells the 3 that he will use the powers to rescue everyone else. What does Sonic do?
Mock him.

How nice, Mega Man's priority is to save every one and all Sonic can do at that is call him corny. When challenged about it his first defense is how cool he is.

What a hero he is.

Surprised to see any sign of a comic book character at all in the comic though. The genocide of the SatAm characters was not so complete after all.
behellmorph
BumbleCitizen

Postby SonicSoul » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:06 am

He shows gratitude in Part 7. Just because he says one harmless character trait that describes Rock doesn't mean he's not grateful for how much help he's been.

Plus, even if Mighty and Ray were in this, they would've gotten the roboticized treatment like the others. Would that really have been an improvement from their last appearance in all honesty?
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:45 am

behellmorph wrote:Just read the issue.

Jesus is Sonic a jerk. When Mega Man saves the Chaotix...the incomplete version as Mighty and Ray are missing anyway which sucks as we just spent a Universe arc getting them back, and how he tells the 3 that he will use the powers to rescue everyone else. What does Sonic do?
Mock him.

How nice, Mega Man's priority is to save every one and all Sonic can do at that is call him corny. When challenged about it his first defense is how cool he is.

What a hero he is.

Surprised to see any sign of a comic book character at all in the comic though. The genocide of the SatAm characters was not so complete after all.

Okay I'm just gonna say it. Sonic is always, ALWAYS an butt. He's never not been an butt. If you think there was a moment Sonic wasn't an butt then frankly you are delusional.

I'm sorry if that's vulgar but Sonic always makes fun of crap during serious stuff. This is not a new development.

Also frankly Mega Man is a very, very corny guy.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Meliden » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:17 pm

Plus the normal reality Chaotix and this reality Chaotix aren't even supposed to be the same anyway, so they're not "incomplete".
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby The KKM » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:49 pm

behellmorph wrote:Just read the issue.

Mock him.

What a hero he is.

"Why are my comic-centric concepts not in my game-centric story????? I WANT MIGHTY IN DESPITE NOT BEING IN A GAME SINCE 1755!"

Come on, there's lots of complaints to be had, why harp on the stupid ones.
The KKM
BumbleClan

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius