Ask Ian - Year End Bonanza Thingie

The general forum for talk about all things BumbleKingy!

Re: Ask Ian - Year End Bonanza Thingie

Postby BlueBlur62391 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:34 am

Ryannumber1gamer wrote:I think Ian was only talking about the main series. If that was the case, Fighters wouldn't be getting an arc because it would already have happened in the canon.
Ian said Free Riders was canon, but the Sonic Riders games are spin-offs...
Ryannumber1gamer wrote:On another note, I'd love a Wacky Racers styled arc based on Sonic R.
There's that upcoming "Everybody's Super Sonic Racing" story in Sonic Boom.
Mavrickindigo wrote:I think its a real missed opportunity to have Generations and 06 already happen, since the comic hasn't touched them yet.
I would love to see the latter adapted...with the plot fixed and the interspecies romance toned down excessively.
BlueBlur62391
BumbleNoble

Postby squeakyboots13 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:34 am

BlueBlur62391 wrote:
Mavrickindigo wrote:I think its a real missed opportunity to have Generations and 06 already happen, since the comic hasn't touched them yet.
I would love to see the latter adapted...with the plot fixed and the interspecies romance toned down excessively.

I honestly kinda want to see Mephiles show up somehow, though it probably wouldn't be necessary with Eclipse already here.
squeakyboots13
BumbleCult

Postby Ian Flynn » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:09 pm

Alrighty, cutting it off. I'll try to get the answers up in a timely fashion. The new year starts off with me pretty slammed, so your patience is appreciated.

EDIT: 91 questions and a nearly 20 page script. Oi.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Ian Flynn » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:21 pm

Right, so… it’s been three months. How ‘bout some answers?

#1: Have you ever fully dressed as a character. Pics or it didn’t count.

No. I’ve briefly considered putting together a Dr. Eggman cosplay for the cons, but I’m trying to find encouragement to lose weight, not keep it.

#2: What kind of limits are there on the Black Arms' ability to grow customized soldiers at will? Black Death grew Eclipse in a matter of months with seeming little effort, so why didn't Doom just make ten Shadows by himself and not bother with Gerald?

It would appear to be pretty limited. Whatever it was that Gerald used from his ultimate lifeform project to modify the Black Arms DNA must’ve been unique enough or complex enough that Black Doom couldn’t replicate it on the Black Comet. Eclipse is, in essence, a cheap bootleg of Shadow.

#3 What do Chaos 3 and 5 look like?

I dunno, but I figure they’d continue the trend of devolving into less humanoid forms. I always thought it’d be neat if Chaos 3 was like a snake to link the burly-armed Chaos 2 to the fish-like Chaos 4. I’m not sure what would really fit between fishy-4 and froggy-6.

#4 Since almost every official profile for Shadow says he has the same speed and agility as Sonic, how does this apply to the comic/what is your interpretation of this?

It varies from game to game – it’s trying to apply fourteen years of game balance across multiple game types to a regular narrative, and that just ain’t gonna work.

With the shoes, Shadow’s on par with Sonic. Without them, he’s still faster than pretty much anyone else out there. But in the end, Sonic is the fastest in terms of raw, natural speed. At least, that’s how I’m approaching it.

#5 Will there be more villains independent of Eggman and his Empire?

Slowly but surely. We’ve barely seen hints of half the Egg Army, and not really had a chance to follow up on Naugus or get into the Deadly Six.

#6 Did Relic and Eclipse exist in the old universe?

No. They’re exclusive to the new universe, and help define it as a wholly new direction.

#5 Are there any plot ideas and such from the old continuity that you would maybe be able to rework for the new one?

Not really, no. Anything I’d want to port over would have to be so heavily reworked to fit the new mold, I might as well create something new. You’ll see what I had planned in Lost Hedgehog Tales which…. is coming. Eventually. I promise.

#6 Can you provide a solid explanation for the state of Blaze's world in Pirate Plunder Panic?

Blaze’s World was in the process of being chewed on by the Super Genesis Wave – about the only interdimensional thing not utterly wiped out. Time and space got fuzzy, resulting in things like the Egg-of-War.

#7 How would certain aspects of Sonic Generations play out in this world given that Unleashed hadn't happened yet

Time travel. So instead of going back in time to Spagonia, Sonic goes forward in time.

#8 The Worlds Collide reality: is it the same timeline that Genesis took place in? If not, was Sonic familiar with the SatAM cast in that reality?

No, but “Genesis” did happen in a similar way, as in it was caused by the first Genesis Wave. It’s just that the circumstances were different. One of these days I’ll get to present the new time line. One of these days…

#9 What would be the likelihood of a Sonic Universe-esque counterpart to the Mega Man comics?

As of this post? Not likely, unfortunately. The book is doing reasonably well, but not enough to warrant the costs of licensing the other Mega Man universes and producing another monthly book. If you want an X book, or a Legends books, or an “everything that isn’t Classic” book, the current comic’s sales have to increase significantly and stay high.

#10 Since a writer from the Boom TV series will be writing coming stories for the comic, would you write stories for the TV series if given the opportunity?

PLEASE. YES PLEASE.

#11a Of all the MegaMan games not adapted yet, which ones are you looking forward to and/or dreading to adapt into comic format?

I’m really chomping at the bit to get to Mega Man 4. I’ve got big plans for Quint, the Stardroids invasion will be cool, but for me Mega Man 4 has the most interesting story. And given where the characters are in their comic lives, it’ll be interesting to see how they deal with certain crossroards. I’ve literally been laying the groundwork for this since “Spiritus ex Machina.”

#11b Or on the opposite end, which of the games covered so far have you found the easiest or hardest to adapt?

I guess Mega Man 2, since the overall structure was so similar to Mega Man 1, and having the Robot Masters built to be weapons rather than being converted from domestic use wasn’t as compelling as I initially thought it would be. It still came out pretty good, tho’.

#12 How far ahead did you guys at Archie plan on including Sonic Boom and Mega Man X in Worlds Unite?

From the beginning, because we didn’t know if it’d be approved and we needed time to rework the pitch if we couldn’t use Boom. Sega had a few rules about what we can and can’t do for the crossover, but we were cleared to include the franchise.

#13 What do you do on your down time?

Down… time? The fabled “non-work time?”

If I’ve got some time to myself, I usually play videogames. I’ve got a rather monstrous blacklog right now. That, or I plot out more writing projects because that’s just what I do, apparently.

#14 Did you have any old theories about/expectations of the Boom 'verse before you started work on the comic?

Nope. I entered into it expecting a different form of Sonic, and that’s what I got. I guess it’s funnier than I anticipated, but that’s hardly a bad thing. Note that my expectations and reaction were formed many months before yours – insider info and all that. Neener-neener. ;)

#15 How much of the AoStH cast do you plan on importing into Archie?

Not very much. There’s a handful I’m introducing or plan on introducing, retooled so they actually fit within the modern Sonic universe. But so many of them were one-offs, or so far off the mark in terms of the franchise, I think the time and energy needed to convert them would be better spent creating new material.

#16 if you could give any character or team their own book like Knuckles's from back in the day, who would it be?

In terms of story potential and marketability? I think something like “Shadow and the Agents of GUN” would be able to carry its own weight. I’d love a Freedom Fighter exclusive book, but there’s no market for that, sadly.

#17 Is this a question?

You cheeky little…

#18 Do you sell scripts?

I wish I could – it’d be a great source of revenue and I know there’s collectors out there who’d enjoy it. Unfortunately, all of my scripts are bought by Archie for their exclusive use.

#19 I'm genuinely curious if you had a chance to do a Power Rangers comic book what would you do with it? Assuming Saban would be willing for anything.

Oh man! If I could take a crack at a reboot approach? I’d love to take a look at Jason’s team as actual teenagers and world-build a bit with Rita and her goons. I wouldn’t want to do a “grim reimagining” – it’s a tired approach, and it runs counter to the very essence of the series. I would like to do it as something less campy, though.

#20 Will there be any new major female villains, whether tied to Eggman's forces or not?

We’ll definitely be seeing more female Egg Bosses, and I’m sure we’ll get some stand-alone female villains down the line. The new universe is still very, very young.

#21 Can we assume that reptiles in the post-reboot world are more dispersed amongst the population than before? Does the same hold true for insects?

Unless the games find a way to contradict me, I think we can assume mobians of all species are mixed together. There aren’t species-centric enclaves tucked here or there anymore. Walk down the street and you’re just as likely as to see a crocodile as a hedgehog or a human.

#22 in the near or far away future... will be a Megaman Legend comic series?

What I would love to do is tell the entire Mega Man timeline. Classic to X, the Elf Wars, Zero, ZX, Legends and get Volnutt off the moon. I’d love to fill in all the gaps. Right now that looks like it’s well outside of my reach, but then again, I never thought we’d be getting a Mega Man book. So who knows?

#23 Sonic really likes chilly dogs, what are some of the other characters favorite foods?

Tails - I’d imagine he’s into that gastronomy cooking, but when it goes wrong he’s good with a PB&J. Officially, he loves mint candy.

Rotor is a meat-and-potatoes type of guy, heavy on the fish. He he’s fuelled by coffee. Forget “Boomer,” his nickname ought to be “Java.”

Antoine is all about fine cuisine. I’m sure he makes a fantastic crepe, and woe be unto you if you mess it up.

Bunnie is definitely more of a comfort food type, but she makes good comfort food. I can see her enjoying a bowl of chili with some homemade biscuits.

(side note: Antoine and Bunnie have an unspoken rule in their marriage: they stay out of each other’s way in the kitchen. There’s too much passion and pride to their cooking)

Amy is all about the sweets. Not that she’s into junk food – a treat here and there is fine. But if it’s pancakes, they’re gonna be drenched in syrup. And ice cream – she loves ice cream.

Cream is a grazer. She loves lots of little healthy snacks all the time. That said, she shares Amy’s love for ice cream. And she certainly doesn’t mind helping her mother with all the baked goods she’s always preparing.

Sally usually sticks to a salad with nuts. It’s about the only thing she can prepare that’s edible.

And Big obviously enjoys fish.
Spoiler: show
AS WELL AS YOUR MORTAL SOUL

#24 Do mixed animal characters exist?

I’m hesitant to introduce hybrids into the series since there’s so many different species and there doesn’t seem to be a solid template to work from in the games. There’s an obscure bit of trivia saying that Nack is a wolf-weasel, but that’s about it. Plus, Nack seems to have fallen into the pit of no return known as the Classic Era Characters, so he may not be canon to the Modern Era. So… I don’t know. I don’t think we’ll go that route.

#25 what would be one you would like to write for if you migrated over to/started moonlighting at IDW?

I would be all over Ninja Turtles in a heartbeat. I’m always up for the challenge of a new franchise or book, but TMNT would be at the top of the list.

#26 What's your thought process when creating new charas?

The first, crucial question: what do they add to the narrative? What is it that they bring to the table the challenges the protagonist, or gives us new insight into them? What do they do that enriches the over all narrative?

That will set the framework from which everything else is built. Are the supposed to be intimidating? Is that in a huge, brutish way or a muted, sinister way? Are they supposed to funny or serious? Do we want them instantly likable, and is that to make them endearing or to set-up a surprise villain turn later on?

In terms of the Sonic books, when picking a species, I try to go off the beaten path. There’s an inordinate number of hedgehogs/foxes/rabbits/wolves out there. Let’s mix it up with some new stuff and educate kids at the same time. Who knows? Maybe I’ll find a place for an aardwolf or a muntjak at some point.

#27 What kind of animal is Tassel Boy? What's his real name anyway?

“Tassel Boy” neither has a name or a species. He wasn’t even supposed to be notably large. All the script called for was for him to be wearing a slightly nicer uniform so it was clear he was the foreman of the instillation – an authority figure for Bunnie to take down for her surprise reveal.

#28 Would you rather write for a diligent henchman (more like Thunderbolt), an obligated henchman (more like Cassia + Clove), a sassy or comedic one (more like Orbot + Cubot), or a tricky one w/ their own agenda? What qualities do you think Eggman prefers?

I’d like to write them all, because they’re all fun and they’re all different. As for Eggman, I think he likewise enjoys the variety. He’s well aware of the potential mutiny and anarchy around him, and he enjoys stomping it out as much as he enjoys conquering the world.

#29 Would you say your writing style for the Sonic Boom comic is closer to earlier Archie issues or the Sonic X comic?

It’s very much closer to Sonic X, but with the leash removed. Boom is just carefree fun and I love it.

#30a Did the Super Genesis Wave actually destroy Sonic's multiverse?

Yes.

#30b then how come Blaze's world was seemingly unaffected?

It was affected – it was “waved” too. It wasn’t wiped out because of the power of the Jeweled Scepter.

#31 What sort of general approach do you take to writing your scripts?

The first step is: what is the story I’m trying to tell? The second is: how much space do I have to tell that story? From there… it’s honestly hard to explain. 99% of my writing for the past nine years has been scripting, so it’s become something a of mental muscle memory on how to format and break things down.

I guess the third step, applied throughout the process, is “Am I having fun? Would I read this in my free time? If the answer is yes, then I’m doing something right – I hope.

#32 Out of all of the new characters that you've introduced since the reboot, which do you think is the strongest or most well developed?

It’s still way too early to say anyone is really fleshed out to a huge degree. We’ve got a lot of strong contenders, and a lot of room to grow. I guess Coral has seen the most growth comparatively to anyone, given that her small character arc was the subplot to “Waves of Change.” And Eclipse has already been through a lot in his short time in the books. I also know what Aleah Baker wants to do with Cassia and Clove, and that’s tons of potential right there.

#33 How old is Relic? She seems to be referred to as Madam by Felix, but she looks to be younger than Knuckles.

She’s a little bit older than Knuckles. Don’t let Fixit fool you – any woman is “madam,” and any guy is “sir.” He’s very polite that way.

#34 Any advice for developing characters and writing them consistently?

If you have the opportunity, stage acting would help – I think, at least. Putting yourself in the role of a character and selling the notion that you are that character to a crowd of strangers is quite the mental exercise.

If you’ve got the time, do a character sheet. There’s tons of templates out there, and they cover an exhaustive amount of details. What’s their favourite food or color? What’re their religious beliefs if any? What ruined their tenth birthday party? For a writing exercise, pit them against a character you know well and see how they interact. Are they brawling? Playing poker? Just having a drink? How does their conversation go?

And talk to yourself. A lot. Read the characters out loud. Do your own private radio drama for yourself. If your characters are sounding the same, you’ll hear it. If they’re agreeing on everything, or if you lose track of who is making what point, you’ll know you need more diversity.

#35 What kind of a history do Mighty, Knuckles, and the Chaotix share now?

That’s something we’ll delve into much later on. Suffice to say “Knuckles Chaotix” did happen, and that’s where they all met.*
Spoiler: show
*pending approval and actually seeing print

#36 I'm just wondering why you wanted to use Breezie?

She was one of the few reoccurring characters, and had arguably the most character growth out of a done-in-one slapstick comedy show. I wanted a mid-tier villainous force for the comic, someone with some shades of grey, and I thought she’d serve that purpose pretty well.

#37 Would you be against the idea of fans drawing the Sonic Underground, based on your ideas (from LHT) ?

Once I put my ideas out there, folks are free to interpret them however they like. I just can’t really acknowledge it for risk of looking like I’m officially endorsing it, y’know?

#38 If you had the opportunity to do a Mega Man Battle Network or Mega Man Starforce comic, would you do it?

Yes.

#39 With Archie Comics resetting their main Archie universe next year, do you think you'd be interested in writing any stories for it, should the opportunity arise?

I… guess? I dunno. I’ve done a few regular Archie projects, and I’ve found those to be the most difficult assignments I’ve ever done. I’m much more comfortable writing high-fantasy fiction versus down-to-earth fiction.

#40 are there any animal types you're steering clear of based on them being used a lot in the past?

As I said earlier, I’d like to steer clear of hedgehogs, foxes, rabbits and wolves since they seem to have an overwhelming presence in the fandom and in the franchise itself. That and echidnas, since Knuckles is the last of his kind.

And before someone corrects me: that’s the official line from SEGA. I know better, you know better, but that’s how it is.

#41 who is your favorite sonic's character and megaman character ?

It’s really hard to pick. Knuckles was my first real favourite Sonic character. And I guess Proto Man has been the most fun to torture – er, explore – when writing Mega Man.

#42 What do you think about France and French people ?

I’ve never been to France, and I don’t really know that many French people. They are just like anyone else…?

#43 Will we see any female villains in Mega Man besides Splash Woman and... that Emerald Spears lady?

Simone. And yes/maybe– we’ve got to see what Capcom approves. I definitely have one villainess coming up, and at least two new female Robot Masters, one of which would be villainous.

#44 - If my memory's accurate, you said you couldn't adapt Rockman and Forte: Challenger of the Future...but hints of a future adaptation were already put in Rock of Ages. Without spoiling anything, do you have any plans regarding this?

Correct – we can’t use Rockman Shadow or his cadre of Robot Masters. But we can use Quint, who is, for all intents and purposes, basically Rockman Shadow. And we can make up our own Robot Masters. And I did say I had big plans for Quint…

#45 How do you plan to balance the ever-growing Mega Man cast?

Everyone has a job and a place. It shouldn’t be too difficult to keep things manageable.

#46 What is the process for coming up with personalities for each Robot Master?

I look up every tiny bit of trivia I can for any quirks they’re supposed to have. After that, I look at the stages and at the boss fights themselves. From all that I work out their individual personalities.

#47 What would your personal dream/perfect Sonic game be?

Something akin to Colors or Generations, with the myriad of friends being power-ups or ways to access new paths. For example, you play through Zone One and rescue Tails at the end. Now you can go through Zone One again, take a detour to the now unlocked “Tails Path” and fly across a gap, cutting down your time, grabbing a Red Ring, or whatever. Have some mini-games on the side where you play exclusively as the other friends for extra challenges. AND BRING BACK THE CHAO GARDEN.

#48 In light of the news of a Sonic Sony film series, what would you consider to be the best way to approach a live action Sonic film?

To… not do a live action film.

#49 What currency is used in Archie Sonic?

There’s a few. The Kingdom of Acorn, which holds a lot of influence outside of its immediate island territories, deals in mobiums.

The United Federation, which is made up of numerous nations around the worlds, deals in dollars.

And the Eggman Empire has EggBucks, but nobody trades with them really, so they’re worthless. There’s a warehouse somewhere piled high with useless EggBucks.

#50 has Relic met anyone other than Knuckles while on Angel Island?

Fixit, but that’s about it.

#51 What has Knuckles done about guarding the Master Emerald on those occasions when he's had to leave?

After SA2, Knuckles began to realize he needed to be more proactive in dealing with threats outside of his island – hence his involvement in Heroes and Shadow’s game. That said, he was always nervous about it. “The Great Chaotix Caper” was the first time he tried to have someone else watch the Master Emerald.

#52 are there any immidate plans on introducing Scorpion Troop (SA2) or Mantis Platoon (SHtH)?

No pressing need, but they’re around.

#53 Any plans to introduce other non-Wily villians into Megaman's rogue gallery?

Aside from the Emerald Spears? You bet’cha. Had a hint of them years ago.

#54 What era of Zelda do you think is best suited to sustain an ongoing comic?

Hard to say. Some of the games would make for better comics than others. Personally, I think the better approach would be to do an original story. The games don’t really rely on each other that heavily, so treat the original comic as part of the sprawling divergent timeline.

#55 Could the Jackal bikers from Sat A.M. still be used in the new continuity?

They were hyenas, and… eh, maybe? I guess they’re available, but I don’t think we’ll incorporate them.

#56 I know you like planning storylines out way in advance. Was the announcement of World's Unite a big shake up for you or were you able to handle it better thanks to the first crossover?

I had a bit more forewarning this time. Thankfully, all the titles will be at a nice breaking point once we reach the crossover and be primed to launch into their next big arcs after the crossover. Obviously it interrupts the “Shattered World Crisis,” but that wasn’t due to end any time soon.

#57 It's been a rollercoaster since the reboot, are you happy with how things have progressed so far?

Yeah. Yeah, I am. And while I’m proud of my previous work, I don’t think I’d want to go back. I like what we’ve got going for us now.

#58 Will we be getting more "breather" stories in either Sonic or Mega Man, where as the action is put on hold for an issue?

There will be smaller stories leading up to Worlds Unite. Mega Man #49 will be an especially emotional issue.

#59 Tell me what Canada is to you

Home, eh?

#60 Chinese food or Sushi?

Oh, Chinese. No question.

#61 How did Shard get his name?

There were TONS of names tossed around by just about everyone involved in the developmental processes. Aleah Baker gets the tip of the hat for suggesting Shard.

#62 How viable is Tiara and her father Gazebo as characters for the book?

Not at all. Because of *sigh* reasons. Don’t get me started. Just… argh.

#63 Do you think Sonia and Manic could work in the book without having ties to Sonic?

Sure, I think a “different” Sonia and Manic would be fun. I also think the fan-outrage would ignite the planet.

#64 If Omega suddenly turned human or mobian (I don't know, maybe it was magic or science or something) what do you think he'd look like?

Hilarious. Seriously tho’ – I dunno. Maybe like a bear or a crab?

#65 Did you retcon the Unknown Soldier 1P cameo from the second issue into Xander?

Yes. I believe that was Paul Kaminski’s idea.

#66 Is it possible we could ever see something like the Archie website blogs return in some format?

I dunno what the situation with those are, but I wish they’d come back. They were a ton of work, but also a lot of fun. And ooooooh the background material I could trot out in those…

#67 Is Rosie still around in the present day of the comic?

Yup. We just haven’t had an opportunity to show her outside of flashbacks.

#68 Are there any plans to explore the multiverse again in the new continuity, or are Blaze and Silver's worlds as far as we'll be going?

Not in the same way as the old continuity, but “Worlds Unite” will give you an idea of the seemingly endless, grand, abundant universe.

#69 What gaming systems have you owned throughout your life?

My dad had an Atari 2600, which I’ll count as the family’s.

SEGA: Genesis, Nomad, Dreamcast

Nintendo: Gameboy (brick), Gameboy Pocket (clear), GBA, DS, 3DS, N64, Gamecube, Wii and Wii U.

Sony: PS2, PS3, PSP.

Microsoft: Xbox 360.

#70 Do you recall what type of bird you intended Ixis Vale to be as depicted in Secret Freedom?

A crow maybe? I honestly don’t recall. She was going to be a master of wind magic, tho’. I remember that.

#71 are there any other games you would say haven't taken place in the new continuity?

I think it’s safe to assume Sonic School House isn’t cannon. Or the Drift series

#72 Have you played any of the various Mega Man games?

I have tried all of them at some point or another. I suck at them. Like… it’s embarrassing how bad I am at Mega Man games.

#73 If you were given a chance to write for Marvel and/or DC, which character would you most want to write for?

I dunno… I grew up on X-Men, so I guess I’d like to give them a shot. I’ve got a pitch for revamping the Prowler hiding in my harddrive somewhere. As for DC, I don’t know what they’ve done with him since the Nu52, but I’d like to take a shot at Martian Manhunter, or play around in the Green Lantern universe.

#74 When will you introduce *insert pairing here* into the comic!?

I do not launch ships. I do not sink ships. I am not even on the coast.

#75 Do you intend to do any arcs on Sonic spinoffs like Sonic Riders for example?

If the games have already happened in the new time line, I don’t think we’ll get a chance to go back and fully adapt them.

#76 Will comic characters like Tempo and Sally appear in Worlds Unite?

Yep. Which ones, though?

#77 If you could choose one other non-Sega game franchise to write a comic about, what would it be?

Choose… one? “Worlds Unite” will give you a pretty good list, although I’d be all over most of the Capcom franchises. (Seriously, any excuse to write Frank West!) Just about anything by Nintendo would be golden. If it’s got a nugget of a plot, I’d take a crack at it.

#78 Have there ever been any little tid-bits, references, or little shout outs you've made in your writing that no one seemed to pick up on when it came out, but you would like people to know about?

All the time. Like in “Waves of Change,” very few seemed to pick up on the significance of the chao types. At least as far as I saw.

#79 If you were able to write a Skies of Arcadia comic, how would you go about writing it?

It all depends on the project. If it was a retelling of the story, I’d be faithful to the story beats while not dwelling too much on the dungeons, working in the subquest stuff as best I could without throwing off the main narrative. It would also depend on the limitations of the project. Egad, if I had unlimited pages….

*ahem* I’d also love to write a sequel to the series, pick up after a time jump to see where everyone is. Ooooooh the ideas I have squirreled away….

#80 will we see more unique pairings with the cast in future stories?

It’s something I’m going to try to concentrate on post-crossover.

#81 Were there any characters you created that had a different name or codename when you were in the process of creating them?

Sometimes there are place-holders names, but usually when I pitch something, I’ve got most of the details ready to go.

#82 Will we be getting more info on Silver's current status in the new continuity soon?

Oh, you’ll be seeing lots of Silver pretty soon. And not all of it written by me…

#83 Do you have a relative period or issue number set in your mind of when you plan to deal with the rest of the Mega Man game adaptations after 3?

I’ve got the entire series mapped out through Mega Man 10. I… I like to plan ahead.

#84 In the future, can we expect more scenes or moments in the main book between Rock and Tempo? Or just Quake Woman in general?

Tempo exists as a counterpoint to Rock, so we’ll definitely see them interact again at some point. But she’s also proven to have a lot of interesting potential playing off Blues…

#85 Are you planning on introducing anymore original characters to the Mega Man series?

Here and there, yeah, but not too many. Like any new element, they need to add something to the series that doesn’t already exist, or help bolster what’s there.

#86 Is it a challenge keeping the Boom Sonic cast separate from the Archie Sonic cast?

Not at all. They’re different enough, and the tone of the series is different enough, that they feel comfortably removed from the main series. The only real challenge has been finding a voice for Boom!Amy. The first few issues are more in line with her snarkier, meaner-to-Knuckles game characterization. It’s been a bit of a challenge to reconcile that with the softer spoken, randomly wacky cartoon version.

#87 Hypothetical situation: what would happen if Bean meets Sticks?

The world randomly transforms into a tea kettle. A SHINY tea kettle.

#88 To date, what has been your favorite issue to write?

That’s casting a pretty broad net. I think “Order from Chaos” and “Thicker than Water” were two of the best stories we’ve ever produced. “Worlds Collide” was one giant party to write. And pretty much any Blues-centric story – “Proto-Type” and his scenes with Tempo – came our really well.

#89 will we see any development or backstory for the Hooligans?

I think we can delve into them a bit more than your average Sega character. I’d really like to explore their dynamics a bit more on a personal level – not just as the mooks causing trouble.

#90 Will we ever see the return of the Battle Bird Armada?

I plan to!

#91 If "all games minus Unleashed, Chronicles and Lost World" are canon to the main comic continuity, that includes Sonic '06 and Sonic R, right?

I probably shouldn’t have said that, seeing how many people bring up every obscure or side-game. Sonic ’06 happened – it neatly wrote itself out of continuity. Sonic R is not part of the new continuity.

And that’s it! Finally caught up on one side-project. On to the next…
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Xeric » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:43 pm

Ian Flynn wrote: #62 How viable is Tiara and her father Gazebo as characters for the book?

Not at all. Because of *sigh* reasons. Don’t get me started. Just… argh.

Well, that isn't at all depressing. I'm guessing you can't elaborate on why? I'm guessing it's the same issue that Honey had prior to actually being playable in the rerelease of StF?
Last edited by Xeric on Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Xeric
BumbleKnight

Postby Zanoss » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:54 pm

wow, thanks for your answer Ian, it was really nice of you ^^
So can we ask you other question right now ?
Zanoss
BumbleNewbie

Postby Ian Flynn » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:08 pm

Zanoss wrote:wow, thanks for your answer Ian, it was really nice of you ^^
So can we ask you other question right now ?

No, not right now. I just opened up the thread again for discussion of the answers. I really got to focus on other stuff right now.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Meliden » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:24 pm

Lots and lot of interesting things there. A nice read if I may say so.

And you can't fool me with that ship talk. I know you have a fleet of tanks somewhere in case Dubs gets out of line.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Betz! » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:32 pm

Ian Flynn wrote: #17 Is this a question?

You cheeky little…

#18 Do you sell scripts?

I wish I could – it’d be a great source of revenue and I know there’s collectors out there who’d enjoy it. Unfortunately, all of my scripts are bought by Archie for their exclusive use.

#17: :(hearty laughter):
#18: Ah. Could we buy it from them then?
Betz!
BumbleKnight

Postby TheFatPanda » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:49 pm

Now with some of the more recent issue that have come out since there's another question I'm dying to ask, but I'm guessing it's too late now?

Anyway, thanks for the answers Ian :)
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby Sparky » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:52 pm

I just want to say that I'm pretty sure Shadow is meant to be as fast as Sonic even without his shoes. Otherwise, he wouldn't really be the kind of character he is supposed to be. I mean, even in at least most of the official profiles (game-wise, I mean), the way it's worded usually says or implies that Shadow's speed is all natural, and he's literally just like Sonic in terms of abilities.

Edit: I, uh... also noticed you skipped my question regarding the ages of the Freedom Fighters. I mean, it doesn't really matter. It's cool. There was probably a lot of questions you didn't answer.
Sparky
BumbleNoble

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:59 pm

Ian Flynn wrote: #19 I'm genuinely curious if you had a chance to do a Power Rangers comic book what would you do with it? Assuming Saban would be willing for anything.

Oh man! If I could take a crack at a reboot approach? I’d love to take a look at Jason’s team as actual teenagers and world-build a bit with Rita and her goons. I wouldn’t want to do a “grim reimagining” – it’s a tired approach, and it runs counter to the very essence of the series. I would like to do it as something less campy, though.

Kinda what I expected. I'd say something similar to Dino Thunder but with the MMPR cast would be a fantastic way of rebooting the series.

#25 what would be one you would like to write for if you migrated over to/started moonlighting at IDW?

I would be all over Ninja Turtles in a heartbeat. I’m always up for the challenge of a new franchise or book, but TMNT would be at the top of the list.

Again basically what I thought. Good thing about that is if you've got an idea for TMNT IDW does companion miniseries for every arc. Or I guess the TMNT New Animated Adventures series based on the (Awesome) Nick cartoon would be great too. Or both. :P
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Scruffy » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:34 pm

Thanks for the answers, Ian, I enjoyed the read and appreciated that you got to my questions. :)
Ian Flynn wrote: #77 If you could choose one other non-Sega game franchise to write a comic about, what would it be?

Choose… one? “Worlds Unite” will give you a pretty good list, although I’d be all over most of the Capcom franchises. (Seriously, any excuse to write Frank West!) Just about anything by Nintendo would be golden. If it’s got a nugget of a plot, I’d take a crack at it.

Now THAT made my day. Oh please, please PLEASE let Frank be part of Worlds Unite... :(hearty laughter):
Scruffy
BumbleClan

Postby squeakyboots13 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:58 pm

Sonic's School House isn't canon? Aw shucks!

Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions. Some of them were very insightful in understanding how the new canon works.
squeakyboots13
BumbleCult

Postby ShadowBat20 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:59 pm

Oh my gosh, Ian, THE PROWLER?! He's been a favorite of mine ever since I first saw him in the 90's Spider-Man cartoon. A Prowler book written by you would be awesome!...Though, at this point, I would just like to see him back in general. :P

I'm also really interested in the female villains for Mega Man...excited for that.

Very fun read, thanks for answering. :)
ShadowBat20
BumbleClan

PreviousNext

Return to The BumbleKourt