Naugus Is Now A Troll and the Troll Civlization

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Naugus Is Now A Troll and the Troll Civlization

Postby jazzflower92 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:08 am

Mikail wrote:I feel as though the Trolls and the Dragons have a history together. Just a hunch really.

That would be Darcy relevant as a character again. :D
jazzflower92
BumbleFan

Postby apprentice manta » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:25 am

You mean Dulcy, she's the dragon. Darcy is the love interest from Pride And Prejudice. (Also the chara who inspired the "Oh Mr. Darcy" meme)

There's versions of that comic for almost every fandom. They all end the same way. Amazing.
apprentice manta
BumbleNoble

Postby Spectre the Hechidnat » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:30 am

The Troll thing came from SU #70-Relic mentions a Troll civilization with an affinity for crystals.
Spectre the Hechidnat
BumbleNoble

Postby diamonddeath » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:13 am

Fan theories:
Spoiler: show
I think many of us are now expecting Witchcart to be a Troll. I remember she used to be called Wendy Witchcart, but I can't find out why that was changed. Does anyone know why? I think the theory along with Witchcart being related to Naugus came out when we heard Naugus' new name was Wally/Walter because they both began with a W.
diamonddeath
BumbleNoble

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:22 pm

I'm all for the change. The three Wizards thing was alright but seemed way too over complicated for something as simple as "Evil Court Magician" honestly.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby sonicray » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:31 pm

Please use the spoiler people, we don't need to see these fan ideas, and I could've sworn that Naugus real name was Wally, I don't know if that was before or after the reboot. Also,
If Naugus is a troll, I wonder if he had spent his life under the bridge collecting money, going online and trolling other people because he has nothing better to do. :twisted:
sonicray
BumbleNoble

Postby Meliden » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:41 pm

Wally can be short for Walter as well as Wallace.

And the use of both names is post-reboot, as opposed to his old title of Ixis.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby jazzflower92 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:42 pm

SonicBlueRanger wrote:I'm all for the change. The three Wizards thing was alright but seemed way too over complicated for something as simple as "Evil Court Magician" honestly.

I do wonder what Naugus in the Satam show would have been. I know the Ixis part of Naugus was a thing added in the comics before the reboot.
jazzflower92
BumbleFan

Postby Mavrickindigo » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:21 pm

Wait a minute... where in the world did this backstory come from? It says free comic book #8, but when was that released? I missed something and I'm sad :(

EDIT: Any reason why his name is "Walter"? Because now that we know it is "Walter Naugus" that seems to destroy the previous fan theory
that his name is "Wally Witchcart
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby apprentice manta » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:12 pm

Walter = w(orld) alter or w(ave) alter if you prefer. Compound phrase. Either way, I think it's a nod to how the continuity got changed by the SGW & Naugus is one of the few charas to survive the reboot.
Possibly Naugus will be involved in or instigate another world altering event: the Worlds Unite cross-over.

That's my theory. I could be wrong, maybe Ian just likes the name Walter.
apprentice manta
BumbleNoble

Postby DabigRG » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:53 pm

jazzflower92 wrote:
SonicBlueRanger wrote:I'm all for the change. The three Wizards thing was alright but seemed way too over complicated for something as simple as "Evil Court Magician" honestly.

I do wonder what Naugus in the Satam show would have been. I know the Ixis part of Naugus was a thing added in the comics before the reboot.

It was his original name during Season 2's development and Penders added it before the Void was completed.
So, much like Max (apparently), its an unused beta thing that Penders gets dibs on since legally he used it first.
apprentice manta wrote:Walter = w(orld) alter or w(ave) alter if you prefer. Compound phrase. Either way, I think it's a nod to how the continuity got changed by the SGW & Naugus is one of the few charas to survive the reboot.
Possibly Naugus will be involved in or instigate another world altering event: the Worlds Unite cross-over.

That's my theory. I could be wrong, maybe Ian just likes the name Walter.

I recall hearing that its either a Flashpoint reference or a tribute to one of the production staff at DiC. But now that you've said that, I can't unhear it.
DabigRG
BumbleNoble

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:56 am

I just hope that he hassles Sonic about his newer adventures not being as good as his older ones and the color of his eyes and all his lousy friends.

Maybe a Sonic Cycle reference or two.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby linebyline » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:23 pm

akessel92 wrote:Wait. If Naugus is a troll and there was a troll civilization. There would be troll.... Women... :shock: :shock: :shock:

It's true, you don't see many troll women. In fact, they're so alike in voice and appearance that they're often mistaken for troll men.

(It's the beards.)

yes I know it's not an exact quote leave me alone

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:I just hope that he hassles Sonic about his newer adventures not being as good as his older ones and the color of his eyes and all his lousy friends.

I like this idea. It risks getting a little to close to Superboy Prime if done wrong, but with a little care it could be pretty fun.
linebyline
BumbleKnight

Postby Axel T Rat » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:25 pm

Along with the Walter name I am very mixed about this, but I guess the Troll deal is to simplify that Naugas was originally a composite of different species. Heck I don't think SATAM in particular listed what he was. I just hope that Naugas doesn't become more of a joke and still remains somewhat of a threat.
Axel T Rat
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:10 pm

In SatAM, early development documents had him named "Ixis," but he was called "Naugus" in the final script of the one episode he was in.

During the Bollers/Gabrie era, he was introduced as "Ixis Naugus," and there were allusions to the Ancient Order of Ixis. During the Flynn/Pellerito run, this was expounded upon that "Ixis" was both a title and the name of the organization. Obviously, post-reboot, we can't continue on that approach.

The terms "Ixis" and "Naugus," however, are both SatAM in origin and thus safe to use. I have long-term plans for was "Ixis" is now (extremely long-term - as in who know if/when that'll see print). As for Walter Naugus, the reasoning behind the naming was two-fold. First, it was to make it clear we were in a new continuity. Secondly, it will have some alliteration with his other family member(s) (pending editorial approval).

It was not, in any way, shape or form, meant to reference Wally West/Flash. And the fact it happened on STH#252, prompting a lot of fans to call it "nu252," was 100% coincidence. We were too busy wrapping up "Worlds Collide" and plotting out the future to worry about any "cute" nods like that.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius