Death Battle: Mega Man Vs. Astro Boy

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Up comming Death Battle Mega Man Vs Astro Boy

Postby Unknownshadow675 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:49 am

Who was the winner? I don't have any time to really sit down and watch it.
Unknownshadow675
BumbleFan

Postby DoNotDelete » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:58 am

Unknownshadow675 wrote:Who was the winner? I don't have any time to really sit down and watch it.

Spoiler: show
Astro Boy.
DoNotDelete
BumbleCitizen

Postby FeroMcPigletron » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:58 am

Surprisingly a lot of Atomic Fire (versus Mighty Atom) but no use of Astro Crush.
FeroMcPigletron
BumbleFan

Postby Unknownshadow675 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:28 am

DoNotDelete wrote:
Unknownshadow675 wrote:Who was the winner? I don't have any time to really sit down and watch it.

Astro Boy.

Really? Now I'm curious as to how the winner won and why.

I guess I'll make time for it later.
Unknownshadow675
BumbleFan

Postby lalalei2001 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:35 pm

Unknownshadow675 wrote:
DoNotDelete wrote:

Astro Boy.

They used a composite version of Astro Boy, which included ALL his feats, and, well...

The hosts acknowledge that the variety of Mega Man's weapons were a definite edge in the fight, but the only one he had over Astro Boy. Comparing the pair's lifting strengths, Mega Man lifting Wily's sixty-thousand ton castle is an impressive feat, but pales to Astro Boy carrying a hundred-ton cruiser out from the ocean with ease, compared to Mega Man only able to carry the castle long enough to ensure an escape. With speed, Mega Man could trade blows with Quick Man, said to move faster than lightning, but is outshone by Astro Boy once again, who, after patching his relationship with Umataro, circled the entirety of earth in under two seconds at speeds of almost forty-five million miles per hour. Lastly, Astro Boy has shown himself capable of surviving atomic disintegration and bombs designed to withstand solar flares. While Mega Man had the edge in one factor, Astro Boy ultimate took greater advantages through fields where it mattered most.

Poor Mega Man XD; I saw another battle by a different team where Mega Man won because that version of Astro wasn't a composite.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:21 pm

All Death Battles are generally composites of the characters, though.

Anyway...

After the tale of the tape, I figured that Mega Man might outlast Astro Boy's battery, or even pop his limbs loose. Was kind of surprised it didn't go that way.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Unknownshadow675 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:32 pm

lalalei2001 wrote:
Unknownshadow675 wrote:
DoNotDelete wrote:

Astro Boy.

They used a composite version of Astro Boy, which included ALL his feats, and, well...

The hosts acknowledge that the variety of Mega Man's weapons were a definite edge in the fight, but the only one he had over Astro Boy. Comparing the pair's lifting strengths, Mega Man lifting Wily's sixty-thousand ton castle is an impressive feat, but pales to Astro Boy carrying a hundred-ton cruiser out from the ocean with ease, compared to Mega Man only able to carry the castle long enough to ensure an escape. With speed, Mega Man could trade blows with Quick Man, said to move faster than lightning, but is outshone by Astro Boy once again, who, after patching his relationship with Umataro, circled the entirety of earth in under two seconds at speeds of almost forty-five million miles per hour. Lastly, Astro Boy has shown himself capable of surviving atomic disintegration and bombs designed to withstand solar flares. While Mega Man had the edge in one factor, Astro Boy ultimate took greater advantages through fields where it mattered most.

Poor Mega Man XD; I saw another battle by a different team where Mega Man won because that version of Astro wasn't a composite.

I see. Thanks for explaining that. Makes watching the video a non-issue.
Unknownshadow675
BumbleFan

Postby Astrobot7000 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:38 am

Holy cow. I had no idea Astro Boy was so OP!

It makes me wonder what kind of enemies he must fight.
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby Acrosurge » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:31 pm

I don't think Astro is overpowered, the Death Battle crew simply decided not to highlight all of his weaknesses, especially in battle. For instance, prolonged exposure to temperatures of 3,000 C will melt him. Electricity will also short out his abilities and he has been completely destroyed by missiles. He doesn't weather weaponized freezing weapons very well either and is prone to exhausting his fuel supply by exerting his strength or using his Arm Cannon.

I'm really not sure about that travel around the world speed feat for Astro, either (that scene from the 2003 anime is extremely ambiguous and likely to be intended as a metaphorical image). Astro does, however have incredible physical strength and resistance to physical attack (blunt force blows and also resistance to being crushed by heavy mass).
Acrosurge
BumbleFan

Postby Azul » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:16 pm

Acrosurge wrote:I don't think Astro is overpowered, the Death Battle crew simply decided not to highlight all of his weaknesses, especially in battle. For instance, prolonged exposure to temperatures of 3,000 C will melt him. Electricity will also short out his abilities and he has been completely destroyed by missiles. He doesn't weather weaponized freezing weapons very well either and is prone to exhausting his fuel supply by exerting his strength or using his Arm Cannon.

I'm really not sure about that travel around the world speed feat for Astro, either (that scene from the 2003 anime is extremely ambiguous and likely to be intended as a metaphorical image). Astro does, however have incredible physical strength and resistance to physical attack (blunt force blows and also resistance to being crushed by heavy mass).

Then Megs could have won any number of ways. Lately, Screw Attack has had this habbit of making the losses seem so one sided by missing important, and obvious, information about the characters they've claimed to do extensive research on but end up confusing facts and sometimes making them up. They're not a reliable source of information on feats. You're way better off reading a wiki.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:29 pm

Personally I agree that Wiz and Boomstick aren't always right about specific strengths and weaknesses, but I think that usually this wouldn't change outcome of the fight.

For example Knuckles VS Donkey Kong. I have a lot of reservations toward "DK can move the moon" (Diddy did that too, does that mean he's stronger then Knux too?), but in the end there are many other proofs that DK is stronger.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby Acrosurge » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:09 pm

Death Battle is interesting, but it is neither a reputable nor balanced source of analysis for character comparison. I have my reservations regarding Knuckles vs DK (as well as Gaara vs Toph), however match-ups like Kirby vs Buu and Cloud vs Link were... ludicrously flawed in their analysis in the case of the former and lacking in their balance in the latter. Goku vs Superman, the rematch, also had severe lapses in logic as well as character information (are we using Silver Age Superman or not?).

As far as Mega Man vs Astro Boy is concerned, that battle (in both analysis and execution) could have gone either way. Astro Boy is certainly stronger physically and initially more mobile, however, a full analysis of the character reveals a number weaknesses for Mega Man to exploit.

The more weapons you give Mega Man, the more the odds swing in his favor. That is especially true in this fight, as Astro has weaknesses to numerous weapons in Rock's arsenal.

DoNotDelete wrote:Nothing about Mega Man's weakness to spikes - which to me has always seemed like his Achilles's heel.
Likely because Mega Man has no weakness to spikes. Unless you are referring to Spike Traps, which are unique in their design and function compared to regular spikes.

Spikes do not kill Mega Man instantly. Only special Spike Traps kill him instantly. Someone really ought to write a wiki about the difference.
Acrosurge
BumbleFan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:02 pm

Not like those are specific to Mega Man, either -- they'll kill just about anyone the same way.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Acrosurge » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:54 pm

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Not like those are specific to Mega Man, either -- they'll kill just about anyone the same way.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
Do you know if Robert Oakes, #20, or any other deep-lore masters might have any official information regarding Spike Traps? I'd like to revise some of the wikis with some hard sources, if they exist. There is a strong case for Spike Traps utilizing mono-molecular technology, but stated facts always trump theories.
Acrosurge
BumbleFan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:55 am

Nothing I'm aware of. Never heard anything even close to resembling lore surrounding the spikes.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

PreviousNext

Return to For Everlasting Peace!