The Thread of general Sonic-related questions

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: The Thread of general Sonic-related questions

Postby Xeric » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:27 pm

Kureejii Lea wrote: new looks for a couple other characters who, unfortunately, got cut thanks to reasons everyone probably knows about by now. =P

Guess you're not allowed to tell us who those characters were; even though they won't ever be showing up again? I'm always interested in seeing characters redesigned.
Xeric
BumbleKnight

Postby Fastest » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:29 pm

Kureejii Lea wrote:
TheFatPanda wrote:I don't get why Archie are keeping you locked up in the back doing the off-panel colouring rather than letting you come into the living room that is the main comic. Actually, I'm baffled how your not a penciller.

Well, you never know what the future holds. I actually was offered penciling Off Panel as well, but I don't think I'm suited for it. I don't practice actual drawing nearly enough. I'd love to colour a cover or something, though. And hey, some of my design/concept stuff is in the main stories, so that's cool. I helped design Conquering Storm, Constant Vigil, Rich Nights (for her whole two panels of not-deadness), Mighty and Ray's alternate outfits, the "Dark Mobius" FF (colour schemes), Thorn and Bow (less so on the latter who went through a bunch of revision), and new looks for a couple other characters who, unfortunately, got cut thanks to reasons everyone probably knows about by now. =P

That's amazing!! I love all those designs, especially Mighty and Ray's sand-blasters outfits (if only they could retain those outfits, but I doubt it).
But, now that you mention, I'm interested to know who those cut characters are. Can you at least name them or is there someone that doesn't let you?

EDIT: Oh, well. Never mind.
Fastest
BumbleFan

Postby Kureejii Lea » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:41 pm

I don't think it would really hurt anything, though I'm gonna say in advance, I don't have the files onhand to show and they're probably rough and bleh anyway. =P Essentially, they were some new looks/alternate outfits for Hershey and Saffron. Hershey was more for story reasons (like Mighty and Ray) while Saffron was done in part to solidify her look (because she ended up being very inconsistent visually) and make her a bit more visually distinct (for one thing, to get away from having both girls on the Chaotix, as well as within the comic in general, having so much pink). But the ones for Hershey never got the chance to be used and Saffron (among others, obviously) got booted last minute.
Kureejii Lea
BumbleKween

Postby ShadowBat20 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:59 pm

Kureejii Lea wrote:I don't think it would really hurt anything, though I'm gonna say in advance, I don't have the files onhand to show and they're probably rough and bleh anyway. =P Essentially, they were some new looks/alternate outfits for Hershey and Saffron. Hershey was more for story reasons (like Mighty and Ray) while Saffron was done in part to solidify her look (because she ended up being very inconsistent visually) and make her a bit more visually distinct (for one thing, to get away from having both girls on the Chaotix, as well as within the comic in general, having so much pink). But the ones for Hershey never got the chance to be used and Saffron (among others, obviously) got booted last minute.

Aw man, would have loved to see those redesigns, Saffron's especially (she really needed one). Too bad they couldn't be used.
ShadowBat20
BumbleClan

Postby TheFatPanda » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:04 pm

So you're saying we would've seen the new Saffron in Endangered Species if everything hadn't gone down the pooper?
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby Kureejii Lea » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:23 pm

Yup. She would have had a rather important role too, IIRC.
Kureejii Lea
BumbleKween

Postby DabigRG » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:36 pm

Kureejii Lea wrote:Yup. She would have had a rather important role too, IIRC.

Oh, so ShadEmp wasnt being over enthusiastic about her role in the story. Granted, all I did see in her possible involvement was a set redesign, which I now know was true. Thank you for clearing that up, Kween.
DabigRG
BumbleNoble

Postby Meliden » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:48 pm

What I just realised is that if the family mandate was stronger then, Saffron would never be referred to as Charmy's fiance, at least if I understand it correctly.

That would have been awkward.

But still, if you do ever happen to find the designs through a folder sort or something later down the line, I'm sure everyone would be open to seeing them.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby DabigRG » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:00 pm

Meliden wrote:What I just realised is that if the family mandate was stronger then, Saffron would never be referred to as Charmy's fiance, at least if I understand it correctly.

I thought only Sonic couldnt have a steady relationship. Also, fiance means family member to be (or not to :(hearty laughter): be), so they probably could've got away with that.
DabigRG
BumbleNoble

Postby Meliden » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:01 pm

DabigRG wrote:
Meliden wrote:What I just realised is that if the family mandate was stronger then, Saffron would never be referred to as Charmy's fiance, at least if I understand it correctly.

I thought only Sonic couldnt have a steady relationship. Also, fiance means family member to be (or not to :(hearty laughter): be), so they probably could've got away with that.

I think it extended to all the SEGA cast by that time.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Kureejii Lea » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:04 pm

But still, if you do ever happen to find the designs through a folder sort or something later down the line, I'm sure everyone would be open to seeing them.

I was thinking I might do a proper pic of Saffron at some point, but given how often I actually end up drawing anything I plan to do, who knows when that will be.

As an aside, technically, "fiancée" for Saffron, since she's a she.
Kureejii Lea
BumbleKween

Postby Ryu The Weredragon » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:25 pm

Kureejii Lea wrote:I don't think it would really hurt anything, though I'm gonna say in advance, I don't have the files onhand to show and they're probably rough and bleh anyway. =P Essentially, they were some new looks/alternate outfits for Hershey and Saffron. Hershey was more for story reasons (like Mighty and Ray) while Saffron was done in part to solidify her look (because she ended up being very inconsistent visually) and make her a bit more visually distinct (for one thing, to get away from having both girls on the Chaotix, as well as within the comic in general, having so much pink). But the ones for Hershey never got the chance to be used and Saffron (among others, obviously) got booted last minute.

Wait--- for story reasons... so, that means Hershey wasn't dead and Geoffrey was going to be in big BIG trouble with his wife? =D That'd have been cool.
Ryu The Weredragon
BumbleKnight

Postby Xeric » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:01 pm

Oh man, I'd love to see those if you find them. Nice to see that Saffy would've gotten some attention in 'Endangered Species' if things had gone to plan.
Xeric
BumbleKnight

Postby DabigRG » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:08 pm

RyuTheWeredragon wrote:Wait--- for story reasons... so, that means Hershey wasn't dead and Geoffrey was going to be in big BIG trouble with his wife? =D That'd have been cool.

Im still of the mind that Hershey is/was dead and that design probably would have been used to show exactly what happened to her. Plus, weren't the Sourmerca cameo's in SU 37 and StH 237( its solicit anyway) debunked anyway?
DabigRG
BumbleNoble

Postby GentlemanX » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:35 pm

I recall Ian saying the solicit from 237 was referring to Leeta and Lyco but the creative team decided to go about it differently.
GentlemanX
BumbleNoble

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius