Keiji Inafune presents Mighty Number 9

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Keiji Inafune presents Mighty Number 9

Postby Damo » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:29 pm

Yeah, I can understand that impression. Here's the timeline though.

comcept finished their work on Mighty No. 9 and handed off the bug-checking to Inti Creates.
Red Ash was announced on the 4th of July.
At some point Inti found some bugs in networking but weren't sure how extensive the problem would be, and informed Deep Silver.
Deep Silver informed some retailers of a possible delay.
Around the 27th, people started telling MN9 forum mods that they'd seen rumors of a delay, and pointed to Amazon as proof.
comcept was informed and initially assumed that it was probably another error on Amazon's behalf, and figured that even if there did end up being a manufacturing issue it would still be possible to send the digital copies on time, so comcept's initial response was to say that everything was proceeding on time.
Then backers pointed out that it wasn't just Amazon reporting a delay. comcept reached out to Deep Silver, who indicated that Inti was looking into something.
By the time comcept found out that this wasn't an issue that could be resolved without a delay, it was almost time for Gamescom (which is in Germany, where Deep Silver is, so comcept was going to have face to face meetings). They opted to have the announcement there.
This was a screwup, not an intentional deception, but it definitely does drive home even harder that it was a massive mistake to announce Red Ash before MN9 was out.
Damo
BumbleKnight

Postby lalalei2001 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:54 pm

Mighty No. 9 was originally estimated for an April 2015 release, according to its Kickstarter campaign.

Back in January they said the game was done... (at 1:06 in this video) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iANf0ExRL50

And the Red Ash pitch video also said the game was done. http://abload.de/img/1438774298730tqqmz.jpg
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Damo » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:24 pm

lalalei2001 wrote:Mighty No. 9 was originally estimated for an April 2015 release, according to its Kickstarter campaign.

Back in January they said the game was done... (at 1:06 in this video) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iANf0ExRL50

And the Red Ash pitch video also said the game was done. http://abload.de/img/1438774298730tqqmz.jpg

The estimate was an estimate, and got pushed back because they got funding for additional content.

They said in January and during the pitch that the game was done because as far as they knew it was. The issue is with the internet features. The core game - all the single player platforming - is basically done done done. Nobody involved expected there to be a huge problem with the internet features that would push the release date back. It went undetected until just recently. It all amounts to a massive screwup, sure, but not an intentional deception.
Damo
BumbleKnight

Postby Bean » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:25 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if the engine also led to those complications. Inti Creates is more used to sprite-based games than doing stuff like MN9 was planned out to be, and they're not exactly the largest company to begin with either.
Bean
BumbleCitizen

Postby Damo » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:35 pm

Interview with the producer laying some things out: http://www.engadget.com/2015/08/07/migh ... -on-delay/

(There's also an article on kotaku that creatively edits some of his statements on the forums leaving out critical info to make things look worse. Pretty sneaky, kotaku, asking "why didn't you alert us sooner?" while leaving out the "why we didn't say anything sooner" part of comcept's statement)

From what I've been able to piece together, the single-player is done and debugging was wrapping up when Inti found a bug in the multiplayer. Initially it wasn't clear how bad it was. Deep Silver alerted retailers that something that been found, but didn't say "there will be a delay," that was retailers taking their own initiative (hence the dates that had nothing to do with reality). Comcept doesn't have their own QA department and has less experience with this sort of thing than Inti or Deep Silver, so they still figured that any bugs in Inti's report could be patched, which is why they felt comfortable saying things were on schedule.

When Inti did a followup report it became clear this wasn't a "quick fix" bug, which led to a new problem. The single-player part of the game is done. Finished. Finito. Good to go. The problem is in the multiplayer. So there was the option of releasing the game as single-player and then patching in a multiplayer part later. It was something the three companies needed to discuss together. That's why when news agencies started calling up comcept and Deep Silver asking if there was a delay they didn't get good answers - nobody knew whether or not there would be a delay yet.

The engadget article does a good job of laying out why in the end they decided they couldn't release multiplayer as a patch later. I'm honestly pretty blown away by just how hard and expensive it would be to do it that way. Learn something new about the industry every day, I guess.
Damo
BumbleKnight

Postby Mavrickindigo » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:59 am

So the mighty no 9. soundtrack is up on youtube

MOD EDIT: Rule 1.7
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby lalalei2001 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:03 pm

Apparently the DEMO got delayed. Though I think special backers already got it, which is how people got the soundtrack.

http://www.mightyno9.com/en/20150915
Finally, we know that all of our fans are looking forward to the Special Demo Version we are preparing, and we just ask that you be a little more patient. The team is working on it, but some issues popped up regarding the distribution method so there is a good chance it will not be ready to launch by the 15th. We are really sorry for the inconvenience.

As soon as we have more info, we will let everyone know immediately.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Dejimon11 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:10 am

Man what is going on with this game? Its amazing how a lot of people's opinion changed compared to when it first came out to now. I really do feel bad for the people who donated to this game more specifically the people who didn't donate to spite Capcom.
Dejimon11
BumbleNoble

Postby Bean » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:23 am

Definitely have to wonder what's going on. I've defended the game, and I understand delays, but the way they've gone about announcing them this year has been handled horribly to say the least. For instance, I'm also following Freedom Planet, and that one had to also be pushed back on the Wii U due to a console-freezing bug that they're currently working on. The thing is that they announced it from the start on their Twitter page and didn't try to bury it on the bottom of the page.

Really feels like they weren't ready to make this game for all the available platforms it will be on. I put the onus on the fans to buy the game earlier this summer, but it has to turn out good first, and I don't particularly care for how this situation has been handled by Comcept. Nope.
Bean
BumbleCitizen

Postby lalalei2001 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:46 pm

The demo is now up on Humble Bundle.

The full game now has a release date: Feb 9 in the US, Feb 14 anywhere else.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Mavrickindigo » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:17 pm

In my time away from the site, I got my physical rewards in a beat up US postal services box that literally was ripped open on the one side. Nothing was damage, but I didn't open my plushie or the two t-shirts. Think I might sell them so someone who might actually want to use them will have them. I didn't really plan to, but I'm actually planning on selling some duplicates of figures I ordered from the Mega Man Boardgame kickstarter. I think I have a Gold Dr. Light coming in, at least.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby FritzyBeat » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:43 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote:In my time away from the site, I got my physical rewards in a beat up US postal services box that literally was ripped open on the one side.

I dunno if the US Postal service works any differently than the Canadian one, but can't you call in somewhere, or go in to the local Post Office and submit a complaint about that?
FritzyBeat
BumbleClan

Postby Mavrickindigo » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:19 am

FritzyBeat wrote:
Mavrickindigo wrote:In my time away from the site, I got my physical rewards in a beat up US postal services box that literally was ripped open on the one side.

I dunno if the US Postal service works any differently than the Canadian one, but can't you call in somewhere, or go in to the local Post Office and submit a complaint about that?

Nah, I don't mind. It's just funny as its another bit to throw on top of the train wreck that has been Mighty No. 9 so far.

I really do need to get to selling these things, though.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby lalalei2001 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:46 pm

lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Penguin God » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:08 pm

I wonder how well it could possibly do: nearly anybody who wanted the game already backed it in the beginning. That's been something I've been curious about for Kickstarter projects. Usually a game or product funds its next venture with the profits of selling their completed project, but with a crowd-funded project all those sales already have been put into the original work.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

PreviousNext

Return to For Everlasting Peace!