The Complete Sonic Encyclopedia Thread Discussion & Spoilers

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: The Complete Sonic Encyclopedia Thread Discussion & Spoi

Postby Meliden » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:17 pm

Dejimon11 wrote:does the book talk about miles and rosey?

Miles just gets a little snippet in the Suppresion Squad article saying how he tries to appear mature and doesn't like being called Tails, as well as his use of magic over technology.

Rosey (the Rascal) gets even less, just being mentioned when the Moebius article talks about how the effect of the Power Rings there can often have a twisted side effect.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Mikail » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:10 pm

Meliden wrote:
Miles just gets a little snippet in the Suppresion Squad article saying how he tries to appear mature and doesn't like being called Tails, as well as his use of magic over technology.

So does that mean next we see him he'll be whipping out the magic? That should be interesting.
Mikail
BumbleNoble

Re: Am I the only one to notice....?

Postby FritzyBeat » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:57 pm

ChaosEmpress wrote:Also My 10 month old daughter likes Sonic the Hedghog. Thing is she likes to try and eat my comics. So I guess you can say she has good taste. I know that was terrible.

...oh!
Spoiler: show
FritzyBeat
BumbleClan

The Ark, The Overland and G.U.N...and Robo-Robotnik

Postby Luger » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:54 pm

After reading through some of the articles in the Sonic Encyclopedia, I'm a bit confused. The timelines mention that the Ark was one of the many space stations built by the Overland as part of their "Hundred Moons of Mobius" project (pg. 166). However, I thought the Ark was a station owned by the United Federation (or the "Republic of Station Square" as it was called long before Ian introduced the concept of the United Federation), seeing as how it was the G.U.N. that was dispatched to shut down Project Shadow and not the Overland's military.

I suppose it's possible that at some point the Ark was sold to the UF, but that's never made clear. As it stands, the Ark was made by the Overland, some human families were sent to live on it (including Abraham Tower's), then G.U.N. was sent in to shut down Project Shadow. Considering the "Heritage Project" didn't begin until after the whole Ark debacle (indicated in Tower's article on pg. 52), it seems odd that humans and overlanders were already collaborating to this extent.The UF's article on page 146-147 mentions that overlanders were the first to discover the hidden human populations, and that they collaborated through the "Heritage Project" to reintroduce humans to the world. However it doesn't say when the Heritage Project began, only that it allowed a third of the Overland's population to emigrate to the UF following the Great War. Maybe overlanders were putting humans on their "Hundred Moons" as part of an exchange program before exposing them to the outside world?

In any case, it seems the Heritage Project began before the whole death of Maria. Why else would G.U.N. have had the authority to shut down Project Shadow? I'm not saying it's explicitly stated the Heritage Project took place after that, but that's how it comes across in some of the articles/timelines.

Also, I just noticed that on the Kintobor family tree, there's no mention of Robotnik's "second cousin Irving Pavlov" mentioned in StH #17. :P Lady Agnes death is also mistakenly listed as 3235 instead of 3236 (she died the same year as Colin when both got nuked in Robotropolis).

Lastly, having just read through Dr. Eggman's entry in the encyclopedia, and his entry in the Free Comic Day Special 2011,I just realized it was never explicitly stated in either of those issues that the Robo-Robotnik from StH #19 is not the same as the one from StH #22 (which became the current Dr. Eggman). The only explicit, in-comic description that details this is Robo-Robotnik/Dr. Eggman's data file in StH #108, which says:

Dr. Robotnik II's Data File from StH #108 wrote:Once upon a time in another zone, the being who would one day be known as Robotnik Mach Two had the same history as Dr. Robotnik I. That history changed when in that zone, Sonic and The Freedom Fighters had Robotnik at the verge of defeat. Rather than lose his reign, he roboticized himself and became more powerful than ever. Now calling himself Robo-Robotnik, this artificial lifeform became bent on conquering every known zone by first eliminating whatever version of Sonic existed within it. His mad scheme came to an abrupt halt when he utilized the Giant Borg in the Prime Zone and was defeated by a multitude of Sonics.

Though his artificial body was destroyed, Robo-Robotnik's cybernetic consciousness returned to his own zone, whereby it became trapped aboard an orbital space station he had been building but had not yet completed. When the first Doctor Robotnik accidentally transported aboard, Robo-Robotnik tapped his memory before transporting him back to his own reality, and learned where fragments of the Giant Borg existed in Robo's native zone.

