Tracing and REcoloring

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Tracing and REcoloring

Postby Kellox » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:56 pm

So I thought this thread might be a little fun, post here all the times in the history of Sonic the Hedgehog Archie comic series have panels where artist shamelessly traced other people''s work or simply recolored concept art from the video games
( Like this: http://robotnikholmescomicblog.tumblr.c ... that-sonic )

I know that since the reboot ( actually since Ian got on board )the Art quality of the of the series has raised and improved but it's stil amazing how so much stolen and traced content got away. ( I remember emailing Archie over 10 years ago about the traced artwork from the Sonic X comics because I was really getting tired of it ; D )
Kellox
BumbleCitizen

Re: Tracing and REcoloring

Postby TheFatPanda » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:07 pm

Pretty sure that's not traced: just the actual art recoloured.

Now...don't get me wrong, I like Lamar Wells work.

...except for when he traces.

Spoiler: show

Thankfully not all of his work consists of it, but it still does it frequently, and it's really not subtle.
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby faceclams » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:12 pm

I hope Tracy Yardley never traced. If he did I'd be double mad because of the pun. :P
faceclams
BumbleNewbie

Postby DoNotDelete » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:35 pm

As an occasional comic artist myself I can accept that some poses are inevitably (apparently) 'recycled'. When you're drawing a character a hundred/thousand times over you're going to tread over the same ground/repeat certain stances and expressions many times over your career.

Referencing successful/iconic poses from other comic artists and/or videogame artwork isn't really a crime either. There are times when tracing IS an issue (most namely when it's FREE dA fan art being traced for the purposes of RETAIL professional comic book art) but the examples thus far cited here all seem above board.

It's not something I really get annoyed with, personally.
DoNotDelete
BumbleCitizen

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:11 am

TheFatPanda wrote:Pretty sure that's not traced: just the actual art recoloured.

Thankfully not all of his work consists of it, but it still does it frequently, and it's really not subtle.

Those don't look like traces to me, not for the most part. Referencing? Sure, but tracing? Not so much. Too many details differ.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby faceclams » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:40 am

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:
Those don't look like traces to me, not for the most part. Referencing? Sure, but tracing? Not so much. Too many details differ.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

The only ones that look debatable to me is the Sonic running forward one. He may not be literally tracing but he is copying the same pose, maybe changing a hand or expression. It's particularly obvious when you see how the perspective on the heads, shoes, etc. are identical.
faceclams
BumbleNewbie

Postby Kellox » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:29 am

TheFatPanda wrote:Pretty sure that's not traced: just the actual art recoloured.

Yep that's why I said Tracing AND Recolored artwork xD.
As for Wells work, I did not know this at all but too be fair apart from 2 images most of the pictures do not look traced but rather eye-balled?. (referenced)

any renmber this?

Image Image Image
Kellox
BumbleCitizen

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:07 am

#Shudders* The Christmas and Valentine's Sonic X issues. On the plus side the Valentines one had a fun script.

Anywho yeah tracing was pretty rampant and annoying back in the day. Anything to make deadlines I guess.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby ReifuTD » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:52 am

SonicBlueRanger wrote:
Anywho yeah tracing was pretty rampant and annoying back in the day. Anything to make deadlines I guess.

I don't understand why tracing in Sonic X would be annoying, If I understand Sonic X comic couldn't go as off model as the Archie Sonic series and I assume Archie had the rights to images. Unless the same imagines show up multiple times over and over again I don't see how most people would notice. Show to two more panels based off the same image then you'll have something there.
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Postby Kellox » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:00 am

ReifuTD wrote:
SonicBlueRanger wrote:

I don't understand why tracing in Sonic X would be annoying, If I understand Sonic X comic couldn't go as off model as the Archie Sonic series and I assume Archie had the rights to images. Unless the same imagines show up multiple times over and over again I don't see how most people would notice. Show to two more panels based off the same image then you'll have something there.

No if I am not mistaken, they did not have the right to trace these screenshots. They do have some rights of the concept art but to use it as ''reference'' to get the models right.

A lot of people noticed and a lot of people send their angry emails at Archie about it who not only responded with sending an apology but this artist got fired for it. SO No this wasn't okay.
Kellox
BumbleCitizen

Postby TheFatPanda » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:03 am

If Lamar is only using references, it's still noticeable as all heck.
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby Toby » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:19 am

ReifuTD wrote:
SonicBlueRanger wrote:

Issues 15 and 6 of Sonic X were the only ones with tracing if I recall correctly. Your mileage varied in quality, but the other artists in the book did their own work.
Toby
BumbleNoble

Postby Penguin God » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:27 am

Also the tracing was incredibly obvious even if you didn't know where the references came from because the art would suddenly spike in ability even with the posing being wrong. I can't hate that artist totally though, as Bocoe and Decoe standing awkwardly as they set themselves on fire was possibly the funniest thing that book ever produced.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby ToaArcan » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:57 pm

I really want to make a joke about Scourge here. In a topic about recolouring, it just seems all too appropriate.
ToaArcan
BumbleFan

Postby RaceProUK » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:15 pm

Did someone say 'recolour'?

If it looks blurry or small, just click it; Wikia does weird things with images sometimes.
RaceProUK
BumbleFan

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius