StH#210: Preview/Discussion

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby Astrobot7000 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:55 pm

It isn't so much that Butler's art is stiff, it is just that he tends to draw the characters with more humanisms than Tracy does. Humans in motion tend to look more stiff anyway, rather than the possessing the 'soft joint' curves of Tracy's art.
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby Penguin God » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:32 pm

No, I know that, the characters still look STIFF. Their movements are very stiff and awkward, like they're mannequins being posed for each shot. The action looks really weird for this; there's no sense of movement, really.

Also it seems like once again, nobody can decide how big Amy's hammer is. That thing is changing practically every PANEL.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Eggplant » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:55 pm

I'm with you PG - although Butler has gotten a little better with proportions since #205.

As for 210, that reminds me, my subscription is about to run out. Hope I get this issue, because this line from the description is AWESOME:

"But Eggman, the Iron Queen and Snively aren't exactly seeing eye to eye, which may provide hope for our heroes."

I guess this means Eggman is recovering. It was fun while it lasted.
Eggplant
BumbleFan

Postby cdbrereton » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:22 pm

Good looking preview so far. Being a Brit, i'm looking forward to some british swagger on behalf of Geoff. Also, that IS an odd looking NICOLE. It's almost as if Butler did his Geoff so large that there wasn't enough room left in the panel for a decent NICOLE so he sort of had to squeeze her in there.
cdbrereton
BumbleKnight

Postby TheRock1525 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:47 pm

Is "crikey" British? I'm kind of confused here.

Good to see St. John again. Missed that skunk, and he looks BA in the commando outfit.
TheRock1525
BumbleKnight

Postby MegaHayzer » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:56 pm

Nope. I've changed my mind on the art.

Let me quote myself:
Hayzer wrote:RRGHHH! How I loathe Butler's work right now. Everything looks off-model. Amy's head is too big, Antoine's is too small and he's substantially shorter than what he should be compared to Amy, and Geoffrey looks like a furry, not a Sonic character. NICOLE looks like something out of a sex-flick, and Bunnie looks the same.

I'm really not liking his art at all.
MegaHayzer
BumbleClan

Postby Kureejii Lea » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:06 pm

Meliden wrote:DINGODILE IS INVADING THE CO...oh no, wait, that's just Geoffrey's accent.

...Geoffrey's accent? That's a new one.

He's always had an accent. The question was what accent. I don't think anyone had actually decided if it was supposed to be British, Cockney or Australian. The fans can't seem to tell, either. At this point, it may as well be Mobian Britaustney.

Anyway, what I think we're seeing with the art here is a matter of Butler's usual lankier, somewhat more "humanoid" style coming into conflict with the distinct SegaSonic style on Amy Rose; basically, I think he tried to scale her up to match the others in terms of height while keeping her general proportions. Essentially, it's the difference you see between Sonic next to a human in Sonic X compared to the same situation in Sonic 06; in the former, his height of about three feet is maintained, but in the latter, he's simply scaled up, which basically makes the proportions - like the size of his head relative to that of a normal person - look a bit wonky. I think the same thing happened in Sonic Live, actually.

Poor Bunnie. I can see how she wouldn't want to have abandoned Antoine in the thick of trouble previously, but having her actively running around would make her more of an obvious target. I'm getting mildly annoyed with how just about all of Antoine's dialogue is italicized lately, though. It makes him sound extremely stilted - and not in the usual Antoine-esque way.
Kureejii Lea
BumbleKween

Postby Hermoso » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:19 pm

Wow, I wonder why Sonic is Blanked out? Well it seems to be getting good! Cant wait! :D
Hermoso
BumbleNoble

Postby theJcfreak » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:46 pm

hayzer the tazer wrote: NICOLE looks like something out of a sex-flick, and Bunnie looks the same.

I'm sorry, what? Because they look a little more... female? Doesn't make them... insert derogatory term here.
theJcfreak
BumbleChosen

Postby Hermoso » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:48 pm

TheRock1525 wrote:Is "crikey" British? I'm kind of confused here.

Good to see St. John again. Missed that skunk, and he looks BA in the commando outfit.

I thought he was British or something... :? Or I may be wrong.
Hermoso
BumbleNoble

Postby cdbrereton » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:53 pm

Blkpikason wrote:
TheRock1525 wrote:Is "crikey" British? I'm kind of confused here.

I thought he was British or something... :? Or I may be wrong.

He is supposed to speak in a cockney accent.

And in terms of 'crikey' i guess you could call it british, cos most present day aussies decend from us brits, and they seem to use it all the time.
cdbrereton
BumbleKnight

Postby Spectre the Hechidnat » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:22 pm

Geoffrey makes a nice entrance, though I don't like his initial jerky remark. Nice to see that Bunnie and Antoine are safe: I was worried Bunnie was going to end up being grabbed by the Iron Queen again. Pretty decent action so far, though I wish the Chaotix would get involved in this.
Spectre the Hechidnat
BumbleNoble

Postby Hermoso » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:24 pm

Spectre the Hechidnat wrote:Geoffrey makes a nice entrance, though I don't like his initial jerky remark. Nice to see that Bunnie and Antoine are safe: I was worried Bunnie was going to end up being grabbed by the Iron Queen again. Pretty decent action so far, though I wish the Chaotix would get involved in this.

Theres still a chance, Also if im not mistaken I saw vector and mighty carring people through a warp ring.
Hermoso
BumbleNoble

Postby Count Koopula » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:41 pm

jcfreak16 wrote:
hayzer the tazer wrote: NICOLE looks like something out of a ***-flick, and Bunnie looks the same.

I'm sorry, what? Because they look a little more... female? Doesn't make them... insert derogatory term here.

I have to say, in those 3 panels, Bunnie & Nicole look alot less "risque" then most comic book females, I've seen.
No offence, but you're being to much of a prude, Hayze. There's much "worse" in art museums.
Count Koopula
BumbleClan

Postby cdbrereton » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:49 pm

Count Koopula wrote:
jcfreak16 wrote:
hayzer the tazer wrote: NICOLE looks like something out of a ***-flick, and Bunnie looks the same.

I have to say, in those 3 panels, Bunnie & Nicole look alot less "risque" then most comic book females, I've seen.
No offence, but you're being to much of a prude, Hayze. There's much "worse" in art museums.

Agreed, Steve's Bunnie is the best Bunnie. Such elegance in that first panel she appears in, and her next appearence is even better. :D
cdbrereton
BumbleKnight

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius