Fire Man: Left out in the cold?

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Fire Man: Left out in the cold?

Postby Spectre the Hechidnat » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:06 pm

Been doing a lot of editing on the Archie Mega Man content for the Mega Man Knowledgebase Wiki lately, and I noticed something kind of odd. Of all the eight Robot Master bosses from the original Mega Man and Mega Man Powered Up, the comic seems to have had the least love for Fire Man so far. So far as I can find, the poor guy has never shown up separate from the original six Robot Masters, and as far as I'm aware he hasn't even been given an assignment in some far off corner of the globe like Ice Man to explain why. Guts Man, Ice Man, Elec Man, Oil Man, and even Time Man have shown up in stories without the other Robot Masters, and of course Guts Man played the three stooges with Cut Man and Bomb Man all through Breaking Point and the Curse of Ra Moon-but what about Fire Man?

Anyway, I just wondered if anybody else had observed this and wondered about it. Honestly, Fire Man is probably my favorite of the original six boss Robot Masters, so it's a bit of a bummer to see him left out. I also had a couple of other thoughts:

*I think there may have been a thread on this previously, but is anyone else wondering if Proto Man will ever be reconciled to Dr. Light?
Spoiler: show
*Does anyone else hope that when Mega Man copies Magnet Man's weapon for the first time, Magnet Man will respond by yelling "He's taking my power!"?
Spectre the Hechidnat
BumbleNoble

Re: Fire Man: Left out in the cold?

Postby Sunwalker » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:14 pm

It probably isn't intentional. With 80 robot masters on the main games it is not possible to feature them all every issue.
Sunwalker
BumbleHonored

Postby lalalei2001 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:50 pm

Fire Man's been the least featured RM in a lot of series; he didn't get in either of the Power Battles/Fighters games, and... stuff.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Mavrickindigo » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:06 am

I remember hearing that Ian had plans for Fire Man, but that scene was cut in favor of something else.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Astrobot7000 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:21 am

I've thought about this too, many times. Fire Man has had what, maybe three lines total? He hasn't done anything cool, and had the LAMEST defeat by Mega Man. Really, he needs some time to shine, and soon!
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:57 am

Honestly I can't think of anything interesting that could be done with Fire Man. There's tons of other Fire based Robot Masters that are like a billion times more interesting.

Fire Man's just kind of a walking flame thrower. With a Southern Accent. Y'all.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Astrobot7000 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:15 pm

The same can be said about any of the Robot Masters. Elec Man is just as easily replaced by Spark Man, for example. Ian could easily make Fire Man the most interesting character in the entire series, as could he do with pretty much any character he chose. But it's never going to happen if the poor guy doesn't even get to appear.
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby ShadowBat20 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:51 pm

Astrobot7000 wrote:The same can be said about any of the Robot Masters. Elec Man is just as easily replaced by Spark Man, for example. Ian could easily make Fire Man the most interesting character in the entire series, as could he do with pretty much any character he chose. But it's never going to happen if the poor guy doesn't even get to appear.

This.
ShadowBat20
BumbleClan

Postby SonicSoul » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:04 pm

I believe maybe a reason why he's had the least prominence of the Robot Masters so far is because his duty as a waste incinerator offers little in terms of story or set-up for a story. At least with Ice Man in #22, his task featured going to a different location and showing what he does to make a good set-up for an issue. I can't really see an intriguing premise for the Robot Master who does nothing but burn trash as his job unless it's somewhere outside his usual environment.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby Spin » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:19 pm

He'll have to change his name from Fire Man to Fired Man at this rate.

Astrobot7000 wrote:Elec Man is just as easily replaced by Spark Man, for example.

Not the best example. Don't know anyone who prefers Spark Man over Elec Man.
Spin
BumbleClan

Postby Astrobot7000 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:01 pm

Spin wrote:He'll have to change his name from Fire Man to Fired Man at this rate.

Astrobot7000 wrote:Elec Man is just as easily replaced by Spark Man, for example.

Not the best example. Don't know anyone who prefers Spark Man over Elec Man.

Me, for one. But regardless of whether it is a good example or not, the point remains.
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby Zan » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:06 pm

I believe maybe a reason why he's had the least prominence of the Robot Masters so far is because his duty as a waste incinerator offers little in terms of story or set-up for a story. At least with Ice Man in #22, his task featured going to a different location and showing what he does to make a good set-up for an issue. I can't really see an intriguing premise for the Robot Master who does nothing but burn trash as his job unless it's somewhere outside his usual environment.

If some of that waste includes robot parts, that of itself would be an interesting premise. This is especially true once we get closer to R9.
Zan
BumbleFan

Postby SonicSoul » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:32 pm

Zan wrote:

If some of that waste includes robot parts, that of itself would be an interesting premise. This is especially true once we get closer to R9.

Or just potential for Junk Man.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby Bean » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:42 pm

SonicBlueRanger wrote:Fire Man's just kind of a walking flame thrower. With a Southern Accent. Y'all.

"Has it finally happened?! A copy of me has appeared... so that means I'm a real HERO!!"

He has potential with his heroic delusions of grandeur and all for a silly story if we ever get anything like was done in #17 & #18 again.
Bean
BumbleCitizen

Postby LilacDownDeep » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:16 pm

Fire Man just... doesn't have the hots for this comic! He can't melt our hearts with his endearing personality! He... er... yeah, uh... okay...

The pungeon master should be left to Cut Man I guess...

(Funny thing is Fire Man got even less screen time in the Ruby Spears cartoon so I'd say he's still faring better.)
LilacDownDeep
BumbleNoble

Next

Return to For Everlasting Peace!