Mega Man to Reboot in 2017 with Cartoon (?)

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Mega Man to Reboot in 2017 with Cartoon (?)

Postby Mordum » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:42 am

Gauntlet101010 wrote:Creators often have a very different perspective than we do.

This needs to be routinely emphasized is almost every context.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:23 pm

Mordum wrote:
Gauntlet101010 wrote:Creators often have a very different perspective than we do.

Problem is that the stuff creators make are for fans. Though i would not mind a reboot. I was actually interest3d in that mmx fps
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Mordum » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:38 am

Mavrickindigo wrote:
Mordum wrote:

Problem is that the stuff creators make are for fans. Though i would not mind a reboot. I was actually interest3d in that mmx fps

I would make a legitimate argument for a difference between fan and consumer, and that no writing that tries to be done through the perspective of a fan ever turns out any good.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby Mavrickindigo » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:12 am

Mordum wrote:
Mavrickindigo wrote:
Mordum wrote:

I would make a legitimate argument for a difference between fan and consumer, and that no writing that tries to be done through the perspective of a fan ever turns out any good.

seems like an argument of semantics, as I think I was going more for what you said was "consumers" with what I considered "fans"
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:21 am

The KKM wrote:What? No, the New 52 acted as a replacement to the DC Universe that existed at the time, MMBN is a reboot in the sense it went back to the start but at the same time they never pretended it was replacing anything :V

EXE most definitely replaced the Classic series for a time. I don't know what to tell you. If the number of games dolled out didn't convince you maybe the anime, manga series, and toyline would? EXE was a pretty big deal.

Bear in mind, I'm talking about what the main, kid-oriented MM is from Capcom's point of view, not what we fans would consider "canon" in storytelling. Again, what Capcom considers important is different from what we would consider important.
Gauntlet101010
BumbleFan

Postby The KKM » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:01 pm

I know EXE was a big deal, but they never ever pretended it was replacing the existence of other lines. They kept making X games and Zero games while making MMBN, and they never ever said "Classic never happened, MMBN is what happened!" They just shifted focus onto a new branch- that's not a reboot, and it is not AT ALL what New 52 did.
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby BlazeHeatnix » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:05 pm

MMBN "replaced" the original series in the sense that it was the new lighthearted kid-oriented series where the Classic games had run their course. But in a literal sense, it didn't replace the classic games as both series we're going on at the same time. Mega Man & Bass was released in 2003. To call BN a reboot is silly, as that would be like calling Sonic Boom a reboot.
BlazeHeatnix
BumbleCitizen

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:43 pm

The New 52 replaced all of it's mainline heroes with new versions of them. Battle Network replaced the classics as Capcom's main kid-friendly Megaman with new versions of the classic cast. Arguing that it didn't is just ignoring how big EXE was at the time and how dead Classic was.

A repackaged game is not the series "still going on". It's Capcom making a quick buck. Just like it's still doing. Capcom's good at that.

Capcom doesn't need to say "the classic series never happened" for them to replace any Megaman with another. They just need to move their focus. Which is what they did.

I don't really know anything about Sonic Boom, so I can't comment on that.

Edit: Anyway, this is exactly what I mean about fan perspective being different from a corporation's or a creator's perspective. Both the EXE and New 52 universes replaced something prior. Characters were redesigned for a new audience and their entire world was rethought. The corporations pushed both as the new, main versions of each franchise in their respective fields. The older versions went away with a bone or two tossed every now and then.

Yet, somehow, the New 52 is a reboot here and EXE is just a "new iteration", which is somehow different. The creatives forces behind both are the same. The effects are the same. And yet it's fan perception which is different.
Gauntlet101010
BumbleFan

Postby FritzyBeat » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:46 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing a legit anime based off of either the original Megaman or Megaman X (maybe Megaman Legends too). Day of Sigma was really cool in the sense that it felt like an actual anime, though it certainly could have been better XP I dunno how well the art style would translate into an American cartoon unless they mimicked the original art style, But i have an open mind c:

That being said, I am referring mostly to if they made a show BASED on the original Megaman or Megaman X games. I am always much more skeptical about a reboot, especially when you already have a very popular established universe and story with a TON of untapped potential and material to explore.

Reboots can be messy like that when it's obvious there is still stuff to build on in the old continuity, they can just come across as lazy, as though they just don't want to put in the time to really dive into how they can bring the Megaman universe to life in a TV show, so instead just wing it like "We'll make up our own stuff then!" :P

That being said, supposing they DO make a reboot show, I wouldn't be surprised if they made it really good. I just also wouldn't be surprised if it came across really lazily =P
FritzyBeat
BumbleClan

Postby The KKM » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:57 pm

Gauntlet101010 wrote:The New 52 replaced all of it's mainline heroes with new versions of them. Battle Network replaced the classics as Capcom's main kid-friendly Megaman with new versions of the classic cast. Arguing that it didn't is just ignoring how big EXE was at the time and how dead Classic was.

A repackaged game is not the series "still going on". It's Capcom making a quick buck. Just like it's still doing. Capcom's good at that.

Capcom doesn't need to say "the classic series never happened" for them to replace any Megaman with another. They just need to move their focus. Which is what they did.

Edit: Anyway, this is exactly what I mean about fan perspective being different from a corporation's or a creator's perspective. Both the EXE and New 52 universes replaced something prior. Characters were redesigned for a new audience and their entire world was rethought. The corporations pushed both as the new, main versions of each franchise in their respective fields. The older versions went away with a bone or two tossed every now and then.

Yet, somehow, the New 52 is a reboot here and EXE is just a "new iteration", which is somehow different. The creatives forces behind both are the same. The effects are the same. And yet it's fan perception which is different.

Because when the comic companies call something a reboot, they're literally using the term from a fan perspective. For the New 52 to be a reboot, it literally needed to erase the classic DC line first. There was no "shifting of focus into another line", it was "NOW IT IS ALL GONE AND THIS IS ALL THERE WILL BE IN THE FUTURE TOUGH LUCK", which is not what Capcom did.

Powered Up was a reboot. Had it been a success and all merchandise and all the existence of Classic from that point on been based on Powered Up, you could call it a New 52 reboot, even. But Battle Network?

Battle Network, if you want to insist in comparing to comic companies, was a more successful Ultimate Marvel. "What if the start of this franchise was updated and different? Badabing badaboom, there you go. It's not replacing anything, but we're going to start focusing on this as its side thing. If it sells well enough, we might even focus on it enti- oh, it isn't selling enough? Oh ok"
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:01 pm

The KKM wrote:
Gauntlet101010 wrote:The New 52 replaced all of it's mainline heroes with new versions of them. Battle Network replaced the classics as Capcom's main kid-friendly Megaman with new versions of the classic cast. Arguing that it didn't is just ignoring how big EXE was at the time and how dead Classic was.

Because when the comic companies call something a reboot, they're literally using the term from a fan perspective. For the New 52 to be a reboot, it literally needed to erase the classic DC line first. There was no "shifting of focus into another line", it was "NOW IT IS ALL GONE AND THIS IS ALL THERE WILL BE IN THE FUTURE TOUGH LUCK", which is not what Capcom did.

Powered Up was a reboot. Had it been a success and all merchandise and all the existence of Classic from that point on been based on Powered Up, you could call it a New 52 reboot, even. But Battle Network?

Battle Network, if you want to insist in comparing to comic companies, was a more successful Ultimate Marvel. "What if the start of this franchise was updated and different? Badabing badaboom, there you go. It's not replacing anything, but we're going to start focusing on this as its side thing. If it sells well enough, we might even focus on it enti- oh, it isn't selling enough? Oh ok"

It'd be like Ultimate Marvel if the mainline Marvel just started selling collections of old stories in trade form instead of continuing their universe. With, maybe, a cameo in a crossover or something.
Gauntlet101010
BumbleFan

Postby The KKM » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:03 pm

Not that comparable since Marvel's in the business of continuedly selling product of one continuity while Capcom wasn't, but sure, even that's closer than "It's the New 52".
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:04 pm

The KKM wrote:Not that comparable since Marvel's in the business of continuedly selling product of one continuity while Capcom wasn't, but sure, even that's closer than "It's the New 52".

Except that it would be exactly like the New 52. It's not like DC just stopped making collections of it's old comics.
Gauntlet101010
BumbleFan

Postby The KKM » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:07 pm

This is a really stupid discussion that is just going to go on and on. You're not going to budge, are you? Me neither because what you're saying sounds really pretty dumb to me, and I don't doubt I sound the same to you. Toodle-ee toodle-oo, have a pint on me and see you next day, I'm off.
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:12 pm

Yeah, you're right - what you're saying sounds pretty dumb to me.

Edit:
Look, guys. All I'm saying is that companies revise their continuities and characters and that there's a similar mindset to the process no matter what the medium is or who's behind it. DC may be more obnoxious than most, but the thought process behind it isn't really too different.

So the games rebooting with MoA's cartoon ... it just may not be MM1 remade (again).
Gauntlet101010
BumbleFan

PreviousNext

Return to For Everlasting Peace!