SU#50 - Spoilers and Discussion

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

SU#50 - Spoilers and Discussion

Postby Ian Flynn » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:43 pm

Y'all know the drill.

A point I'd like to make from the get-go: SEGA was very direct in how they wanted Metal Sonic portrayed.

I originally was going to move Metal Sonic in the direction the fans have been asking: more character, more menace, more dialogue. However, SEGA's notes were to move him right back to the soulless, nearly mute version.

I'm putting this out there because I was going to cater to the fans. I heard you, I did, and I was going to act accordingly. But it's a licensed book, and I've got to portray the licensed characters as the license holder dictates.

So - sorry, gang. My hands are tied. Cold, menacing Metal Sonic is here to stay.

(I'll try to do something about the rotating door of Metal Sonic destruction, tho'!)
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Re: SU#50 - Spoilers and Discussion

Postby SimonSays » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:53 pm

Well, the menacing part was the important part- for me anyway. As long as he's scary, he doesn't have to talk or think at all. I've always pictured him being based on the Terminator and T2 (the OVA did not help against this association), and just being the thing that will wreck your stuff and will never leave you alone ever.

I was a terrible person and spoiled myself, but it sounds like this issue did a pretty great job of doing just that- making Metal kind of terrifying again. I'm really stoked to actually get to read the issue first-hand now. I got the willies just from reading the synopsis. I hope this Metal sticks around indefinitely. Can we keep him? Ohhh can we?
SimonSays
BumbleNoble

Postby Sockie » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:56 pm

Huh, the summary I read made it sound like he did get a fair bit of dialogue and characterization in this issue. Did he actually not say that much, or...?
Sockie
BumbleNoble

Postby Dejimon11 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:05 am

eggman said:"You're going to meet your new partner. A BASE villain like yourself! You'll like him!" gee i wonder who that is
Dejimon11
BumbleNoble

Postby The Shadow Emperor » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:07 am

Dejimon11 wrote:eggman said:"You're going to meet your new partner. A BASE villain like yourself! You'll like him!" gee i wonder who that is

I have no idea.

Really, I don't. My Mega Man subscription hasn't quite started yet.
The Shadow Emperor

Postby Tcat » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:08 am

Is there anyway to get preview pages (re)posted or linked to in the first post of spoiler threads? I had no idea this issue was even out yet and I haven't seen any of the previews for a few months now....
Tcat
BumbleClan

Postby Dejimon11 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:11 am

Tcat wrote:Is there anyway to get preview pages (re)posted or linked to in the first post of spoiler threads? I had no idea this issue was even out yet and I haven't seen any of the previews for a few months now....

it hits comic stores on the 20th subscribers get it 2 weeks earlier
Dejimon11
BumbleNoble

Postby NxtWaltDisney » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:38 am

Good thing I did the crossover sub package. I DO NOT want to miss this!
:shock:
NxtWaltDisney
BumbleClan

Postby Spin » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:42 am

First off. The Sonic CD adaption is not the whole thing. It's just part 3 and part 4.

Now where to begin. This issue was a dozy. And I dare say it was good enough to make me forgive any ill feelings I may have had for Archie postposing the Sonic Underground issue. Reading Ian's post regarding Metal Sonic. Now that he mentions it, Metal Sonic did act very stiff. But at least he was talking. Over all, I'm pleased with this. And while I'm still not expecting much in the way of our new Metal Sonic given past history. Hearing how Ian was going to do more with Metal Sonic bums me out. But from the sound of it, at least Ian is going to push Metal Sonic as far as he can.

Now onto the spoilers for the issue. This time it's a bit longer.

We get a bit of a flashback of #240 from Shard's POV.

At Eggman's Lab. Footage of Shard holding the destroyed Metal Sonic head from that battle makes it's way to Eggman present with Orbot, Cubot, Mecha Sally, and a nearly completed Metal Sonic.

Eggman wises up and decides the new model needs to be free thinking along with giving him the ability to recount the past history of all the Metal Sonics. Cubot fetches a power gem, the last one Eggman owns. And inserts the gem into Metal Sonic. Newly dubbed Metal Sonic 3.7 is sentient and able to talk. Though unhappy with all his models past failures and has a strong overpowering desire to destroy Sonic.

Eggman shows him an image of Shard instead and says he is Metal Sonic's target. Metal Sonic refuses only wanting to destroy Sonic. Eggman activates a defiance kill switch and Metal Sonic starts to obey, leaving Eggman pondering why he didn't do this with the original, Gamma, Omega, or even try to install it in Snively.

At the Tornado, Sonic is in deep thought worrying about Knuckles and thinking back on Shard. He has conflicted feelings about Shard worrying that the robot has too much power for someone trying to find his place in world.

At New Mobotropolis in the Secret HQ. Shard is in the mainframe playing digital chess with Nicole. Though is blasting the chess pieces. Nicole beats Shard in the game and asks him why he's spending his time with her in the network instead of in the real world.

Shard expresses his doubts as his job as a Secret Freedom Figher and his past as a Mecha Sonic isolates him from others. Nicole argues that she has made new progress in being almost fully accepted by the city again after the Iron Dominion arc, which Shard counters that she had the support of her friends, the Freedom Fighters who was able to look out for her. Nicole argues Sonic could easily speak up for him too. Only to receive a warning about an attack on the city. She reports it's Metal Sonic in the hospital and that she sent out a message to Team Freedom.

Shard wastes no time and heads off to the hospital to find Metal Sonic holding an unconscious Antoine by the shirt. Metal Sonic makes a comment about how he wishes to finish off Antoine once and for all. Shard talks Metal Sonic into dropping Antoine and just having a fight with just the two of them.

Metal Sonic takes Shard to the Great Waste to have their showdown. Metal Sonic and Shard exchange a few blows. As Shard is powering up his arm cannon. A data flashback of Shadow chucking a rock in Metal Sonic's arm canon is activated and Metal Sonic throws a rock disabling Shard's arm cannon. Shard gets ready to pull off a spin dash, yet another data flashbacks of getting destroyed via spin dash from Sonic enters Metal Sonic. As he sets up a barrier, knocking Shard off balance. Metal Sonic charges at Shard as Shard manages to fire the rock lodged in his arm cannon. A data flashback of Marine firing cannon balls at Metal Sonic plays as Metal Sonic blasts the rock to pieces before it can hit.

Shard is left in a weaken state as Metal Sonic picks him up. Shard tries to talk sense into Metal Sonic about being his own individual. A data flashback of Shadow trying to reason with Metal Sonic from before plays causing Metal Sonic to hesitate, only to ready his claws again to destroy Shard.

Shard realizes he has no choice but to destroy Metal Sonic as he can't escape Eggman's control. Shard with a repaired arm cannon fires at him and tries to drill at Metal Sonic's power gem. Metal Sonic activates a shield briefly to stop him. Shard is prepared to sacrifice himself to destroy them both as he tackles head long into Metal Sonic and tries reach for his power gem core.

Coming to a stop. Metal Sonic comes to the conclusion that Shard's data is stored in his power gem. And overloads his own power gem causing a big explosion. Shard is left in rough shape surviving the explosion but with cracks to his power gem. Shard reports his condition and that Metal Sonic from now on will be a more dangerous threat.

Back at Eggman's Lab. Metal Sonic exits a repair chamber. Eggman compliments him and Metal Sonic questions if he should go back to New Mobotropolis. With Eggman saying he'll leave the city up to Tails Doll and that they will be heading off to Arctic instead. Eggman then goes on to say that Metal Sonic will be paired up with a new partner once they get there. Commenting how he's a base villain that Metal Sonic will like.

Oh, and I forgot to mention. ~Shard has a crush on a certain someone.
Spin
BumbleClan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:24 am

I forget-- can Power Gems heal/repair themselves?

Also, it's a little odd that Metal Sonic is remembering stuff from the one that was destroyed in Blaze's Zone; weren't the remains left there?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby MetaL Overlord » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:03 am

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:I forget-- can Power Gems heal/repair themselves?

Also, it's a little odd that Metal Sonic is remembering stuff from the one that was destroyed in Blaze's Zone; weren't the remains left there?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

I guess Eggman had his Main CPU Linked to his Database in order to get this data
MetaL Overlord
BumbleNoble

Postby Matt7325 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:22 am

Spin wrote:Shard has a crush on a certain someone.

Larry?
Matt7325
BumbleKnight

Postby The KKM » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:09 am

Ian Flynn wrote:Y'all know the drill.

A point I'd like to make from the get-go: SEGA was very direct in how they wanted Metal Sonic portrayed.

I originally was going to move Metal Sonic in the direction the fans have been asking: more character, more menace, more dialogue. However, SEGA's notes were to move him right back to the soulless, nearly mute version.

I'm putting this out there because I was going to cater to the fans. I heard you, I did, and I was going to act accordingly. But it's a licensed book, and I've got to portray the licensed characters as the license holder dictates.

So - sorry, gang. My hands are tied. Cold, menacing Metal Sonic is here to stay.

(I'll try to do something about the rotating door of Metal Sonic destruction, tho'!)

Here's the old adage that fandom is a hivemind- I personally WANT Metal to be menacing, but silent and short of character. A destructing machine. The only problem was the revolving door of destruction.

So in this case, I'm sorry, but In SEGA I Trust.
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby apprentice manta » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:17 am

Spin wrote:Shard has a crush on a certain someone.

Matt7325 wrote:Larry?

I would read a spinoff series titled "I Now Pronounce You Shard & Larry". Not kidding on that. They've actually had some hilarious dialogue together & seemed to genuinely want to look out for each other. Unlike most team members Larry didn't seem annoyed by Shard's show-off tendencies. My shipping goggles require 2 charas to intereact (no nevermet ships for me, even if I think they'd get along hypothetically), demonstrate a level of ease talking to each other (it's okay for the pairing to began as an unrequited love-you-from-afar scenario but at some point the shy chara's got to make a move to get to know a crush on a personal level), have a moment where they do something nice/heroic/sympathetic for each other (for Foe Yay this'll probly be an Enemy Mine temporary truce) & generally look 'cute' together (have design elements/wardrobe/coloration etc that compliment each other well. A chara who primarily has a red/black color scheme & a chara w/ a blue/yellow design are good non-clashing examples.) It also helps if they have no conflicting canon love interest, but I admit sometimes I just don't care about that much. Not enough for a "Die For Our Ship" mentality, but enough to envision a break-up scenario or have the potential hook-up occur in flashback before the other chara was intro'd & complications arose. That's why for this fandom I would sooner ship Mighty/Ray than Big/Blaze (too much purple, never interacted that I know of) but I can recognize that other readers have different criteria before labeling anyone as having a love connection.
Haven't read SU 50 yet, much too early, but I have an idea which other chara Shard might be crushing on.
Love to see the "Learn from past behavior" design worked into New Metal Sonic. That can be done -very- well in a villain (quickest example I can think of is the Incredible family working to destroy Syndrome's adaptable attack machines.) Also pretty fun to see that Eggman is learning from HIS mistakes. The Snively obedience chip cracks me up. Could have avoided that Scrambled plot, eh?
Poor little Antoine. He doesn't even get to stay in a hospital w/out being attacked by random mecha who wants revenge. Not the best security there, but I'm sure Nicole & the Mobian hospital staff did what they could. Glad Shard came to his rescue. Hope to see previews soon, & will post more insightfully (probly) when I've read the aforementioned issue. Sounds like a good comic, & I can excuse the excessive STH 25 reprints if they were to familiarize readers w/ Metal Sonic. They could have reprinted the Ron Lim Mecha Sonic invasion nonsense & accomplished the same "meet the Robot" goal.
apprentice manta
BumbleNoble

Postby KirbyChan » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:44 am

It sounds like Shard could use one of these:

Spoiler: show

But yes, character development! That's all I wanted :D It seems like recently there's been a lot of action and not enough of character development. SU49 was a start but not enough for me.

This sounds really good. I can't wait to get my hands on this issue.
KirbyChan
BumbleCitizen

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius