MegaManMonthly hacked- Help Needed

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

MegaManMonthly hacked- Help Needed

Postby TheFatPanda » Mon May 25, 2015 10:47 am

Some very unfortunate news, the Archie Mega Man site MegaManMonthly has been hacked and taken offline.

https://twitter.com/megamanmonthly/stat ... 6928226305

A lot of stuff's been lost, and Steven needs help in restoring the site, and he's reaching out for help.

Drop him a line if you think you're up to the task!
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Re: MegaManMonthly hacked- Help Needed

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Mon May 25, 2015 10:53 am

Is there anything that non-informatics can do?
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Mon May 25, 2015 11:57 am

I hate it when people do things like this. Be sure to change the password to your e-mail; you don't know if that was compromised!

https://web.archive.org/web/20140701000 ... onthly.com

Your site seems to be archived pretty extensively. Have you checked this out?
Gauntlet101010
BumbleFan

Postby lalalei2001 » Mon May 25, 2015 1:04 pm

That's awful! What kind of help do you need, besides restoring the site? I'm not a programmer, but I do know a lot about Mega Man. What kind of site is/was it?
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Mon May 25, 2015 1:10 pm

Oh, by the by, if you're quick you can check out Google cache of your site and save your data that way. But be quick! The more popular you are the more often they cache. Just check the old URL and save it as HTML.
Gauntlet101010
BumbleFan

Postby Mega Man Monthly » Mon May 25, 2015 2:51 pm

Oh, wow. I really appreciate the kind words from all!

I'm not particularly sure how this happened, but it's probably my own fault. My passwords were probably not as strong as they should have been, and I used a lot of plugins (like WordPress and ZenPhoto) that were likely way behind on updates. I have changed all of my site-related passwords to something convoluted and difficult to remember (so I guess it's time to start utilizing sticky-notes to remember them).

I have a relatively outdated backup of the site from February 2014, so I could probably fill in the blanks with that, Google caches, and the Way Back Machine. The email from my host had a breakdown of 50-60 pages that were affected and deleted as a result, many of which were just files not open to the public, so I could probably get it all patched up easily. However... my host admitted that there could be others that have not yet been "quarantined," and they didn't have any details on what exactly afflicted these files. Since there's a chance that other files could have something going on with them that my host hasn't caught themselves, it may be a safer bet to scrap everything. I haven't yet, but I've redirected all of my domain pointers so no one can access these files anymore, so you all should be OK.

It's all actually quite comical, in my opinion. The depth of the coverage I was giving the comic became monumental over time, far more than I could keep up with... as evidenced by the fact I was probably a good 6+ months behind on updating the thing. The last news post was the revelation that Sonic Boom and X would be involved in Worlds Unite, posted in December 2014. (Talk about old news!) Just last night, I started mapping out plans to get the site updated and possibly completely revamped... and then I wake up to an email about the hack.

I'm still thinking about what to do, but I'm mostly leaning toward starting completely over... as in, new design and a different level of coverage. In other words, still doing wiki-like pages for each issue and TPB and character and what-not, but dialing it back so I'm not doing an entire recap of the character's every single move or describing practically every panel in each issue. There's power in brevity.

With that said, I'm entertaining the idea of enlisting some help with writing for the site, in particular... things like issue summaries and character bios. I'll admit that I'm wary of doing so because I've had mostly bad experiences with "co-managing" websites in the past, so I'm still not positive I'll go that route. But I'd also like Mega Man Monthly to actually keep existing and that may mean sharing some of the work. So... if you're interested (in what I've clearly painted as an enticing, not-at-all indecisive proposal)... shoot me an email or PM me!
Mega Man Monthly
BumbleCitizen

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Mon May 25, 2015 3:10 pm

Glad to hear you're pretty good on all the info. Your site was great in finding comic-only characters, so if there's one thing to keep, I guess that'd be it!

It's annoying when files get corrupted by wayward code. I've dealt with that annoyance myself. But it was just template files and I had those on-hand. If you know exactly what code you're looking for it's a simple find and replace job in your database. Scrapping everything and staring from scratch seems like a LOT of work and tedious to boot.
Gauntlet101010
BumbleFan

Postby nobody231 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:29 pm

Mega Man Monthly wrote:Oh, wow. I really appreciate the kind words from all!

I'm not particularly sure how this happened, but it's probably my own fault. My passwords were probably not as strong as they should have been, and I used a lot of plugins (like WordPress and ZenPhoto) that were likely way behind on updates. I have changed all of my site-related passwords to something convoluted and difficult to remember (so I guess it's time to start utilizing sticky-notes to remember them).

I have a relatively outdated backup of the site from February 2014, so I could probably fill in the blanks with that, Google caches, and the Way Back Machine. The email from my host had a breakdown of 50-60 pages that were affected and deleted as a result, many of which were just files not open to the public, so I could probably get it all patched up easily. However... my host admitted that there could be others that have not yet been "quarantined," and they didn't have any details on what exactly afflicted these files. Since there's a chance that other files could have something going on with them that my host hasn't caught themselves, it may be a safer bet to scrap everything. I haven't yet, but I've redirected all of my domain pointers so no one can access these files anymore, so you all should be OK.

It's all actually quite comical, in my opinion. The depth of the coverage I was giving the comic became monumental over time, far more than I could keep up with... as evidenced by the fact I was probably a good 6+ months behind on updating the thing. The last news post was the revelation that Sonic Boom and X would be involved in Worlds Unite, posted in December 2014. (Talk about old news!) Just last night, I started mapping out plans to get the site updated and possibly completely revamped... and then I wake up to an email about the hack.

I'm still thinking about what to do, but I'm mostly leaning toward starting completely over... as in, new design and a different level of coverage. In other words, still doing wiki-like pages for each issue and TPB and character and what-not, but dialing it back so I'm not doing an entire recap of the character's every single move or describing practically every panel in each issue. There's power in brevity.

With that said, I'm entertaining the idea of enlisting some help with writing for the site, in particular... things like issue summaries and character bios. I'll admit that I'm wary of doing so because I've had mostly bad experiences with "co-managing" websites in the past, so I'm still not positive I'll go that route. But I'd also like Mega Man Monthly to actually keep existing and that may mean sharing some of the work. So... if you're interested (in what I've clearly painted as an enticing, not-at-all indecisive proposal)... shoot me an email or PM me!

That would be easy for character bios! I'll PM you.
nobody231
BumbleNewbie

Postby diamonddeath » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:27 pm

Mega Man Monthly wrote:I'll admit that I'm wary of doing so because I've had mostly bad experiences with "co-managing" websites in the past, so I'm still not positive I'll go that route.

I keep saying I want to help, and it seems I'm not the only one. Mega Man Monthly quickly became THE go-to source for the Mega Man comic. Since it's your site, I think co-managing is actually an exaggeration. You should treat it like you're the only one managing it, but people need to post things through you, or perhaps people can post things, but you would have more power on the site like a member and administrator relationship. This way it's still only your site, but some select people can help update things while having little power.
diamonddeath
BumbleNoble

Return to For Everlasting Peace!