All about dat Bass

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: All about dat Bass

Postby Mordum » Sun May 17, 2015 11:03 pm

Partywagon wrote: Also, I grew up with Battle Network and he's legit the coolest in that series.

The version of him I'm most familiar with is from NT Warrior, and I liked that he was just some dude in a stereotypical bad@#$ cloak doing internet shenanigans.

Also something about Pharaohman.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby Astrobot7000 » Mon May 18, 2015 8:21 am

Bass is a boring and shallow character. I know he's popular, but I can't understand why. He has no character traits outside of his rivalry with Mega Man. I think one thing that could make him an interesting character is if his relationship with Dr. Wily is expanded upon. Bass is a robot who hates his own creator. He contantly rebells, disobeys, and even insults Wily. Yet, he still save him all the time. It has to be more than that he is simply programmed to save his creator. If that were true, all of his other programming wouldn't be rebelling either. So at some level he must have some sort of respect for Wily. I think it could be expanded upon to make Bass more interesting.
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby SonicSoul » Mon May 18, 2015 8:45 am

Well he did fill a void that Proto Man left when he no longer became a rival. That's one reason I can think of why he's maybe a fan-favorite. Though I've come to conclude my appeal for him stems from being someone who can be both a credible threat for Mega Man and a egotistical jerk that can lend to be made fun of for being said jerk from time to time.

I also think his inability to go beyond his programming of "destroy Mega Man" might be an interesting angle to go for as well. If it isn't him willing to concede to Proto Man's words that he has nothing to fight for lends to his stubbornness, then the idea that his sworn enemy wasn't 'born' as a combat robot like himself but instead was just a helper robot who chose to become someone he wasn't initially created to do seems so foreign to him to understand that there should be more to what a robot is aside from what he/she was made to do.
Last edited by SonicSoul on Mon May 18, 2015 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby Partywagon » Mon May 18, 2015 9:19 am

I feel like we're forgetting that pretty much the only "fleshed out" character in Classic was Protoman, and even then his shoehorned dialouge in Powered Up kinda trampled on that for me. Literally everyone was the basic shell of a character, therefore shallow and kinda meh. The games never focused on story, so nobody needed anything more than the suggestion of character, which is what they had. 25 years of add-ons and adaptations are what really gave the characters personality.

But my main thing with Bass is that he's got a one-track...life. Someone said something similar to this but,taking him off that track and exploring the relationships he forms both on and off it would be really interesting. Just seeing how he deals with things outside his main purpose in life could be either really funny or pretty depressing.
Partywagon
BumbleNewbie

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Mon May 18, 2015 10:12 am

Maybe if Bass didn't have any dialogue, like the majority of Classic characters, I wouldn't think he was too cliché. It would just be left to the imagination. Also, after I was exposed to so much anime I immediately saw what they were doing. A character isn't very fun when you see the trick behind it.

Well, in different situations where he isn't "fight fight fight" I may like him better.
Gauntlet101010
BumbleFan

Postby SonicSoul » Mon May 18, 2015 12:06 pm

Basically he plays his archetype so straight, it's borderline parody. Maybe, I dunno.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby Mordum » Mon May 18, 2015 5:17 pm

Gauntlet101010 wrote:Maybe if Bass didn't have any dialogue, like the majority of Classic characters, I wouldn't think he was too cliché. It would just be left to the imagination. Also, after I was exposed to so much anime I immediately saw what they were doing. A character isn't very fun when you see the trick behind it.

Well, in different situations where he isn't "fight fight fight" I may like him better.

To be completely fair, the fact that he's so limited in his dialogue and actions already makes him 200% more tolerable than any shonen rival who isn't Seto Kaiba.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby Uwaaii » Mon May 18, 2015 5:58 pm

Bass was created based on Megaman, a robot who blindly fight for justice without thinking (he only questions himself after Wily points it out in the Fighters Ending) and doesn't like Wily, so his shallow character and his rebellious attitude toward Wily is pretty reasonable.

I know the Classic series was simple because it was mainly directed toward kids and was open for interpretation so everyone can have fun and all that, but I sometimes feel most of their characters were shallow on purpose to emphasize their difference with the X series characters.
Uwaaii
BumbleFan

Postby SonicSoul » Mon May 18, 2015 6:14 pm

^Which even then the X series was nothing special since X and Zero are practically the only characters you care about whereas everybody else is/was dispensable. There is of course Alia, Signas, Douglas, and eventually Axl, but all of them sort of came later in the series to really make much impact.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby Mordum » Mon May 18, 2015 6:40 pm

Uwaaii wrote:I know the Classic series was simple because it was mainly directed toward kids and was open for interpretation so everyone can have fun and all that, but I sometimes feel most of their characters were shallow on purpose to emphasize their difference with the X series characters.

Megaman X was also a series that emphasized moral complexity but also kept rewarding you for murdering people with super cool kung fu beams.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Tue May 19, 2015 8:51 am

I don't think MM fights for justice without thinking. He chose to have Light remake him into a fighting robot; that wasn't Light's idea. In most games he has no dialogue, but we see him getting fed up in 7 and express worry in PF over his actions. A BIG difference between Classic and X is that robots don't really die in Classic. They always come back, so MM has little to be be remorseful about.

That said, yes, classic MM is pretty shallow. For some reason it doesn't bug me as much as Bass. Maybe because Bass is a little more loud about his stereotype. And X is really shallow too, but there was a whole thread on that.
Gauntlet101010
BumbleFan

Postby NxtWaltDisney » Wed May 20, 2015 8:41 pm

Bass's deign in Battle Network looks cool...That's all I got.
NxtWaltDisney
BumbleClan

Postby lalalei2001 » Fri May 22, 2015 4:59 pm

I get the feeling Bass has an inferiority complex and is in extreme denial about it. He's supposed to be the strongest around and likes saying so, but he keeps losing.

That's probably why it's hard to take him as a credible threat, even if he is tough to best in the games. I kinda hope he wins his first fight with Mega Man in the comics, if only to establish him as a proper threat. (The Stardroid Terra is the only being to canonically defeat Mega Man.)
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby SonicSoul » Fri May 22, 2015 5:16 pm

I dunno, the belief that everyone else besides you (minus Mega Man and possibly Proto Man in Bass's case) is inferior to you is defined more of having a superiority complex regardless of how many times you've been defeated. Inferiority complex is the exact opposite.

Plus, I'm not too sure if we'd even get a "Bass actually beats Mega Man!" for his actual comic debut without it rehashing the first battle with Terra.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby Partywagon » Fri May 22, 2015 9:24 pm

Maybe not for his debut, then.
Partywagon
BumbleNewbie

PreviousNext

Return to For Everlasting Peace!