Comcept Kickstarters Red Ash, a spiritual successor to MML

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Comcept Kickstarters Red Ash, a spiritual successor to M

Postby Damo » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:26 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote:I honestly think that now Capcom is trying to do something with Mega Man, but fans like us have made them deathly afraid of ticking us off again. We got what they probably thought was a guaranteed money maker to never be localized over here, and they have recently changed their DLC practices with Street Fighter 5.

This is how Konami works.
This is how Capcom works.

In the past couple of years, former Capcom staff who decided to get the heck out of Dodge have put together Mighty No. 9, Azure Striker Guvolt, and Mighty Gunvolt, with Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 and Red Ash both confirmed to be in development.

Meanwhile Capcom is "deathly afraid they'll tick off fans," like they did when they threw the Megaman Legends 3 demo in the trash. So they've given us nothing of note in the mold of the various Megaman franchises that were pioneered at Capcom. And if Mr. Ono is any indication, they are not treating employees well, regardless of how much hard work those employees have put in or how much respect they should have earned.

comcept (and to a lesser extent IGA) have been criticized for just doing "knockoffs". Inafune criticized the lack of creativity at Capcom, and now two of the games in comcept's library are going to be "spiritual successors" to Megaman titles. I can understand why that's earned some derision. But I think people really need to look at what the various developers to work on these games are running from. Maybe guys like Igarashi or Inafune aren't encouraging a higher degree of creativity than we've seen from the likes of Capcom and Konami in the past, but in recent years those companies have actively lowered the creativity bar while treating their employees like crap. Why would you stick with that? I'd leave and do something similar to what I'd been doing before, or the kind of game I'd joined a big company to try to make only to never get a chance. And I'd just shrug when people called it a "knockoff".
Last edited by Damo on Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damo
BumbleKnight

Postby WiNTER BELLS » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:54 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote:I honestly think that now Capcom is trying to do something with Mega Man, but fans like us have made them deathly afraid of ticking us off again. We got what they probably thought was a guaranteed money maker to never be localized over here, and they have recently changed their DLC practices with Street Fighter 5.

I very much doubt that. I'm pretty sure Capcom doesn't see Megaman as profitable, so they stick to things that they know will sell, such as Resident Evil and Street Fighter. I believe that Capcom sees Megaman as a sort of treat that they can slap on other games to make people more interested. At best I see the recent Megaman Legacy Collection as a sort of low risk damage control to ease the standing between Capcom and the Megaman fanbase.

Also, if Capcom were afraid of making the Megaman fanbase upset, I don't think they would have teased a new Megaman X game for their April Fools joke after MML3 was canceled.
WiNTER BELLS
BumbleFan

Postby lalalei2001 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:47 pm

I think we've all gone over Mega Man related grievances before, but I don't see how Red Ash and MN9 really help those issues, especially since those projects have had their own problems.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby WiNTER BELLS » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:32 am

lalalei2001 wrote:I think we've all gone over Mega Man related grievances before, but I don't see how Red Ash and MN9 really help those issues, especially since those projects have had their own problems.

I think the problem is that a lot of people expect it to. I view it as more of a chance to grow into something greater while still tickling that Megaman nostalgia.
WiNTER BELLS
BumbleFan

Postby Mavrickindigo » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:41 am

I like how people are citing things from 2012 as their reasons to hate on Capcom. I was the biggest Capcom hater on this board, and I'm starting to see them turn around recently with how they're handling SF5 and the fact they hired someone to manage the Mega Man property in recent months who hasn't done something inept like cancel the mega man board game or something.

Personally, I'd feel that if Capcom was still doing the kind of stuff they were doing back then, we'd have heard about it by now. I mean, I doubt big companies like them and Konami WANT people to know abut the shady stuff that happens, but it gets out
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Bean » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:35 am

I don't think Capcom has turned any corner whatsoever as of yet other than that they can't fund big projects anymore due to failing both with their westernization plans and on mobile. If it wasn't for Monster Hunter or their other big franchises, they'd be in huge trouble. As they are, they're still a company that's a long way from the group that came up with pretty nifty new titles and the MT Framework engine last generation.
Bean
BumbleCitizen

Postby lalalei2001 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:45 am

So not only has MN9 been delayed, they waited to formally announce it AFTER Red Ash's Kickstarter failed.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Damo » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:26 pm

lalalei2001 wrote:So not only has MN9 been delayed, they waited to formally announce it AFTER Red Ash's Kickstarter failed.

Only found out about a problem as the kickstarter was in its final days, and got word about how bad the problem was just this week.

They definitely counted their chickens before they'd hatched though, to put it mildly.
Damo
BumbleKnight

Postby Mavrickindigo » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:43 pm

Damo wrote:
lalalei2001 wrote:So not only has MN9 been delayed, they waited to formally announce it AFTER Red Ash's Kickstarter failed.

Only found out about a problem as the kickstarter was in its final days, and got word about how bad the problem was just this week.

They definitely counted their chickens before they'd hatched though, to put it mildly.

So, I'm not all caught up. How did they go from "We're done the game" to "It's delayed again"?
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby lalalei2001 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:58 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote:So, I'm not all caught up. How did they go from "We're done the game" to "It's delayed again"?

Comcept wrote:We have an important announcement to share with our backers.

Although we understand that everyone was looking forward to playing Mighty No. 9 as soon as possible, a release delay is going to be announced for the game at Gamescom 2015, which is currently being held in Cologne, Germany.

This is a project that would not have existed without the support of our backers, so we at least wanted to deliver this news to our backers before it is officially announced.

We are unable to confirm a final release date at this time, however we will be aiming for a release in Q1 2016. Once a solid release date is set, we will announce it immediately to our backers and fans.

Of course, it is important to explain why exactly the game is being delayed. As we have communicated in the updates to our backers, all of the core content for the game is developed and in a complete state.

However, there are still bugs and issues pertaining to the online features that are included in the game. These bugs and issues have a direct affect on enjoyment of the game, so a decision was made to work these issues out before release.

Currently, comcept and their partners are working at full capacity to resolve these issues and fix any remaining bugs.

In addition, we have received quite a few requests for additional information regarding the various platforms that are part of the platform survey we have sent out.

We have also only managed to receive around half of the total responses needed for the survey.

Considering the fact that the game’s release has been delayed, we are planning to open another platform survey once a final release date has been settled upon.

We will continue to deliver the most up-to-date info to our backers and fans through our forum updates, so please keep an eye out!

We appreciate your support and patience regarding this matter, and look forward to delivering Mighty No. 9 to our backers and fans in the best state possible.

They sent that out in an email after the reports came in, and Josh posted this on the forums.

Basically, they found some game-breaking bugs that needed fixed, they didn't get many platform surveys answered, were busy working on Red Ash, mixups caused rumors of a delay to be spread, and Inafune wanted to wait and tell everyone about it himself. Something like that.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Damo » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:45 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote:So, I'm not all caught up. How did they go from "We're done the game" to "It's delayed again"?

comcept had finished their part. Pretty much all the coding is being done by INTI, and everyone thought that all that was left was some polish and debugging. Then INTI found a big bug. Fixing it might not take too long, but they also need time to test the fix and time to submit it to the first parties and have them test everything too. Unfortunately a bug of this nature can take up a lot of time. The fact that there's a AAA end-of-year game rush means that there's a waiting list to get approval from the first parties. Just a terrible time for this to happen, basically.

lalalei2001 wrote:Basically, they found some game-breaking bugs that needed fixed, they didn't get many platform surveys answered, were busy working on Red Ash, mixups caused rumors of a delay to be spread, and Inafune wanted to wait and tell everyone about it himself. Something like that.

Josh's post is unrelated. He was basically apologizing because he's a comcept staff member that hadn't been posting much. And he picked the worst possible place and time to say "sorry for not being on more often, I was working on Red Ash," leading to people thinking comcept was actually saying "we didn't speak sooner because of Red Ash". Josh is not on the MN9 team and had nothing to do with the game or any decisions regarding it. Red Ash wasn't an issue, believe it or not. Their reputation is riding on MN9 way more than on Red Ash.

The debugging is in INTI's hands, and they informed Deep Silver of problems before comcept. Deep Silver informed some retailers. By the time comcept got word that INTI had found a problem, there were already rumors and comcept had already been saying everything was done and on-schedule, since as far as they knew it was the truth. Once all the companies involved in making the game had been informed (sometime last week I believe) they all needed to discuss whether they'd release the game with bugs/release the game without the online content or go with a delay. In the end they opted for the delay, and by the time they'd all agreed on the matter it was close to Gamescom so they decided to announce it there.

The lack of replies to the platform survey isn't a reason for the delay, but they figure as long as there's a delay it gives more time to get answers.
Damo
BumbleKnight

Postby lalalei2001 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:07 pm

The Red Ash anime is running a second crowdfunding effort on 4°C's website.

http://www.fun-and.studio4c.jp/index.ph ... red_ash_en
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:10 pm

lalalei2001 wrote:The Red Ash anime is running a second crowdfunding effort on 4°C's website.

http://www.fun-and.studio4c.jp/index.ph ... red_ash_en

Why would they expect it to not fail after it already failed?
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Illustrious Q » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:11 pm

Except the Anime kickstarter was the only that succeeded. It met its initial funding goal. Didn't get beyond that, but still.
Illustrious Q
BumbleCult

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:12 pm

Illustrious Q wrote:Except the Anime kickstarter was the only that succeeded. It met its initial funding goal. Didn't get beyond that, but still.

Ah, my mistake, then
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

PreviousNext

Return to For Everlasting Peace!