Robot Masters: 24 down, 62 to go

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Robot Masters: 24 down, 62 to go

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:36 pm

With comic probably ending we're left to wonder how Flynn would continue with all those adaptations. One thing I was the most curious about were mandatory fights with 8 Robot Masters in the row.

So my question is: how would you handle each adaptation? Would you keep format from 'Legends of Blue Bomber' or mix things up somehow?

Personally with Megaman 4 I would put stories from RM perspectives (something that Flynn planned for MM3) and with 5 I would just ignore the cannn and let Megaman fight all 8 RM at the same time. Willy really should try it at some point. Not sure what I would do with 6-10 tittles, but Megaman and Bass I think story should be made a little bit larger. I mean we're talking about real Robot Rebelion. Those robot masters could be given reasons why they joined King, almost on Maverick level.
Last edited by MetalSkulkBane on Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Re: Robot Masters: 24 down, 62 to go

Postby Penguin God » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:08 pm

Any strict formula gets old after a while. Mix it up every time, in some different fashion.

Spoiler: show
Maybe he has to actively chase them down instead of them waiting in fortresses. Maybe they hunt him down instead. Maybe they come in small groups, instead of 1v1s. Maybe they're all in one place. Maybe Proto Man or Light's Masters takes some of them out. Maybe they hinder him during other events making priority choices.

Who knows? There's lots of ways you can sick robots on a kid.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby BlazeHeatnix » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:20 pm

I do like the idea of Wily sending all 8 at once after MM for a change. MM4 seems like the time when he'd decide this was a good idea.

To be honest, I'd rather MM fight all the RM's either off-screen or have them condensed down to a few pages, while the actual plot centers around Cossack, and MM5 with Protoman's "betrayal". Because after MM3, RM's stop being relevant to the plot until MM9. They just show up and die. And you might say that makes them the perfect target for development, but I disagree. Save the epic RM fights and development for MM6, Dark Tournament style. Expand those and reduce the previous 16 to mindless villain status. Do the same with MM7 and MM8.
BlazeHeatnix
BumbleCitizen

Postby Frontier » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:18 pm

Ideally, I'd want to go with a formula that would give adequate screentime to the Robot Masters, establishing their personalities and weapons and giving enough time for a decent fight with Mega Man, while also leaving enough room for the Wily Castle without rushing it and the ensuing Boss Fights. So, something similar to how Mega Man 3 was handled would be what I would go with, likely with variations on that formula to cater to the specific game and to fit into trades.
Frontier
BumbleFan

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:35 pm

I'd stop adapting the games so strictly. It's tough to say exactly how I'd go about it, but I'd ditch the whole level-by-level structure of the series and go for a more storytelling-first sort of approach.

I can't think entirely too much about exactly how this would work for each game, but I'd try to approach it more like a cartoon like Avatar or TMNT. More character-first storytelling over pure adaptations. They don't HAVE to work solo for the comic, after all. So, along the lines of Ariga's adaption of MMs 1-3 where the story points are very, very loosely adapted. It'd be cool to have the robots do different scenarios like pretending to be a town's hero or deciding all the robots in the city had to race or something.

Although I do think the adaptions of MM1-3 were done well. But from 4-10 + R&F? That's a lot of levels to go through for one-on-one duels.
Gauntlet101010
BumbleFan

Postby Astrobot7000 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:15 am

The game adaptations should never have been so strict.
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby phaelin » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:57 pm

Mega Man 5 would be pretty interesting to see adapted, especially if they lost the 1v1 formula. If you kick it up a notch to 1v2 or more, then you'd get some pretty great interactions. Certain 5 Masters would just make sense working together, like Stone Man and Charge Man as a team-up, or Gravity and Star Man, Napalm and Gyro - that just leaves Crystal Man and Wave Man as oddballs. :P

And for the love of all that's holy, just take on all of the Dark Man forms in one go. This would be a good opportunity to have someone lend Megs some support.
phaelin
BumbleNewbie

Postby Uwaaii » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:33 pm

They also need to make the arc longer. I don't want Archie cramming in a long intro, 8 robot master fight with background story/dramatic interaction in between, more bosses, more stories, wily and the ending plus foreshadowing of future story in 8 or less issues. Yes I am talking about the MM3 adaption.

As for how to deal with the robot masters, I can't think of anything other than Ariga's Megamix/Gigamix. He really put focus and character on each robot master in a few pages.

I can't stop wondering: was it archie's idea to be strict to game adaptions, or Capcom asked them to?
Uwaaii
BumbleFan

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:04 am

Uwaaii wrote:They also need to make the arc longer. I don't want Archie cramming in a long intro, 8 robot master fight with background story/dramatic interaction in between, more bosses, more stories, wily and the ending plus foreshadowing of future story in 8 or less issues. Yes I am talking about the MM3 adaption.

As for how to deal with the robot masters, I can't think of anything other than Ariga's Megamix/Gigamix. He really put focus and character on each robot master in a few pages.

So whole issue for each RM fight? I'm not sure if it's such a good idea.

Uwaaii wrote:I can't stop wondering: was it archie's idea to be strict to game adaptions, or Capcom asked them to?

We'll never know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprise if Flynn could make more changes, but tried to stick closely to not annoy even most obnoxious fans.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:28 am

If we're being fair, however, Ariga didn't try to focus on every Robot Master. I don't think Woodman or Bubbleman, for instance, got much character development. He had his favourites.

Still, I also favour his approach. Take the basic premise of each game and make it your own.
Gauntlet101010
BumbleFan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:49 pm

What Ian's been doing for the most part reminds me of what Iwamoto did in the X manga, albeit in a more truncated form.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Return to For Everlasting Peace!