Ask Ian Anything - Extended Addition

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby Ian Flynn » Fri May 05, 2006 9:11 pm

The unofficial answer: No, the "Dr. Quack knows" element was part of Karl's plans for Antoine. I only know about the basics of the plans because Jon "WB" Grey shared them with me last year. No, I won't detail them here =P

The official answer: If there's a greater story to be had by answering it in-book, I'll go with that. Until then, let us assume Patch lied to Dr. Quack to start building himself an alibi.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Faded-Myth » Fri May 05, 2006 11:30 pm

PottoMeister wrote:And for the Sally fans - there will be more of her in the future, I promise).

Permisision to hug and kiss you and frolic in the bushes sir?
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Postby beowolf master of ctalin » Sat May 06, 2006 4:25 am

here is a question chaos seems to be the ace card for the heros in this comic do you have somthing for this advantage to be disadvantage by a new mech or something by the good doctor robotnik? Err what im saying is "their" something that can handle sonic going super and bet him down in his super form like using chaos syphin or what not.
beowolf master of ctalin
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Sat May 06, 2006 9:20 am

Faded-Myth wrote:Permisision to hug and kiss you and frolic in the bushes sir?

My girlfriend's an admin, so I recommend keeping it to a hearty handshake ^^;

beowolf wrote:what im saying is "their" something that can handle sonic going super and bet him down in his super form like using chaos syphin or what not.

No, Super-level forms are pretty much it. The only exceptions would be the Ancient Walkers, Master Mogul and Enerjak. With Dimitri a robot (and M.I.A.), Enerjak looks unlikely. TDS wills how why the other two are equally unlikely.

But don't fret. A battle between two Super-forms would be titanic in its own right. No need to top that ;)
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Kureejii Lea » Sat May 06, 2006 11:10 am

IanPotto wrote:
Faded-Myth wrote:Permisision to hug and kiss you and frolic in the bushes sir?

My girlfriend's an admin, so I recommend keeping it to a hearty handshake ^^;

:twisted:
Kureejii Lea
BumbleKween

Postby Faded-Myth » Sun May 07, 2006 8:25 pm

Oh I see how it is. You two are in cahoots huh? Well, I guess we all need someone to watch our backs and point out all our mistakes ;)

I'm just kidding Ian. Please don't thunderbolt me. I burn easily.
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

RE

Postby EthanEmerald » Sun May 07, 2006 8:56 pm

He knows from experiences with me. :twisted:

</Joking>

So, question. What kind of stories do we have to look forward to in the upcoming years?

Also, what do we have to look forward to, Bumbleking-related?
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Sun May 07, 2006 9:30 pm

Ahh...the poking fun at the mods, only to skitter back into subservience. I love it :twisted:

...there has been far too much use of that emoticon lately. Anyhoo...

EthanEmerald wrote:So, question. What kind of stories do we have to look forward to in the upcoming years?

The road to S#175 have these main functions:
- wrap up loose ends
- annihilate the status quo
- rebuild the status quo
- annihilate it again!
- build up to events leading to/going beyond S#175

Everything builds on top of everything else so much so that I'm finding it hard to even give the vaguest of hints. We'll say "Birthday Bash" was a gentle primer for the unending thrill ride that is Sonic the Hedgehog

(wow...that sounds like one of those spoiler blurbs)

EthanEmerald wrote:Also, what do we have to look forward to, Bumbleking-related?

There are three projects underway right now. The first is being written by me with art by Matt Herms. "Legend of the Corduroy Ninja" will be a short, possibly continuing story full of non sequiters and action sequences.

Wil (and artist of great repute) is busy working on his opus "DreamCaster" which involves magic, mechas and anthros. Seriously, how can you miss with that?

And there's a third addition to the line-up which is super-secret at the moment. Details when I'm good and ready with them.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Sonic922 » Mon May 08, 2006 3:47 pm

IanPotto wrote:Ahh...the poking fun at the mods, only to skitter back into subservience. I love it :twisted:

...there has been far too much use of that emoticon lately. Anyhoo...

EthanEmerald wrote:So, question. What kind of stories do we have to look forward to in the upcoming years?

The road to S#175 have these main functions:
- wrap up loose ends
- annihilate the status quo
- rebuild the status quo
- annihilate it again!
- build up to events leading to/going beyond S#175

Everything builds on top of everything else so much so that I'm finding it hard to even give the vaguest of hints. We'll say "Birthday Bash" was a gentle primer for the unending thrill ride that is Sonic the Hedgehog

(wow...that sounds like one of those spoiler blurbs)

Do you think that Darkest Storm will tie up more Loose ends or leave more?
Sonic922
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Mon May 08, 2006 5:19 pm

I don't know if I can quantify it, but I can promise you that any new direction TDS brings up will be followed up on within the next two years. If it went longer than that, then I'd start calling it a loose end.

This will become infinitely easier to talk about once the arc has played through. We'll start in on it next week - although I think subscribers should be getting S#162 this week.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby JoJo B. » Mon May 08, 2006 7:47 pm

Now that Eggman has been given a realistic redesign for the new Sonic the Hedgehog game, will this new look enter the comics?

Also, I'm not sure if this is your department, but will we ever see an updated map of Mobius?

Thanks.
JoJo B.
BumbleFan

RE

Postby EthanEmerald » Mon May 08, 2006 8:37 pm

Hey, Ian.

I'm taking a moment to suggest something to you!

I don't know what all of you think about this...

But, from what I've seen in the previews of SONIC THE HEDGEHOG, the game has a very deep storyline. And, frankly, I don't think it deserves to run as a backstory adaptation. A small tale about Princess Elise? Maybe. But, (speculating) Eggman stealing the princess to harness the power of her chaos emerald, a monsterous fire-demon attacking a water city named Soleanna, and the missions of three hedgehogs to put their own stances into the commotion? No way should that be a backup story in my opinion.

I can understand why some games that don't have a deep plot such as Sonic Riders and the upcoming Sonic Rivals will run as backstories. But, SONIC THE HEDGEHOG is different, don't you think? This is the 15th anniversary celebration game, with a deeper plot than ever before, according to SEGA.

Has Mike been updated on all of the new game info? If not, maybe you should pass along some screenshots of the new trailer and a synopsis of it to him, to see how he responds?

I think this game is going to be pretty big, don't you? Well, you've just read my opinion. I hope you're not too offended. ^^;

Ethan
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Mon May 08, 2006 9:12 pm

JoJo B. wrote:Now that Eggman has been given a realistic redesign for the new Sonic the Hedgehog game, will this new look enter the comics?

I'm not entirely sure. It depends on if NextGen-Sonic's art style will be used for the following installments in the series. If human-Eggman is now the norm, then yes, I guess we'll eventually more on to that.

JoJo B. wrote:Also, I'm not sure if this is your department, but will we ever see an updated map of Mobius?

No plans for one of those to my knowledge. The old one isn't really too out of date anyway. All it's lacking is New Megaopolis and the Nanite City.

EthanEmerald wrote:Vote for full adaptation

First and foremost, I think what we've seen of NextGen-Sonic is pretty old-hat. The homing attack looks the same, the grinding looks the same, and the block-to-block leaping looks like the numbered panel hopping from SADX. Shadow has obviously retained at least some of his ShtH game elements. The only thing looking wholly original is "Blanco the Hedgehog's" attack absorb/repell ability.

As for the story - Dr. Eggman uses the power of the Chaos Emeralds to summon an elemental terror, and there's a princess involved. At least Tikal stood up against her father and his army. Elise pulls a Princess Peach in this one, it seems. I don't foresee the presumed battle between Super Sonic and (I'm guessing) Iblis to be much different from his fight with Perfect Chaos.

In short, I'm not impressed - and I've been a stalwart hold-out on optimism here.

The battle to get official information - in-depth or otherwise - coupled with shoe-horning it into current continuity while throwing off all other stories already in production isn't one I think we'll be fighting. It is my understanding that Sega is being wonderfully generous with the whens, wheres and hows of our adaptations.

I do want to incorperate elements of NextGen-Sonic into the comic, but don't expect them to coincide with the release of the game.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Faded-Myth » Mon May 08, 2006 9:41 pm

I have to admit that's a huge relief... I was really worried you guys might be forced into thrwing in all the game elements into the comic and that would jus throw all your hard work out the window... Or at least convolute it even more.
It's funny because before I even read the question I kinda figured you'd be of the "Maybe, but definately not just yet..." mentality. No offence to Ken but I can't help but believe he'd have wanteda bit 20 story epic arch based on the games and that would have distractedfrom the main Archie Sonic the Hedgehog world, which is what really bugged me about the Sonic Adventure arch. It just didn't really seem to suit the comic world all that much. Though that's just my persnal take on it. Give me The Darkest Storm (and any other original story arch) over a game adaptation anyday =D
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Postby Ian Flynn » Mon May 08, 2006 10:04 pm

That isn't to knock the SA-adpatation, of course. Given all the creatives had working against them and the highly incompatible story lines, I think they made a valiant effort and did a fine job.

And I can't say with any certainty that we won't receive a mandate to adapt NextGen-Sonic. I'm just saying that as of this posting I haven't heard of any direct orders or plans to do so.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius