Grill the Potto - Volume VI

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Grill the Potto - Volume VI

Postby Ian Flynn » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:49 am

Here we go again, folks! Here's some Qs carried over from p16 of the previous Ask Ian thread.

Pundit wrote:You know, Ian, about the "Shine get" thing, "get" or "get-to" is not really intended to be Engrish.

It was my understanding that "engrish" loosely referred to the misuse of English in Japanese culture. Which "Shine Get" would be. It certainly isn't the worst example of it, and we're just as guilty of it over here. Sugoi!

Pundit wrote:Whither Albion/Mercia/Station Square/Mysterious Cat Country? Do you see any of these not-so-principal locations playing a role in the future, or will the comic simply focus on Knothole/Angel Island for now?

Knothole will be our focal point for a good bit.
Angel Island will be touched upon time and again.
Albion has some plans for it
Mercia has some very distant I-haven't-even-fully-thought-of-the-story plans for it
Station Square/United Federation as a whole will be more referenced as anything (for now)
Mysterious Cat Country has no plans for it at the moment.

Goldanas wrote:Yes. I am simply aghast at the fact that you picked that up. I loved that show as a kid and I give you a mighty 'spoot' in reply. Is there no pop culture reference I can't throw at you?

Oh, I'm sure you'll slip many past me, but "Angry Beavers" was perhaps the best comedic 'toon on Nick . . . well, ever. My brother and I had the Old Gramps/Muscular Beaver pair on tape and watched in a few dozens times. Repeatedly. We laughed until we cried. And the Halloween special was inspired.

Sonic922 wrote:Anyway, I know Antoine has gone through a lot, but will he ever have any comical aspect with again, feels kinda bad to have completely departed from SatAM and Early comic.

Antoine's grown, but he's still a bit of a coward at heart. In the face of adversity he will tremble and squeak in terror. Now, though, he'll suck it up and move on where-as he was debilitated by it in the past.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Re: Grill the Potto - Volume VI

Postby ME » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:34 pm

IanPotto wrote:Antoine's grown, but he's still a bit of a coward at heart. In the face of adversity he will tremble and squeak in terror. Now, though, he'll suck it up and move on where-as he was debilitated by it in the past.

Poor poor Antoine.... I miss you.... and your cowardly ways.... Oh I gots me a question for the Bumble King!

Will we be seeing Dulcy any time soon?
ME
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:02 pm

It depends on how you want to define "soon" but definitely next year.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:39 pm

I can't wait to see how Dulcy dies. :D

Postby ME » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:10 pm

IanPotto wrote:It depends on how you want to define "soon" but definitely next year.

That fits within my idea of soon for a comic published every four weeks.
ME
BumbleFan

Postby Goldanas » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:57 am

My brother and I would alway take the time out of playing to sit down and watch the show. It was always very well done and the voice work is probably some of the best I've heard for any one cartoon. To this day, whenever I go up to see my dad, he'll ask if I want to press the poo button.

Anyway, Angry Beavers and my personal feelings on Dulcy aside, the Wii should be coming out pretty soon here. What's you plan of attack, Mr. Flynn?

In addition, dude, no avatar?
Goldanas
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:05 pm

Goldanas wrote:the Wii should be coming out pretty soon here. What's you plan of attack, Mr. Flynn?

The pre-orders sold out in the entire city before I could get off work. That's twelve hours technically, only six hours of normal human operation. So I'll be swinging by the local GameStop for their special midnight opening and see if I can't snatch up an extra machine.

Failing that, I'll walk across the parking lot and see if I can't weasel one out of Wally World. (Wal*Mart).

Failing that, I'll get some sleep, and then resume the hunt in the "morning."

Goldanas wrote: In addition, dude, no avatar?

Should I use my DeviantArt icon? (heh heh)
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Pundit » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:57 pm

Ian, hopefully you'll forgive me for this appalling display of geekiness, but Eggman's line in #168 - the one where he goes "So I'm deleting you from existence, you treasonous waste of coding!" makes me twitch. It just annoys me that the ubergeek of the comic would say that, instead of "waste of code", "waste of memory", "waste of space", "waste of processor time", etc...

There's a question in there somewhere... but anyway I want to assure you that I think everything else about #168 is golden.

Most especially the line about the stars. Warms my heart, it truly does. Do you remember this?

Pundit
BumbleNewbie

Postby Ed Bellis » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:14 am

Nice work on the new issue, Ian. I gotta admit I wasn't a fan of the 25YL finale, but I had faith you'd do more great work here, and you did.

There's one thing that's ALWAYS bothered me about General D'Coolette, though: nobody ever bothered to give the poor dude a first name! And now that he's gone, I doubt he'll get more than just "Ant's Dad." So set the record straight - Francois? Charlemagne? Zangief? I'm losing sleep over this! =P
Ed Bellis
BumbleFan

Postby sonicxfactor » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:38 am

IanPotto wrote:
Goldanas wrote:the Wii should be coming out pretty soon here. What's you plan of attack, Mr. Flynn?

The pre-orders sold out in the entire city before I could get off work. That's twelve hours technically, only six hours of normal human operation. So I'll be swinging by the local GameStop for their special midnight opening and see if I can't snatch up an extra machine.

Failing that, I'll walk across the parking lot and see if I can't weasel one out of Wally World. (Wal*Mart).

Failing that, I'll get some sleep, and then resume the hunt in the "morning."

Good luck on getting one Ian.

The Wii comes out over here in the UK on the 8th of December but thankfully I pr-ordered mine as soon as game shops started taking them and just the other day I got a letter saying I can pick my Wii up on the 8th launch. Which is great which means I can just walk in after work and pick it up there and then.

Other then that Ian what games are you gonna get with your Wii once you get your hands on one and will you be downloading any games from the Virtual Console service?

and just for fun I'm gonna try and make a Mii version of you and post it here.
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

Postby Ian Flynn » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:52 am

Eric Bell wrote:There's one thing that's ALWAYS bothered me about General D'Coolette, though: nobody ever bothered to give the poor dude a first name! And now that he's gone, I doubt he'll get more than just "Ant's Dad." So set the record straight - Francois? Charlemagne? Zangief? I'm losing sleep over this! =P

In my mind I called him "Pierre," but I think Mike fancied another name. It's a moot point now - unless we look at his tombstone at some point.

sonicxfactor wrote:Other then that Ian what games are you gonna get with your Wii once you get your hands on one and will you be downloading any games from the Virtual Console service?

For right now it's just Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and Sonic and the Secret of the Rings in March. Since I'm already going to be playing two other Sonic games during this time, my attention will be divided enough as-is.

That, and I haven't heard of anything that immediately catches my interest. Red Steel's concept/sword fighting sounds cool.

No Virtual Console stuff for me for now. I need a WiFi (WiiFii?) connection for that, and it seems a little silly to invest in a wireless hub just so I can spend more money.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Sonic922 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:10 pm

Do you know what's going on with you and Next Gen Sonic. If you wanted to write an adaption, could you write off the game like you did for the last 2(you mentioned that on another topic, I can't remember where).

Also,if you did want to write a story, but Sonic Cult has given awy their copy of the script of the website. However, I think it's just the subtitle layut because there's not stage notes nad the fight scenes are Just SONIC: Aaaaaaaah!
TAILS: Nooooooooooooo.

However, the article says the script was created in 2002, so they may have updated it to explain how Blaze know SOnic, or put in mentions of the Black Comet, or stuff like that.
Sonic922
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:28 pm

I'm not sure how much I can comment on my involvement with Sonic Next, even with pretty much all the chips on the table now. I suppose some key points would be okay, but understand I can't/won't be expounding on them for a long time, if ever:
- no planned tie-in with the game in the comic
- no immediate plans for Elise/Silver/Mephiles/Iblis
- I've seen a little bit more than what Sonic Cult delivered and that was awhile ago
- no planned tie-in for Sonic Rivals, either
- part of the reason for all this is ongoing, and I will very happily give you all a heads up when the time is right - way, way down the line.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby BlueFantasy » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:42 pm

Haha, we say Wally World around here too. :D

Hm... let me rephrase, if I may. Say Sonia and Manic had not been written yet. Given the chance, how would you write for them, such as names, and description? I'm totally turned off by children that are only clones. I would have liked it better if, say, Sonia had blue hair or something. Or at least her own hairstyle. >_> Lara-Su was original! :D

Where is my stinkin issue? Why hasn't it come in the mail yet? ::cries:: Okay, I know you can't asnwer that. ;)
BlueFantasy
BumbleKnight

Postby Goldanas » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:36 pm

Yo, Ian. Still haven't gotten my 168 in the mail yet, so I've been trying to skip over the posts as best I can. I may have spoiled it for myself, anyway, but if I tell myself I haven't, I won't have!

Anywho, with all the discussion of game adaptations as of late, something occured to me. Why wouldn't you guys just do the adaptations in Sonic X? The show was modeled after the recent array of games, so it would be a simple transition for the comic. Things would easily fall into place, as the ground work is essentially layed out for it. Not to mention, the book doesn't exactly have a huge amount of back story as it is.

So what's the deal? Did you guys have something else in mind, is that what the deal is, or is there some conflict I don't know about?
Goldanas
BumbleFan

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius