Fire Man: Left out in the cold?

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Fire Man: Left out in the cold?

Postby FoxsDumbSeriesMaker » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:16 pm

I honestly wouldn't mind him showing up more. If anything, he at least got a really cool variant cover.
FoxsDumbSeriesMaker
BumbleCitizen

Postby Spectre the Hechidnat » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:45 am

It's kind of cool that this is actually being discussed; it's hard to find a thread topic that keeps people talking. I actually have thought about this a bit more since posting, and a couple of things did occur to me:

*A fire-based Robot Master that is on fire ALL THE TIME probably is a bit hard to have around; unless you actually need something lit on fire he's a bit of a hazard. I am a bit bummed that he didn't join the team investigating Wily's old lab in Dawn of X; he could definitely be a useful ally. I didn't know that he was a waste disposal guy, so that makes more sense as to why he's been less prominent.
*While he hasn't had much chance to shine in the comic so far, the fact of the matter is that this comic is still pretty new-we're still a couple months away from issue 50. I imagine that as time goes on we'll see more of the Southern Spitfire.
Spectre the Hechidnat
BumbleNoble

Postby Illustrious Q » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:19 am

I really wouldn't call the book new anymore. It was new for the first 12 issues, but after that, not so much.

After all, one just has to look at the number of books that never make it past issue 12. Any book that hits issue 25 is a success, any book that hits issue 50 is a mega success and has also been around for 4 years and 2 months.

Now, when compared to STH and how it's been around for over 20 years, yes Mega man is still new. Compared to the rest of the comic market though, and it's actually an old book.
Illustrious Q
BumbleCult

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:32 pm

SonicBlueRanger wrote:Honestly I can't think of anything interesting that could be done with Fire Man. There's tons of other Fire based Robot Masters that are like a billion times more interesting.

Fire Man's just kind of a walking flame thrower. With a Southern Accent. Y'all.

...and you think Ian couldn't work well with that? ;P

Anyway, my opinion is to just give it time. Maybe Ian will adapt Dr. Wily's Revenge, giving him some more face time.

And really, with no foreseeable new entries added to the game series, well, should the comic go on for so long, there may be even more opportunities.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Astrobot7000 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:44 am

SonicSoul wrote:I believe maybe a reason why he's had the least prominence of the Robot Masters so far is because his duty as a waste incinerator offers little in terms of story or set-up for a story. At least with Ice Man in #22, his task featured going to a different location and showing what he does to make a good set-up for an issue. I can't really see an intriguing premise for the Robot Master who does nothing but burn trash as his job unless it's somewhere outside his usual environment.

I don't think I agree with this. We have yet to see an issue focusing on Cut Man cutting down trees or Bomb Man using his demolitions to clear construction debris, etc. In fact, we rarely see the Robot Masters working in their intended functions with Ice Man and Guts Man being exceptions. It hasn't stopped them from going on adventures yet. Why should Fire Man be any different?
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby SonicSoul » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:50 am

That's not to say I wouldn't want him around in more arcs, quite the opposite. It'd be great to have him around more. Maybe I was just thinking more of what he can do or contribute to a story besides using his fire power for a fight scene when I said that and associated him more of what his duty is rather him being a combat robot.

Basically it's kind of difficult to think of what else Fire Man can be useful for besides his waste disposal job and being a your around-average combat robot.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby lalalei2001 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:09 pm

Well, there is his lack of a mouth...
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Penguin God » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:14 pm

Well, if there's nothing against him showing up, let's hope he does get to do something next time the G1 Robot masters are used. Everybody else has gotten a turn, so why not? I should note, I'm not saying that just as some equality quota: it's a constant in Mega Man that Guts Man, Cut Man and Elec Man are the big stars of MM1, and that's fine. They're very dynamic characters. But it would be nice to know whether Fire Man's worth the attention or not before he gets dismissed.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Spectre the Hechidnat » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:25 pm

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:
SonicBlueRanger wrote:Honestly I can't think of anything interesting that could be done with Fire Man. There's tons of other Fire based Robot Masters that are like a billion times more interesting.

Fire Man's just kind of a walking flame thrower. With a Southern Accent. Y'all.

...and you think Ian couldn't work well with that? ;P

Anyway, my opinion is to just give it time. Maybe Ian will adapt Dr. Wily's Revenge, giving him some more face time.

And really, with no foreseeable new entries added to the game series, well, should the comic go on for so long, there may be even more opportunities.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Your thoughts have touched on an interesting subject, Nytetrayn: the Mega Man Gameboy Games. Having looked into them, I wonder how Ian may plan on tackling them-mainly the first four. Given that they revolve around Mega Man facing eight Robot Masters made up of four from two different NES games, it would probably be pretty difficult to do storywise. However, I imagine he'll want to do something because he obviously wants to get Quint and the Mega Man Killers in on the action.
Spectre the Hechidnat
BumbleNoble

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:06 am

Spectre the Hechidnat wrote:Given that they revolve around Mega Man facing eight Robot Masters made up of four from two different NES games, it would probably be pretty difficult to do storywise.

Probably not, were I to guess. If anything, that can be the fun part-- why those particular Robot Masters for this mission?

Or just handwave it away and focus on the Mega Man Killers.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Astrobot7000 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:56 am

Penguin God wrote:Well, if there's nothing against him showing up, let's hope he does get to do something next time the G1 Robot masters are used. Everybody else has gotten a turn, so why not? I should note, I'm not saying that just as some equality quota: it's a constant in Mega Man that Guts Man, Cut Man and Elec Man are the big stars of MM1, and that's fine. They're very dynamic characters. But it would be nice to know whether Fire Man's worth the attention or not before he gets dismissed.

I totally agree. Fire Man will never burn brighter than Elec Man, Cut Man, or Guts Man, but he should get to do something at least once. Heck, even Oil Man got a team-up issue with Splash Woman, and they have been used much less in the fandom (although that might be due to their relatively new introduction).
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby FeroMcPigletron » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:04 am

Fire Man should actually have been used much, much earlier (instead of that double Guts Man story). The longer the series goes, the more Robot Master crowd the show or management mandated story lines get added. He was canonically in the Ra Moon game so him not being included was a shame.

If the open flame is a problem, he canonically gets it extinguished in the Powered Up game (right? I never played it but I heard that was the case).

Keep the light on for Fire Man!
FeroMcPigletron
BumbleFan

Postby EvilEddie » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:49 pm

Yes if you enter water as Fire Man he loses his fire and his ability to shoot fire and instead only keeps the little ring around him when he attacks.

Which makes CWU-01P a pain.
EvilEddie
BumbleFan

Postby FeroMcPigletron » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:00 am

Since I never played Powered Up, I forget but when you play Robot Masters, you can't pick up their weapons?!?

How the @#$% can you beat the Yellow Devil without Elec Beam? Or use the bridge maker? Or freeze the fire into steps to cross? Or defeat the other bosses without their weaknesses?
FeroMcPigletron
BumbleFan

Postby N'egga Man » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:52 pm

FeroMcPigletron wrote:Since I never played Powered Up, I forget but when you play Robot Masters, you can't pick up their weapons?!?

How the @#$% can you beat the Yellow Devil without Elec Beam? Or use the bridge maker? Or freeze the fire into steps to cross? Or defeat the other bosses without their weaknesses?

That's all part of the challenge when playing as them; they don't get the same abilities as Mega Man, which makes them more unique, but they also have their weaknesses. For instance, with Fire Man, some Robot Masters are easy enough to defeat (especially Oil Man), while others can be VERY difficult to beat (such as Ice Man and the afformentioned 'CWU-01P'). I liked playing as the Robot Masters, but those downfalls can be a major pain in the backside, especially on Hard Mode.
N'egga Man
BumbleFan

PreviousNext

Return to For Everlasting Peace!