Mega Man #54 - Spoilers & Discussion

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Mega Man #54 - Spoilers & Discussion

Postby Ian Flynn » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:24 pm

So.... a number of folks here already have the issue? Lucky you! Up goes the thread.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Re: Mega Man #54 - Spoilers & Discussion

Postby Penguin God » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:05 pm

Really, so good. Blues has always been the big character of the cast, but his angst honestly can get tiring sometimes in other series. Here it's worked through organically without sacrificing the moody drama that makes his core, and the same is said for Tempo and her growth as a character. I love seeing Vesper Woman as a sister to her, it's a great idea, and honestly I just love love love Ryan Jampole's art in this issue. His stuff is already really good, but everything here was practically perfect. It's cute, it's expressive, it's dynamic, it's everything I could want out of the book. If the book has to end, this is a great note to do it on, and if it comes back in some different form, I hope that it can stay just as high quality.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Bean » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:37 pm

Yeah, we're back in probably your best year-long stretch of writing starting with #41. Finally, we see the birth of Proto Man as he knows he isn't just Blues and he's not Break Man, either. All I know is I want to see the comic continue with this good writing, but now I guess we have to wait to see how the reprints or whatever you call them fare. In case you haven't figured it out yet, I really want to see Mega Man 4 be done after how the MM3 arc went, never mind how Shadow Man is currently working behind the scenes. Is he going to get his for good or what? Who knows?

Anyway, I liked that you included Vesper Woman (Honey Woman, a rejected MM9 bot) in this similarly to how you mentioned Glue Man in the Worlds Collide thing. It's those little nods that I've always appreciated. Feels like she and Quake Woman would fit in with an original cast of bots in the Archie line going amok at some point because that's what always happens in Mega Man.

I maintain that Proto Man is the best written character in the book because he actually gets time instead of being the quiet dude that hides in secret places in so many other Mega Man games.
Bean
BumbleCitizen

Postby Tylinos » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:14 pm

This issue was fantastic. It felt like it packed so much into just twenty pages, and yet didn't feel rushed. Blues went through a really good and believable climax to his character arc here. Even Quake Woman got some more development.

Also, it was nice to see all the Mega Man 5 and 7 Robot Master parts cameos in Wily's lab. Plus, Vesper Woman. Well done.
Tylinos
BumbleKnight

Postby diamonddeath » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:50 pm

Vesper Woman is pretty cool, but why isn't it Honey Woman when the design is seemingly based on it?
diamonddeath
BumbleNoble

Postby Ian Flynn » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:41 pm

diamonddeath wrote:Vesper Woman is pretty cool, but why isn't it Honey Woman when the design is seemingly based on it?

We weren't allowed to use the Honey Woman design.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby TurboTailz » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:32 pm

diamonddeath wrote:Vesper Woman is pretty cool, but why isn't it Honey Woman when the design is seemingly based on it?

I was surprised to see the character that resembles the scrapped one a bit while at the same time the comic going on hiatus. *sigh* So much potential within the series taken like a Lien-da syndrome.
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Postby Mavrickindigo » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:37 pm

TurboTailz wrote:

I was surprised to see the character that resembles the scrapped one a bit while at the same time the comic going on hiatus. *sigh* So much potential within the series taken like a Lien-da syndrome.

Yeah, it was really weird to see them introduce a new character when all signs point to "cancellation" and "reboot." I suppose it was a attempt to assure readers that Tempo was going to be alright, giving her someone to have to help her be a Person again.

The weird thing to me was that "Blue Shift" felt like a good conclusion to the series" yet Red Shift seems almost like they're saying "Don't worry, we aren't going anywhere." I mean even down to the Short Circuits, where 53 pokes fun at some concepts they would never ever use as if to give an excuse to actually have them in the comics, and then this issue's being all "Mega Man will always be here message"

what do you want us to believe, Jon?
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby EvilEddie » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:40 pm

Given parts of this issue point to a MM4 adaptation that the previous issue flat out said go play Legacy Collection to see (in the print version anyways), it's entirely possible the issues were not drafted in the order they were released.
EvilEddie
BumbleFan

Postby BlazeHeatnix » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:45 pm

Ian Flynn wrote:

That's...odd. They've allowed you to use unused designs like Vile's in the past. I don't see why this would be any different.
BlazeHeatnix
BumbleCitizen

Postby Mavrickindigo » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:51 pm

EvilEddie wrote:Given parts of this issue point to a MM4 adaptation that the previous issue flat out said go play Legacy Collection to see (in the print version anyways), it's entirely possible the issues were not drafted in the order they were released.

Seems odd that the one that feels more open-ended comes after the more conclusive-feeling one, though.

EDIT: Forgot my favorite part of this issue

they FINALLY got Breakman's Eye right.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby lalalei2001 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:43 pm

Vesper Woman: http://i.imgur.com/lRWipjO.png
Honey Woman: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-glOCtbpHvpI/U ... ornet1.jpg

Definitely some differences there, but the basic design is very close.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Tahtorak » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:39 am

Why wait until now to try the mono-eye look?
Tahtorak
BumbleFan

Postby Astrobot7000 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:13 pm

This is an utterly fantastic issue. Everything about it is phenominal. I love the writing on this comic. I wish the Sonic comics could have even a splinter of the amount of depth that Mega Man has. This comic will sorely be missed. I genuinely hope it returns. It is by far the best product Archie sells.
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby diamonddeath » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:02 pm

Ian Flynn wrote:

Interesting. Does Capcom not own the concept art, or did they just not want it to be used? Or something else maybe?
diamonddeath
BumbleNoble

Next

Return to For Everlasting Peace!