Mega Man Cartoon by Man of Action in Development

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Mega Man Cartoon by Man of Action In Deveolpment

Postby Archdeco » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:58 am

A thought occurs. With a 2017 release date they're going to have lots of chances to cancel this mid-production, or even before production starts. Remember to e-mail Capcom, Dentsu and Man of Action.
Archdeco
BumbleFan

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:18 am

I actually wouldn't mind if cartoon will be more silly than Archie or if it will barely look like original material.
All I want from them is
1 To don't have any influence on Flynn's writing
2 Be good on it's own merits.
Then I'm going to be happy.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby TurboTailz » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:16 am

Betz! wrote:3D like Boom. My only requirement.

I was thinking that, but I hope it does not go that direction. I do prefer 2d animation over 3d, but I hope it doesn't take much of a comedy route.
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:21 am

TurboTailz wrote:

I was thinking that, but I hope it does not go that direction. I do prefer 2d animation over 3d, but I hope it doesn't take much of a comedy route.

Ditto.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Re: Mega Man Cartoon by Man of Action in Development

Postby ReifuTD » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:59 am

TurboTailz wrote:

Been wanting to see 2d animation style in the Mega Man games for a while. Update the Mega Man games how the Ducktales game were updated with those kind of flash sprites. With how animation works now a days both the cartoon series and games could share the same puppet rigs. That way the characters like Rock, Roll, Light and Wily plus RMs would have better animation for the games and the TV series is given a bunch of stage enemy assets for the TV series.
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Postby Azul » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:40 am

I don't think the comic has to be affected by the TV show. Plenty of comics have cartoon adaptions that have separate canons.
And I pray to God that MoA doesn't make another quipy, overconfident, rebellious teenage pastiche out of Mega Man. Not that I hate that trope but it actually works with Rex and Ben. Spidey's always been quipy and humble. That's his thing. Megs has never been portrayed like Ben and Rex in the games, but since they're using the 90s cartoon as a reference, that looks like a possibility. That would be so OCC and quite frankly, I'm tired of video game adaptions of anything that keep on doing their own thing. But knowing its MoA, they'll somehow make it work.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby ShadowBat20 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:28 am

Yes! So, so excited for this! It'll be great to have Mega Man back on the small screen. Man of Action's involvement is...interesting. Their work can be kind of hit or miss with me, there was some good stuff in Ben 10, but I liked Alien Force and Ultimate Alien better. Generator Rex I thought was great. I also don't blame them for Ultimate Spider-Man's and Avengers Assemble's quality. Ultimate Spider-Man had Paul freakin' Dini working on the show and it still wasn't good. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, and hope for the best.
ShadowBat20
BumbleClan

Postby El Veinte » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:48 am

Are you guys saying quipping is a bad thing? Archie Mega Man quips quite a bit even in the first arc. "Can you punch lasers?" "I didn't mean to cut you off." "And now your Ice Slasher is mine! I'm not sure if I really want it, though. It sure didn't do you any good." He lets power go to his head and gets overconfident, too. I've read a lot of Japanese Mega Man comics, and this was the first I saw that dared to show Rock as a less than perfect golden-hearted hero. I think it's one of the main draws of the book, really. He has these issues and with help he overcomes them. And Blues injected the story full of teenaged angst. People seem to like it. So I think what people mean is not that quipping and flaws and such are despicable for heroes, just they don't want the characters to develop and not be purely one-note. I hope that too.
El Veinte
BumbleFan

Postby SonicSoul » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:05 pm

But at least when Mega Man makes quips in the comic, it's far and between and doesn't detract from the drama when it does happen.

What most are saying (and hoping) that MOA doesn't make it Rock's one defining trait like they have with their previous protagonists. Mega Man making small jokes during a fight is fine, just don't overdo it.
Last edited by SonicSoul on Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby Azul » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:08 pm

El Veinte wrote:Are you guys saying quipping is a bad thing? Archie Mega Man quips quite a bit even in the first arc. "Can you punch lasers?" "I didn't mean to cut you off." "And now your Ice Slasher is mine! I'm not sure if I really want it, though. It sure didn't do you any good." He lets power go to his head and gets overconfident, too. I've read a lot of Japanese Mega Man comics, and this was the first I saw that dared to show Rock as a less than perfect golden-hearted hero. I think it's one of the main draws of the book, really. He has these issues and with help he overcomes them. And Blues injected the story full of teenaged angst. People seem to like it. So I think what people mean is not that quipping and flaws and such are despicable for heroes, just they don't want the characters to develop and not be purely one-note. I hope that too.

Mega Man does not quip on the severity as the likes of Spidey, Ben, Rex, or Sonic. The latter three are all overconfident and even enjoy fighting bad guys and all four like making them flustered.

SonicSoul wrote:But at least when Mega Man makes quips in the comic, it's far and between and doesn't detract from the drama when it does happen.

What most are saying (and hoping) that MOA doesn't make it Rock's one defining trait like they have with their previous protagonists.

I concur.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:14 pm

ShadowBat20 wrote:Yes! So, so excited for this! It'll be great to have Mega Man back on the small screen. Man of Action's involvement is...interesting. Their work can be kind of hit or miss with me, there was some good stuff in Ben 10, but I liked Alien Force and Ultimate Alien better. Generator Rex I thought was great. I also don't blame them for Ultimate Spider-Man's and Avengers Assemble's quality. Ultimate Spider-Man had Paul freakin' Dini working on the show and it still wasn't good. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, and hope for the best.

Again, Man of Action made only original Ben 10, not Alien Force nor Ultimate Alien.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby ShadowBat20 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:50 pm

MetalSkulkBane wrote:
ShadowBat20 wrote:Yes! So, so excited for this! It'll be great to have Mega Man back on the small screen. Man of Action's involvement is...interesting. Their work can be kind of hit or miss with me, there was some good stuff in Ben 10, but I liked Alien Force and Ultimate Alien better. Generator Rex I thought was great. I also don't blame them for Ultimate Spider-Man's and Avengers Assemble's quality. Ultimate Spider-Man had Paul freakin' Dini working on the show and it still wasn't good. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, and hope for the best.

Again, Man of Action made only original Ben 10, not Alien Force nor Ultimate Alien.

I know that. I could have worded that better, my bad. What I meant was, while I liked Ben 10 and what MoA did with it, I felt Dwayne McDuffie and the others handled the characters/plots better in AF and UA.
ShadowBat20
BumbleClan

Postby Mavrickindigo » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:57 pm

MetalSkulkBane wrote:

I am very happy with this news
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:52 am

Mavrickindigo wrote:
MetalSkulkBane wrote:

I am very happy with this news

Ben 10 is a very weird beast to me. I watch it since I was a kid and I love it. But when I take step back I see that every cartoon had some serious flaws.
First cartoon had great animation and aliens, but main heroes were really annoying ans stories just lacked loftiness. Pretty much every villain had the no personality, aside from Vilgax, Kevin and arguably Charmcaster.
Second cartoon is were things went big, but also awkward. Kevin/Gwen relation was weird, Ben was really bland and most aliens were just mix of old ones. Still, I have a soft spot for this one for trying to be more mature, like "Alone Together" or finale of Highbreed.
Ultimate Alien (and last season of Alien Force) was a weird mix. They finally return some old villains, tried to make funny and serious episodes, overall they tried to do same thing as Flynn does; to please everyone. Only problem is that they often failed in both. Some episodes were down right idiotic (Eggman Cometh) while other tried too hard to be serious (Catch A Falling Star). And animations was somehow worse than first show.
And finally Omniverse tried to just step back and simply do it's own thing and be good on it's own merits (but with %^& load of old characters, even the most obscure ones.) If you look at it from grand perspective it was the best cartoon; it had a set tone, they finally got Ben's personality, Rook was a great addition and animation was much more colorful. But when I look at stand alone episodes I can see there was much bigger percentage of bad episodes than previous cartoons. It was especially visible after season 5.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby Partywagon » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:14 am

Ok, first off, the new series is only 26-episodes. If it's an anniversary-only thing like what I think it is, that's too short a run to really do anything at all to the comics let alone change them. Secondly, MoA patented "quippy hero" trope is entirely the result of Ben 10. That show was their flagship pretty much. Studios saw it, liked it, and decieded that they wanted something similar. I like to think of Generator Rex as the show where they try to slide away from that (hero's not as confident, battles are often uncertain, not everything works out). USM and AA, on the other hand, I feel are the results of Marvel's joes looking down on the children who watch the crap they put on TV cuz they're still bitter about the Disney acquisition.
Partywagon
BumbleNewbie

PreviousNext

Return to For Everlasting Peace!