SU#12: Preview and Discussion

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby Paul Kaminski » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:59 am

Big Al Son wrote:There's something that make me wonder, do Jim Amash and Terry Austin do their inking by hand (pen, brushes) or do they do it digitally on the computer?

All inking at Archie is done traditionally, and Terry and Jim are certainly masters of their craft. You can only digitize so much in comics before the comics themselves start looking like cheap screen-caps.
Paul Kaminski
Sonic Editor and Grand Pubah

Postby Big Al Son » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:22 pm

Thanks for the information. Just interesting cause in the future I would love to become an artist (pencils, ink, and color) and just want to know what to expect in the industry.

Have notice that drawing by hand, you create you very own distinctive art style. Always admired both Jim's and Terry's inking for while. Both have a great history of their masterful work, especially Terry being involved with the greatest X-Men stories in history.
Big Al Son
BumbleKnight

Postby Paul Kaminski » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:02 am

Big Al Son wrote: Terry being involved with the greatest X-Men stories in history.

you kiddin me?? i totally x-geeked out on terry on more than one occassion haha
Paul Kaminski
Sonic Editor and Grand Pubah

Postby Mustachio » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:52 pm

So I got the issue over the last week but just got around to commenting now. As usual, I really liked it. The Knuckles arc has been really entertaining (especially the second half) and there has been tons and tons of goodies, especially in this issue.

The artwork was great this arc (and it shows in this issue too). The art talent wasn’t up to their usual standard during Mobius: 30 Years, I felt. There were minor errors with missing limbs and some small mis-coloring, but the Knuckles arc had the pleasure of being consistent. I especially loved the slight updated to the DUFF's, they look great!

The story this arc was fantastic. I return of the Downunda Freedom Fighters was a real delight and I hope to see more of them. I was hoping for some more resolution with Bill (meaning, he’s still leading the Platypus Legion as a “pretend enemy”) and I was hoping for him to do something more. Thrash is interesting to me though because of his ambiguous origin and mission. I hope he shows up when we revisit Downunda so we can learn more about him at the very least. Now that the arc is over, in retrospect Thrash is an alright addition, not sure if I like him a lot as a character or not, but he’s cool in my books. Like I said, it would only benefit if we saw more of him at this point. I do kind of like the idea of a Werehog/Bark-like Tasmanian devil rampaging the outbacks of Downunda (I kinda' keep thinking of him using the tornado-spin that Taz uses though :P ).

Finitevus is pure awesome as always. In fact, after this arc Finitevus might have climbed higher on the latter of my more favorite characters. I like seeing him fight back too; at this point it’s just been Knuckles wailing on him. I could of saw Julie-Su and Ray intervening from a mile away though, not that it’s a bad thing… it’s just when Knuckles landed on Shrine Isle, and I noticed it was just him and Finitevus, the first question that sprung to mind is “Where’s ‘Su and Ray?” I kind figured they would end up popping up and helping in the end. We got some nice moments from Knuckles and Julie-Su out of it, so it’s all good.

The Off Panels were really good this issue, both of them. And I might be in a minority, but I kinda’ like the Platypus Legion. :P

Great issue and great arc, cheers! Now I’m pleasantly awaiting our trip out East. :D
Mustachio
BumbleClan

Postby bsonic10 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:06 am

Great wrap-up for this arc, and a nice revisit to Knux and his current story lines. I liked revisiting the DFFs, and am sorry to see them go, although this gives me hope for the other FF groups that Ian plans on revisiting later this year (hopefully). Thrash was a nice addition to the team (even if it was fleeting), and I have a feeling that he'll be a character to watch out for whenever Knuckles or Finitevus are involved in anything involving echidna lore. Bill turning "traitor" to help his people was an excellent twist that no one saw coming, and I kind of like where he's at currently, though I'll be curious to see where he ends up from here.

Ian played up the whole idea that Fini is an inverse of Knuckles idea very well, and I liked how their powers were actually fairly evenly matched. Fini definitely got more villain points in this arc, and I liked that this arc helped to prove yet again that he is plenty capable of fighting, and that he doesn't need to rely on people (although he does manipulate them to make his plans so much easier).

I'll be curious to learn more about some of the info he was tempting Knuckles with, and hopefully we can get a sneak at more than just Aurora in the encyclopedia (although I'd settle for her).

Overall, I enjoyed the arc and look forward to revisiting the Downunda and Knuckles again in the future. In the mean time, I'm looking forward to "Journey to the East", and learning more about the DK, clans, Brides, ID, and more.
bsonic10
BumbleClan

Previous

Return to This Side of Mobius