Mega Man Movie coming from Fox

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Mega Man Movie coming from Fox

Postby Mordum » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:11 am

BlazeHeatnix wrote:Wanting a bad movie over a good one is literally inarguable. End of story. Sorry, but I'm not reading another one of your thesis-length posts, because that's as ridiculous as saying Hitler did nothing wrong.

Are you joking.

You're actually comparing enjoying a b-movie to supporting the Nazi Party. This is my favorite post of all time.

EDIT: My favorite thing about this, actually, is how much your breakdown is such an attack on my character and motives for enjoying what I do without acknowledging how so much of my post emphasizes the importance of individual creative empowerment regardless of quality in this increasingly brand oriented storytelling environment. And yet despite my dismissal of quality and brand integrity being openly stated to come from a place of empowering the creativity of the storyteller, I am apparently as ridiculous as someone who thought to subjugate and murder over six million people because of a philosophy that you actively tell me you refuse to assess in the context it's spoken in.

The more you actually break down the layers of the post, the more incredible and violently obtuse it becomes.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby ReifuTD » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:37 am

So, is this going to be animated or live action? If live action I assume animated but I can see why they would draw from X since he's basically an adult robot if live action. A kid robot for a live action movie may have issues down the line. Hopefully this turns out as good a Big Hero 6. There is a high for franchising sequels, sequels pretty much always makes more money then original so that's a big deal for movie companies.

I really wish they tried to Harry Potter out Dragonball as a movie franchise, I can kind of see what they were trying to do with Evolution trying to get to the Dragonball Z stuff as soon as possible. Not that Dragonball Evolution was one of those keep a hold copyright by making a movie movies. I say they could of Harry Potter out Dragonball is between Dragonball and Dragonball Z ten movies could have been made. Given the modern trend in movie with DC, marvel and Star Wars also Hunger Games, Maze Runner and Divergent, movies based off of properties with sequels built in. If Dragonball was done today they might be more serious about drawing out to series to make as much money with sequels as possible, like do the Emperor Pilaf saga first then go to Red Ribbon, Red Ribbon is long so maybe two movies out of that. Then do a World Marshal arts tournament movie fallowed by Piccolo.
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:00 am

Wanting a bad MM movie is ridiculous. As a fan of the oddball stuff, I want a bad MM movie in a macabre slow-down-to-see-the-accident sort of way, but that's it.

Anyway, you don't need to adapt the "MM goes through a level at a time" crap to make a MM movie. Some things need to be revamped and I don't mind losing that. That's part of who MM is in the games, but it doesn't need to be who MM is on the big screen. The only game mechanic I think they need is MM gaining new weapons.

And, yeah, X as a movie is entirely possible. I can kinda see Fox going for X more than Classic. Maybe just because it fits into my image of what Fox makes nowadays.
Gauntlet101010
BumbleFan

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:28 am

Blaze are you familiar with the concept of "so bad it's good"?

That's basically what Mordum's saying. If the movie can't be good it can at least be bad in a fun way. The Kind of movie you and your friends pop in and joke about how goofy and terrible it.

Raul Julia's Street Fighter not Legend of Chun-Li.

Now personally I have a deep, admittedly mostly ironic, love for the Super Mario Bros. Movie. It gets everything wrong but I never come out of the movie not feeling entertained because there's a certain charm to the ludicrously wrong adaptation.

Now do I want a "So Bad It's Good" Mega Man? Not really but if that's how it turns out I'll just laugh about.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Mordum » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:54 am

Gauntlet101010 wrote: As a fan of the oddball stuff, I want a bad MM movie in a macabre slow-down-to-see-the-accident sort of way, but that's it.

Nazi.

SonicBlueRanger wrote:Now personally I have a deep, admittedly mostly ironic, love for the Super Mario Bros. Movie. It gets everything wrong but I never come out of the movie not feeling entertained because there's a certain charm to the ludicrously wrong adaptation.

I bet your favorite band is Prussian Blue.

But yes, I would prefer a technically subpar, but more creative, film over a boring, stock adaptation ala the MCU or something like that. Blockbuster brand focus makes everything safe and boring. Too clean. And again, the Archie comic and the manga already exist.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby Spin » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:41 am

If this movie is live action, Fox should just bite the bullet and use Bad Box Art Mega Man. Then we'd all know what we were getting ourselves into. Without the pretense that the studio actually cares about the source material.
Spin
BumbleClan

Postby GentlemanX » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:30 pm

Honestly? I don't have any interest in this. I can't even really picture a live-action Mega Man and don't really want to see that. Make an Astro Boy like animated action movie? I could get behind that.

I don't see Fox doing that.

I know some people do like the "so bad it's good" approach, but I'm not one of them. That's not how I like to spend my time. If that's something you like, more power to you, but the only way I really like something like that is if I'm watching the Nostalgia Critic/MST3K-esque riffing of it. I don't enjoy riffing on something myself. If I think something is bad, I just find it bad.

Off topic: I do actually agree with a lot of Mordum's assessment of wanting more individual's interpretation in film though. It's why I've lost a lot of the interest I had in the MCU, they've become too cookie cutter. I think it's a complex issue; letting someone do whatever they want with an established property isn't something I'd immediately endorse either, but there's definitely a lot to be said for bringing new ideas forward.
GentlemanX
BumbleNoble

Postby akessel92 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:03 pm

Show me a trailer then we'll talk.
akessel92
BumbleNoble

Postby Mordum » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:11 pm

GentlemanX wrote:That's not how I like to spend my time. If that's something you like, more power to you, but the only way I really like something like that is if I'm watching the Nostalgia Critic/MST3K-esque riffing of it.

It's legitimately fascinating how severely those two things differ: MST3K picks out unknown things and gives them reinvigoration, appreciation, and life by having them be enjoyed by a group of buddies making a night out of their forced viewing.

Whereas That Guy With The Glasses is largely defined by watching something of one's own free will, in an empty room all alone, and being fueled by anger.

It's strange, despite the fact that crowd was directly inspired by MST3K, it completely inverted the actual point of the show.

Off topic: I do actually agree with a lot of Mordum's assessment of wanting more individual's interpretation in film though. It's why I've lost a lot of the interest I had in the MCU, they've become too cookie cutter. I think it's a complex issue; letting someone do whatever they want with an established property isn't something I'd immediately endorse either, but there's definitely a lot to be said for bringing new ideas forward.

It's why, even if the first Avengers is technically better, I legitimately believe Age of Ultron to be the superior film. Avengers fits its rubric perfectly, but a week later I couldn't really remember anything specific about it. Age of Ultron is VERY flawed, constantly in the middle of a tug of war between Whedon's personal vision and Kevin Feige's mandates to the point where I'm not sure the movie thematically coheres, but so many of its individual moments and pieces of characterization are emotionally powerful in a way nothing else in the MCU really is. The movie's good portions were SO good that I immediately forgot I disliked whatever prior scene that took me out of the movie. It's so well made that I don't even CARE it doesn't cohere.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby Azul » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:35 pm

Is anybody else aware of the rise in video game themed movies? There's like a boom in interest of creating VG movies similar to the rise in super hero films. I know Sega's planning on adapting several of their games like Golden Axe and Streets of Rage. Heck, they're even planning a Crazy Taxi TV series. Maybe we're in the beginning of a new era of where VG films aren't such a cringe worthy thought?

On topic, I'm not sure if my body is ready for this. If its coming from the Planet of The Apes guys, I'm semi-suped up for it. but as Mordum pointed out, they're using X material for a classic era movie. They done goofed already. I can only hope for the best. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Last edited by Azul on Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby Mordum » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:54 pm

Well, I was being sarcastic. The press and the people who make the movie aren't the same.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby Azul » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:14 pm

Mordum wrote:Well, I was being sarcastic. The press and the people who make the movie aren't the same.

Ah, well. Disregard then.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby ReifuTD » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:26 pm

Azul wrote:On topic, I'm not sure if my body is ready for this. If its coming from the Planet of The Apes guys, I'm semi-suped up for it but as Mordum pointed out, they're using X material for a classic era movie. They done goofed already. I can only hope for the best. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Well given the direction Mega Man as a franchise they could do anything they with a film in terms of story telling and adapting martial. What makes Battle Network Mega Man? what makes Dash Mega Man? what makes ZX Mega Man? It is name and aesthetics. Shows like Kamen Rider and Super Sentai witch have many series over the year but they share the same aesthetics with each series. You could take Kamen Rider make him blue, change the helmet and give him a Mega Buster, then call him Mega Man you know what that makes him? Mega Man on a motorcycle 8) .

So yeah, a Mega Man movie could easily be anything they want and not really have material from the games and I don't think it would be as big of a deal as as if they where adapting some other game. That said I would like to see something closer to the games. But I'm half expecting Rock being played by some twenty something dude instead a young kid.
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Postby Azul » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:47 pm

ReifuTD wrote:
Azul wrote:On topic, I'm not sure if my body is ready for this. If its coming from the Planet of The Apes guys, I'm semi-suped up for it but as Mordum pointed out, they're using X material for a classic era movie. They done goofed already. I can only hope for the best. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Well given the direction Mega Man as a franchise they could do anything they with a film in terms of story telling and adapting martial. What makes Battle Network Mega Man? what makes Dash Mega Man? what makes ZX Mega Man? It is name and aesthetics. Shows like Kamen Rider and Super Sentai witch have many series over the year but they share the same aesthetics with each series. You could take Kamen Rider make him blue, change the helmet and give him a Mega Buster, then call him Mega Man you know what that makes him? Mega Man on a motorcycle 8) .

So yeah, a Mega Man movie could easily be anything they want and not really have material from the games and I don't think it would be as big of a deal as as if they where adapting some other game. That said I would like to see something closer to the games. But I'm half expecting Rock being played by some twenty something dude instead a young kid.

Whoa Whoa Whoa, slow down a bit. That's an entirely different thing. Those examples you gave are alternate continuities. They don't really have any obligation to look anything like the main series. While most movie adaptions of pretty much anything are alternate continuities, its expected that they resemble the source material in some way. Making a classic Mega-Man movie while using X as source material is a major find muck. But its already been established that that isn't the case.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby Penguin God » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:54 pm

I'd actually love for them to blend X and Dash and Battle Network and ZX and all that in. It sounds like it could make something interesting, and it's not like they aren't Mega Man just because they're not the original. Wth the comic I like seeing Classic by itself, but with this film? Let's break the floodgates. Let's get wild, let's see how much we can break while keeping the core appeal. Or even make a new appeal!
I can appreciate a competent but derivative film, there's nothing wrong with that type of film existing. But I can also get that anywhere, and I'm not hugely dedicated to Mega Man that it being a creative trainwreck offends my sensibilities. Liking b-movies absolutely doesn't make me Hitler. It's hard to make a retort when Mordum already did, but dang. How is appreciating the occasional weird crazy originality in bad movies considered insane?
Last edited by Penguin God on Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

PreviousNext

Return to For Everlasting Peace!