Grill the Potto - Volume VI

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby Ian Flynn » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:43 pm

nuckles87 wrote:What I meant with Bean was, what made you decide to give him that type of personality? After all, he only appeared in one rare game, and that game didn't exhibit much personality from the characters, let alone something like your Bean.

My bad! I went with that for a few reasons. One was I'd already written Bean in a hobby-project as a very serious and competant leader, so it was fun to do something completely different.

Second, based upon the limited gameplay in Sonic the Fighters, I didn't think it was too much of a stretch. He was by far the most cartoony of the cast, and his wild-eyed, wide-smiling peck attack seemed to cement his insanity.

Sure, going off the very limited game characterization there is plenty of room for interpretation. But we didn't have any really fun, zany villains. Bean filled the void with flare.

nuckles87 wrote:What I meant with the other question was, are there any interesting stories behind the creation of the stories we've seen run so far?

I try to cover stuff like that in the Script Bits!

Orion101 wrote:1. Rouge seemed to have an easier time with Julie-Sue than she did with Locke, does that mean Locke is a better fighter than Julie-Su?

I'd say Locke is a better brawler than just about anyone. Julie-Su was also caught off-guard by Rouge. A rematch would not be so clean-cut.

Orion101 wrote:2. Why would a sentient computer program like A.D.A.M. believe in a mystical prophecy, wouldn't he see everything in logic and science?

A.D.A.M. has reached a level like that of Nicole, just without the sparkling personality. There's conclusive evidence of magic and scientifically-impossible happenings and "he" is taking advantage of that.

Orion101 wrote:3. Will Antoine and Bunnie actually have anything to do with # 172 or is that just on the cover for hype?

I can't answer plot-specific questions.

Orion101 wrote:4. Why isn't the United Federation taking a more active stance against Robotnik like Knothole?

The U.F. - and pretty much ever other nation of the world - is pretty much doing what Knothole is doing. I would say that Knothole hasn't been really active against the Eggman Empire since almost every deployment of the Freedom Fighters or Chaotix has been reactionary to the doctor's attacks.

The U.F. is expanding and protecting their borders as best they can. It's easier to maintain a resistance than risk resources to invade and supply such an active force.

Taco del Fish wrote:Ian, I was thinking about this matter earlier, and I was wondering, how do you take criticism to your work?
Do you read critics' reviews of your stuff?
But I could also see where hearing a million different people's opinions and trying to appease them or find some middle ground would be difficult, so I think maybe at some point I would just say "look, this is my story, I'm going to take it where I want it to go." Where would you draw that line?

I will admit that I have to take critism - good and bad - slowly. It's something I'm concious of and work through each time. Being over-protective of my work isn't going to help me approve and would ultimately hurt the book.

I read every bit of critism I can come across - I hunt for it. I consider everything I come across. Some of it brings up good points; material that might have worked better another way, or something that couldn't be helped but still makes sense. Other material isn't quite as helpful. I try to apply it to each new script. I'll be reading the upcoming reviews in the months to come to see if the small tweaks have a good effect.

These are my stories and I will tell them the way I think is best. The critism provides me an idea - once it's all taken into account - if I'm right in my thinking.

Pundit wrote:Ian. Someone on the Mobius Forum mentioned that Pellerito said "Cream is coming", in a rather ambiguous context.
Can you confirm or deny this?

I don't know when/where that info came from. As far as I know the status on the Sonic X cast hasn't changed.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby sonicxfactor » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:42 pm

Ian here’s a good question for you. If you were asked to write a script for a video game would you do it?

And if you could write a script for a video game franchise (minus Sonic of course) what would you choose?

And I think I found an Easter egg in #168 on the last page of the main story. Just above Mecha Tommy’s head was something that looked similar to a flux capacitor from the Back To The Future movies, was this a little nod to it perhaps?
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

Postby Tracy Yardley! » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:07 pm

sonicxfactor wrote:And I think I found an Easter egg in #168 on the last page of the main story. Just above Mecha Tommy’s head was something that looked similar to a flux capacitor from the Back To The Future movies, was this a little nod to it perhaps?

I can field this part of the question. You bet it was!! It wasn't in the script, but I LOVE BttF, and I thought it would be cool to throw it in. Good eye, Sonicxfactor.

On page one, Tails is working on a ghost trap from Ghostbusters, but that was covered up by a word balloon.

Tracy!
Tracy Yardley!

Postby Goldanas » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:51 pm

Yo, Tracy!

Hate to keep begging for your art, but could you perhaps show us said ghost trap unballooned? I can see bits of it in the first and third panel of the page, but it looks like it would have been most recognizable in the second where Tails's speech covers it up.

Although I know you guys had nothing to do it with it, I couldn't help but notice that Poké Ball that proudly sits unabashedly in the off-center of the first panel of the back-up. It's even in proper colors. How in the world did that go through?
Goldanas
BumbleFan

RE

Postby EthanEmerald » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:11 pm

Think that's something? Go back and read Sonic's comment to Monkey-Khan, "I'm tired of Pokemon, but you don't see me complaining!" back in #92!

Hehehe... XD
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Postby sonicforever » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:12 am

Even with a couple bumps in the road, do you think the comic has now officially passed the games as far as quality. We haven't had a quality console release since SA2 and that game is 5 years old. I guess the handheld games are still good though. But anyway I would much raterh spend my money on teh comics then spend it on a game series I have lost all faith in.
sonicforever
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:47 am

sonicxfactor wrote:If you were asked to write a script for a video game would you do it?

In a heartbeat.

sonicxfactor wrote:And if you could write a script for a video game franchise (minus Sonic of course) what would you choose?

My first choice - if I had the choice - would be StarFox. After that would be all the mainstay names - Kirby, Mario, Metroid, Legend of Zelda, etc.

sonicforever wrote:do you think the comic has now officially passed the games as far as quality.

If you mean by story, no, I don't. I think the games have come a long way in their narratives. There have been bumps in the road for them, but so have there been for the comic in the past. On a whole, they still entertain, and that's their point. Comparing them on any other level is moot.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby JoJo B. » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:04 pm

Something I've always wondered about which goes back to the early days of the comic was, whatever happened to Robotnik Inc., Robotnik Prime's original headquarters? Sure it's probably scrap now because of the nuke, but when did Robotnik Prime decide to switch command centers? It seems he just suddenly appeared in a new fortress altogether.

I know it has nothing to do with the what is focused right now in the comic, but are you planning to address this in the future?
JoJo B.
BumbleFan

Postby Pundit » Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:13 pm

Some questions for Ian after reading #169! Spoiler tags for the sensitive question:

Do you see the consignment of the emeralds from around the universe to the zone of silence as a means of reducing outstanding plot points/devices (ie. simplifying things), or can we expect something big to come of this in the future? I'd completely understand if you can't say anything about it, of course ;p

What's with Shadow's expressions in the main story? Is he supposed to be impassive, grim, angry, or perhaps a little bit of everything? Lastly, to do with the backup story, when Vector proclaims his location to be "Freedom HQ" are we to understand that he is in Knothole, or in some other place that hasn't quite been introduced yet? Also, it would be nice to know about Ray's jacket and the rather puzzling way it materializes on him at the end of the story despite being invisible in the beginning. Minor continuity issue or something else? Finally, we see that KP was responsible for inking the backup, although you wrote the story. Does this suggest that KP is still involved with the production of the comic?

Answers much appreciated ;o

ps. Would also like to say that I feel this issue is rather good overall :)
Pundit
BumbleNewbie

Postby Sonic922 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:15 pm

I have question too!

Is there a reason that Ken Penders, who isn't supposed to be around Sonic, inked and lettered "For a Friend"?
Sonic922
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:49 pm

JoJo B. wrote:Something I've always wondered about which goes back to the early days of the comic was, whatever happened to Robotnik Inc., Robotnik Prime's original headquarters? Sure it's probably scrap now because of the nuke, but when did Robotnik Prime decide to switch command centers? It seems he just suddenly appeared in a new fortress altogether.

I know it has nothing to do with the what is focused right now in the comic, but are you planning to address this in the future?

I'm assuming Robotnik Inc. was one of many strongholds throughout Robotropolis, so it should be considered gone. It was established a long while ago that Eggman had safe-houses and command centers throughout the world, so his move to New Megaopolis post-"Home" isn't that big of a leap.

Pundit wrote:Spoilered question about Chaos Emeralds

Mostly simplifying things, but I can't go into detail. There's one more twist coming up next issue, although Tails dropped a hint of it in #169.

Pundit wrote:What's with Shadow's expressions in the main story? Is he supposed to be impassive, grim, angry, or perhaps a little bit of everything?

He's not a pleasant fellow. He's grim and so he shall almost always look so.

Pundit wrote:Lastly, to do with the backup story, when Vector proclaims his location to be "Freedom HQ" are we to understand that he is in Knothole, or in some other place that hasn't quite been introduced yet?

See StH#160-161

Pundit wrote:Also, it would be nice to know about Ray's jacket and the rather puzzling way it materializes on him at the end of the story despite being invisible in the beginning. Minor continuity issue or something else?

The former.

Pundit wrote:Finally, we see that KP was responsible for inking the backup, although you wrote the story. Does this suggest that KP is still involved with the production of the comic?

Sonic922 wrote:Is there a reason that Ken Penders, who isn't supposed to be around Sonic, inked and lettered "For a Friend"?

"For a Friend" was Ken Penders' final assignment. Remember that production takes roughly six months, give or take.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Pundit » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:44 pm

He's grim and so he shall almost always look so.

I should have rephrased my question. What caught my eye about Shadow's expressions in #169 is that they seemed a great deal more exaggerated than usual. He looks so thoroughly pissy it's like he's almost hamming it up or something. I was wondering if there was some explicit direction to effect this change, or if i'm reading (once again) too much into it.

"For a Friend" was Ken Penders' final assignment. Remember that production takes roughly six months, give or take.

Ah I see, I just assumed that #159 was the last issue where KP was involved with the comic.

Additional question: Can you give us a vague timeframe for when we will get to the question of Finitevus and the evil scheme he obviously has cooking?
Pundit
BumbleNewbie

Postby Ian Flynn » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:54 am

Pundit wrote:I should have rephrased my question. What caught my eye about Shadow's expressions in #169 is that they seemed a great deal more exaggerated than usual. He looks so thoroughly pissy it's like he's almost hamming it up or something. I was wondering if there was some explicit direction to effect this change, or if i'm reading (once again) too much into it.

Part of that is Tracy's very animated, lively, expressive style. Part of it is personal interpretation.

Pundit wrote:