Sonic RPG...

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby Elias Acorn » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:17 am

I hope this is good, in the last couple of years their Sonic the hedgehog games were quite disappointing. (Except Sonic Adventure 2 Battle for Game cube =D ) But the latest one for Xbox 360.. uugh..

Anyways Bioware and Square Enix are probably the best RPG makers out there. I perfer Square Enix, merely because their Final Fantasy games are always such a hit with awsome stories, But i trust Bioware to make this good.

actually.. come to think of it, i would LOVE to see an RPG based on the comics, with all the Comic Book Series characters in it.
Elias Acorn
BumbleNewbie

Postby Zulon Eredas » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:55 pm

Not sure if this was already known but it's been confirmed that GUN will have a role in the storyline.

tssznews wrote:New information on the storyline has also been revealed, which it is now known that G.U.N. (first making a appearance in Sonic Adventure 2) will enlist Sonic and friends to find Knuckles (who disappeared while protecting Chaos Emeralds). Beings from an alternative dimension, the Zoah, come into play soon after.

http://www.tssznews.com/2008/06/09/new- ... t-details/

BTW welcome aboard Elias :wink:

EDIT

New developer blog

http://blogs.sega.com/sonic/2008/06/06/ ... /#more-137
Zulon Eredas
BumbleNoble

Postby Elias Acorn » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:02 pm

Zulon Eredas wrote:Not sure if this was already known but it's been confirmed that GUN will have a role in the storyline.

tssznews wrote:New information on the storyline has also been revealed, which it is now known that G.U.N. (first making a appearance in Sonic Adventure 2) will enlist Sonic and friends to find Knuckles (who disappeared while protecting Chaos Emeralds). Beings from an alternative dimension, the Zoah, come into play soon after.

http://www.tssznews.com/2008/06/09/new- ... t-details/

BTW welcome aboard Elias :wink:

EDIT

New developer blog

http://blogs.sega.com/sonic/2008/06/06/ ... /#more-137

thank you ^^,
Elias Acorn
BumbleNewbie

Postby Zulon Eredas » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:21 pm

Sonic Stadium has an article on their playthrough of the recent build of the game.

http://www.sonicstadium.org/features/pr ... #more-1816

Ha! It looks like GUN Commander will also be part of the main quest giving out missions.
Zulon Eredas
BumbleNoble

Postby bsonic10 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:17 pm

Interesting article you found there. So we get to see the GUN commander (although according to them in catoony form). It also hints that Espio and Vector will be playable (or at least that you can discover more depth to their characters). I'm assuming that the Swatbot reference was a typo, and that they meant badniks/eggpawns.
bsonic10
BumbleClan

Postby shigamado » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:35 am

Uhhh.. nope. They even * it to let you know they MEAN Swatbots. If true, that's just awesome.
shigamado
BumbleClan

Postby MissCassidy » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:43 am

"We're thrilled to be working with SEGA on Sonic, one of the industry's most enduring and compelling icons," said Greg Zeschuk, president of BioWare. "As huge fans of Sonic ourselves, we're committed to delivering a truly amazing story-driven experience within the Sonic universe, focusing on capturing the character's broad appeal and placing him in a completely original adventure," added Ray Muzyka, chief executive officer of BioWare.

The relationship with BioWare reinforces SEGA's increased emphasis on Western content development for Western audiences.

Hmmmm

I have played BioWare's Baldurs Gate and Neverwinter Nights. Both were very good. They had amazing animation and were fun to play co-op. They sucked single player tho.

I highlighted the parts of the quote that bother me but also excite me too.

A) They are huge fans of the Sonic Universe. What universe is that? The western (dominated by Archie comics), or the Japanese (Sonic X and later Sonic games featuring the Sonic Japanese characters). If it's the latter, Sonic Western I'm more than happy to buy the game. If it's another game full of characters I don't really like that are over played and over exploited then, no, I'm not buying it. (although I am not meaning this as a slight against Shadow, Silver, Cream, Rouge fans I just don't like the characters they are too powerful and are used too much, and Cream just disturbs me)

B)They are commited to delivering a story-driven experience. Well if that's the case, then the Archie series has DEFINATELY got great stories to work from. There are loads of characters and arcs to pull ideas from, not to mention the writers who I'm sure would be delighted in creating a story exclusively for the game. What better resource than to use those who already have an idea what direction they see mobius going. **shrug** :)

C)Western Content for Western Audiences. That could mean a lot of stuff. I'm not really sure how to take it.

D) Focusing on capturing Sonic's broad appeal. Hmmm what is the longest running comic in the industry for Sonic? Archie. What is an internationally distributed comic? Archie. What comic over the years has grown from it's weakness and kept going? Archie. So looking at the numbers and stuff Sonic games only were accessable to those people with enough money to buy the system, so in a way that was a limited audience. The only form of mass media used that was accessable to everyone at a reasonable price was the comics post SatAM and between SatAM and Sonic Underground, then for about 5-7 years it was nothing until Sonic X came out for those lucky enough to have cable/satellite to watch it.

So I think it would be safe to say that Sonic Comic kept the worlds eye on that blue hedgie, with an interesting storyline and unique characters.

With that in mind I have mixed feelings about this game. I think BioWare has the ability to make a great RPG, but I hope and pray that they at least take into consideration the blood, sweat, and tears of artists and writers who have gotten Sonic where he is today.

**Rant over**

WOW just saw the trailer
a) I love the comic feel to it. (Nice nod)
b) WHAAAT They haven't changed the cast. :(

MOD EDIT: Stop multi-posting. EDIT.
MissCassidy
BumbleCitizen

Postby Sockie » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:53 am

Sockie
BumbleNoble

Postby Zulon Eredas » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:12 am

G-Mel wrote:http://www.n-europe.com/preview.php?prid=272

Dexter's playable.

Nice find
Zulon Eredas
BumbleNoble

Postby bsonic10 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:12 pm

Huh, that star wasn't there when I originally read the article.

Well according to the article, Chaos will be in the game. As far as Dexter being playable, that's interesting I guess. At least we'll meet him and he'll have some character growth.
bsonic10
BumbleClan

Postby Zulon Eredas » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:41 pm

bsonic10 wrote:Huh, that star wasn't there when I originally read the article.

Well according to the article, Chaos will be in the game. As far as Dexter being playable, that's interesting I guess. At least we'll meet him and he'll have some character growth.

Actually, I think they mean Chao.
Zulon Eredas
BumbleNoble

Postby Aurora_Redwinters » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:18 pm

Is there a picture of this Dexter anywhere?
Aurora_Redwinters
BumbleNoble

Postby bsonic10 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:26 pm

Zulon Eredas wrote:
bsonic10 wrote:Huh, that star wasn't there when I originally read the article.

Actually, I think they mean Chao.

Oh :(hearty laughter):, you might be right.
bsonic10
BumbleClan

Postby Ian Flynn » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:44 pm

They meant the plural of chao.

Dexter is not playable. I can't really back that up right now, but trust me, he's not.

The article is rubbish.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby GameBuddy » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:13 am

Any article who still says "chaos" for "plural of chao" can't be trusted worth a flip.
GameBuddy
BumbleCult

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius