Ask Lea Stuff and Things

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Ask Lea Stuff and Things

Postby The KKM » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:39 pm

so uh, is this little resemblance intentional or me seeing things that aren't there

The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby Vampfox » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:33 pm

Was Nikki meant to be an allusion to Ben Hurst abandoned concept from Satam, where NICOLE was actually a living being who was transformed into a computer by Dr. Robotnik or am I looking way to into things :?:
Vampfox
BumbleCult

Postby Mavrickindigo » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:13 pm

Was Spark of Life exclusively a "Sonic's World" thing, or did you have a version of it in mind that would work in Mobius Prime? If so, how might have that gone?
Last edited by Mavrickindigo on Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby megabeatman » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:41 am

Were you inspired by certain movies (i.e. Spirited Away & The Matrix) while working on "The Spark of Life?"
megabeatman
BumbleKnight

Postby Dub » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:10 pm

Hi.

My name is Jon.

We're buddies.

Whatcha doin'? :mrgreen:
Dub
BumbleCreative

Postby ShadowBat20 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:50 pm

Do you have any interest in writing an issue/arc for Mega Man?
ShadowBat20
BumbleClan

Postby Kureejii Lea » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:08 pm

It's long-winded answer time!

TheFatPanda wrote:Are you allowed to ever show off those new designs for Saffron and Hershey you created?

At this point no, sorry... but I guess it doesn't hurt to talk about them a little? I hope that's okay at least. In part Hershey had a "temporary" Felidae-styled outfit and an early idea for the Secret FF uniforms that I think still had the coloured googles thing and a face covering but sort of a bodysuit-and-cropped-jacket look. There was still the colour theme going on there (Hershey had red so Elias ended up with blue instead) but honestly, the Sonic Rivals-styled outfits were much cooler. She would've worn her wedding ring around her neck, hiding it under her clothes at first. Otherwise I think other stuff was mostly refining ideas from previous designs.

Along that line, Saffron's dress and shoes were changed from the pink to a sorta soft yellow-green (to differentiate her from the only other girl on the team), the shoes kept the pom-pom thing from Jon Gray's design and I think the dress may have had a trim. At one point I thought it would've been fun to have the dress with oldschool polka dots, but that kind of thing is @#$% for an artist to draw every time the character shows up in a panel. I think the jacket sleeves may have been rolled up and the jacket was zipped because Paul Kaminski thought it would be nice to have her visually match Charmy's vest. The back of the jacket had some different emblem ideas like a purple flower or a bee design like Charmy's, though I'm not sure what was picked in the end. Because her hair and stripes kept changing all the time, her head was made yellow and her hair simplified into a flipped-up, sort of old-fashioned bob cut and I made her stripes into a one long, one short pattern (which made it either look like she was wearing short leggings or kneesocks, I can't remember which). I toyed with making her eyes green or pink -- originally this was because there were a lot of blue-eyed characters running around, but then Espio, Vector and Charmy all got different official eye colours and that was less of an issue. She was also to wear an older-style radio headset for... reasons.

As for the second half of your question, I'm combining it with another one:

TheFatPanda wrote:For that matter, were there more character redesigns than just those two that we don't know about?

SonicBlueRanger wrote:Did you have any ideas you wanted to do for the old continuity?

There were tons of ideas tossed around or being worked towards -- which I guess you'll read about in about two-hundred years when Ian finishes Lost Hedgehog Tales. But seriously, this got me thinking about something I'd actually forgotten about until pretty much now.

When Mighty and Ray went off to look for Matilda ("All for One"), one of the concepts within the story was that of the mobians who'd be roboticized and suddenly changed back to normal. Someone who had been left pretty much unaccounted for and forgotten in that situation was Liza, Espio's friend. In the weird little story that introduced her, in addition to apparently not liking other species, the chameleons seemed to pretty much have no idea what robots were at all... so the idea was that when Liza found herself suddenly deroboticized, her people were scared and no longer trusted her, and she had no place to go. Feeling bad for her, Espio relocated her to his ninja clan. There was a little nod towards this in Iron Dominion.

So the original plan, in which more of the story focused on Mighty and Ray's travels, Espio had sent word to his clan, and Mighty and Ray would have eventually found themselves being (ineptly) followed by Liza, who'd been assigned to find and help them out. The idea was that it would be fun/awkward because she'd still be somewhat uncomfortable around different people (part of her being assigned to the job would be to force her to work through that) and not actually be all that skilled in the whole invisible-chameleon-ninja thing, but in the end her past (having been roboticizied and then left with nowhere to go) would have given her some common ground with Matilda and the others.

So yeah, Liza was someone else I reworked... though I don't remember all the details. Originally she was pretty much a pink Espio recolour with tentacle-hair-things. I think her new attire was green and yellow with some kind of big scarf...

Sunwalker wrote:What were your challenges when you were writing your first comic script?

Oh jeez... probably space constraints. There'd be all this stuff I'd want to do or I'd want to phrase things or pace them out in a very specific way, but there are only so many pages and panels to work with so things would constantly have to be reworked and trimmed down and flat-out cut. I guess maybe I try to do too much at once, but I think I've been improving in that regard as time goes on... slightly... maybe. I thought it was kind of funny that at one point, after an active effort of trying to keep things more succinct, I was told to add more dialogue.

Biostar wrote:Did you have a role in the designs of any of the new characters introduced post-reboot?

Post-reboot... I designed/helped design Relic, Coral, Razor, Pearly, Angelica, Puff, Echo, Thunderbolt, Cassia, Clove, Ellidy, Phage, Nikki (as little as she's seen) -- some of those being collaborations with Tracy, Evan and Ian. Um... I guess I had a little bit of involvement with Eclipse and Nicole too, though those were mostly Ryan Jampole's work.

therealfalconpawnch7 wrote:When designing a character what do you do first?

Honestly, I usually just stew on it a few days first. Just keep thinking about the overall direction of the character, what their purpose is, what their personality would likely be, etc. to sort of round out a feel or theme, and consider different overall shapes and clothing styles/themes that would suit. In terms of actually getting anything solid done I probably start tossing around colour schemes first. I tend to try to think of what comes to mind immediately and then basically ask myself why I went there first, and if I should make a point of subverting it and doing something different, so I can try to avoid getting stuck in a rut or making something too predictable (like automatically making a female character pink BECAUSE). Sometimes stuff like species or clothing style might be more dependent on the story itself so that kind of thing might be determined/finalized further down the road. A colour scheme is a nice place to start and it's something that's easy to adjust and shift around later on if needed.

NxtWaltDisney wrote:Why did you choose to make Phage work for Eggman instead of having her be a villain with no affliation; having her own goals?

I didn't make that choice, but I think the basic idea was along the lines of her being able to so easily integrate with and control Eggman's badniks; while Nicole has created her own body to act in the real world, Phage hijacks those of other creations. I wouldn't say she doesn't have her own goals though; she pretty much acts of her own volition, and while she was made by Eggman and would like to support his efforts,
Spoiler: show
that's not mutual.

QuantamEdge wrote:Are there any specific characters you'd like to write given the chance?

Welllll... I haven't exactly gotten to do anything with the title character of all things, so that might be nice. The Chaotix would be a lot of fun, and I think I'd like to do something with Bunnie -- I think she's got a cool balance of heart, strength and pragmatism, plus, y'know, lasers.

Meliden wrote:What was foremost in consideration when coming up with the concept of Meropis and its citizens?

Absolutely foremost was to try to make it fit with the world of Sonic -- it's all there to serve the overall structure and narrative, not just be its own isolated special thing that happens to be using Sonic as a vehicle to exist. I feel like a lot of the original content made in the past tended to come off as being its own thing that was just crammed into "Mobius" with no real connection to or consideration of the rest of it, or you had concepts that were essentially just parodies or adaptations of other existing material given a thin coat of Sonic-paint. On top of that, while I don't think there's anything wrong with giving some story focus to original content, I think it's kind of important to remember the book's title. There's no exact hard-set line in the sand but you don't want to have original content overtake the main focus and stand apart from it, because then it pretty much misses the point.
Kureejii Lea
BumbleKween

Postby Kureejii Lea » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:10 pm

(continued)

Xeric wrote:My question is regarding Nicole.

What was the thought process behind "Overclocked Nicole"? Did you always intend for her to have an established Super Form by the end of the arc? She just seems like a odd choice to be the first Archie Sonic character to get one, especially over Sally.

It wasn't intended from the very start, no. Part of it was just toying with what kinds of special things might come from using the Red Star Rings in various ways, and, well, there's already some special ring-usage tied into Nicole's character. I wasn't really thinking of it as quite the same as a Super form myself (early on it was sorta jokingly being called "Psuper Nicole" like psuedo-super and, yeah)... Maybe sort of along the lines of how Darkspine Sonic is an unusuall transformation and not quite the same thing as Super Sonic, you know? And because of Nicole's nature, I think of it as something that would be risky to maintain for long...

Betz! wrote:What inspired Nicole's origin story. What were you doing at the time?

What was I doing? I... don't remember? I think there were some very, very early ideas being tossed around regarding Red Star Rings and some other details, and I sorta butted my way in thinking that they could serve as a basis for giving Nicole some focus and backstory with this new universe. Later on when I ended up being assigned to the story itself it was to focus somewhat on exploring Sally and Nicole's past and relationship -- while some general events are supposed to be similar to the old timeline, in this setting Sally has more or less grown up with Nicole by her side, so they've influenced each other over time.

Zanoss wrote:What do you think about the Honey and Breezie ?
Do you think these two pretty ladies have a chance to appear more often in the comic ?

They're both fun in their own ways, and I especially like that they're both businesswomen but manage to not be redundant in terms of role or character. Honey's sort of sneaky/mischievous streak makes her especially engaging, I think. Since they're now established there's no reason for them to not show up again, though in all honestly part of that does come down to fan response.

Illustrious Q wrote:How much do you and Ian collaborate on Sonic Stories?

I... don't know how to quantify that. I guess we talk and brainstorm a fair bit, and it helps to know what kinds of things he has planned or what kind of general editorial directions are in place so as to avoid major contradictions and such. Obviously in any planning stage it helps to know all the factors going in.

akessel92 wrote:What was the inspiration behind phage's design?

I didn't do the initial concepts, but I thought it might be neat to make the mask more like a Japanese fox mask (since a lot of Eggman stuff is animal-based in terms of design, and it sort of seemed similar to begin with anyway), only with a simplified circuit board theme for the markings. I figured only the eyes would be expressive, but that there'd sometimes be the visible mouth on the "body" to kind of blur the line between which was her "real" face. I did at one point think it would be cool to make the mask sort of a detached "face" like the Sages in Twilight Princess, but I don't think that was implemented in the end.

The KKM wrote:so uh, is this little resemblance intentional or me seeing things that aren't there

Not intentional on my part, though it does look pretty similar. I don't think it was done as a reference, though that whole sequence is a bit different from how I'd pictured it.

Vampfox wrote:Was Nikki meant to be an allusion to Ben Hurst abandoned concept from Satam, where NICOLE was actually a living being who was transformed into a computer by Dr. Robotnik or am I looking way to into things :?:

Not directly, no. I sort of felt that doing the whole "this living machine was actually a real live person all along!" thing would undermine Nicole's personal growth as an A.I., and it might've come off as predictable or overdone at this point.

Mavrickindigo wrote:Was this current arc entirely a concept for the new universe, or did you have a version of it in mind that would work in Mobius Prime? If so, how might have that gone?

This was pretty much made with this universe in mind, though I think there may have been some plans to touch upon Isolated Island earlier on. Obviously, a lot of the details here simply wouldn't have fit in with the old stuff without overwriting it completely. Personally, I never thought the whole "secret future timeloop origin" thing really added anything to Nicole's character since it didn't seem like the kind of thing that would ever directly be acknowledged.

megabeatman wrote:Were you inspired by certain movies (i.e. Spirited Away & The Matrix) while working on "The Spark of Life?"

Nah, though I can see why you might think so.

Dub wrote:Hi.

My name is Jon.

We're buddies.

Whatcha doin'? :mrgreen:

Sorry, who are you again?

ShadowBat20 wrote:Do you have any interest in writing an issue/arc for Mega Man?

Oh, definitely.
Kureejii Lea
BumbleKween

Postby Meliden » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:43 pm

Kureejii Lea wrote:so the idea was that when Liza found herself suddenly deroboticized, her people were scared and no longer trusted her, and she had no place to go. Feeling bad for her, Espio relocated her to his ninja clan.

That actually sounds familiar. I think her character piece on the old blog said something along those lines, so it was stated even if not in the comic pages.

And it's neat to know that having a coherent world (one coherent with Sonic) is a big priority for this new reality.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Betz! » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:58 pm

I gotcha another one. Did YOU have any plans for the old universe?
Betz!
BumbleKnight

Postby Meliden » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:37 pm

Oh right, new day.

What's your view on Amiibo?
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby NiTROACTiVE » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:19 pm

I have a question for you. If your married to Ian Flynn, then how come your full name is still Aleah Baker and not Aleah Flynn? Was is some special marriage I'm not aware of, or did you not feel like changing your last name?
NiTROACTiVE
BumbleClan

Postby Kureejii Lea » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:59 pm

Betz! wrote:I gotcha another one. Did YOU have any plans for the old universe?

SonicBlueRanger already asked this one, and I answered.

Meliden wrote:What's your view on Amiibo?

Not bad? There are some potential interesting implementations, and it's sort of nice for some series and characters who otherwise don't have a lot of merchandise.

NiTROACTiVE wrote:If your married to Ian Flynn, then how come your full name is still Aleah Baker and not Aleah Flynn? Was is some special marriage I'm not aware of, or did you not feel like changing your last name?

Nothing requires me to change my name. I don't really see the need to redo and reissue all my official documentation and IDs and such, either. I'm pretty sure that unless you're committing fraud it doesn't really matter what you're calling yourself.
Kureejii Lea
BumbleKween

Postby Biostar » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:03 pm

What region of Sonic's World is your favorite/would you most like to write about?
Biostar
BumbleNewbie

Postby The Shadow Emperor » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:11 pm

Who are you favorite and least favorite characters from the comics and/or games?
The Shadow Emperor

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius