SU#12: Preview and Discussion

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby Tigsie » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:32 pm

He could ring on Knuckles' doorbell!

AND THEN RUN AWAY!~

He has to put some poop in a bag and light it on fire first. >:3

Villains = More Interesting. ;)
Tigsie
BumbleNoble

Postby General Tekno » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:39 pm

No. First he had to reach through his Warp Ring to grab coffee and grab a stool sample instead.

Loved those off-panels. And Finitevus' teasing of background.
General Tekno
BumbleKnight

Postby Illustrious Q » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:00 pm

Read it. Loved it, raises up so many possibilities for the future. Time to resubscribe. :(hearty laughter): Now here's hoping that my letter ends up in the next issue of StH.
Illustrious Q
BumbleCult

Postby Luger » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:01 pm

I quite liked this issue, it was pretty solid over all, some nice reveals and a decent fight scene. I'd be incredibly interested in hearing all of the "dirty secrets" Dr. Finitevus has on Albion and the echidna history he knows. I'm betting he, having lived in Albion pre-destruction, might even have more knowledge of ancient echidna history than the Brotherhood. Also, Finitevus seems to know some interesting facts about Aurora which I hope get fully explained in the comic.

I remember back in KtE #24, Spectre alluded that Haven is full of secrets that, should they fall into the Dark Legion's hands, the situation could become a disaster. We all know the Brotherhood weren't saints and they have their own skeletons in the closet, it'd be interesting to see how much Finitevus knows of those too.

One thing that kinda bothers me in this issue is how Knuckles and Julie-Su didn't try to kill Dr. Finitevus when he was stunned. He's obviously going to be a problem in the future and they had to know just tossing him off the island wouldn't kill him (he's got Warp Ring tech, c'mon). Given the amount of damage he's done so far, you'd think they'd have taken every step to kill him off when they had the chance. It's not even like Knuckles is against that, since he gave the Downunda Freedom Fighters permission to do so in the issue before. I think that's the only qualm I have with this issue - Finitevus didn't escape on his own, he was basically given a "getaway for free" card, which seems contrary to Knuckes' whole objective of finding him.

Also, I wonder if Thrash is going to seek vengence on all of the echidnas for what was done to him. I kinda got a sense of foreshadowing for this when he learned some of the echidnas were alive from Knuckles. Not that he alone could kill off all the echidnas or anything, but I wonder if that's the quest he's embarked on or not.

I'd really like to see another issue similar to StH #163 or StH #183 in which, through pages of lengthy narrative, a lot of questions get answered. Sometimes Ian's stories remind me of the TV show LOST, in which more questions are asked than those answered, and they just keep piling up. I know it's a tactic to keep readers coming back for more, by gosh I would really like to have a lot of issues and questions finally get addressed - in detail - and not just tiny tidbits and crumbs here and there. Here's to hoping the next Knuckles-based Sonic Universe arc will offer some of that. It's about time Knuckles watched the Gala-Na holorecording to see that he's responsible for Finitevus' mutation, and finally confronts his family. Also, when is he going to start caring about his forefathers, the Brotherhood? He hasn't even talked about them in ages! You have to wonder how much more Knuckles would have considered Finitevus' offer had he mentioned he knew where they were.

A couple minor issues I noticed. Mighty's hands must've become huge to be able to hold both of Knuckles feet in them. Also, when Finitevus says "I apologize for using you before, all right?" shouldn't it be "alright" ? On the plus side, Finitevus looked totally creepy when he said "With no vision for the future!"

The issue overall gets 8/10 from me. Looks like I'll have to keep looking for my letter to turn up in Sonic Universe, if it got it.
Luger
BumbleNoble

Postby Nel » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:21 pm

A fun close to an okay arc. I liked the fight at the end, though both sides saying their own version of the chaos prayer was somewhat corny.

The arc as a whole felt like it took too long to really get in gear, but it was enjoyable in retrospect, serving not as a super-mega-huge arc but a set up for many super-mega-huge arcs down the line.

Man, I love Dr. F. Great villain. Liked his "Let's see what happens when I close it halfway around you." line. His plea for Knuckles to join him seemed almost sincere.

Off-panels were good too.
Nel
BumbleKnight

Postby Illustrious Q » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:35 pm

Luger wrote:Also, when Finitevus says "I apologize for using you before, all right?" shouldn't it be "alright" ? On the plus side, Finitevus looked totally creepy when he said "With no vision for the future!

The proper English for that term is "All right". Alright is a shortened slang, otherwise known as improper spelling, that has been slowly been making its way into accepted university circles as the proper "correct" term.
Illustrious Q
BumbleCult

Postby Luger » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:19 pm

NelStone wrote:His plea for Knuckles to join him seemed almost sincere.

Yeah I'm interested to know how sincere Finitevus was there or if it was just another guise to make Knuckles a pawn, or even just to delay him until Finitevus could get the upper hand. Hard to say.
Luger
BumbleNoble

Postby The KKM » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:29 pm

Here's something courtesy of Dungeon Shaker, from StC-O! Message Boards.

Again, I take no credit, done by Dungeon Shaker.
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby sonicblaster59 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:45 pm

haha...I lost it when I got to Robotnik flying out the window...

Mega Warp Ring Punch!

Haha.
sonicblaster59
BumbleKnight

Postby shigamado » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:39 pm

Hilarious!! :(hearty laughter):
shigamado
BumbleClan

Postby Spectre the Hechidnat » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:42 pm

Well, things are certainly sounding interesting. I hope Barby's apparent fondness for Bill is just from them being really old friends, not anything romantic; BarbyxWalt all the way. Hopefully the Dark Egg Legion gets a better sub-boss (and maybe loses the Egg from its name?) before its next appearance. And now I'm definitely eager to learn more about Vector's past.
Spectre the Hechidnat
BumbleNoble

Postby KChan » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:53 pm

What were the off panels?
KChan
BumbleKnight

Location: Somewhere in New Mobotropolis, but I'm not telling where, it's secret!

Postby Bystander #3 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:57 pm

Thoughts:

Interesting issue. We got to hear Dr. Finitevus's twisted and backwards version of "Tikal's Prayer." The style is very Sinestro Corps oath-y. The whole duel plays up Dr. Fin's identity as a kind of anti-Guardian and places him in opposition to Knuckles as a sort of dark mirror image.

This issue sets up lots of mysteries, which gives me hope that Universe will have some continuing plot threads of its own, despite its rotating cast and its regimented 4-part arc structure.

• Who built the mysterious Downunda echidna ruins?
  • What does Finitevus know about the past history of Enerjak? ...and Aurora?
  • What is Finitevus plotting next?
  • Why are Barby and Bill so mad at Vector?
  • Who is Barby and Vector's "dad"?
  • What is Thrash's quest?
  • What is Thrash's origin?
  • Why does Thrash have such a grudge against echidna's?

I hope Ian actually gets to address all that at some point in SU.

You know what we need now? A Vector arc in Sonic Universe. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Ian had something planned down the line a bit. At first I couldn't figure out why Charmy would be left out of this story when all the other (available) Chaotix were present. Now I'm wondering if Ian has a future Vector/Espio/Charmy arc planned for SU. Think about it: Charmy and Espio were notably absent from this outing and Vector had a whole lot of "shrouded past" mystery groundwork laid. It's not a bad way to whet the appetite for a future Team Chaotix trio team-up.

--edit--

Riley the Hedgehog wrote:What were the off panels?

There were two Off-Panels: one starring Finitevus and one starring Knuckles. I don't want to spoil the jokes, but the one with Knuckles is really funny.
Bystander #3
BumbleFan

Postby Luger » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:55 am

Bystander #3 wrote:
  • Who built the mysterious Downunda echidna ruins?
  • What does Finitevus know about the past history of Enerjak? ...and Aurora?
  • What is Finitevus plotting next?
  • Why are Barby and Bill so mad at Vector?
  • Who is Barby and Vector's "dad"?
  • What is Thrash's quest?
  • What is Thrash's origin?
  • Why does Thrash have such a grudge against echidna's?
I hope Ian actually gets to address all that at some point in SU.

Pretty solid list, and I too hope Ian addresses all of them at some point.

Bystander #3 wrote:You know what we need now? A Vector arc in Sonic Universe.

We don't even need a whole arc on Vector. Considering we learned some of his origins in StH #122, it doesn't even take a full issue to reveal a lot of things, just a simply back story of a one-off issue. I was hoping we'd see a lot more one-off Sonic Universe issues which would reveal a lot of information to build up the Archie-verse lore but it looks like Archie is pressing for the 4-issue arcs. I'd really like to see Vector/Barby/Bill's pasts all laid out in stone, along with solid answers to the questions you posed above.
Luger
BumbleNoble

Postby FairFieldFinder » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:52 am

KoiKamiMauro wrote:Here's something courtesy of Dungeon Shaker, from StC-O! Message Boards.

Again, I take no credit, done by Dungeon Shaker.

I think this guy might have started a new meme. Everytime a character gets socked, it's THRASH PUNCH! Like when Eggman hit Sonic in 205.
FairFieldFinder
BumbleClan

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius