Mega Man Cartoon by Man of Action in Development

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Mega Man Cartoon by Man of Action In Deveolpment

Postby Axel T Rat » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:44 pm

As long as it doesn't have a similar tone to Ultimate Spidey, I'm cool with this the whole way through.
Axel T Rat
BumbleKnight

Postby lalalei2001 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:55 pm

I asked Brett Elston what series it was. he's not sure yet because it's so new.

"no clue, pretty early still and all I know is that it's starring Mega Man. I assume Classic but I don't know for sure "
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Azul » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:13 pm

*Squeals like a little girl getting a pony*
First of all, I love Man of Action works. I'm a huge Ben 10 fan and I loved Generator Rex just as much. I'm really hoping it gets put on Cartoon Network. Not to nark on Ultimate Spider-Man which had its moments, but Disney will kidifye it waaaay too much. If it ends up on CN, I think it will be able to get into more complicate themes like the comics do.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby Mordum » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:31 pm

I'm not the biggest Man of Action guy, though I love Joe Kelly, but if you're talking about how Ultimate Spider-Man or Avengers Assemble is a definitive look at how Megaman will absolutely be, you don't really know what you're talking about.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby Azul » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:35 pm

Mordum wrote:I'm not the biggest Man of Action guy, though I love Joe Kelly, but if you're talking about how Ultimate Spider-Man or Avengers Assemble is a definitive look at how Megaman will absolutely be, you don't really know what you're talking about.

God no. I'm leaning towards Ben 10:AF and UA as well as GR in terms of tone and pacing.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby Mordum » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:41 pm

It was more a general statement aimed at everyone, because as soon as I saw this thread I assumed there was gonna be USM whining and I was right!

Yours was one of the few posts that understands how executive mandates work, except one problem:

but Disney will kidifye it waaaay too much.

Improbable. The Marvel cartoons everyone whines about for destroying their sacred men in tights are done BY Marvel. If you look at the action cartoons created by Disney in recent years (Motorcity, Tron: Uprising, etc.) using their actual, in-house properties, you may notice a huge tonal shift and how the silly comedy seems suspiciously only on Marvel's shows, which're done in-house at Marvel and Disney lets them do what they want, similar to how Disney just lets Lucasfilm produce the very New Hope-esque Star Wars: Rebels.

(If anything, given Tron: Uprising's fairly liberal freedom in regards to the loop hole of Programs not "technically" being people, you probably have a decent model for how Disney would react to Megaman characters going through their business.)

Disney is no more a factor on the tone of a Megaman show than Cartoon Network is, as both of them would have the same relationship with the show: deciding whether or not to buy and air it.

Though Alien Force and Ultimate Alien, while a part of the Man of Action brand, weren't actually MADE by Man of Action, so how accurate a model those are for tonal precedence is debatable as well.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:55 pm

Mordum wrote:Though Alien Force and Ultimate Alien, while a part of the Man of Action brand, weren't actually MADE by Man of Action, so how accurate a model those are for tonal precedence is debatable as well.

That's kinda funny though:
"Yo, Man of Action, we want to make a Megaman cartoon for us. Now, remember when you were making Ben 10? We want you to write exactly the same way as guys who replace you with it. Make it so!"
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby Azul » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:00 pm

Mordum wrote:It was more a general statement aimed at everyone, because as soon as I saw this thread I assumed there was gonna be USM whining and I was right!

Yours was one of the few posts that understands how executive mandates work, except one problem:

but Disney will kidifye it waaaay too much.

Improbable. The Marvel cartoons everyone whines about for destroying their sacred men in tights are done BY Marvel. If you look at the action cartoons created by Disney in recent years (Motorcity, Tron: Uprising, etc.) using their actual, in-house properties, you may notice a huge tonal shift and how the silly comedy seems suspiciously only on Marvel's shows, which're done in-house at Marvel and Disney lets them do what they want, similar to how Disney just lets Lucasfilm produce the very New Hope-esque Star Wars: Rebels.

(If anything, given Tron: Uprising's fairly liberal freedom in regards to the loop hole of Programs not "technically" being people, you probably have a decent model for how Disney would react to Megaman characters going through their business.)

Disney is no more a factor on the tone of a Megaman show than Cartoon Network is, as both of them would have the same relationship with the show: deciding whether or not to buy and air it.

Though Alien Force and Ultimate Alien, while a part of the Man of Action brand, weren't actually MADE by Man of Action, so how accurate a model those are for tonal precedence is debatable as well.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot that MoA only made the original and Ominiverse. Got to caught up on my Ben 10 hype train :oops: :(hearty laughter):. I haven't seen Disney's other line of action shows so I kind of assumed the Marvel shows were the status quo. My mistake but my main concern however is the maturity level. I may be hoping for too much but I wouldn't mind a TV-PG Mega Man show. If the show follows the comic's example and delves into topics such as the morality of being happy for killing someone even though they were considered evil, I don't think that would constitute for a Y7-FV rating. I mean, how many TV-PG cartoons does Disney have?
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby Mordum » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:03 pm

The one thing Man of Action have going for them is they're actually pretty good at hitting whatever tone of a brand their bosses want them to hit. Regardless of what you think of Ultimate Spider-Man or Avengers Assemble, if you have the original Ben 10, Generator Rex, and the CGI Gormiti lined up in a row, there's more than enough that tells you they're proooobably gonna be able to deliver a perfectly solid action show based on a property with a pretty clearly defined tone and cast.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby Antiyonder » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:04 pm

Axel T Rat wrote:As long as it doesn't have a similar tone to Ultimate Spidey, I'm cool with this the whole way through.

Not exactly the problem. Batman The Brave and the Bold is an example of how it could have still worked. With competent writing. Heck, 80s cheese aside Amazing Friends did it well.

To be more specific though, I look at how Ben and MoA Spider-Man are portrayed.

The comic manages to make Mega Man flawed enough that he isn't perfect, but it does so without compromising likability. With MoA on the otherhand, I expect Mega Man will be made to be an unlikable jerk.
Antiyonder
BumbleCitizen

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:10 pm

[quote="Azul"]Oh yeah, I totally forgot that MoA only made the original and Ominiverse./quote]

Only original. :wink:
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby Azul » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:14 pm

Mordum wrote:The one thing Man of Action have going for them is they're actually pretty good at hitting whatever tone of a brand their bosses want them to hit. Regardless of what you think of Ultimate Spider-Man or Avengers Assemble, if you have the original Ben 10, Generator Rex, and the CGI Gormiti lined up in a row, there's more than enough that tells you they're proooobably gonna be able to deliver a perfectly solid action show based on a property with a pretty clearly defined tone and cast.

Yeah, you're right about that. Fair point.

MetalSkulkBane wrote:
Azul wrote:Oh yeah, I totally forgot that MoA only made the original and Ominiverse.

Only original. :wink:

ZOMG :oops:
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby Mordum » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:19 pm

Azul wrote:. My mistake but my main concern however is the maturity level. I may be hoping for too much but I wouldn't mind a TV-PG Mega Man show. If the show follows the comic's example and delves into topics such as the morality of being happy for killing someone even though they were considered evil, I don't think that would constitute for a Y7-FV rating. I mean, how many TV-PG cartoons does Disney have?

Having trouble finding a page for Disney XD for this, but if you're curious:

http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/legal/ratings.html

The Ben 10s, including Alien Force and Ultimate Alien, clock at TV-Y7. So if there's a certain tone and complexity they have that you'd like them to capture (I wouldn't really know, I've barely seen them), Y7's probably got you covered. You'll also notice something like Samurai Jack, which is regularly more melancholy and introspective than a lot of shows on that list, also clocks at a Y7 (again, his enemies all being robots probably doesn't hurt).

Parental guidance ratings tend to be very subjective and aren't necessarily the strongest rubric for what does and doesn't go in a show. Context is key. I'm also fairly certain "PG-V" is largely centered around violence, and the more nebulous moral complexity (relatively speaking) of shows like Young Justice may not factor in as much as one would suspect.
Last edited by Mordum on Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby Damo » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:21 pm

I've hated every show Man of Action has done, so honestly my concern is that it might have some weird negative impact on how the frankly phenomenal book is being written.
Damo
BumbleKnight

Postby Azul » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:28 pm

Mordum wrote:
Azul wrote:. My mistake but my main concern however is the maturity level. I may be hoping for too much but I wouldn't mind a TV-PG Mega Man show. If the show follows the comic's example and delves into topics such as the morality of being happy for killing someone even though they were considered evil, I don't think that would constitute for a Y7-FV rating. I mean, how many TV-PG cartoons does Disney have?

Having trouble finding a page for Disney XD for this, but if you're curious:

http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/legal/ratings.html

The Ben 10s, including Alien Force and Ultimate Alien, clock at TV-Y7. So if there's a certain tone and complexity they have that you'd like them to capture (I wouldn't really know, I've barely seen them), Y7's probably got you covered. You'll also notice something like Samurai Jack, which is regularly more melancholy and introspective than a lot of shows on that list, also clocks at a Y7 (again, his enemies all being robots probably doesn't hurt).

Parental guidance ratings tend to be very subjective and aren't necessarily the strongest rubric for what does and doesn't go in a show. Context is key. I'm also fairly certain "PG-V" is largely centered around violence, and the more nebulous moral complexity (relatively speaking) of shows like Young Justice may not factor in as much as one would suspect.

Yes yes and yes.
Azul
BumbleKnight

PreviousNext

Return to For Everlasting Peace!