Mega Man Cartoon by Man of Action in Development

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Mega Man Cartoon by Man of Action In Deveolpment

Postby Antiyonder » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:31 pm

Damo wrote:I've hated every show Man of Action has done, so honestly my concern is that it might have some weird negative impact on how the frankly phenomenal book is being written.

To be fair though, their cartoons still get good reception from the kids, so if anything, it would mean that it might be easier to get more attention for the comic.
Antiyonder
BumbleCitizen

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:36 pm

Antiyonder wrote:
Damo wrote:I've hated every show Man of Action has done, so honestly my concern is that it might have some weird negative impact on how the frankly phenomenal book is being written.

To be fair though, their cartoons still get good reception from the kids, so if anything, it would mean that it might be easier to get more attention for the comic.

Yes, but that can be double edged sword. What if Flynn will be told to make comic more 'kid friendly' in order to fit with comical cartoon.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby Azul » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:40 pm

MetalSkulkBane wrote:
Antiyonder wrote:

Yes, but that can be double edged sword. What if Flynn will be told to make comic more 'kid friendly' in order to fit with comical cartoon.

Please no. The themes Mega Man explore are one of the best things about it.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby Damo » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:41 pm

Antiyonder wrote:

Contrariwise, it could result in Ian being pressured to make his book more like the show, or even in Capcom deciding to go with another company to get something closer to the cartoon. That's unlikely, but not impossible.

Put simply, Man of Action has one hero that they spam over and over.

Generator Rex's lead is overconfident, cocky, impulsive, rebelious, and full of quips.
Ben Ten's lead is overconfident, cocky, impulsive, rebelious, and full of quips.
Ultimate Spider Man isn't quite as overconfident and cocky, but he's far less introspective than in any of the other mass media portrayals. And he's quite the quippy action hero.
Avengers Assemble lobotomized Earth's Mightiest Heroes, with a greater emphasis on tough guys being tough and quippy. No need for anyone having depth.

I have zero faith in them giving us anything even remotely resembling the Mega Man that we've seen in the various manga, comics, OAVs, etc. I'm extremely confident that it will resemble, if anything, the Ruby Spears portrayal, how the Americans translated the games, or even how Novas Aventuras de Megaman portrayed Mega Man - a generic quippy dynamic action hero.

Most likely it won't have a negative impact on the book, but over the years I've definitely seen bad things happen to shows/books I enjoyed because another version in another medium ended up casting a shadow.
Damo
BumbleKnight

Postby Mordum » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:47 pm

There may be a way around this. If Archie had a different comic attached to a giant multi-media brand, we might be able to figure out what could happen if Capcom liked the performance of the TV show and wanted to expand its brand presence. If Archie had some sort of really well selling tie-in book to an animated series that didn't infringe on the content of another tie-in book to that brand's overall identity, we might have some sort of baseline of assumption to work with rather than immediately jumping the gun with kneejerk suspicion.

But until that happens, we're a bit left in the dark.

Spoiler: show
I'm pretty sure Sonic X and Sonic Boom indicate they'd just make a second Megaman book for the show.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby ReifuTD » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:05 pm

My concern is If the cartoon does what the comic does and try to retell the video storyline the comics would fall behind fairly quickly, even with filler. Like this is how I see a TV series of game adaptions going.

S1Ep 1&2: Origin/MM1 two parter

Eps 3-11: Mix of filler and stories setting up future storylines focusing on the MM2 adaption

Eps 12&13: Mind season/ that finishes MM2 storyline

Eps 14-24: Mix of filler and stories setting up future storylines focusing on the MM3 adaption

Eps 25&26: Season final/ that finishes MM3 storyline

S2Eps 1&2: openinger that sets up the MM4 storyline

Eps 3-11: Mix of filler and stories setting up future storylines focusing on the MM4 adaption

Eps 12&13: Mind season/ that finishes MM4 storyline

And so it goes...
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Postby Damo » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:06 pm

Mordum wrote:There may be a way around this. If Archie had a different comic attached to a giant multi-media brand, we might be able to figure out what could happen if Capcom liked the performance of the TV show and wanted to expand its brand presence. If Archie had some sort of really well selling tie-in book to an animated series that didn't infringe on the content of another tie-in book to that brand's overall identity, we might have some sort of baseline of assumption to work with rather than immediately jumping the gun with kneejerk suspicion.

I'm pretty sure Sonic X and Sonic Boom indicate they'd just make a second Megaman book for the show.

Most likely. The big difference here is that the current Mega Man book isn't exactly selling as well as the main Sonic book did when Sonic X came out. I'd argue there's a danger that a Mega Man cartoon tie-in would prove more appealing as the title to keep in print between two Mega Man books.

It's extremely likely that things will work out fine. But sure I'm concerned, I like what Ian's been writing. And I'm honestly annoyed that Capcom gave the license to a company that's done absolutely nothing to show they could do the source material justice in my eyes. There's a lot of people I'd be willing to give a chance to. Heck, I'd love to see one by the folks who did Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, before Man of Action stepped in. This just seems like pearls before swine, in my opinion. Pity.

ReifuTD wrote:My concern is If the cartoon does what the comic does and try to retell the video storyline the comics would fall behind fairly quickly, even with filler. Like this is how I see a TV series of game adaptions going.
And so it goes...

I can tell you right now there's virtually no hope of Man of Action doing enough research for something that close to the games. Look at how they adapted the Avengers and Spider-Man cartoons. For the most part they took some names, maybe took a glance at wikipedia for powers, then just made up their own stuff.

If anything I'd wager cash that this will feel similar to the Dreamwave books.
Damo
BumbleKnight

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:14 pm

Here's the Press Release.

SANTA MONICA, CA – Dentsu Entertainment USA has partnered with Man of Action Entertainment to develop a 26-episode animated series based on Capcom’s iconic video game franchise Mega Man™ for the global market, it was announced today by Yuichi @#$%, President and Chief Executive Officer, Dentsu Entertainment USA, Inc. Under terms of the deal, Dentsu Entertainment holds worldwide broadcast and licensing rights for all aspects of the new Mega Man TV series.

Dentsu handpicked Man Of Action Entertainment, creators of Ben 10 and Generator Rex, to create, write and executive produce the all-new Mega Man animated series. Disney/Marvel's Academy Award®-winning feature Big Hero 6 utilized the characters and team created by Man of Action, the bi-coastal creative studio and writers' collective formed by creators and acclaimed comic book writers Joe Casey, Joe Kelly, Duncan Rouleau and Steven T. Seagle. Marvel called upon Man of Action to produce and write Ultimate Spider-Man and Marvel's Avengers Assemble for their successful launches on Disney XD. The new Mega Man series has a target air date of 2017, coinciding with the franchise’s 30th anniversary.

“We are very excited about the opportunity to introduce an all-new Mega Man to loyal fans and kids,” said @#$%, commenting on the deal. “Having a celebrated character from Japan reimagined by Man Of Action is the ideal project for Dentsu Entertainment USA.”

Man of Action's Rouleau said, “The 1990s Mega Man TV series was cool and different than other series targeted at kids during that time. It featured great action, but also brought the laughs. Mega Man is a character that is even more relevant for today’s kids and we are really looking forward to creating something new that still respects the long tradition of the character.”

The Mega Man franchise is grounded in a series of video games, first launched in 1987, featuring battles fought by the eponymous blue robot protagonist and an ongoing cast of allies and enemies. The Mega Man multiverse has spawned over 130 video games on multiple gaming systems, selling over 30 million copies worldwide, as well as a plethora of toys, comics and collectibles. A highly-rated Mega Man TV series was popular in the USA in the 1990s and aired for several seasons.

Source
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Antiyonder » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:22 pm

Mordum wrote:There may be a way around this. If Archie had a different comic attached to a giant multi-media brand, we might be able to figure out what could happen if Capcom liked the performance of the TV show and wanted to expand its brand presence. If Archie had some sort of really well selling tie-in book to an animated series that didn't infringe on the content of another tie-in book to that brand's overall identity, we might have some sort of baseline of assumption to work with rather than immediately jumping the gun with kneejerk suspicion.

Pretty much what I'd expect.
Antiyonder
BumbleCitizen

Postby Mordum » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:25 pm

Damo wrote:
I can tell you right now there's virtually no hope of Man of Action doing enough research for something that close to the games. Look at how they adapted the Avengers and Spider-Man cartoons. For the most part they took some names, maybe took a glance at wikipedia for powers, then just made up their own stuff.

Playing devil's advocate for a moment...but...what's so bad about that?

Liking something doesn't equal it being sacred, and I can tell you with a straight face (besides pointing out that a lot of how USM and Avengers Assemble were very much dictated anyway as part of Loeb's overall initiative for a light, comedic face for their animated brands) that I would MUCH rather someone actually do their own interpretation of a brand that try to be "accurate." This is a game series where even the sequence in which you meet your antagonists isn't even set in stone.

Let them do something new. Why not?
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby Razorsaw » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:41 pm

Okay, first of all, MoM isn't the sole creative force behind Avengers and Ultimate Spider-man. They don't work on either show anymore, and they've remained largely the same without their influence. I think those shows are the way they are mostly due to the influence of Disney, not them in particular.

They made the show they were asked to make. You give back what you're given in the end.

Second of all, Generator Rex is a great show with a surprising amount of depth, so I think that should be counted.
Razorsaw
BumbleCitizen

Postby Damo » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:49 pm

Mordum wrote:
Damo wrote:

Playing devil's advocate for a moment...but...what's so bad about that?

If the current books' sales were better I'd be going "Hey, Sonic and Sonic X functioned side by side! So did Sonic and Sonic Boom!"

The current book's sales aren't great. They're not dismal, but I do think there's reason for MILD concern that we might see Man of Action's portrayal result in the loss of the portrayal we've been getting. Is it hugely likely? No, probably not. Is there a chance? Sure.

So yeah, I can respect different people liking different things and all that, but I'm still seeing this show as a direct threat to my favorite book, and I wish that the license went to a different company.

Honestly after waiting this long for a Mega Man cartoon, I'm not going to apologize for wanting one that's decently similar to the source material. If you're not planning on getting anywhere close, just make your own thing, don't work on a licensed property.

Moreover, while there's something to be said for doing your own interpretation of a work, I honestly find Man of Action's interpretations of Marvel's characters to be lazy, phoned-in, and extremely repetitive after a while. They've got some staff that can write some decent humor, but beyond that their characters felt extremely shallow emotionally.

Razorsaw wrote:Second of all, Generator Rex is a great show with a surprising amount of depth, so I think that should be counted.

I saw some hints of something decent in the Generator Rex eps I saw, but not a whole lot, while Rex himself felt like an extremely generic action show teenage protagonist.
Damo
BumbleKnight

Postby DaddlerTheDalek » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:52 pm

SonicBlueRanger wrote:No Network yet but they're develop 26 episodes so this things on the way.

I'm not sure how to feel about Man of Action being in charge TBH. Ultimate Spider-Man's gotten better but it's still pretty meh in general.

I'm personally hoping they take more from the comics (Maybe throw Stern and Krantz or Tempo?) myself but still I'm interested.

Yay! Great news! :D
DaddlerTheDalek
BumbleKnight

Postby Razorsaw » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:52 pm

yeah, he's a lot more multilayered than that.

also, you act as if Mega Man naturally has a lot of depth as a character himself. Heck, Rex isn't very far removed from SONIC, so...
Razorsaw
BumbleCitizen

Postby Mordum » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:55 pm

Razorsaw wrote: I think those shows are the way they are mostly due to the influence of Disney, not them in particular.

Something that only happens to Marvel's properties but doesn't happen to Disney's properties does not make it Disney's fault.

Marvel's decision to churn out crappy cartoons and movies based on factory-driven house styles is nobody's decision but their own, and it's worked out marvelously (ha!) for them on a financial level. The Marvel shows don't really reflect Disney's in-house content, as anyone who looks beyond the Marvel shows on Disney or Disney XD for literally ten seconds can tell you.

Damo wrote:The current book's sales aren't great. They're not dismal, but I do think there's reason for MILD concern that we might see Man of Action's portrayal result in the loss of the portrayal we've been getting. Is it hugely likely? No, probably not. Is there a chance? Sure.

So yeah, I can respect different people liking different things and all that, but I'm still seeing this show as a direct threat to my favorite book, and I wish that the license went to a different company.

Honestly after waiting this long for a Mega Man cartoon, I'm not going to apologize for wanting one that's decently similar to the source material. If you're not planning on getting anywhere close, just make your own thing, don't work on a licensed property.

Moreover, while there's something to be said for doing your own interpretation of a work, I honestly find Man of Action's interpretations of Marvel's characters to be lazy, phoned-in, and extremely repetitive after a while. They've got some staff that can write some decent humor, but beyond that their characters felt extremely shallow emotionally.

You know what else has really emotionally shallow characters?

Megaman.

Also, Flynn deals with mandates more or less constantly, so I'm highly doubting one more mandate would demolish this book even if it had to be effected. Megaman as a book is basically a giant thesis on how to juggle constant inconvenient tie-ins and mandates and still make a compelling story.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

PreviousNext

Return to For Everlasting Peace!