Ways to help get more support/attention for the MM Comics.

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Ways to help get more support/attention for the MM Comics.

Postby Antiyonder » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:27 pm

Figured this would be more helpful than discussing it in other threads (like the Power Buttons or MM #53 speculation threads).

Anyway, as I brought up before, while things could still work against the title, I maintain that supporting the comic while it's still going could turn things around for the better, as it's still going right now.

So far, the best I can think of is getting the trade and the comics at the same time due to combination of monetary sums. Though while I'm not to sure on getting one of each variant covers, Mavrickindigo suggested such as an alternative or suggestion in general.

Additionally whether one was to either get trades and/or variants, a further way to get some support for the comic would be to say keep the trades (or your favorite cover) and give one copy of each issue to various places like say waiting rooms of a barber shop/dentist/doctor or even the stores in your library. Places that the average folks are more likely to visit than a comic store, and thus increasing exposure.
Antiyonder
BumbleCitizen
 
Posts: 293
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:09 am

Re: Ways to help get more support/attention for the MM Comic

Postby Damo » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:49 pm

All good ideas, but I'd say the main thing is to keep pushing good word of mouth. This is an excellent book that's gotten some excellent reviews we can pass around. People should be getting their friends to read it.
User avatar
Damo
BumbleKnight
 
Posts: 518
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:13 am

Re: Ways to help get more support/attention for the MM Comic

Postby ReifuTD » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:27 pm

Damo wrote:All good ideas, but I'd say the main thing is to keep pushing good word of mouth. This is an excellent book that's gotten some excellent reviews we can pass around. People should be getting their friends to read it.


Yeah, People could also do media stuff, Like for example I've been seeing a lot of comic book explains were people talking about characters and stories. Comicstorian is one of my favorite.

Maybe other type of video, like Everything Wrong With or an Abridged parority.
User avatar
ReifuTD
BumbleCult
 
Posts: 5964
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:29 pm

Re: Ways to help get more support/attention for the MM Comic

Postby Mordum » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:53 pm

ReifuTD wrote:Maybe other type of video, like Everything Wrong With or an Abridged parority.


Or something that could keep someone's dignity.

And I dunno, it seems off to push something based on things that're near unanimously negative and nitpicky @#$% for their own sake.
User avatar
Mordum
BumbleNoble
 
Posts: 1072
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:58 am

Re: Ways to help get more support/attention for the MM Comic

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:09 am

Mordum wrote:
ReifuTD wrote:Maybe other type of video, like Everything Wrong With or an Abridged parority.


Or something that could keep someone's dignity.

And I dunno, it seems off to push something based on things that're near unanimously negative and nitpicky @#$% for their own sake.


Has anyone told you that you're pesimist (or is it more of a cynic) ? Those things are made by fans for fans, partially to show that we're not blind to mistakes our favorite franchaises do, but mostly for simple fun.

But I will agree that 1 That will be good for fans, but won't really attract new readers 2 I would prefer if we come up with something original, not just ripp of other ideas. Then again, I find My LIttle Pony "Everything Wrong with" better that original series.
User avatar
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:02 am
Location: Poland

Re: Ways to help get more support/attention for the MM Comic

Postby Mordum » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:04 am

Cinema Sins is needlessly cynical, nitpicky garbage. And an Abridged series is, near 99% of the time, written by people who think parody means "characters stand around and get super meta about how writing works without any jokes."

Both are more about the creators feeling smart than any real love.
User avatar
Mordum
BumbleNoble
 
Posts: 1072
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:58 am

Re: Ways to help get more support/attention for the MM Comic

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:20 am

Mordum wrote:Cinema Sins is needlessly cynical, nitpicky garbage. And an Abridged series is, near 99% of the time, written by people who think parody means "characters stand around and get super meta about how writing works without any jokes."

Both are more about the creators feeling smart than any real love.


What about original, the Yu gi oh TAS? Or like I mentioned, MLP Cinema Sins?
User avatar
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:02 am
Location: Poland

Re: Ways to help get more support/attention for the MM Comic

Postby Mordum » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:16 am

MetalSkulkBane wrote:
Mordum wrote:Cinema Sins is needlessly cynical, nitpicky garbage. And an Abridged series is, near 99% of the time, written by people who think parody means "characters stand around and get super meta about how writing works without any jokes."

Both are more about the creators feeling smart than any real love.


What about original, the Yu gi oh TAS? Or like I mentioned, MLP Cinema Sins?


Yu-Gi-Oh! TAS is some of the most insipid, pandering, insulting garbage I've ever seen in my life and it's written exclusively for the devastatingly stupid. I have no opinion on MLP Cinema Sins, save for the fact I hate Cinema Sins, don't watch My Little Pony, and hate the My Little Pony fandom, so I can't really see that combination going well in literally any capacity. But technically, no comment.

As much as I hate campaigns based around SAVING OUR SERIES, Damo and Antiyonder generally have the right idea, which is not a sentence I expected to type this early in the morning and don't really expect to ever type again. There's a way to do this without being some complete, meme obsessed toolbag that basically every internet nerd has turned into the past decade or two. Word of mouth goes a long way, especially if there're fans of the brand who aren't buying the comic or particularly aware of it.

But, to be frank, assuming whiny, reactionary Megaman fans who cry over every small thing that happens ARE actually right and the comic is cancelled forever...is that really such a bad thing?

I dunno if you've ever seen Mystery Science Theater 3000, but you can boil the entirety of stuff like That Guy With The Glasses, Cinema Sins, and all this other incestuous commentary ("informative", but "funny"!) to the tenets established in that show. Mike, Joel, and the robots sitting around and riffing on movies was such a popular, well done, cult phenomenon that it's not TOO big a surprise that going forward, a lot of independent geek media would base itself around endlessly deconstructing, poking fun, and breaking into different works. That's what MST WAS, after all, wasn't it? An endless riffing on media that's cheap, easy, lazy, and laughable?

Even though...it really wasn't. MST's biggest advantage as a series, besides its iconic characters and adorable sketch comedy, was the fact that the material it riffed on WASN'T, before that show, iconic. The show was less about punishing filmmakers for their efforts and more for REDEEMING their efforts. The Prince of Space became lovable for its inanity, Rowsdower became an icon with real gravity, etc. MST was a celebration of failure first and foremost, but through the perspective of the fact that, in terms of creative work and art, attempting was its own success. For all of its skewering, there's ever really true malice in the voices of those riffers, in the writing of those jokes. MST is a beautiful celebration of failure that turned its subjects into successes and introduced its audience to a vast range of material that expanded their horizons.

"Mordum, what the ever loving @#$% does this have to do with Megaman and advertising it to more people?"

Geek culture is now, by its very nature, incestuous. The very techniques and artistic formats originally used to expand horizons is now about endlessly obsessing over what we already know. There's an occasional diamond in the rough, and I like JonTron show more or less, but the notion of COMMENTARY AND CULTURE AS ENTERTAINMENT in its own right has supported the increasing trend of what geek culture is actually about now: nothing can possibly let go. If you like a piece of media, there will be IMMENSE VOLUMES attempting to squeeze every little piece of value out of this media. There will be endless commentators, personalities, and vloggers doing their hardest to try and define their own "creativity" (as Kevin Smith very charitably calls it) by co-opting some ACTUAL work someone's done. We exist in an environment, at the dead, decaying alter of Mystery Science Theater, where you can absolutely guarantee that you never, ever, ever have to be exposed to anything outside of your initial worldview or comfort zone ever again. If you saw something when you were seven, you can know in your heart that obsession will ALWAYS make it relevant, forever and ever. Amen.

And sometimes, maybe it's best to let things go.

I like Megaman. It's a good comic. Ian Flynn's a fantastic writer. And surely, I'm not against revivals of things or revisits of brands proposing they do something new with the material (I'm ecstatic for American Guinea Pig, and the Yu-Gi-Oh! anniversary movie sounds intriguing), but I think there comes a point where any reasonable human being needs to sit down and be like, "Something I enjoy is over now." Megaman took nearly 60 issues to get to a place where adapting Megaman 4 was prime and ready. 12 issues a year, that's about five years.

Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that the five years equaling four mainline game adaptations thing is a consistent rubric given Archie's currently publishing strategies (crossovers and the like) and the comic's tendency to adapt obscure games, use original arcs, or backdoor pilots.

Ten mainline Megaman games, five years for every four games. That's, what, 13-ish years? When people are complaining that the story will never be complete (and let's ignore the people who want a spin off for each game spin off, just to keep my sanity), they are sitting down and livid over the fact a comic book was not consistently available to them for 13 straight years. They are bothered that a product was not guaranteed to provide them with enjoyment for 13 straight years.

That sounds unreasonable, doesn't it? Being angry that something won't last for over a decade just because you like it, and more specifically, because it's some final vestige of this entertainment product you grew up with and enjoyed that you can't really indulge new material for anymore. Because something you grew up with is gone and someone decided to make a comic book based on telling its story to you all over again, you are upset that it will not last for 13 years of your life.

(The royal you, of course, not you specifically)

There's a point where someone just has to sit down, accept something has ended, and just move on. Talk about the thing, sure, keep discussion alive. If there's stuff to talk about, nothing wrong with still talking about it. But we as a culture have become so entitled by the idea of remakes, revivals, and our beloved childhood brands "growing up" with us that every little product that stops being produced gets turned into this big initiative people have to SAVE, as if this represents some important accomplishment.

There are other things. There's a backlog of countless things in countless mediums available dating as far back as antiquity. There's always a pendulum swinging, where the thing you like will be nostalgic eventually and will probably come back in some form ANYWAY.

But fans who become fixated on things that end because they just CAN'T HANDLE it ending, in this geek culture all about needlessly deconstructing and rebooting things we already know, where every single change from the familiar is seen as blasphemous anyway, never seem to accomplish much beyond looking pathetic. There're occasional outliers, like Veronica Mars and other things. Veronica Mars's movie was pretty good, but the victory it represented wasn't all that great.

I don't think insisting Megaman should exist for the sake of existing is all that great, either.
User avatar
Mordum
BumbleNoble
 
Posts: 1072
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:58 am

Re: Ways to help get more support/attention for the MM Comic

Postby Mavrickindigo » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:01 am

Once again, a great read with many great points, I feel that really puts things in perspective.
User avatar
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult
 
Posts: 6309
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:09 pm
Location: USA

Re: Ways to help get more support/attention for the MM Comic

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:38 am

Long essay, pretty good points, a lot of that is certainly true. But quoting Shakespeare "Brevity is soul of the wit", so I will be brief.

I'm not blind, I see that our culture is sick with sequels, reebots and spin-off. And most of times it's due to people choosing the easy way, because another Batman game will sell much easier then some new ID.
But while I try to be all 'wise and aware' like you, some part of me wants another Marvel movie. And part of the reason why I love Sonic is that it's so big (but containable. I stopped reading Marvel/DC because of that).
So if Sonic games, marvel movies, My Little Pony cartoon, if all of that had to end...I would accpet that. You're right, everything has to end eventually.

But However, Archie Megaman is different. We know that Flynn had plans for future, we know that comics could go longer.
I want franchaises to die they way people should die: after living live to the fullest. For example Batman Brave and Bold cartoon ended when creators decided they running out of ideas what to do. I was sad when it ended, but I knew it was the time. Megaman had this unspoken promise to go for twice as many issue, if not longer, to retal the tales of 10 games and more. Sure, 50 issue is a good run, but that's like ending Games of Throne now.
User avatar
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:02 am
Location: Poland

Re: Ways to help get more support/attention for the MM Comic

Postby Mordum » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:39 am

MetalSkulkBane wrote:Megaman had this unspoken promise


Was it really an unspoken promise, or did you just interpret what it was saying as a promise?

Stuff ends before it should all the time. Since you brought up cartoons, Gargoyles is my favorite show of all time and its become defined entirely by the fact everyone wants it to come back and...I think that's sad too. I love the Slave Labor Graphics comics and they have my favorite Gargoyles story, but Hunter's Moon was a perfectly fine ending. I was happy with the story the comics continued, but it wasn't a story that necessarily needed continuing.

Stella is my favorite comedy ever made and ten episodes weren't nearly enough to fully explore its vast potential and, when I was in middle school, I was DEVASTATED when it was cancelled (and as great as the show was, Michael and Michael Have Issues all those years later just wasn't the same). But I mean...when I got over it, that cancellation didn't take the show away. It's still there, and even now I occasionally pop in an episode and laugh as hard as I always have because good, quality entertainment and storytelling does not die.

I mean, we could go back and forth on which franchises really DESERVE to keep going. When you say a part of you would want another Marvel movie...that's totally valid, and you should absolutely enjoy what you enjoy, but from MY perspective, I think of those Marvel movies people like and still want more of as a big factor that helped kill the stuff I like. The nostalgia boom's immense, condescending infantilization of the film industry means it's more or less impossible to ever get the canon of the Marquis de Sade ever represented in mainstream film ever again. It's weird to think Quills could actually get into theaters once, and relatively recently, when it probably couldn't now.

How do we actually determine what stuff deserves to succeed? I wrote a script for a director who went on and on to me one night about how he was so happy the superhero boom was a thing in cinema because he'd waited his whole life for his favorite characters to dominate the box office like he knew he would. And that script I wrote for him, despite us being an independent racket, was more or less your standard big blockbuster in the age of the infantilized superhero movie and when INDEPENDENT projects aim for that...

...like, that's weird, right?

I don't think we ever ended up getting around to really trying to sell that movie, though.

But it raises the question. Fads are one thing: certain things are always going to go in and out of vogue, and there's nothing really wrong with that. But what exactly about this stuff, besides the fact their audience grew up with them, means they should stick around the specific way they have? Why should growing up with Transformers mean you get a big Transformers movie when you're conveniently nostalgic for it? Why should growing up with Megaman mean you get a comic book telling you the same story you already played, but now with more emphasis on faux-Asimov sensibilities now that you're conveniently old enough to appreciate ethics?

Meanwhile, I look at a genre and "franchise" I enjoy, the de Sadean stuff that flourished thanks to the sexploitation boom of the 70's, and the closest equivalent to that in mainstream cinema is...50 Shades of Grey, which is very much a socially, sexually repressed, overly simplistic piece of faux-Harlequinn drek that robs the subject matter and prior canon (in the literary sense of the term, not Holocronian) of the complexity it once had.

As these kids and all ages properties "grow up" with us, why are these legitimate adult subject matters being robbed of their complexity and growing down in turn?

It maybe sounds like a leap in the actual topic, but I don't think it is. The less willing we are to let things die, the more insular our perspective becomes. When everyone else got to have their childhood franchises live long and prosper, I got to watch genres I loved that have ALWAYS been adult get dumbed down into adolescent simplicity. That seems strange. There's some issue there. And I LOVE cartoons. Always have, always will. I love stuff like Transformers, Power Rangers, et al. I just...like other stuff, too, and it seems like when this all ages stuff got really in vogue, other stuff just got dumbed down in the process.

Basically, is it really a victory that all your stuff deserves to preserve if the stuff that means a lot, has a lot of emotional meaning, to other people get tossed aside?

And I think part of that does come with the fact we don't let things go. Things don't get cancelled and die anymore, even when they should have. Say what you will about how Futurama ended, but the Comedy Central years were such a massive downgrade from what the show had actually been. When Young Justice and Green Lantern: TAS ended, fanboys (and girls) went into such a giant fit they actually tried to CREATE A CHARITY ORGANIZATION DEDICATED TO REVIVING CANCELLED TV SHOWS. The level of entitlement becomes ridiculous. The sheer inability to cope with having to maybe watch different things now, the biggest of all possible White People Problems, is astounding.

The only thing that dictates whether or not Megaman deserves to keep going is whether or not the company creating the product decides it's in their best interests for it to continue. Archie has decided it has to go on hiatus, so it's a book that deserves to go on hiatus. We may not know WHY, but them's facts. Mighty Number 9 and Red Ashe are blatant displays of the fact that we've become so entitled as a generation of consumers that if we can't get our precious brands back, we'll just make up new brands that are barely not what we like. We'll actually eagerly support and put up with facsimiles before we think to use the opportunity of a lull to break into new, creative directions.

I feel like fighting viciously for the Megaman comic's survival beyond just, like, buying the comics you want to read is just further indicative of this big push to never, ever, ever let anything go and treating these brands as the truly sacred pieces of culture...only because they're the ones we happened to see first. Just...if it ain't meant to be, maybe just let it be. What we got was pretty good. We don't need to make sure nothing dies, because as a result nothing really gets to be born.
User avatar
Mordum
BumbleNoble
 
Posts: 1072
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:58 am

Re: Ways to help get more support/attention for the MM Comic

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:44 am

As Ian said once, if all the guys who follow the "get me off the moon" page bought the comic it'd have smooth sailing and we'd likely have gotten an X series. That kinda says it all to me.
User avatar
Gauntlet101010
BumbleFan
 
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:49 pm

Re: Ways to help get more support/attention for the MM Comic

Postby Bean » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:55 am

Heck, did it even get a tenth of that 100k, myself being a lone one of them? I did try promoting the series when I did the preview page uploads (#1-#44 and the eight Sonic issues for Worlds Collide), which generally got around 1000-2000 views a month depending on how I fast I was in getting to it. Unfortunately, there were other channels that came along around Worlds Collide that started posting the full issues and got more traffic than my stuff. That kind of bummed me out because that showed that people were more than fine with just not paying for an issue instead of being hooked into it. I wonder if any of those people wonder why the comic's going on hiatus now?

I felt like year four was the best in the comic in terms of consistent quality, and it was the first mainline game arc to not feel rushed. At this point, it's more about getting people to write in to Archie to not can the series. When I heard it was doing Sonic Universe numbers, that was the real gut punch. Couldn't even do better than the second string comic for Sonic, in spite of the Blue Blur being more popular than the Blue Bomber.

Between the comic, the heavy pushing back of fans on Inafune for MN9 before it's even out in spite of decent previews (let's take Red Ash out of the equation since the majority, myself included, thinks that one was timed poorly), and even the general apathy over a remade collection at this point... You have to wonder if a good many people that call themselves Mega Man fans are showing that the one tweet from Capcom UK about Legends 3's canning was right and could be applied to the whole franchise at this point. Is there any support for Mega Man and the like anymore? Outside of Gunvolt, I'm questioning that now, and that's the real bummer.

Long story short: Support by writing in, emailing, or maybe even tweeting the Archie Comics Twitter. It's something other than just letting apathy take over and having another Mega Man project that I feel has been very good get dropped.
Bean
BumbleCitizen
 
Posts: 332
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:53 pm

Re: Ways to help get more support/attention for the MM Comic

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:23 am

Again, I agree that somethings should die, but other could live a bit longer.
I mean, what if it was up to you to decide whenever Megaman ends now or continue? Would you say "nah, it's let it die"? Beacue I'm going to eventually accept it's death, but if there is a small chance that my voice will keep it going, I prefer to whine a bit longer.
Mordrum wrote:Was it really an unspoken promise, or did you just interpret what it was saying as a promise?

Well, Flynn said that he's exited to work on MM4, there was tons of jokes about future comics and Rock of Ages (issue 20) showed the future of the comic.
So yes, I that was my own interpetation, but I had few reasons to belive in it.

Gauntlet101010 wrote:As Ian said once, if all the guys who follow the "get me off the moon" page bought the comic it'd have smooth sailing and we'd likely have gotten an X series. That kinda says it all to me.


Get me off the moon? I don't get the reference... that is reference, right?
User avatar
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:02 am
Location: Poland

Re: Ways to help get more support/attention for the MM Comic

Postby Bean » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:12 pm

MetalSkulkBane wrote:Get me off the moon? I don't get the reference... that is reference, right?

The Facebook page for 100k Strong for Mega Man Legends 3. I know a few of them that have backed Red Ash, but not surprisingly, there are others that haven't since that one isn't MML3. It's a spiritual successor to the actual product they want. Totally understand that one, but I wonder how much crossover there is between those people and the original series.
Bean
BumbleCitizen
 
Posts: 332
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:53 pm

Next

Return to For Everlasting Peace!



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron