The ages of the Sonic cast

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: The ages of the Sonic cast

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:43 am

faceclams wrote:Maybe it's not as much because of Japan's real life age standards and more because they like to feature young protagonists. 10 year old pokemon trainers and all that.

Naruto being 12 when we first meet him and 17 when he saves the whole world, and so on
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby Xabin » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:17 pm

Huh. That makes sense, when we factor in also that the age of consent for Japan is much lower than in the west, which brings more credence to Amy's constant attempts to hook up with Sonic, to the point of marriage. It also explains why the comics made Rotor look older, later on in the comic; in Japan, at his age, he'd be gunning for an independent job that would take the years off of him, so the rougher and older look of him would just be standard for people that age in the East. I was always curious why they did that to him, especially in Mobius: X Years Later, and now I know.
Xabin
BumbleCitizen

Postby faceclams » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:29 pm

Xabin wrote:Huh. That makes sense, when we factor in also that the age of consent for Japan is much lower than in the west, which brings more credence to Amy's constant attempts to hook up with Sonic, to the point of marriage. It also explains why the comics made Rotor look older, later on in the comic; in Japan, at his age, he'd be gunning for an independent job that would take the years off of him, so the rougher and older look of him would just be standard for people that age in the East. I was always curious why they did that to him, especially in Mobius: X Years Later, and now I know.

But Archie Sonic is not a Japanese comic, so that's not a valid out-of-universe explanation.
faceclams
BumbleNewbie

Postby Xabin » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:34 pm

faceclams wrote:
Xabin wrote:Huh. That makes sense, when we factor in also that the age of consent for Japan is much lower than in the west, which brings more credence to Amy's constant attempts to hook up with Sonic, to the point of marriage. It also explains why the comics made Rotor look older, later on in the comic; in Japan, at his age, he'd be gunning for an independent job that would take the years off of him, so the rougher and older look of him would just be standard for people that age in the East. I was always curious why they did that to him, especially in Mobius: X Years Later, and now I know.

But Archie Sonic is not a Japanese comic, so that's not a valid out-of-universe explanation.

No, but it's licensed from a Japanese game company, who - as we all know - have had mandates on what can and can't happen in the comic. It might not fully explain what happened, but they might've just used those aesthetics to please Sega.
Xabin
BumbleCitizen

Postby Meliden » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:43 pm

Pre-reboot would have been in line with Western conceptions of age for sure. Post-reboot will be more in line with Japanese conceptions in order to better match the game brand.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Kureejii Lea » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:48 pm

I'm pretty sure with Rotor it was just a combination of people not caring/paying attention to how old characters were supposed to be (like Elias and Geoffrey, or how Bunnie went from being younger than Sally to older, or how Sabre suddenly became much younger-looking once it was revealed that he had several older family members running around), not taking into account the math for 25YL, and then the glasses + scruffier look reading as "old" to most people.
Kureejii Lea
BumbleKween

Postby Xabin » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:50 pm

Maybe, but I do like the alt explanation that was given about it on here.
Xabin
BumbleCitizen

Postby faceclams » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:57 pm

The early comics were super inconsistent about characters looking their age. This has to be my favourite example:

They look about 5 years old.

As far as I know these guys didn't have official ages, but if Geoffrey was in his early twenties, Hershey would probably be within that age range to avoid getting creepy. Since Geoffrey was the leader he might be older than the others, so it's not inconceivable that Wombat Stu and Valdez were in their teens. Of course ages later Valdez was retconned to have spied on Locke, so he's retroactively old enough to be their dad!
faceclams
BumbleNewbie

Postby ToaArcan » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:45 pm

I remember seeing a thing on Know Your Meme which was taken from an image board, and the channers were freaking out that Geoffrey's a full ten years older than Sally, and yet there was an attempt at a romance between them.

Actually, what was up with that? Sally's miniseries set up her and Geoffrey, but in the main comic, that seemed to be mostly ignored and she was still having her tension with Sonic and Geoffrey just came across as a hopeless suitor who hated Sonic.
ToaArcan
BumbleFan

Postby faceclams » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:47 pm

ToaArcan wrote:I remember seeing a thing on Know Your Meme which was taken from an image board, and the channers were freaking out that Geoffrey's a full ten years older than Sally, and yet there was an attempt at a romance between them.

Actually, what was up with that? Sally's miniseries set up her and Geoffrey, but in the main comic, that seemed to be mostly ignored and she was still having her tension with Sonic and Geoffrey just came across as a hopeless suitor who hated Sonic.

Because Ken Penders can't write romance worth a dime.
faceclams
BumbleNewbie

Postby ToaArcan » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:07 pm

He did alright with some of the SOnic/Sally stuff, to be fair.
ToaArcan
BumbleFan

Postby RaceProUK » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:34 am

ToaArcan wrote:I remember seeing a thing on Know Your Meme which was taken from an image board, and the channers were freaking out that Geoffrey's a full ten years older than Sally, and yet there was an attempt at a romance between them.

Desperation to crowbar in a 'love triangle'?
RaceProUK
BumbleFan

Postby ToaArcan » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:20 am

RaceProUK wrote:Desperation to crowbar in a 'love triangle'?

Looks like.

The love triangles were never a good thing, and to be honest, they got worse over time. Sonic/Sally/Geoffrey had some plot relevance. Sally/Sonic/Mina made some level of sense with Mina's character development. Sonic/Fiona/Tails just hindered Fiona's character growth and ended in the worst way possible. Sonic/Sally/Ken just didn't work at all.
ToaArcan
BumbleFan

Postby faceclams » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:45 pm

ToaArcan wrote:The love triangles were never a good thing, and to be honest, they got worse over time. Sonic/Sally/Geoffrey had some plot relevance. Sally/Sonic/Mina made some level of sense with Mina's character development. Sonic/Fiona/Tails just hindered Fiona's character growth and ended in the worst way possible. Sonic/Sally/Ken just didn't work at all.

It's pretty clear that Sally and Ken never had any chemistry, they were just being hormonal teenagers and making out.
faceclams
BumbleNewbie

Postby ToaArcan » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:57 pm

That may be so, but the biggest issue I had with it was Ken deciding to fry Nicole's processor while Sally was still inside it.
ToaArcan
BumbleFan

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius