Sonic the Hedgehog #226 Preview

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Sonic the Hedgehog #226 Preview

Postby SorcererLance » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:17 pm

MegaHayzer wrote:1. Remember Robotnik Prime's scheme where he put Sonic and the FF's in virtual reality? I'm thinking something like that. Except in a "game" sense, and Sonic meets the Freedom Fighters (the woodland creatures) as he destroys the robots. Maybe the Death Egg blasts Mobius and turns it into a "game" world. Reverts everything, y'know?

so more or less redoing Sonic X #10 and #11
SorcererLance
BumbleNoble

Postby Mustachio » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:20 pm

After the Xorda's gene bombings of Earth the entire planet began to change in a very different and surreal way. The landscapes became filled with checkerboards, Magic Rings were once more plentiful, loopty-loops and mobius strips were found at every corner. This was the Planet Mobius, no longer Earth, but a world beyond.

Things changed with the rise of the Echidnas and the Order of Ixis. During the Forgotten War the untapped and splendid beauty of Mobius was decimated and returned to a form more akin to Ancient Earth. While some of the old structures of Mobius still existed (such as a checkerboard patterns and loops found in the early days of the comic) most of it looked like old Earth once again.

Dr. Eggman uses the Death Egg and/or Chaos Emerald at some point which activates an old program buried in Mobius put in place ether by the Order of Ixis or Albion Knights of Aurora. Mobius is rapidity changed back into its original form like a miracle. The surreal touch returns to the planet tossing its inhabitants upside down. Mobius is forever changed back to the way its suppose to be, a bizarre and wonderful fantasy land inhabited by forest critters.

Now its up to Sonic and the Freedom Fighters to make their way through this new world and find what has been lost. Dr. Eggman plans to stand in their way with his Death Egg and legion of Badniks, the doctor plans to bring everything back to where it started in order to defeat his hated nemesis once and for all. This is "Genesis".

I know that's completely wrong, but some sort of dumb guess by me. :P
Mustachio
BumbleClan

Postby MegaHayzer » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:35 pm

SorcererLance wrote:
MegaHayzer wrote:1. Remember Robotnik Prime's scheme where he put Sonic and the FF's in virtual reality? I'm thinking something like that. Except in a "game" sense, and Sonic meets the Freedom Fighters (the woodland creatures) as he destroys the robots. Maybe the Death Egg blasts Mobius and turns it into a "game" world. Reverts everything, y'know?

so more or less redoing Sonic X #10 and #11

I wouldn't know. I never read Sonic X. So I'm going to assume you're right and say, "Yes."
MegaHayzer
BumbleClan

Postby squeakyboots13 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:43 pm

In response to this entire discussion: I don't really see why this can be a reboot. That would defeat the entire purpose of the last 5 issues of bringing back Naugus and getting Sonic and Sally back together only to throw that all in the trash with a reboot. If anything, this is an adaptation of Sonic 4.
squeakyboots13
BumbleCult

Postby Mustachio » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:50 pm

I don't think its an adaption of Sonic 4 ether. Sonic 4's story isn't even finished yet so I don't think Archie would be willing to tackle a tie-in of it just yet. Not to mention as much as I enjoy game references and small tie-ins here and there a tie-in for an anniversary event would be kinda... underwhelming. I rather see Ian go all out on a story he made up that just implements classic Sonic material. Plus the description sounds more like Sonic 1 then Sonic 4.

I think what we're looking at is the face of a brand new saga of the comics that will be lasting for a long while to come.
Mustachio
BumbleClan

Postby Badnikz » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:58 pm

Theories on Genesis again.

1. This is a flashback. Either something in #225 like Sonic in a coma or Silver in #28 messing around with time, causes Sonic to relive his first adventures.

2. This is for real. Sonic is in an undiscovered land facing new challenges as throwback to the classics, or the Death Egg is warping reality to look like the games.

The problem with the first one is it seems kind of wacky to do. The problem with the second is shouldn't they be trying to stop the Death Egg?

I'm in favor of the second theory. I think the secret villain here is a new underboss, in charge of Eggman's new Badnik scheme.
Badnikz
BumbleKnight

Postby Amir » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:00 pm

I really dont know how to feel about this to be honest. :?

225 is supost to be a "world-changing" event as well as a game changer. I think Ian or some else who works on the comic has said before that it will affect the comic "for years to come" but with everything going on in the comic now I am utterly confused how this all ties together. While this hasn't stopped me from making a fan theory, I am not sure what to expect.

Fan Theory:
-Issue 223: Ixis apperes and makes a move to clame the kingdom. Using his Choas emerald he keeps Nicole and the Nanites in check like how Mamoth Mougle did when he and the others escaped. Eggman, using spybots, observes this and decides thats how he will get into New Mobo. (Tie into backstory where he gets a emerald)
-Issue 224: While Sonic and Ixis are fighting Eggman finishes final preporations for the Deathegg (reveald at the end of the issue)
-Issue 225: Thanks to Ixis, Nicole's defences of the city are useless, forcing Sonic and the wizard to team up. How ever eggman reveals his ace in the hole, his emerald in the form of a weapon. Sally gets hurt (Variant cover) in the attack, unable to withstand the assault even with Ixis help, Sonic carring sally and the others manage to escape as New Mobo falls.
-Issue 226: Sonic, Sally and all the others relocate to South Island to hide from Eggman only for his preasence to appear there.

The woodland creatures in the solicet are the local wildlife, not the "Mobians". To expand his armies just as he forces Mobians into his Dark Egg Legion he makes Baddniks out of the wildlife (Flickies, Cluckies, Rickies and the like). Ian has said wildlife does exist on Mobius, maybe this is his way of put it into the comic.

As for what happens to Nicole since she's tied to the city:
1: She retreats to her handheld- this would almost seem like back peddling for her character but it is a possiblity.
2: She "dies"- I dont think it's gonna happen to be honest. Ian has said that what happened during the Iron Dominion arc will be felt for a while, this coupled with Ixis return may cause people to loose fait in her or see how much they had grown dependent on her. Plus the "time loop" everyone mentiones that she is a part of say that she will be destroyed but its during the final fight with eggman so unless the comic is going to end soon I doubt this.
3: She gets a permanint body- This is what I see a most likely, either through Ixis magic to hold her at bay, using the nanites to make an artifical form or what ever She end up becomeing like Major Motoko Kusanagi from "Ghost In the Shell". Its really the next step for her character I would think.

226's cover is a homage to Sonic 1, Nothing more.

The only thing I cant or dont know how to explain is the Sonic 1 style landscape other than "It was like that when we got here."

I'll be amazed if even 5% of this is right.
Amir
BumbleKnight

Postby Sylex » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:25 pm

:shock: I'm at a lost for words as what to say for the story, but the cover IS PROBABLY THE BEST COVER THAT WILL DESCRIBE 2011 AS EPIC FOR SONIC THE HEDGEHOG! :mrgreen:
Sylex
BumbleNoble

Postby Scourge160 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:33 pm

Shhweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!
It's Time Warp time, baby!
Last edited by Scourge160 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Scourge160
BumbleNoble

Postby MetaL Overlord » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:34 pm

Friggin' Fireballs of Awesome :shock: :shock: :shock: I am exited as He!! for this
MetaL Overlord
BumbleNoble

Postby dantemustdie00 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:36 pm

That's the best Sonic Spaz has drawn in my eyes. An interesting nod to the old Genesis days with the Badniks..
dantemustdie00
BumbleNoble

Postby Ixis101 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:09 pm

The whole premise behind Robotnik's comeback had something to do with Sonic's chaos factor we thought, right? My guess is Eggman uses the Death Egg to revert back to a time before Sonic collected a ring or used a Chaos Emerald, thus neutralizing his amazing resilience to attack. He'd still have his speed, of course, but he'd be a much easier target.

How the D.E. does this, or what the side effects are etc., are anybody's guess. But given the lack of FF in both the cover and the preview make me think Sonic starts this adventure alone.

Sorta reminds me of 175-177, where everyone was captured and we had the Sega Four on their own taking care of business by themselves. I guarantee this too will be a temporary thing, especially given how much Ian has emphasized world-building over the past 5 years.

And lastly, let's not forget Ian said the exact same thing about 200 (would change the comic for years to come); not that Eggman's insanity wasn't epic in its own way, but "years" basically ended up being "two" with Eggman's resurgence. Outside of him being gone (more or less) from 201-224, the comic went on much as normal. Unless, of course, Genesis is another extension of 200 and it's just going to screw things up even further. But somehow I bet that after Genesis we'll be back to status quo, more or less.

Also: did Ian or anyone else mention how long Genesis was gonna last? Given that it has a "Part One" affixed to it, I'm led to believe it's a self-contained story arc. But for how many issues? 3? 5? 10? More...?
Ixis101
BumbleFan

Postby Badnikz » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:14 pm

I thought the same thing as Ixis, that this is gonna be a Sonic solo arc.

It just feels that way, but it might be the Sonic 1 cover speaking through my childhood.

Like could this be Ian's "space" arc? Sonic gets blasted to new zones or something.
Badnikz
BumbleKnight

Postby TutiFrutti112 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:34 pm

I'm not worried about a reboot. Why would Ian spend so much time bringing back Naugus, stirring up political tension, resolving Sonic and Sally's feelings, developing Nicole, and pitting Dimitri and Knuckles against each other once and for all? I don't think he did all that to throw us off.
TutiFrutti112
BumbleNoble

Postby Toby Barrett » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:39 pm

Maybe Sonic Reboot

Toby Barrett

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius