Drs. Cossack & Lalinde: could they build protoreploids

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Drs. Cossack & Lalinde: could they build protoreploids

Postby akessel92 » Wed May 06, 2015 6:32 pm

After rewatching playthroughs of megaman x, I got to thinking is it possible that Cossack (and maybe Lalinde) may have built their own prototype reploids like Light and wily with X and Zero. Well I believe so. These two are on par with the level of creating robot masters.

Cossack being the creator of eight robot masters in mm4. Makes him likely in fact a few people think that the reploid Axl, may have been his creation. Mostly due to the fact that he doesn't remember who built him and also sigma in mmx8 saw him as a prototype of the new gen. Reploids with copy abilities like lumine.

As for lalind, she could potentially build one however, when at the robotics exposition she was against the idea of creating such robots that be able to break the laws of robotics. Could she have changed her mind, possibly but not certain. (Though honestly it depends if ian would have her create her own proto generation reploid). What your thoughts?
akessel92
BumbleNoble

Re: Drs. Cossack & Lalinde: could or did they build proto re

Postby Oakie620 » Wed May 06, 2015 8:19 pm

akessel92 wrote:After rewatching playthroughs of megaman x, I got to thinking is it possible that Cossack (and maybe Lalinde) may have built their own prototype reploids like Light and wily with X and Zero. Well I believe so. These two are on par with the level of creating robot masters.

Cossack being the creator of eight robot masters in mm4. Makes him likely in fact a few people think that the reploid Axl, may have been his creation. Mostly due to the fact that he doesn't remember who built him and also sigma in mmx8 saw him as a prototype of the new gen. Reploids with copy abilities like lumine.

As for lalind, she could potentially build one however, when at the robotics exposition she was against the idea of creating such robots that be able to break the laws of robotics. Could she have changed her mind, possibly but not certain. (Though honestly it depends if ian would have her create her own proto generation reploid). What your thoughts?

Although I'm of the opinion that anything is possible in fiction, I do feel this particular idea cheapens the concept.

For starters, X is a breakthrough in robotics that Dr. Light, the world's leading roboticist, dedicated his life to achieving. X's ability to mature and choose his own path in life goes beyond simply "breaking the laws of robotics", and distinguishes him from the Robot Masters that came before him. At the time of construction, X is the first and only robot of his kind.

Dr. Light also stated in his "WARNING" file that he had no one to carry on his work. This is further supported by scenes of Dr. Light building X in solitude in Day of Σ. This means any associates he would normally rely on were somehow unavailable at the time. Add in the fact that X's existence is a secret Dr. Light took to his grave, coupled with the inherent difficulty in analyzing X's design (as pointed out numerous times in the X series), and the likelihood of another "prototype Reploid" being constructed during Dr. Light's lifetime is incredibly slim. Even Zero's status as a "Reploid" is debatable in this context.

Although I'm perfectly fine with Dr. Cossack and Dr. LaLinde leaving behind some sort of legacy, I really don't think "prototype Reploids" is the way to go here.

Spoiler: show
And I subscribe to the theory that Sigma created Axl, but I digress.
Oakie620
BumbleFan

Re: Drs. Cossack & Lalinde: could they build protoreploids

Postby Uwaaii » Wed May 06, 2015 8:47 pm

Dr. Light was the “Father of robotics” who made the first robots with a soul and suffering circuit (Proto & X) and started the generation of RM and eventually reploids, and Wily was in the same level as Light who may have stolen Light's idea but created/modified tens of robot masters until he eventually made the invincible Zero and the Maverick Virus. So we have this two super geniuses making these highly-advanced humanoid robots.

Cossack, who is younger then the two, only made the RM from 4 (and Xover with the help of Light) while Lalinde…for now she only made Tempo. And RMs are pretty normal creations in the Classic series, not that special. I don’t think any scientist at that time can make any model or robots in the same level or even close to the same level as them.

Even if they can, why would they decide to make such a model? Light created X to give robots an equal opportunity and standing as humans despite all the problems he went through (like Protoman, Wily, Megaman modified to combat robot, thrown in jail,etc.), but decided it was too early for the world and sealed him away; Wily created Zero so he would never lose against Light and his creations again X included or not, so he tried to make the most advanced and most deadly robot he can ever create. So that explains why X and Zero were created and why they are so similar in their ability and such. Cossack and Lalinde doesn't have the reason to build something so controversial and identical in structure.

Another thing to think is: why should they seal away the third original model in a place that couldn't be found until X7-8? If I remember correctly all the reploid and robots in the X series were based on X; Axl and the other “new generations” may simply be advanced versions of reploids based on X made in an unknown project in an unknown laboratory at that time.

The whole series revolve around Light and Wily, so introducing a third genius and third original model is just….I'm sorry, but nah.
Uwaaii
BumbleFan

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Thu May 07, 2015 1:22 am

The answer is simple: in theory they could, but most likely it wasn't any of Reploids we seen in games. The end.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby DoNotDelete » Thu May 07, 2015 4:09 am

A thought on 'Protoreploids' and by extension 'Protoanimaloids': Is Sheep Man the only animal-based Robot Master? We have Centaur Man and Splash Woman but they're only really half-animal.
DoNotDelete
BumbleCitizen

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Thu May 07, 2015 9:00 am

X is already bland enough, taking away his status as "first among Reploids" isn't something I want to see happen.

I wouldn't be opposed to any classic-era robots making it to the X era, though. It might've been a joke, but we did get Cutman in X8 and Auto was seen in X3 as a visual cameo. I feel that, overall, the X series could have benefited with some sense of legacy applied to their world and not just limited to Zero.
Gauntlet101010
BumbleFan

Postby Sunwalker » Thu May 07, 2015 6:58 pm

Possible fan-idea, spoilering just to be on the safe side.
Maybe the time travel elements of Xover might have altered the future and given to other doctors the technology for creating reploids.

I also remember Sigma mentioning on MMX4 that he had met Zero's father (clearly Dr. Wily, thought his identity is never directly stated). On Xover, Sigma does meet Dr. Wily. Considering that the X timeline is at least a century after Classic, it is unlikely that this meeting happened on the present of the X series (I remember about a Capcom Unity interview in which Keiji Inafune states that Wily died in the interim between Classic and X)

Then I guess that this meeting between the two is what happened during the Xover events.
Sunwalker
BumbleHonored

Postby Ian Flynn » Thu May 07, 2015 8:06 pm

DoNotDelete wrote:A thought on 'Protoreploids' and by extension 'Protoanimaloids': Is Sheep Man the only animal-based Robot Master? We have Centaur Man and Splash Woman but they're only really half-animal.

Toad Man and Tengu Man are kinda on the fence, going off the top of my head.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Thu May 07, 2015 8:18 pm

Sunwalker wrote:Possible fan-idea, spoilering just to be on the safe side.
Maybe the time travel elements of Xover might have altered the future and given to other doctors the technology for creating reploids.

I also remember Sigma mentioning on MMX4 that he had met Zero's father (clearly Dr. Wily, thought his identity is never directly stated). On Xover, Sigma does meet Dr. Wily. Considering that the X timeline is at least a century after Classic, it is unlikely that this meeting happened on the present of the X series (I remember about a Capcom Unity interview in which Keiji Inafune states that Wily died in the interim between Classic and X)

Then I guess that this meeting between the two is what happened during the Xover events.

No posting fan ideas? I was looking in the rules, but there's nothing like that there.

Anyhow, source materials imply Serges is Wily and I *think* X6 also implies Issoc was Wily as well. And in that very interview Inafune says Wily was brought back by a virus. No need for time travel.

You COULD, somehow, allow Cossack to make a Reploid through time travel, but ... why? It sounds like a fan fiction sort of idea.
Gauntlet101010
BumbleFan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Thu May 07, 2015 11:45 pm

Gauntlet101010 wrote:

No posting fan ideas? I was looking in the rules, but there's nothing like that there.

Anyhow, source materials imply Serges is Wily and I *think* X6 also implies Issoc was Wily as well. And in that very interview Inafune says Wily was brought back by a virus. No need for time travel.

You COULD, somehow, allow Cossack to make a Reploid through time travel, but ... why? It sounds like a fan fiction sort of idea.

Or at least it would, had they not already made something of an official version.

Xover, like it or not, kind of turns some things on its head-- Cossack literally seeing the future being among them.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Fri May 08, 2015 11:28 am

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:
Gauntlet101010 wrote:

Or at least it would, had they not already made something of an official version.

Xover, like it or not, kind of turns some things on its head-- Cossack literally seeing the future being among them.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

(quickly looks up Over-1) oh yeah, he's called a Reploid there, isn't he? Never paid too much attention to Xover after I decided it wasn't really worth much.

Gotta ask yourself how that could possibly be. They don't specify WHICH Light he teamed up, do they? Because if it's the Light hologram then it's possible for Cossack to contribute to Over-1 without him usurping Light's place as the father of Reploid Technology.
Gauntlet101010
BumbleFan

Postby Uwaaii » Fri May 08, 2015 1:12 pm

What’s annoying about Xover is that originally the answer would have and should have been NO but now people can say “Oh but we have Xover, this is canon so it’s possible!”

I mean the official website says Xover takes place in "a world where all the other Megaman World is crossed over, making it a different/alternate universe. Capcom released Xover as a simple online party game that had all the characters in there as fan service and such, not a game that was connected to the storyline of the main MM series somehow.

And although it says OVER-1 is a reploid with "infinite possibilities" because he can collect and power himself up with the battle memories, he's just an upgraded version of Megaman/downgraded version of X. It doesn't say anything about how he thinks or feels, which is the most important part of being a reploid (having capability to think like a human). And Cossack was able to make the reploids, which is a degraded copy version of X, because he worked with Light. He is not a super genius like Light or Wily; he alone will only be able to make something either in the same level or lower than that.

So yeah you can make theorize that Cossack gained the ability to make reploids when he tagged with Light there, but you have to keep those things in mind.
Uwaaii
BumbleFan

Postby El Veinte » Sat May 09, 2015 5:09 am

Xover is a disappointing mobile game to cash in on nostalgia, but it was made by people who grew up with Rockman and loved it and joined Capcom in part to work on the franchise, and generally tried to do their best with what they were allowed to do. I gotta give some of the creative people credit for at least trying to take some lore aspects seriously.

Cossack sees the future, but he also disappeared before the game begins and by the "end" he is never explicitly recovered. It's an odd sad fate, but it mirrors the unexplained purgatory that the games beyond 5 left him in, and it can explain why Light was never able to enlist his aid with his X project.

It's probably not really important whether one chooses to view Xover as canonically relevant, because it doesn't change any of the rest of the series either way.
El Veinte
BumbleFan

Postby Tonberry2k » Sun May 10, 2015 9:51 am

Ian Flynn wrote:
DoNotDelete wrote:A thought on 'Protoreploids' and by extension 'Protoanimaloids': Is Sheep Man the only animal-based Robot Master? We have Centaur Man and Splash Woman but they're only really half-animal.

Toad Man and Tengu Man are kinda on the fence, going off the top of my head.

Snake Man?
Tonberry2k
BumbleNoble

Postby Damo » Sun May 10, 2015 12:41 pm

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:
Gauntlet101010 wrote:

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Darn, you beat me to mentioning Xover.

Of course this is a kinda a trick question because the line between Robot Masters and X is so vague. Sure Rock, Blues, Bass, King, Tempo, and Pharaoh Man all do things that look pretty darn human, and even a couple things that sorta resemble exercises of free will... but X's Free Will is... well, it's just Free Willier, okay?

We can't estimate how close Cossack and Lalinde's work is to X because it's just not that clear.
Damo
BumbleKnight

Next

Return to For Everlasting Peace!