Mega Man Cartoon by Man of Action in Development

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Mega Man Cartoon by Man of Action In Deveolpment

Postby Damo » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:04 pm

Razorsaw wrote:also, you act as if Mega Man naturally has a lot of depth as a character himself.

The Mega Man of the animated cutscenes in Super Adventure Rockman, Ariga's Megamix, and Shigeto Ikehara's Mega Man manga? And Ian's books?

Yeah, I'd say that the little Astro Boy-inspired hero forced to fight while hating it has more depth than Rex. Or Sonic.

Razorsaw wrote:Heck, Rex isn't very far removed from SONIC, so...

Agreed. And I've already got Sonic, so why would I want to see Mega Man written more like Sonic?

Mordum wrote:
You know what else has really emotionally shallow characters? Megaman

If you mean the games, then sure. If you mean the comics and manga, I think we're going to have to disagree there.

Mordum wrote:Also, Flynn deals with mandates more or less constantly, so I'm highly doubting one more mandate would demolish this book even if it had to be effected.
[/quote]

What if the mandate in question was "cancel Mega Man and focus on Mega Man Boom" (or whatever the new book might be called, if there's a new book)?

What if the mandate was "knock it off with the introspective kidlike Rock and write a quip-slinging gung-ho action hero Mega Man that goes to high school, like in the show?"

Obviously that's a worst case scenario. I'm absolutely positively NOT saying that will definitely happen. But the news that there's a new cartoon from a studio I actively dislike has me feeling uneasy about possible negative effects on the book, even if the odds are in favor of things being fine.

Been burned being a blue bomber fan too often to not be a little uneasy.
Damo
BumbleKnight

Postby Mordum » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:14 pm

Damo wrote:If you mean the games, then sure. If you mean the comics and manga, I think we're going to have to disagree there.

I do mean the games, yes. If you really wanted an ACCURATE Megaman game, the people you think Man of Action are are really your best choice.

What if the mandate in question was "cancel Mega Man and focus on Mega Man Boom" (or whatever the new book might be called, if there's a new book)?

Oh come on.

What if the mandate was "knock it off with the introspective kidlike Rock and write a quip-slinging gung-ho action hero Mega Man that goes to high school, like in the show?"

Five bucks says if Archie Megaman did an arc where Megaman became more quippy, it'd be so far down the line that if some equivalent show didn't exist, people would see it as an interesting turn in Megaman's character where he's begun to naturally and dangerously integrate his prior innate bloodlust with his more child-like sense of playful innocence and like every other mandate be played up for its shades (The Megaman X pilot is about how XANDER IS RIGHT) and everyone would love it if it a cartoon didn't run beside it.

What if Megaman stumbled into the stomach of Moby Dick (but only the kiddy, awful Hanna Barbera version!) and found Pinocchio, but rather than have any philosophical discussion about the nature of their lives Kikaider and Astro Boy found them through a portal leading to the Digital World and have to prove the validity of their existence to the D-Reaper, who only wants to take a sentient robot with a self actualized existence to the Sadie Hawkins Dance?

HOW DID YOU FIND MY SPEC SCRIPT.

But the news that there's a new cartoon from a studio I actively dislike.

Nitpick, but Man of Action is a brand name for five creatives, not a studio. They work FOR studios, and do what a specific studio wants.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby Damo » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:28 pm

Mordum wrote:I do mean the games, yes. If you really wanted an ACCURATE Megaman game, the people you think Man of Action are are really your best choice.

I'm inclined to disagree, honestly. Super Adventure Rockman and the later Mega Man games didn't have great depth, but there was enough there to give an honest impression that Rock was pretty far removed from the action-loving quip-flinging hero archetype that Man of Action sticks to like glue.

Mordum wrote:

Oh come on.

No, seriously. Mega Man's sales aren't in cancellation territory, but they're not high enough to dismiss the idea of cancellation out of hand. A cartoon might give a bit of a short-term boost to sales of the book, but if Archie did go the two-title route I wouldn't be surprised if the cartoon spinoff ended up outselling the "eh, it's got its head above the water" sales of the main book. And then if Archie had to make a financial decision to cancel one book or the other?

If Mega Man was selling better I wouldn't be worried, but it's just plain not doing so hot.

Mordum wrote:Five bucks says if Archie Megaman did an arc where Megaman became more quippy, it'd be so far down the line that if some equivalent show didn't exist, people would see it as an interesting turn in Megaman's character where he's begun to naturally and dangerously integrate his prior innate bloodlust with his more child-like sense of playful innocence and like every other mandate be played up for its shades (The Megaman X pilot is about how XANDER IS RIGHT) and everyone would love it if it a cartoon didn't run beside it.

We're going to have to agree to disagree. I don't want to see a quippy Sonicesque version of Mega Man at any point in the future. There's lots of heroes that fall into that mold and do it well. There's a shortage of Astro Boy styled eternal preteens that are forced to fight and dislike it far too much to be spouting one-liners all the time. I don't see the need to turn one of the rare examples of the latter turned into one of the former.

Mordum wrote:Nitpick, but Man of Action is a brand name for five creatives, not a studio. They work FOR studios, and do what a specific studio wants.

Fine, I've disliked everything I've seen or watched with the "Man of Action" label on it (Except for I Kill Giants, which was just a letdown more than actively bad. American Virgin made up for it by being twice as bad as I would've thought possible).
Damo
BumbleKnight

Postby Mordum » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:46 pm

I Kill Giants is my favorite comic book ever, amusingly (though it's not really a Man of Action brand, as much as it's a personal project given that label for reasons that mystify me). I think it's a beautiful script with perhaps even more beautiful art. I can't wait for the movie.

I'm not even really saying that someone has to be okay with a Megaman cartoon being Man of Actionized as much as I feel like this insane level of reactionary @#$% to something you don't even have an interest in just seems off, even if you're admitting it's not likely to happen. I dunno. You're not exactly special by having franchises you love get mistreated. Almost EVERY brand I love has more or less been decimated by mediocre product (though in some cases, like Hellraiser, I tend to find it pretty charming) but I don't exactly turn into Chicken Little about any new additions to their material.

I mean, I'm just spitballing a little here, but you COULD always just, y'know, wait for actual information beyond the fact that this product exists. Will Megaman be some Ben/Rex/Agrom snark kid? Maybe. But I'm doubting that this thing existing is going to ruin the comic for you. Different subsections of brands co-exist ALL the time. If this is an anniversary work, they're probably COUNTING on multiple iterations existing and being there to remind people of Megaman's big long history. If anything, making the comic and cartoon similar would be counterproductive to almost any corporate strategy come anniversary time.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby SonicSoul » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:00 pm

I certainly wouldn't want another Ruby Spears Mega Man if you're going to have him be all attitude and eager for a fight. That's Bass's jig.

It's what essentially separates Mega Man from other hero characters. Someone who does not seek war, but is always ready for when it happens. Is this really a hard concept to grasp for some people when adapting the Blue Bomber in anything especially when it's done with a Western appeal in mind? Like we can't handle that being hero isn't always about being cool and sometimes it doesn't always end happily for him or the people he tries to help?

I would like to be proven wrong about this and do want to hope this will be good, but I do share Damo's concerns with how exactly this could be handled. There's nothing worse than to get excited over something but then realize how naïve and wrong you were about it when it's not what you hoped.

But more on-topic. Neat is all I can say. Though maybe some character designs or a teaser trailer to show things off could be cool as time goes by.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby ReifuTD » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:31 pm

Damo wrote:
ReifuTD wrote:My concern is If the cartoon does what the comic does and try to retell the video storyline the comics would fall behind fairly quickly, even with filler. Like this is how I see a TV series of game adaptions going.
And so it goes...

I can tell you right now there's virtually no hope of Man of Action doing enough research for something that close to the games. Look at how they adapted the Avengers and Spider-Man cartoons. For the most part they took some names, maybe took a glance at wikipedia for powers, then just made up their own stuff.

If anything I'd wager cash that this will feel similar to the Dreamwave books.

True given the long history of the Mega Series it would be like trying to adapt a long running comic book series into a animated series. It maybe best to screw the Wily Numbers introducing RMs in order thing and just write/adapt would best fit the narrative focusing on the last few games and working out from there.
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Postby ShinySnivy » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:33 pm

Why is everyone worried that Ian might be forced to change the comic to fit the show? Nowhere does it say that the cartoon is based off the comic, and they aren't related in any way, at least on the business side. Besides, wouldn't they have their own separate canons?
ShinySnivy
BumbleNewbie

Postby Damo » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:38 pm

Mordum wrote:I Kill Giants is my favorite comic book ever, amusingly (though it's not really a Man of Action brand, as much as it's a personal project given that label for reasons that mystify me). I think it's a beautiful script with perhaps even more beautiful art. I can't wait for the movie.

I found the art sometimes was stylized enough to occasionally make it difficult to follow what was going on, and the general plot was excellent but at times too rushed. Like I said, it was a bit of a letdown - good, but the basic premise deserved better.

As for Joe Kelly's other stuff, I'd consider him the second-worst modern Superman writer (Chuck Austen being the worst), and consider "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way" to be a jaw-droppingly terrible book that portrayed Superman as a knuckle-dragging thug unable to explain why killing criminals is bad beyond "well YOU wouldn't like it if I tried to kill YOU". I thought his Deadpool was decent, his Daredevil was bad, his X-Men was terrible, his Green Lantern was bad, his Steampunk was a waste of Chris Bachalo, his Four Eyes had an interesting idea badly implemented (with great art, but he can't take credit for that). I read Duncan Rouleau's The Nightmarist. Didn't like the writing. Never liked his art, I'm afraid. I've tried a few of Steven Seagle's books, and I've disliked them all (especially American Virgin).

And yeah, I've disliked their cartoons. I thought Ben 10 and Generator Rex had some interesting ideas early on that were ultimately squandered. I found Ultimate Spider-Man and Avengers Assemble to be pretty much unwatchable.

My point being, I know these guys' output. I know how I feel about their writing. I'm not going "it's different so it's bad," I'm going "oh no, not THEM. Not these people in particular. I know their work. I do not like their work."

Mordum wrote:I'm not even really saying that someone has to be okay with a Megaman cartoon being Man of Actionized as much as I feel like this insane level of reactionary @#$% to something you don't even have an interest in just seems off, even if you're admitting it's not likely to happen.

I said I disliked basically every work by the Man of Action team, so I was disappointed that they're attached, and that I was concerned there might be a negative impact on the Archie book, which is my favorite title on the shelves at the moment. And while I expressed concern that there might be a possible negative impact on the comic, I emphasized that in all likelihood things will be fine.

If you appreciate their output and have nothing but high hopes for the show, that's certainly okay. But we know there have been times when a cartoon/movie spinoff has changed how books have been written (and for that matter there have been times when a movie has had a negative impact on a cartoon). It's hardly unreasonable to express vague misgivings, especially while repeatedly acknowledging that in all likelihood things will be fine. I'm uneasy with this creative team, particularly since the book is on shaky ground saleswise. I'm probably worried about nothing, but I don't think some slight trepidation is unreasonable. It's all well and good to say that different versions of a brand CAN co-exist, but there are absolutely times when they DIDN'T. Transformers Animated was canceled precisely because it was in the way of Prime. Justice League Unlimited wasn't allowed use Batman villains because those interpretations might be different from what was in The Batman, which would be confusing, apparently. GI Joe Renegades got the axe (sorry, it's still on "hiatus" for retooling, natch) because it was too cartoony compared to the new movie that was extremely serious and realistic (thus producing toys that no kids were interested in buying). Sometimes you get something like Sonic and Sonic X, but sometimes things don't work out quite so happily. Different canons can get along, or you can have a survival of the fittest situation.

Mordum wrote: I dunno. You're not exactly special by having franchises you love get mistreated.

Mega Man is certainly hardly special in being mistreated. I'm not claiming otherwise. Just don't want to see it happen again, that's all.
Damo
BumbleKnight

Postby NxtWaltDisney » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:46 pm

I really don't mind MoA working on it. I mean, I loved all the Ben 10 shows & Generator Rex, & I actually kinda like USM & Avengers Assemble(yeah they could be better, but to me, there still enjoyable). My only nitpick is that it's only 26 episodes. I mean, if it's for the blue bomber's big 30, then maybe it would be better to do a 52 episode series, with arcs for all the mega man series'.

For example: 5-6 episodes per series, with the rest of the episodes being a great big crossover event! Now THAT would be a good series!
NxtWaltDisney
BumbleClan

Postby SaturnWalrus7 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:52 pm

It's great that Megaman is getting a new cartoon :mrgreen:
I'm looking forward to see who will they get to the voices :D
SaturnWalrus7
BumbleNewbie

Postby lalalei2001 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:06 pm

I'd love it if Scott McNeil voiced Wily again.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Betz! » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:16 pm

3D like Boom. My only requirement.
Betz!
BumbleKnight

Postby Tcat » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:54 pm

ShinySnivy wrote:Why is everyone worried that Ian might be forced to change the comic to fit the show? Nowhere does it say that the cartoon is based off the comic, and they aren't related in any way, at least on the business side. Besides, wouldn't they have their own separate canons?

Not to mention both show and comic are based off THE SOURCE MATERIAL of a video game. I have no idea what the show's going to be about, whether they follow the games like Ian is doing with the comic or do something else entirely, but there's probably a good chance the book and the show are going to have the SAME main characters in it. Though, I agree with other posters around here that I hope they incorporate things from the comic into the show :P

Me? I'll just be happy to see Forte on TV after all these years and hope they decide to do a Megaman X crossover just for poop and giggles. *epic squee*
Tcat
BumbleClan

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:06 pm

ShinySnivy wrote:Why is everyone worried that Ian might be forced to change the comic to fit the show? Nowhere does it say that the cartoon is based off the comic, and they aren't related in any way, at least on the business side. Besides, wouldn't they have their own separate canons?

According to Ian one of the reasons he can do what he wants with the comic (like retell games from over 20 years ago) is because Capcom has no active interest in the comic. A TV show might change that. They could very well ask him to tweak the comic to match the show. And they may have justification to do so since the comic just barely scrapes by.
Gauntlet101010
BumbleFan

Postby Pi.exe » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:38 am

PC the Hedgehog wrote:If Man Of Action is looking to the 90's American Mega Man cartoon as a reference for how to make a new American Mega Man cartoon...hoo boy.

Mighty Number Six Pack
Pi.exe
BumbleNewbie

PreviousNext

Return to For Everlasting Peace!