The Thread of General Mega Man-Related Questions

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: The Thread of General Mega Man-Related Questions

Postby Antiyonder » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:56 pm

Do the Mega Man trades from Archie contain the Short Circuit comic strips?
Antiyonder
BumbleCitizen

Postby SurrealBrain » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:00 pm

Antiyonder wrote:Do the Mega Man trades from Archie contain the Short Circuit comic strips?

Yes they do.
SurrealBrain
BumbleClan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:19 am

Mavrickindigo wrote:
Nintenfreak wrote:So if Mega Man X stars Mega Man X, why doesn't Mega Man V star Mega Man V?

Because "Mega Man X" stars "X", not "Mega Man X" and "Mega Man V" is roman numeral five.

...his full name is Mega Man X.

But yeah, it's X the letter, not X the Roman numeral.

NiTROACTiVE wrote:
Captain Harlock wrote:It's a post-post apocalyptic scenario, also commonly found on Ghibli's works. Civilization was ultra advanced, to the point of creating a whole race of artificial humans, but then disaster struck, everything was flooded, and people had to start from near zero, which is why common technology is closer to 20th Century.

I see. But what caused the disaster and the flood?

We don't really know for sure, but signs point to it being a result of
Spoiler: show
Master Thomas of the Sage Trinity seen in Mega Man ZX Advent
somehow.

Dejimon11 wrote:
The Shadow Emperor wrote:Does Mega Man have any kind of artificial skin or is he nothing but metal?

Artificial skin

I don't think that's ever been official. I could be wrong, but I don't remember them ever explicitly stating what their "skin" is made of, just their armor or robot bodies in general.

If replicating human skin was ever a priority, it seems to be one that was dropped. Those navy blue body parts the characters in Mega Man ZX have? To quote Dr. K, "it's not spandex." Or any other sort of body suit, it seems; those are their bodies.

More and more, it seems as though Rock, Roll, and Blues are rather unique in being able to take on human-like appearances (which varies, as sometimes they're seen with panels and seams). The only in-house art of X or Zero sans helmet are from the diagrams made for the Bandai model kits, which depict no skin or hair (save for their faces and Zero's ponytail, of course).

Mind, Legends may be a different story, the likes of Volnutt, Sera, Yuna, and others from Elysium specifically. Considering MegaMan there can basically pop limbs off and swap them around like an action figure, I have no idea what his deal is.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Gonzo » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:41 am

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Those navy blue body parts the characters in Mega Man ZX have? To quote Dr. K, "it's not spandex." Or any other sort of body suit, it seems; those are their bodies.

Sorry if I'm going off on a tangent, but I can't say I liked that "it's not spandex" answer. It feels like "Why go for the simple answer when you could have a more convoluted one that raises more questions". Yeah, "machien body" could explain why the human characters can survive great falls, but I always chalked that up to "the laws of physics are only loosely obeyed in Mega-Land".

Plus, it means Vent and Aile are running around shirtless in ZXA. I don't mind that, but it makes me wonder if Yabe thought of that before saying that it's not tights.
Gonzo
BumbleKnight

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:21 am

Makes me wonder how far back it goes, too. Alia, for instance.

But yeah, while it's not a popular notion, it's still official. =\

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby BlazeHeatnix » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:09 am

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:
Mavrickindigo wrote:
Nintenfreak wrote:So if Mega Man X stars Mega Man X, why doesn't Mega Man V star Mega Man V?

Because "Mega Man X" stars "X", not "Mega Man X" and "Mega Man V" is roman numeral five.

I must be the only one who knew he was making a terrible joke.
BlazeHeatnix
BumbleCitizen

Postby LilacDownDeep » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:24 pm

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Makes me wonder how far back it goes, too. Alia, for instance.

But yeah, while it's not a popular notion, it's still official. =\

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

It also means that Ashe has been walking around completely pantless. It's a disturbing thought in my head for the ZX canon. Also it looks like they have to be a certain age too, as Blossom (one of the child characters) has a full 'flesh' body. It's just so... Uncanny Valley.

EDITS; Please tell me I'm not the only person who suddenly imagined the Robot Masters dancing to this.
LilacDownDeep
BumbleNoble

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:40 pm

BlazeHeatnix wrote:
LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:
Mavrickindigo wrote:

I thought he might be, but there are people who seriously think that way (see: Penny Arcade), so I decided not to leave it to chance. ;P

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby The KKM » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:36 pm

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:More and more, it seems as though Rock, Roll, and Blues are rather unique in being able to take on human-like appearances (which varies, as sometimes they're seen with panels and seams). The only in-house art of X or Zero sans helmet are from the diagrams made for the Bandai model kits, which depict no skin or hair (save for their faces and Zero's ponytail, of course).

Mind, Legends may be a different story, the likes of Volnutt, Sera, Yuna, and others from Elysium specifically. Considering MegaMan there can basically pop limbs off and swap them around like an action figure, I have no idea what his deal is.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Personally always thought it was meant as a safety measure of sorts, as Reploids can conceivably pass perfectly for humans they're made not to look human at first, and after that it just becomes culture.
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby Mavrickindigo » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:47 pm

BlazeHeatnix wrote:
LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:
Mavrickindigo wrote:

I was doing a sort of deadpan answer, but I honestly say the character's name is just "X" but his title is "Mega Man X"

considering the only person in the games to call him "Mega Man X" is Dr. Light and Serges, that's how I took it. I mean it seems the only character whose name is "Mega Man" is Mega Man, and the rest are just given the "Mega Man" title, like Juno, and Trigger and Vent and Aile and all of them.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:25 pm

Well, I do see it as a title for most. Mega Man isn't Mega Man, he's Rock; MegaMan.EXE is Hub, Star Force MegaMan is Geo, and then there is everyone in Mega Man ZX. MegaMan Volnutt is the odd one out, but more so in the West, as he's Rock Volnutt in Japan, but his original identity is Rockman/MegaMan Trigger.

I figure his full name/title is Mega Man X, and X is basically just shorthand. Like calling William "Will" or "Bill," or Robert "Rob" or "Bob," or Samuel/Samantha "Sam."

In any case, Dr. Light calls him by the full name in both the English and Japanese versions, and I'd think his word would carry more weight than anyone else in the series.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby TheFatPanda » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:33 am

Can the robots eat? I know they don't eat usually nor do they need to, but could they if they wanted to, for pleasure?
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby Acrosurge » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:34 pm

TheFatPanda wrote:Can the robots eat? I know they don't eat usually nor do they need to, but could they if they wanted to, for pleasure?
Mega Man has been said to enjoy Energy juice and Flame Man samples oils from around the world, so the 20XX era robots have some method of ingestion and digestion, but whether they could get anything from more humans foods, I don't know.

Reploids may be a different story. Grey, a reploid from the ZX era, could gain back a bit of life energy by consuming human food. IIRC, there are instances of this in the Zero series era as well, but I'll need to check again to be sure. We know Zero era reploids consume Energy Crystals, at least.
Acrosurge
BumbleFan

Postby LilacDownDeep » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:28 pm

Acrosurge wrote:
TheFatPanda wrote:Can the robots eat? I know they don't eat usually nor do they need to, but could they if they wanted to, for pleasure?
Mega Man has been said to enjoy Energy juice and Flame Man samples oils from around the world, so the 20XX era robots have some method of ingestion and digestion, but whether they could get anything from more humans foods, I don't know.

Reploids may be a different story. Grey, a reploid from the ZX era, could gain back a bit of life energy by consuming human food. IIRC, there are instances of this in the Zero series era as well, but I'll need to check again to be sure. We know Zero era reploids consume Energy Crystals, at least.

Commando Man is said to enjoy tasting all the different oils from around the world, so yeah they can ingest different types of energy source.

It's actually fun to think about all the different ways a robot could get energy. Plugging themselves into a wall, nuclear fusion/fission generator, sunbathing, eating food for biofuel, getting drunk on ethanol and gasoline... I wonder if all of that could be possible or explained in the Archie Mega Man series?
LilacDownDeep
BumbleNoble

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:54 pm

Back when it was a thing, my idea was that maybe Reploids' mouths were like Mr. Fusions.

That's back when I thought that if you were going to create something that can think, feel, and make its own decisions like a human, and looks like a human, then maybe you'd want them to fit in like a human and adopt more human-like traits.

I do see now how naive I was; clearly, decking them out in irremovable helmets, body armor, and guns while walking down the street is much more likely to keep people at ease.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

PreviousNext

Return to For Everlasting Peace!