Mega Man #33 preview

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Mega Man #33 preview

Postby ClareSilver47 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:42 pm

So I'm guessing the delay is due to the need of a new artist because the other artist was slow or something?

Though I'll admit that I've been impressed with the series considering that it's labeled a kid's series
ClareSilver47
BumbleNoble

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:43 am

ClareSilver47 wrote:So I'm guessing the delay is due to the need of a new artist because the other artist was slow or something?

Or because the Holiday's just ended.

Though I'll admit that I've been impressed with the series considering that it's labeled a kid's series

That's...oddly insulting. I mean are you implying just because this Comics aimed at Kids yoyu weren't expecting it to have any Quality?
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby SonicSoul » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:55 am

Wait till' we get the X series......

But seriously, if we can believe some serious stuff can happen in a comic about a superfast blue hedgehog, then it's plausible that a comic about a blue robot boy can too that doesn't involve anything from it's much heavy-handed sequel series.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby ClareSilver47 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:25 pm

Let me just clarify my post, do you know how unbelievably dumb and pointless many other comic series aimed at kids are?

Most of them are just based on shows and then we have Mega Man which has a freaking plot that's competent
ClareSilver47
BumbleNoble

Postby SonicSoul » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:52 pm

Apologies for unintentional rudeness then.

I just a tad peeved whenever I hear something to that "it's for kids!" effect, and find that it shouldn't be used as a justification for something being bad or poorly done regardless of what media it is.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby Antiyonder » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:56 pm

ClareSilver47 wrote:Let me just clarify my post, do you know how unbelievably dumb and pointless many other comic series aimed at kids are?

Sure, but can you honestly say that all comics centered towards adults are intelligent & mature?
Antiyonder
BumbleCitizen

Postby ClareSilver47 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:19 pm

Well not to sound defensive or anything, I'm just going to admit that I'm sort of annoyed that the local Barnes and Nobles places the Sonic and Mega Man comics in the kids reading section and not with the graphic novel section...

It took me a year to find the Sonic Encyclopedia because it never occurred to me that they would put them there

And yes, I'm aware that there are many grown men who buy the MLP comic for their collection, and that Scott Pilgrim is supposed to be popular or something. I read mostly comics with characters whose personality clashes with itself and those tend to be more dark so I sometimes don't notice everything.
ClareSilver47
BumbleNoble

Postby Cookie » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:09 pm

POWREE's art looks great in the preview, can't wait to see more of her work in the rest of the issue.
Cookie
BumbleNewbie

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:31 pm

ClareSilver47 wrote:Let me just clarify my post, do you know how unbelievably dumb and pointless many other comic series aimed at kids are?

Well the Adventure Time Comic is as funny as the show and does multi-issue arcs. I've heard good things about the MLP comics and I hear the New animated Adventures TMNT series are pretty fun Done-In-Ones (Heh that was fun to say)...well honestly I've heard nothing about the Regular Show Comics. Like at all.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby The KKM » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:47 pm

ClareSilver47 wrote:Well not to sound defensive or anything, I'm just going to admit that I'm sort of annoyed that the local Barnes and Nobles places the Sonic and Mega Man comics in the kids reading section and not with the graphic novel section...

It took me a year to find the Sonic Encyclopedia because it never occurred to me that they would put them there

And yes, I'm aware that there are many grown men who buy the MLP comic for their collection, and that Scott Pilgrim is supposed to be popular or something. I read mostly comics with characters whose personality clashes with itself and those tend to be more dark so I sometimes don't notice everything.

Did you just call the 6-volume story about a guy whose only cares in the world are his sex life, living with his drunk homossexual roommate, who decides to conquer the immigrant that came from New York by dealing with HER sex life by killing her 7 exes, a kids' comic?

Sounds to me your problem is simply that if something is not about gory mercenaries with machine guns it's immediately for kids.
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby RadRed89 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:57 pm

Yeah, no offense, but Scott Pilgrim is pretty far from kid friendly, though I can see how someone might get the impression if they only saw the art style. It is pretty deceptive.
RadRed89
BumbleNoble

Postby Mega Man Monthly » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:26 am

I'm more offended by the insinuation that Scott Pilgrim doesn't deserve its popularity.

Kids' comics – and kids' media in general – have evolved so much over the past several decades. These companies are realizing that you don't need to "dumb things down" to be successful with kids, and to do so is truly insulting to them. People making these products these days likely grew up with the same kinds of products, and I don't know about you, but when I was a kid, I wasn't drawn to things that catered to a "lesser intelligent audience." I grew up with serious and complicated plotlines with tons of action and big words in the dialogue, and I loved it. I could also tell the difference between a half-assed cartoon and something with high production quality. So, it makes sense that people producing these comics and cartoons these days would want to cater to what kid-version of themselves would have liked. And, well... it's proving wildly successful with kids and adults alike.

Also, while a lot of kids' comics these days are "just based on shows," ultimately, Sonic and Mega Man are "just based on video-games," so that doesn't mean anything. (Mega Man's plot in the games is arguably pretty thin and stale compared to most kids' cartoons. Flynn has done a lot to make it more complex and believable.) And, if you've actually read these comics that are "just based on shows," and you may be surprised to find how amazing these comics are... and to find a lot of Mega Man artists are lending their talents to them... (Ben Bates with TMNT, Chad Thomas with Adventure Time, Ryan Jampole with Dexter's Lab... to name a few.)
Mega Man Monthly
BumbleCitizen

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:36 am

megamanmonthly wrote:I'm more offended by the insinuation that Scott Pilgrim doesn't deserve its popularity.

Kids' comics – and kids' media in general – have evolved so much over the past several decades. These companies are realizing that you don't need to "dumb things down" to be successful with kids, and to do so is truly insulting to them. People making these products these days likely grew up with the same kinds of products, and I don't know about you, but when I was a kid, I wasn't drawn to things that catered to a "lesser intelligent audience." I grew up with serious and complicated plotlines with tons of action and big words in the dialogue, and I loved it. I could also tell the difference between a half-assed cartoon and something with high production quality. So, it makes sense that people producing these comics and cartoons these days would want to cater to what kid-version of themselves would have liked. And, well... it's proving wildly successful with kids and adults alike.

Also, while a lot of kids' comics these days are "just based on shows," ultimately, Sonic and Mega Man are "just based on video-games," so that doesn't mean anything. (Mega Man's plot in the games is arguably pretty thin and stale compared to most kids' cartoons. Flynn has done a lot to make it more complex and believable.) And, if you've actually read these comics that are "just based on shows," and you may be surprised to find how amazing these comics are... and to find a lot of Mega Man artists are lending their talents to them... (Ben Bates with TMNT, Chad Thomas with Adventure Time, Ryan Jampole with Dexter's Lab... to name a few.)

All of this....Wait Ryan Jampole is doing Art for a Dexter's Lab Comic? When was this announced? When is it coming out?
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby SurrealBrain » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:56 am

Ryan himself confirmed he was working on it here, but he doesn't know when it's coming out or how many issues it'll be.
SurrealBrain
BumbleClan

Postby Mega Man Monthly » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:54 pm

There are a lot more details here...
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/09/ ... tory-comic

UPDATE 01/13/14 1:06 PM EST
FYI... Archie's weekly "new releases" email blast has changed MM#33's release date from 1/9 to 1/15.
Mega Man Monthly
BumbleCitizen

PreviousNext

Return to For Everlasting Peace!