After recovering the remains, Robo-Robotnik utilized his advanced technology to create a new shell, a carbon-version of the first Doctor Robotnik, and proceeded to wipe out the Royal Family on his Mobius. He then returned to the zone where the first Robotnik existed, only to discover he died while engaging in mortal combat against Sonic.

I don't meant to trudge this old argument up again, but seeing as how it wasn't clarified in print at all, including in the encyclopedia, that there was a distinct Robo-Robotnik in StH #19 from the one who became Dr. Eggman, the old data file's remarks (along with Eggman's detailed history in StH #75) are still technically canon (unless you count 'Word of God' as trumping what's actually been published in the comics).
Luger
BumbleNoble

Postby kryptyk » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:15 pm

Things don't usually end well for those who think they know better & defy God's Word. :P
kryptyk
BumbleNoble

Postby Meliden » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:49 pm

Oh, actually, I have another question about artwork. Is Ray's artwork on page 15 new? I know the rest are dated back to RtAI, but I've never seen Ray done in that style before now.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Ziggyfin » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:10 am

Meliden wrote:Oh, actually, I have another question about artwork. Is Ray's artwork on page 15 new? I know the rest are dated back to RtAI, but I've never seen Ray done in that style before now.

I think those were all done by Spaz for the RtAI part 1 cover, but only a few of the Chaotix made it on the final cover.
Ziggyfin
BumbleNoble

Postby Luger » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:46 am

kryptyk wrote:Things don't usually end well for those who think they know better & defy God's Word. :P

Except in this case there's two gods, and they have two different opinions on the subject. :P Penders, who co-wrote both StH #19 and StH #22, even said on his message board they were meant to be the same character. It's a rare case where he and Karl Bollers apparently agreed, since that's how Bollers wrote it in StH #75, and was clearly explained in Robo-Robotnik/Eggman's data file in StH #108. Unfortunately, the encyclopedia doesn't address the issue in the slightest. Neither did Eggman's new data file from the 2011 Free Comic Day Special. Based on what's been said and shown in the comics, there's only the one Robo-Robotnik (not including those nameless ones shown in the Sonic Live! Special). Conflicting words of gods negate one another.

We'll have to chalk up the differences shown between StH #19 and StH #22 (Cyborg Freedom Fighters to non-cyborg ones) as being the result of a prolonged period of peace with no threat from Robo-Butt, and the remaining, unexplainable differences as having been retconned in StH #75. It's a bit sad that the encyclopedia didn't address this issue, not even slightly.
Luger
BumbleNoble

Postby Ian Flynn » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:54 am

There is but one Word of God now. And when someone else takes over the book, they will be Word of God.

The clarification on the two Robo-Robotniks had to be cut for space unfortunately. (There was a lot of trimming. The first draft of Mogul and Naugus's articles were a page-and-a-half, for example)

We've been over this before, and I've made my case. So there were two. And it'll be that's how it'll be until somebody retcons me. Such is the nature of the beast.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Meliden » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:13 am

Ziggyfin wrote:
Meliden wrote:Oh, actually, I have another question about artwork. Is Ray's artwork on page 15 new? I know the rest are dated back to RtAI, but I've never seen Ray done in that style before now.

I think those were all done by Spaz for the RtAI part 1 cover, but only a few of the Chaotix made it on the final cover.

Huh. Well I actually quite like that design, as much as I can see of it anyway.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby kryptyk » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:55 am

Ian Flynn wrote:There is but one Word of God now. And when someone else takes over the book, they will be Word of God.

The clarification on the two Robo-Robotniks had to be cut for space unfortunately. (There was a lot of trimming. The first draft of Mogul and Naugus's articles were a page-and-a-half, for example)

We've been over this before, and I've made my case. So there were two. And it'll be that's how it'll be until somebody retcons me. Such is the nature of the beast.

And now the acclamation of worship from the new Latin manuscript: AAHHH-MENNNN-AAAYYYYYY!!!!! :mrgreen:
kryptyk
BumbleNoble

Postby Meliden » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:25 am

I think you're taking the Word of God phrasing a bit too literally now.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby kryptyk » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:02 am

Meliden wrote:I think you're taking the Word of God phrasing a bit too literally now.

It's called "having fun alá Mel Brooks." :P
kryptyk
BumbleNoble

Postby Meliden » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:16 am

Looks like the entire book wasn't exactly changed for the final version, there's still a mention of the Who's Who proto-title in there.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby NxtWaltDisney » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:29 am

I love who's who
NxtWaltDisney
BumbleClan

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius