Mega Man Legacy Collection Announced

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Mega Man Legacy Collection Announced

Postby Razorsaw » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:48 am

Okay, I was wrong on the emulation thing. I will cop to that.

But the people who own GC-compatible technology and a PS2 in the year 2015 are a minority. I'm sorry, but that's explicitly a fact. You cannot say that a group of dedicated hobbyists are as sizabe as s potential new consumers. And, even barring that, the AC isn't available for PC, which is the widest possible audience in gaming right now anyhow.

Plus, you know, the atrocious and unalterable controls.

The Anniversary Collection only has content going for it. But quality over quantity.
Razorsaw
BumbleCitizen

Postby DudestofGuys » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:25 pm

Razorsaw wrote:the people who own GC-compatible technology and a PS2 in the year 2015 are a minority. I'm sorry, but that's explicitly a fact. You cannot say that a group of dedicated hobbyists are as sizabe as s potential new consumers.

To be fair, if you're talking about anyone who could feasibly say they "play video games", you're right. If you're talking about anyone who buys consoles at all, you're definitely right.

However, if you're talking about people with interest in the Mega Man franchise who are willing to pay for NES games (likely games that are older than they are if they haven't tried them at this point) in the year 2015, who have a Steam account or an Xbox One or a PS4 and prioritize this purchase over the other games available for these platforms? If you're talking about people like that who ALSO don't own, wish to own, or know someone who owns the most successful console of the previous generation, its predecessor, the most successful video game console to ever exist or early versions of its own sucessor? Or an original Xbox OR an Xbox 360? People who don't own or know anyone who owns even one of these 300+ MILLION consoles and yet still has either a Steam account or a system that was released in the last two years and is placing their money on an ancient series instead of any of the new games for these platforms? People who fit all of these specific criteria and also refuse to either pirate or emulate these games?

I'm sorry to break it to you, but you're talking about a serious minority here. Even ignoring the enormous overlap between people who own these consoles or know someone who owns these consoles and people interested in or are fans of the Mega Man franchise, digital piracy and video game emulation is incredibly widespread. As sad as it is to say, there are likely more people who pirated the Archie Mega Man comics than those who bought them. In the same sense, you're far less likely to find people unwilling to emulate these games instead of dishing out $15 for similar quality emulation and some concept art that's readily available with a little searching online. Like I said before, this is a better legal alternative than the other releases, but the Anniversary Collection is mostly without issue for the first six games, has RCW bonus content and runs the same price while actually being a physical copy. While I personally don't mind buying games digitally, I get the feeling that a lot of the kind of people who would buy older games like this would want something physical instead of the exact same experience they would get from downloading an emulator (barring the cute borders and $15 price tag). It's the collector mindset.

And, even barring that, the AC isn't available for PC, which is the widest possible audience in gaming right now anyhow.

1. You spelled "mobile gaming" wrong.
2. A lot of people actually have played these games on PC before! By emulating them and/or pirating other releases. If details released by companies like EA and Ubisoft are any indication, you have more PC players who pirate/emulate than buy, sometimes up to 6x more than the people who purchase the game.

Plus, you know, the atrocious and unalterable controls.

As someone else in the thread already mentioned, the PS2 and Xbox versions don't have backwards controls.
But, if someone was dedicated to playing it on Gamecube, they could easily buy the Gamecube version and play it on Dolphin, where you can easily remap the controls. Or, even simpler, they could run it on an NES emulator like the Legacy Collection does.

The Anniversary Collection only has content going for it. But quality over quantity.

I can't think of anyone who would recommend the Anniversary Collection on the merit of "content" seeing as the 7, 8, etc ports are buggy and glitchy. In terms of the quality of the NES ports, however, the quality is identical. They're the same base games, no alterations, and they run perfectly fine. It's the same content and the same quality when comparing apples to apples. The Legacy version is more convenient if you want a legal version and you somehow have never encountered a sixth or seventh gen console (Or a NES. Or any of the various NES bootleg systems.), but the Anniversary version is an alternative that isn't just data on your hard drive. I could be wrong, I suppose, but I just don't see this package being appealing to all that many people unless they don't know about their alternatives.
Last edited by DudestofGuys on Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DudestofGuys
BumbleFan

Postby lalalei2001 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:26 pm

The PS2 and Xbox version's controls were fine. The Gamceube one is the ONLY one that switched Jump and Fire.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:18 pm

lalalei2001 wrote:It's also on the PS2 and Xbox, where the controls were fixed. I have the Gamecube and PS2 ones because each one has a unique bonus feature--PS2 has the first episode of the Mega Man cartoon, and the Gamecube has a documentary. I think the XBox one had both.

Xbox has the first episode of MegaMan NT Warrior.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Previous

Return to For Everlasting Peace!