MS Paint Masterpieces is updating again.

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

MS Paint Masterpieces is updating again.

Postby Pi.exe » Mon May 25, 2015 3:48 am

A lot of megafans probably hung out on bob and george back in the day. If so, you'll remember MS Paint Masterpieces, which was by far the best megaman sprite comic. The author's computer died over a year ago, taking all his custom spritesheets with it, but it seems he's finally managed to put them back together, and has started regular updates again!

Overall, the characterization is quite-well done, with even minor robots like cut man getting a chance to shine, and you can definitely see the spritework improve as the comic progresses - while the first few dozen don't even have backgrounds. Compare one of the first comics
with one of the latest
Image.

I personally really like the 'Greatest Killer' side story, which is roughly based off megaman PC and Wonderswan. I think Flynn said the higher ups wanted him to avoid those particular games, so it's nice to see someone else has handled them well.

This is more of a PG (edging into PG-13) in comparison to archie megaman's G, but there's nothing particularly excessive.

So, what do you guys think about it? Are there any other spritecomics you like?
Pi.exe
BumbleNewbie

Re: MS Paint Masterpieces is updating again.

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Mon May 25, 2015 10:50 am

So, can you tell us anything more about this comics? Is it more of a parody or action? What's the basic premise, is Megaman the main hero or this gray dude? Can you compare it to anything (say 8-bit theather or Kid Radd). Maybe throw link or two to the funniest moments (if this suppose to be funny).
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby Penguin God » Mon May 25, 2015 1:25 pm

Man I used to like MS Paint Masterpieces but at some point it got really confusing. The constant hiatuses didn't help in forgetting what was going on.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Oakie620 » Mon May 25, 2015 9:40 pm

MetalSkulkBane wrote:So, can you tell us anything more about this comics? Is it more of a parody or action? What's the basic premise, is Megaman the main hero or this gray dude? Can you compare it to anything (say 8-bit theather or Kid Radd). Maybe throw link or two to the funniest moments (if this suppose to be funny).

MS Paint Masterpieces is a retelling of the classic series from the beginning. The comic started out in a silly tone (which the author called "ferret vision" and shouldn't be taken at face value), but it gradually became more serious and dramatic over time (although DisgruntledFerret's quirky sense of humor still comes up from time to time).

The gray robot eventually becomes Reset Man, a prototype robot and one of the comic's signature characters. He is basically a butt monkey with an ongoing subplot seemingly related to the Stardroids (it's a "wait and see" thing). But Mega Man remains the main hero.

The comic has recently began its adaptation of Mega Man 3, so it's a good time to jump in. Ferret's take on the original storyline is rather unique and can be pretty wild at times (such as his version of Quint), making it a fun read. His artistic skill also evolved to the point nearly every sprite is customized, giving the comic a charm of its own.
Oakie620
BumbleFan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Tue May 26, 2015 4:43 am

Wow, Bob & George... now there was a thing.

Drove me crazy when people tried citing stuff from it as canon.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Tue May 26, 2015 5:31 am

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Drove me crazy when people tried citing stuff from it as canon.

For strange reasons that info caught my interest. I'll give it a shoot. :)
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby Astrobot7000 » Tue May 26, 2015 7:51 am

Jailhouse Blues was where it was at! Too bad the author vanished and never completed it. MS Paint Masterpieces was always excellent as well. The whole Reset Man thing started to bug me after a while because his side story moved so slow. But it was indeed a great great. Ahh Bob and George, I miss those days. I still enjoy its Mega Man 5 parody as one of its best story lines.
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby Sockie » Tue May 26, 2015 11:46 am

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Wow, Bob & George... now there was a thing.

Drove me crazy when people tried citing stuff from it as canon.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

The Cataclysm is a totally real thing in Mega Man canon!
Sockie
BumbleNoble

Postby Pi.exe » Wed May 27, 2015 1:55 am

Yeah, I should have mentioned that the first bit isn't that good. You can't exactly skip it, but you should do what the comic does and pretend it was better written than it was ;)

The Cataclysm is a totally real thing in Mega Man canon!

If the wonderswan game is canon, it totally is, and we know who's to blame. :p

Then again, megaman is a simmering stew of quasi-canon. Like, you know how Wily and Light worked together on the first six robot masters? Yeah, that was made up by the English translators of MM1.
Pi.exe
BumbleNewbie

Postby Archdeco » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:50 pm

I have a certain love for this series. It's sometimes written eccentrically, like it's been put through a translator. But man, it's set my expectations for Quint unreasonably high for the Archie comic.
Archdeco
BumbleFan

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:30 pm

I just finished first story arc (325 strips) and I'm not really all that impressed.
Story is just Megaman1+ Enker, with addition of pointless USA army and this Reset Man fellow, so nothing special. No interesting personalities, moral dilemmas or anything like that. Biggest focus is simply on comedy, but it isn't all that good. Only thing I call honestly praise are some neat sprites. Who would expect good action scenes from a sprite comics?

Last chapter actually did made me curios about next story, but I'm not sure if 325 strips isn't enough of a chance. Can fans of this comics tell me whenever second story arc is better then first or should I just accept that MS Paint Master Pieces just isn't for me?
I mean, I know that most web comics need time to 'grow beard', but over 300 strips?
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby lalalei2001 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:25 pm

The second story arc is HUGE. It's got a TON of crazy stuff going on, and the sprites are really good.

The endgame got rewritten abruptly about 5/6ths of the way through due to the author's computer dying, but it manages to pull off a really good climax.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Pi.exe » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:41 am

Arc 2 is a lot better than arc 1, but it's also a lot longer. I'd say continue until Greatest Killer is done (it starts partway through arc 2), and if you don't like it then you can definitely say you've given the comic a fair shake.
Pi.exe
BumbleNewbie

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:23 am

Ok, I finished "Greates Killer" and I must admit that comic does improve. it tries to make it's own story, touch a little on moral dillemas of robotos, graphics become way better adn most importantly it doesn't focus on comedy anymore. Except for fillers, they're still weak. I mostly skip them.
The only problem is that sometimes have hard time telling what's going on or forget who's that chracter (8 bit graphics don't help). Add whatever the heck is going on with Reset Man and I get confused at times. (Also, I'm tired of how slow Reset Man's story goes).
Still, I can recommend it for Megaman fans. I will read it whole.
EDIT: Also, can someone tell me why Elec Man is Electric Man and Quint is Quintet? Those are weird little changes.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby Pi.exe » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:55 pm

MetalSkulkBane wrote:EDIT: Also, can someone tell me why Elec Man is Electric Man

Based on the presence of Enker, I think it's a bit of a reference to gameboy megaman 1, where they called him 'electric man' instead of 'elec man'.

Quintet is I think a bit of a stealth pun, since he's got the V Parts & Harmony.
Pi.exe
BumbleNewbie

Next

Return to For Everlasting Peace!