Mega Man #53 Solicitation and Series End?

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Mega Man #53 Solicitation and Series End?

Postby EvilEddie » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:12 pm

Well they didn't say how long this supposed hiatus is going to last...

Two years might be just enough time for them to finally catch up with the trade releases too.
EvilEddie
BumbleFan

Postby ReifuTD » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:39 pm

lalalei2001 wrote:The cartoon comes out two years from now, though.

So, they should wait until then? I mean Yeah by then we might be getting into MM 6, I think point from here to there we still got MM4&5 adapts, The Mega Man Killers story MM1-4 gameboy, (Maybe Team Genesis too.) MMV with the Stardoids. Maybe even Rockboard or Once Upon a Star/Mega Man goes to Japan like story.(I really want to see Mega Man visit Japan there is at least one Japanese Robot Master he could meet/ team up with there.) Plus accounting for filler and set up arcs.

I want to see the comic adapt these but if they skip ahead now it give the comic plenty of time to settle it self and be it's own thing before the TV series starts.
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:05 am

I'd love to see the comic going as-is. I like the comic; that's why I'm here. But if they're looking for some kind of new direction for the comic the only way they can possibly do that is forgoing game adapts. If they don't then, well, it isn't a new direction.

I don't think we have to worry about the comic trying to be the upcoming cartoon just yet, There's no reason to think they'll try to match something that doesn't exist yet. Maybe when the cartoon comes out we can all get paranoid about that happening together.
Gauntlet101010
BumbleFan

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:04 pm

In the best world, the 'new direction" means "don't constrain things to trade sizes"
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Ryannumber1gamer » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:18 am

I doubt it'll time skip. Didn't Ian say he already had plans for the Mega Man 4 arc?
Ryannumber1gamer
BumbleNoble

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:06 am

Ryannumber1gamer wrote:I doubt it'll time skip. Didn't Ian say he already had plans for the Mega Man 4 arc?

That was before the hiatus. Plans can change.
Gauntlet101010
BumbleFan

Postby Illustrious Q » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:38 am

I highly doubt that Archie is going to skip a ton of games and just start writing nothing but original stories.
Illustrious Q
BumbleCult

Postby Spin » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:01 pm

If Archie thinks that the reason the Mega Man comic isn't selling like hotcakes is because of all the video game adaptions, they just might.

The comic came out in 2011. Four years later, we got the MM1 adaption, the MM2 adaption, the Super Adventure Rockman adaption, and the MM3 adaption. With a few original stories thrown into the mix such as a storyline incorporating the Powered Up Robot Masters, Spiritus Ex Machina, and Blues origin. That's just four games in a span of four years. We still have MM4-MM10 to go through without counting other games that could be adapted. And it's easy to see why some fans aren't picking up the comic as they already know the gist of the game adaptions.

Again, this all depends on how Archie sees the big picture. If they aren't happy with the profits from Mega Man, they could do anything that Capcom allows them to.
Spin
BumbleClan

Postby Mordum » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:55 pm

Spin wrote:If Archie thinks that the reason the Mega Man comic isn't selling like hotcakes is because of all the video game adaptions, they just might.

But is that actually why, or are people just being stupid and trying to desperately think of any reason they can observe regardless of how much sense it makes?
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby Uwaaii » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:26 pm

Gauntlet101010 wrote:To me, it reads like they're going to jump ahead in the timeline rather than adapt the games as they've been doing.

Didn’t Ian say he was pretty excited to cover MM4 in an interview, and he was going to do everything he can to be able to at least do MM4? Of course plans could change, but....they would lose a bunch of stories to write about if they skipped.
Gauntlet101010 wrote:Or changing things completely, like Argia did. To make it more their own, rather than an adaptation of the games.

Ariga did add his own twist, but he didn’t change it “completely”. The MM1,2 and 3 stories were game adaptions that despite having some changes followed the game events. In the Yellow Devil, Skullman, and Theme park/Bass stories MM3, 4, 5 were treated to have already happened. MM6 was somewhere in between showing the beginning and end of the game plot then focusing on Copy Megaman. The only story that I feel is completely original is Battle&Chase(mixed with MM7) and the Stardroid one( plus Duo, and MM8 at end).

I agree though that Archie should try making the comic their own. I liked how in Ariga’s manga there weren’t any “rooms” that Megaman had to fight his way to meet the robots masters; instead the robot masters attack Megaman in random places at random places, usually in groups making the fight difficult. And while in MM1 Megaman managed to defeat each boss because it was 1vs1, in MM2 his friends fended off the robot masters so he can reach Wily, and in MM3 he almost got defeated but was saved by Breakman who he had to fight anyway while the 3rd numbers had other stuff to do. He changes the details so it’s still fun to read even if you already played the game. Not saying Archie doesn’t do that, but it does get a little tiring after following the same pattern over and over again. And ah yes he didn’t try to squeeze in all the bosses in there.
Gauntlet101010 wrote:
MetalSkulkBane wrote:Yeah, I don't think we will get a time jump. I mean, for what? Flynn would just do something similar to Shadow Fall (Sonic Universe 59-62), a sorta adaptation/sorta sequel to those games.

Well, we are missing Bass, a very popular character. And it would basically free him up from doing game adapts. That's basically the only reason I can think of going that route.

One solution is to introduce him before his canon appearance like they did in Megmix (both Archie and Ariga introduced Auto waaaay early), but then Archie wouldn't risk throwing him in early and effect the other adaptions before his canon appearance.
Uwaaii
BumbleFan

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:34 am

Uwaaii wrote:
Gauntlet101010 wrote:To me, it reads like they're going to jump ahead in the timeline rather than adapt the games as they've been doing.

Didn’t Ian say he was pretty excited to cover MM4 in an interview, and he was going to do everything he can to be able to at least do MM4? Of course plans could change, but....they would lose a bunch of stories to write about if they skipped.
Gauntlet101010 wrote:Or changing things completely, like Argia did. To make it more their own, rather than an adaptation of the games.

Ariga did add his own twist, but he didn’t change it “completely”. The MM1,2 and 3 stories were game adaptions that despite having some changes followed the game events. In the Yellow Devil, Skullman, and Theme park/Bass stories MM3, 4, 5 were treated to have already happened. MM6 was somewhere in between showing the beginning and end of the game plot then focusing on Copy Megaman. The only story that I feel is completely original is Battle&Chase(mixed with MM7) and the Stardroid one( plus Duo, and MM8 at end).

I agree though that Archie should try making the comic their own. I liked how in Ariga’s manga there weren’t any “rooms” that Megaman had to fight his way to meet the robots masters; instead the robot masters attack Megaman in random places at random places, usually in groups making the fight difficult. And while in MM1 Megaman managed to defeat each boss because it was 1vs1, in MM2 his friends fended off the robot masters so he can reach Wily, and in MM3 he almost got defeated but was saved by Breakman who he had to fight anyway while the 3rd numbers had other stuff to do. He changes the details so it’s still fun to read even if you already played the game. Not saying Archie doesn’t do that, but it does get a little tiring after following the same pattern over and over again. And ah yes he didn’t try to squeeze in all the bosses in there.
Gauntlet101010 wrote:
MetalSkulkBane wrote:Yeah, I don't think we will get a time jump. I mean, for what? Flynn would just do something similar to Shadow Fall (Sonic Universe 59-62), a sorta adaptation/sorta sequel to those games.

Well, we are missing Bass, a very popular character. And it would basically free him up from doing game adapts. That's basically the only reason I can think of going that route.

One solution is to introduce him before his canon appearance like they did in Megmix (both Archie and Ariga introduced Auto waaaay early), but then Archie wouldn't risk throwing him in early and effect the other adaptions before his canon appearance.

Yeah, Ian was excited for MM4 and he's been building up to it. Buuuuuuuuuuuuut it may not be his call to make. Plus, how long does this hiatus last? If it's just a couple month then I can see the comic continuing business as usual, but more than that? Half a year? A year or more? How much sense does it make to continue old plot threads if you've spent so long away from the comic? That's my line or reasoning.

As for Ariga, well, you may not think his changes amount to much, but he really made MM his own. The designs, character motivations, characters dying, the tone .... I mean, it's really very different. Your idea of "changed completely" seems to be very different from my own. Sure, MM 1-6 happened, but it's not like the games at all. It's better; I like it, but he took the games, made it edgier, and remixed it to his liking to tell his story. Kinda like the title of his first book - "Rockman Remix." But if you think his retelling of MM1-3 bears a great deal of resemblance to the games they were inspired from, well, you and I will just have to disagree on that point. The Archie comics are WAY more similar to the games than Ariga's.
Gauntlet101010
BumbleFan

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:28 pm

SonicBlueRanger wrote:
Mordum wrote:
Gauntlet101010 wrote:Well, Ian's encouraging us not to be glum for glum's sake (and to be honest I was pretty much joking with many of my responses - reacting to the whole "don't be glum!" reaction in posts above), but I gotta point out that comics don't tend to "take breaks" as shows do. But that's all I'll say on that.

Unless you're No Mercy or Saga, I guess.

Or Moon Knight. Or [b]Ninja Turtles[/b[. Or literally every DC and Marvel Book during their Events this year.

I know this isn't really related but Yeah I was wrong about TMNT going on Hiatus.

My bad. I still stand by the other examples I used though.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:35 pm

SonicBlueRanger wrote:
SonicBlueRanger wrote:
Mordum wrote:
Gauntlet101010 wrote:Well, Ian's encouraging us not to be glum for glum's sake (and to be honest I was pretty much joking with many of my responses - reacting to the whole "don't be glum!" reaction in posts above), but I gotta point out that comics don't tend to "take breaks" as shows do. But that's all I'll say on that.

Unless you're No Mercy or Saga, I guess.

Or Moon Knight. Or [b]Ninja Turtles[/b[. Or literally every DC and Marvel Book during their Events this year.

I know this isn't really related but Yeah I was wrong about TMNT going on Hiatus.

My bad. I still stand by the other examples I used though.

I could debate on that, but there's little point.
Gauntlet101010
BumbleFan

Postby Uwaaii » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:10 pm

Gauntlet101010 wrote:Yeah, Ian was excited for MM4 and he's been building up to it. Buuuuuuuuuuuuut it may not be his call to make. Plus, how long does this hiatus last? If it's just a couple month then I can see the comic continuing business as usual, but more than that? Half a year? A year or more? How much sense does it make to continue old plot threads if you've spent so long away from the comic? That's my line or reasoning.

I never heard of a comic going on a long hiatus then suddenly skipping everything in between to start a completely new story that happens in the future instead of where they left off with little to no resemblance or connection to it. But then I don’t read comics much so maybe that’s why.
As for Ariga, well, you may not think his changes amount to much, but he really made MM his own. The designs, character motivations, characters dying, the tone .... I mean, it's really very different. Your idea of "changed completely" seems to be very different from my own. Sure, MM 1-6 happened, but it's not like the games at all. It's better; I like it, but he took the games, made it edgier, and remixed it to his liking to tell his story. Kinda like the title of his first book - "Rockman Remix." But if you think his retelling of MM1-3 bears a great deal of resemblance to the games they were inspired from, well, you and I will just have to disagree on that point. The Archie comics are WAY more similar to the games than Ariga's.

Well it seems there was some misunderstanding there. I think.

First, I interpreted your “changing things completely” as having everything COMPLETELY different with no resemblance, meaning the story is completely original without any reference to the game and the Robot Masters are different from the game (like the 3 adaption not having the 3rd DWNs as enemies) . So unless you meant it as something else, I would disagree with you.

Second, I’m not saying Ariga’s Megaman had “a great deal” of resemblance to the game. When I said “despite having some changes followed the game events” I was saying how despite the change in story, interesting interaction, in-depth characterization, etc. he still have the major game events put in order. For example in the MM3 adaption Wily and Light work together to make Gamma, introduce Rush, Megaman fight the Robot masters, Breakman, Gamma, and Protoman saving Megaman at the end. Aaaand they also include detail like the energy/power crystal and the fighting taking place in space. So he kept the overall idea of the game but changed the details, making the story loyal to the game enough to make it an adaption and different enough to make it an original story. You may think his comic is good because of the changes he made, but I think his comic is good because of how he balances out the original part and game part in his story. Unless you want completely original stories like in the Dreamwave comics.

Archie is undoubtedly trying too hard to be loyal to the game. They are trying to be more original now, but compared with Ariga they are still too loyal. And they have a different direction in being original. Archie have completely original characters and stories that are not based on the game like Tempo, Xander, etc. This is unavoidable since they have to have a bunch of stuff to keep the comic going for years, but it still doesn't make sense to keep other details too loyal to the game. Most of Ariga's "originality" on the other hand changes the detail of something that is already in the game to make it more natural and interesting, or makes something original that is stemmed off from something in the game. And he doesn't have any original characters which is very surprising to me. But then he only has like 5 volume worth of stories.
Uwaaii
BumbleFan

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:38 am

Seriously? A reply after over a month has passed? Okay, but it's kinda weird to still talk about this.

I never heard of a comic going on a long hiatus then suddenly skipping everything in between to start a completely new story that happens in the future instead of where they left off with little to no resemblance or connection to it. But then I don’t read comics much so maybe that’s why.

Well, there you go, you don't read comics so much. Stuff like that happens. Creative teams change, editorial mandated reset the universe. DC has a nasty habit of just aborting their entire universe and resetting the clock. Marvel's reformatted it's line to be more like a bunch of miniseries. Still, it's not unusual for a book to be put on ice and brought back completely differently and set in the future. Sometimes with a whole new setup. The more time passes the most this is a probability.

I interpreted your “changing things completely” as having everything COMPLETELY different with no resemblance, meaning the story is completely original without any reference to the game and the Robot Masters are different from the game (like the 3 adaption not having the 3rd DWNs as enemies) . So unless you meant it as something else, I would disagree with you.

I meant it as something else. You're being too literal minded.

I think Ariga's comic is good because the story is exciting and the art is great. I think it's a good adaptation because of the way he mixes up details to make the story flow nicely. So I like it both because of the changes he made AND his overall story.

I'd like to note that Ariga's loyalty to the games is really due to the fact that his stories came AFTER MMs 1-6. The original Megamix contained short recaps of those games. The Rockman 1 story was made MUCH later on and Remix's "Destruction Order" is TOTALLY different than the one found in the new Megamix. The original Remix and Megamix are just interesting short stories. The remade Megamix we got translated makes more sense as a whole than the original. And Gigamix is conceived of as it's own complete story with a beginning, middle, and end with a leftover Megamix story tossed in.

I like Archie's take as well. A LOT. Although I do think they're being too loyal to the game's structure. I'm not sure how well it can be compared to Ariga's work. Ariga is telling a VERY different kind of story in a VERY different format. It's really apples to oranges. A better comparison would be the game-based manga series, but those haven't been translated, so that's still just theory.
Gauntlet101010
BumbleFan

PreviousNext

Return to For Everlasting Peace!