Ask Ian #5 - The Return

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby Dirk Amoeba » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:23 pm

IanPotto wrote:I saw the animated series of the former, but neither of the films.

B&B, who have been compared repeatedly to Jay and Silent Bob, resemble the Jay and Bob of the animated series far better than the Jay and Bob of the films.

Clerks and II are both good films, and very different from one another. I'd reccomend em.

As for Snakes... it's worth a watch, particularly if you're among a group of your friends.
Dirk Amoeba
BumbleFan

Postby General Tekno » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:41 pm

You really must see Snakes on a Plane. That movie was awesome!

And Clerks II was good as well, as is the Animated Series.
General Tekno
BumbleKnight

Postby sonicxfactor » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:18 pm

I thought Snakes on a Plane was great fun, it shouldn’t work as the name says it’s about Snakes on a Plane. It sounds like a cheap straight to video B movie but Samuel L. Jackson somehow makes it work.

As for Clerks there’s a 10th anniversary 3 disk DVD out which contains two versions of the film and a whole load of extras. It’s a great film and anybody who likes Kevin Smiths work will have seen this. It one of his best but for me its really a 50/50 battle between this and Chasing Amy.

Dirk Amoeba wrote:
B&B, who have been compared repeatedly to Jay and Silent Bob, resemble the Jay and Bob of the animated series far better than the Jay and Bob of the films.

I’ve not seen the animated series but your right in saying that Bean & Bark resemble Jay & Silent Bob in some way or another, Bean being the hyper active one and Bark being the quite type.

It’s a good thing though that they don’t stand outside the Knothole Quick Stop and sell weed or else Archie would be in series trouble.
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

Postby General Tekno » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:49 pm

Well, who says it HAS to be weed?

Maybe bootleg Eggman paraphenalia? Like some sort of device that gives one a euphoria but overtime reprograms them into Eggman's slaves?
General Tekno
BumbleKnight

Postby Dirk Amoeba » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:22 pm

Which is why they're more like the animated version. In the films, they're dealers. In the cartoon, they're just general mischief makers.
Dirk Amoeba
BumbleFan

Postby BlueFantasy » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:26 pm

Me got question! :D I know for a fact you have worked with Tracy Yardley! and John Gray on your fan comics before, and you may have worked with others who are now with Archie. I was wondering, is it coincidence that you all ended up working together in this profession, or did someone suggest someone (i.e. John Gray showed up first so did he suggest you to the editors as a new writer?) Also, have you considered suggesting to the editors any other writers or artists that you know or are a fan of?
BlueFantasy
BumbleKnight

Postby Tracy Yardley! » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:13 pm

BlueFantasy wrote: I know for a fact you have worked with Tracy Yardley! and John Gray on your fan comics before,

I never worked on any fan comics. John Gray may have, I don't know. But I got the job because a friend of a friend who knows Mike knew he was looking to find someone more stable for the book and gave me Mike's number. Ian can still handle the rest of your question ;)

Tracy!
Tracy Yardley!

Postby BlueFantasy » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:06 pm

Oh, my bad! I was thinking I recognized your art from Other-M, but now I realize I was wrong. X3 Sorry 'bout that.
BlueFantasy
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:23 pm

BlueFantasy wrote:Me got question! :D I know for a fact you have worked with Tracy Yardley! and John Gray on your fan comics before, and you may have worked with others who are now with Archie. I was wondering, is it coincidence that you all ended up working together in this profession, or did someone suggest someone (i.e. John Gray showed up first so did he suggest you to the editors as a new writer?) Also, have you considered suggesting to the editors any other writers or artists that you know or are a fan of?

As Tracy already clarified, he never worked on that fancomic. (Oh how glorious it would have been if he had, though...)

I'd worked with Jon Gray some to get in. He helped me navigate the channels a little, but most of our work together was done when we were both official. I never got to work with Dawn or Jef.

There are a very, very few people I've worked with that I've tried to help push through. My vouching only counts for so much, tho' - those folks have to prove themselves. I will help anyone with tips and pointing in the right direction, though.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Faded-Myth » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:59 pm

IanPotto wrote:You may refer to me as He Who is All-Knowing, the Lord High Master of All Things, His Eminence and Gloriousness, the Eternal and Beloved BumbleKing!

Hey, Doc Spudmuffin, got a question for ya.

Did you miss me? I've been gone for a while, since I've been busy organising getting into the US, (applyng for college as an international student, so I can be with my sweety), but I'm back now.

Here's a real question: The ending to 25 Years Later obviously isn't canon, but how does the ending make you feel personally? Just out of curiosity. I'm not asking in hopes that it hints what direction you want Sonic and Sally's relationship to go in. I'm just wondering, because this is a possible resolution to Sonic's life, which is a pretty big deal. Did you find it satisfying? Something you'd expect?

Personally, it made me feel warm and fuzzy, and Tracy as officially drawn the best Sonic page ever inmy opinion XD I could almsot just stop reading the comics and just heave a heavy sigh of happiness.
But then I'd miss out on all the fun D= So I won't. XD
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Postby ChaosJam » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:15 pm

Hey Ian...a couple of quick questions that have about the newer issues

1. Why did you have Robotnik come for Snively in Ties that Bind when earlier he said he was done with all his side-kicks like M? He knows he can't trust him and his anger over M's betrayl showed how fed up he was with all of it.

2. What exactly was the Metal Snively project?

3. Does Tails know something that we and Sonic don't know yet while he was there when Sleuth and Fiona were talking to each other when u hinted more at her shady past?

Thanks alot and keep up the good work. Loved the recent 25 years later arch and hope to see more of that soon.
ChaosJam
BumbleNoble

Through the Looking Glass

Postby Goldanas » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:23 pm

Your Eminence, I bid you but a query in your presence. I beg your will to answer.

*cough*

Anyhow, Ian, I was flipping through some of the pages of 165, admiring the work, and something caught my eye. I'd noticed it before, but the thought didn't occur to me. There is currently a split in the legion: they've divided into the Frost and Flame legion. The Flame legion is led by the infamous dominatrix we all know and love, Lien-Da. The Frost legion, however, is led by an unknown character who bears more than a striking resemblence to a one Kragok. Now this would be an interresting parallel as they were siblings, and a conflict between them would only lead to great things story-wise.

However, this cannot be the case, as demonstrated in the landmark issue 100, Kragok dies thanks to the sacrifice of the real Tobor. Now, we all know your policy, dead is dead, so there won't be any returns of any long lost souls.

So this begs the question: who could this be? Could it be someone entirely new, or Could it possibly be a long lost son coming to realization after just narrowly escaping egg grape imprisonment?

Hmmmmmmmm.... Curiouser and curiouser.... Mr. Flynn?
Goldanas
BumbleFan

Postby Goldanas » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:33 pm

ChaosJam wrote:2. What exactly was the Metal Snively project?

There's nothing to it as far as actual published info goes. It was a one-panel shot in issue #140

I believe it was mentioned on here somewhere that it was someone's intention to either cover up a mistake made in one of the issues or was to be later used as a plot device. I'm not sure so don't quote me on it. I know it was made reference to on Page 8 of Ask Ian: Additional Extensions!

As to your first question, I believed it's been adressed a few times in regard to the time line of the TDS/TthB (i.e. Page 11 of Ask Ian: Additional Extensions!), but I don't think it's actually been answered.
Care to elaborate, Ian?

Also, Mr. Flynn, you mentioned in #163's script bits that you had an original team of Destructix. I think it would be a great service to us all if you provided any information available (concept art?). It could possibly allow insight into your creative process and possibly draw parallels between the fan and the professional.
Well, Ian, would you do us this service? Please?

...One last thing...
Although you weren't involved, do you know what is up with Locke's very different redesign. I know that "a lot can happen in a year", but it just seems that there is more to this. I mean, he's brown, now, as opposed to his original color of red. On top of that he's sporting some new duds and some fancy new chin and eyebrow fuzz. Is this just part of the aging process or a product of grief, stress and torture?

Thanks again, Ian.
Goldanas
BumbleFan

Postby Kureejii Lea » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:06 pm

Goldanas: If you need to add something to your post, please use the edit function instead of double posting. Thanks.

Also, just something to keep in mind, guys... think about the kinds of questions you're asking here. If the only possible answer would involve giving away entire future plot points and the like, you shouldn't ask. :wink:
Kureejii Lea
BumbleKween

Postby ChaosJam » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:33 pm

sorry if ur talking about my questions Kureejii Lea, i'll try to make sure to keep on that...Ian u can give me just a simple yes/no answer if u want...thanks Goldanas for the one shot of the metal snively, i never actually was able to get my hands on that issue so i had no idea what the brief view even looked liked...also u ask very good insightful questions so keep it up...also i love ur pic of the old problem we all had in Sonic 3 haha...made me laugh
ChaosJam
BumbleNoble

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius