SU#54 - Spoilers & Discussion (WWC 11/12)

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: SU#54 - Spoilers & Discussion (WWC 11/12)

Postby Ian Flynn » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:26 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote:-No Bass/Metal fusion! You even hint at it in the off-panel. What happened? Did SEGA or Capcom (or both) tell you not to do it? Or did you not want to write it in? If not, why? This would have been so amazing to see and such a crossover-worthy thing for them to fight.

Actually, yeah, in the first draft there was a Metal Bass fusion fight. I can't remember who killed it, SEGA, Capcom or both, but it was the only idea that was rejected.

As for how it would work: Drs. Eggman and Wily are robotics geniuses. They could adapt the Super Adapter. The fight would've gone fairly similarly, just with Metal Bass being a desperation move right as our heroes started to gain the upper hand. Ah well, it still came together nicely.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby The KKM » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:48 pm

I think it would've been a bit of clutter even, better off like this.
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby lalalei2001 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:31 pm

Ian Flynn wrote:
Mavrickindigo wrote:-No Bass/Metal fusion! You even hint at it in the off-panel. What happened? Did SEGA or Capcom (or both) tell you not to do it? Or did you not want to write it in? If not, why? This would have been so amazing to see and such a crossover-worthy thing for them to fight.

Actually, yeah, in the first draft there was a Metal Bass fusion fight. I can't remember who killed it, SEGA, Capcom or both, but it was the only idea that was rejected.

As for how it would work: Drs. Eggman and Wily are robotics geniuses. They could adapt the Super Adapter. The fight would've gone fairly similarly, just with Metal Bass being a desperation move right as our heroes started to gain the upper hand. Ah well, it still came together nicely.

But WHY would that have been put in? :\
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby squeakyboots13 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:32 pm

Ian Flynn wrote:Actually, yeah, in the first draft there was a Metal Bass fusion fight. I can't remember who killed it, SEGA, Capcom or both, but it was the only idea that was rejected.

I'm honestly fine without it. That concept just sounds too weird to me.
squeakyboots13
BumbleCult

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:27 am

I can totally imagine it; Bass with claws and spikes all over... sort of like a Mega Man version of the Shredder or something.

Or like Absolute Zero, if we throw Treble in there.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Meliden » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:13 am

Whoever nipped it in the bud was wise to do so, in my brutally honest opinion.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby SonicSoul » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:30 am

Yeah, I'd rather have both rivals be fought individually just to show off how powerful each one is than have them combine into one "OMG Fusion Dance" especially after we saw how dangerous Metal is on his own in SU #50. Having Metal be another support unit instead of actually showing how long he can last a fight with Sonic would be a huge waste IMO.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:11 am

Honestly the fight was just fine as it was and Metal Bass would have been unneeded had it been used.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Penguin God » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:53 pm

I'd actually like to see it. The fight was perfect, it ended up unnecessary and I guess it's a little weird. But I can see the idea behind it, and I want to see at least a concept sketch of it.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Ian Flynn » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:10 pm

lalalei2001 wrote:But WHY would that have been put in? :\

Because killer rival robot + killer rival robot = awesome looking super killer rival robot. Of doom.

They've both had a history of fusions. Bass and Treble via the Super Adapter, and (Neo) Metal Sonic taking on the bio-data of Sonic/Shadow/Chaos. They've both experienced that taking on powerful beings' properties make them stronger, so it made sense to me.

It wouldn't have been "Metal Sonic is support to Bass." If Bass gets amped up on just Treble, imagine what he'd be like with a superior, full-blown rival-to-the-main-protagonist robot. One is not a tool of the other.

I dunno - I thought it'd be over-the-top fun. But since we couldn't do that, I came up with Chaos Devil instead, and that's worked out pretty well.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby MetaL Overlord » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:42 am

So....would the fusion have looked like this??
MetaL Overlord
BumbleNoble

Postby SonicSoul » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:28 am

I can understand the desire to do it in that the limited possibility of a crossover like this may not happen again (unless both Sega and Capcom give permission or if it sold very well). But for the most part, it wasn't really necessary besides the fantasy of "have two powerful rivals combine into one scary tough one" sthick, when it's more for the better to just have the two rivals do what they do best and show us why they can be a force to be reckoned with on their own and what they each have at their disposal.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby Mavrickindigo » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:44 am

SonicSoul wrote:better to just have the two rivals do what they do best and show us why they can be a force to be reckoned with on their own

Thing is, we've seen that with Metal Sonic. In fact the issue right before the crossover was showing how powerful Metal Sonic had become after gathering the data of all of its failures.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby SonicSoul » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:48 am

Mavrickindigo wrote:
SonicSoul wrote:better to just have the two rivals do what they do best and show us why they can be a force to be reckoned with on their own

Thing is, we've seen that with Metal Sonic. In fact the issue right before the crossover was showing how powerful Metal Sonic had become after gathering the data of all of its failures.

Which only made me want to see more of Metal and how he'd fair against Sonic or someone else unaware of how much of an upgrade he is compared to past models. Having him fuse with Bass would not have been a good showcase for this and that both are more than capable of fighting by their own accord.

I'll just stop with this in that, it may have been a nifty idea during brainstorming and that it was a pretty big "we gotta do this!' thing since who knows when something like this would happen again, but it's ultimately unnecessary and there are other ways to make a good 'hero VS dark rival' fight without doing a 'fuse 'em together' when we already got the Skull Egg Zone, Chaos Devil, and the Death Egg-Wily Robot as combos. Just because we've had a lot of fusions in this crossover so far doesn't mean it should apply to everything or character.
Last edited by SonicSoul on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby Shadowthehedgehog » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:57 am

That said, I am glad Metal Sonic was actually a formidable foe this time around. Smacking Sonic during his taunting and even giving Mega Man some trouble. Now let's keep him this way, and have not get blown up all the time.
Shadowthehedgehog
BumbleKnight

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius