Death Battle: Mega Man Vs. Astro Boy

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Up comming Death Battle Mega Man Vs Astro Boy

Postby Acrosurge » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:29 am

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Nothing I'm aware of. Never heard anything even close to resembling lore surrounding the spikes.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

The theory will have to do, then. Thanks to Deathtanz Mantisk (confirmation of mono-molecular technology) and Dr. Light's Shock Guards being short lived energy shields, I believe the theory of Spike Traps being sharpened at the molecular level is a strong one. Of course, there is that Rockman 5 manga reference to Spike Traps being designed to rapidly drain Mega Man's power through touch. That could be the mechanism behind their function.

The difficulty of creating and maintaining such a structure would account for why Wily doesn't simply use them on all of his mecha, or create entire fortresses of Spike Traps.
Acrosurge
BumbleFan

Postby Tahtorak » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:04 pm

Would the match have ended differently if it was "Mega Man X vs Astro Boy?"
Tahtorak
BumbleFan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:58 pm

Tahtorak wrote:Would the match have ended differently if it was "Mega Man X vs Astro Boy?"

In theory, though it's arguable with Death Battle's research.

The name "X" represents his potential as a variable, virtually if not entirely without limits. In theory, X's ability to grow and evolve, something lacking in the original Mega Man, could potentially allow him to overcome nearly anything.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby DoNotDelete » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:24 am

Acrosurge wrote:
DoNotDelete wrote:Nothing about Mega Man's weakness to spikes - which to me has always seemed like his Achilles's heel.

Likely because Mega Man has no weakness to spikes. Unless you are referring to Spike Traps, which are unique in their design and function compared to regular spikes.

Spikes do not kill Mega Man instantly. Only special Spike Traps kill him instantly. Someone really ought to write a wiki about the difference.

Nice of you to point out the distinction between the two but it hardly makes any difference to the point I was trying to make; All Astro Boy had to do was throw Mega Man down onto a spike pit and that would've been all she wrote.

Not that I want to get into a serious discussion about a silly 'deaf battul'.

Ever.

Acrosurge wrote:
LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Nothing I'm aware of. Never heard anything even close to resembling lore surrounding the spikes.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

The theory will have to do, then. Thanks to Deathtanz Mantisk (confirmation of mono-molecular technology) and Dr. Light's Shock Guards being short lived energy shields, I believe the theory of Spike Traps being sharpened at the molecular level is a strong one. Of course, there is that Rockman 5 manga reference to Spike Traps being designed to rapidly drain Mega Man's power through touch. That could be the mechanism behind their function.

The difficulty of creating and maintaining such a structure would account for why Wily doesn't simply use them on all of his mecha, or create entire fortresses of Spike Traps.

I think you're going to extraordinary lengths to try and prove something that isn't really very important here.

All that needs to be said is that Mega Man can't survive contact with spike traps. Digging deeper into that truth with pseudo-scientific theories about nano-sharpening and energy shields just feels silly.
DoNotDelete
BumbleCitizen

Postby Acrosurge » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:11 am

I guess I enjoy uncovering the minutiae in Mega Man lore and digging deep into the series. That, and misconceptions, like spikes popping Mega Man like a balloon, are relevant to the discussion of Mega Man vs Astro Boy. If Mega Man has a weakness to all spikes (which he does not), then Astro could certainly use that against him. However, if the Spike hazards will instantly kill anyone (likely, since Bass and Proto Man fall prey to them) as LBD suggested last page, then the playing field becomes level, as Mega Man could just as easily knock Astro into them for an end to the battle.

Back to the minutiae; I'm not sure how many people ever considered where Eddie's items come from, then low and behold, Capcom releases a tidbit of info that Eddie is equipped with a teleporter that moves items from Light's lab to supply Mega Man, even deep in enemy territory. I love that stuff!
Acrosurge
BumbleFan

Postby lalalei2001 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:28 pm

I was just about to guess that Eddie was equipped with a teleporter and then I read that that IS what happens.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Mordum » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:35 am

I seriously had to Google Deathtanz Mantisk to see if that was a real name a character had.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Re: Death Battle: Mega Man Vs. Astro Boy

Postby The KKM » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:21 am

And isn't that the best kind of name?
The KKM
BumbleClan

Re: Death Battle: Mega Man Vs. Astro Boy

Postby Mordum » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:44 pm

It's the kind of name that makes me want to wake up in the morning.

Also, y'know, while I have no interest in X, Zero always seemed really cool. At least, I really love the art style.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Previous

Return to For Everlasting Peace!