Tracing and REcoloring

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Tracing and REcoloring

Postby Kureejii Lea » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:12 pm

Penguin God wrote:Also the tracing was incredibly obvious even if you didn't know where the references came from because the art would suddenly spike in ability even with the posing being wrong. I can't hate that artist totally though, as Bocoe and Decoe standing awkwardly as they set themselves on fire was possibly the funniest thing that book ever produced.

I dunno, I seem to remember there being a shot in which Sonic ended up with three arms... might be the wrong kind of funny though.

ToaArcan wrote:I really want to make a joke about Scourge here. In a topic about recolouring, it just seems all too appropriate.

We had the board filter his name to "Captain Recolour" like two years ago, so you're a bit late.
Kureejii Lea
BumbleKween

Postby ToaArcan » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:57 pm

Kureejii Lea wrote:We had the board filter his name to "Captain Recolour" like two years ago, so you're a bit late.

That's just too perfect. Hats off to you all.
ToaArcan
BumbleFan

Postby FritzyBeat » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:40 am

Oh gosh, I dunno if I even remember that XD It was so long ago.
Captain Recolour tho' ;P

Penguin God wrote:I can't hate that artist totally though, as Bocoe and Decoe standing awkwardly as they set themselves on fire was possibly the funniest thing that book ever produced.

Oh gosh~ Pictures, Penguin God! I need pictures of this XD
Spoiler: show
FritzyBeat
BumbleClan

Postby DudestofGuys » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:43 am

FritzyBeat wrote:I need pictures of this
DudestofGuys
BumbleFan

Postby Ziggyfin » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:56 pm

Hahaha oh yeaaahhhh! :(hearty laughter):
Ziggyfin
BumbleNoble

Postby Mobotropolis » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:24 pm

Two words. Michael Higgins.

These are all from the same issue; Sonic 92.
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby ToaArcan » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:44 pm

In fairness, most of them look copied, rather than traced.
ToaArcan
BumbleFan

Postby DudestofGuys » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:20 pm

ToaArcan wrote:In fairness, most of them look copied, rather than traced.

Tracing would actually take more time than the "place existing image underneath and draw accordingly" method used in most of these examples.

Higgins doesn't really deserve much hate for what happened with Sonic #92, though; the guy's an inker who got roped into providing "pencils" because someone else was too busy embezzling funds paying more attention to the upcoming Star Wars film commissioning self-congratulatory editorial comics slacking off to actually line up a pencil artist for the issue.
DudestofGuys
BumbleFan

Postby Mobotropolis » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:24 pm

To be fair, this happened during the era of hilariously bad art so it was hardly noticeable. This being a dark time where Steven Butler was by far the best regular pencilist and Spaz/Fry who are normally better were going through their hyper-anime phase.

... I was back-reading to confirm it was as bad as I remember it being. I started reading the comics during this era and man. Geoffrey was arguably more evil here than he was as an Ixis Wizard. o-O
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby ToaArcan » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:42 pm

Mobotropolis wrote:
... I was back-reading to confirm it was as bad as I remember it being. I started reading the comics during this era and man. Geoffrey was arguably more evil here than he was as an Ixis Wizard. o-O

IIRC, he and Max were pretty much bigger villains than Eggman and the other bad guys during that period.
ToaArcan
BumbleFan

Postby Kellox » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:44 am

Okay I am not sure if this counts as a trace but I read somewhere that Ken Penders just took a drawing from Spaz and used it for this page:

http://40.media.tumblr.com/9f6c3ec564d2 ... o1_500.png

Which is very noticeable too!!

Did he got permission to do this trough? While the Sonic looks good its sort of sticks out like a pretty butterfly between mediocre flowers.
Kellox
BumbleCitizen

Postby DudestofGuys » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:55 am

Spaz did production work back then, fixing mistakes occasionally and sometimes redrawing things entirely. That particular Sonic was presumably drawn for that scene, or at the very least not previously used in the comics.

Now, the rest of the issue is full of tracing, especially the backgrounds (which are mostly traced off SatAM backgrounds and panned shots).
DudestofGuys
BumbleFan

Postby Kellox » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:00 am

DudestofGuys wrote:Spaz did production work back then, fixing mistakes occasionally and sometimes redrawing things entirely. That particular Sonic was presumably drawn for that scene, or at the very least not previously used in the comics.

Now, the rest of the issue is full of tracing, especially the backgrounds (which are mostly traced off SatAM backgrounds and panned shots).

Wow really!? I had no idea about the rest of that!

Does someone have a comparison? lattely there seems to be much more work revealed of Ken Penders that was traced.
Kellox
BumbleCitizen

Postby Kureejii Lea » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:52 am

DudestofGuys wrote:Spaz did production work back then, fixing mistakes occasionally and sometimes redrawing things entirely. That particular Sonic was presumably drawn for that scene, or at the very least not previously used in the comics.

Yeah, StH #46 is a good example of this. Several shots of Bunnie, Sonic, Sally and others are subbed in by Spaz. It's pretty glaring if you look at the panel of Antoine's dad talking to King Acorn.
Kureejii Lea
BumbleKween

Previous

Return to This Side of Mobius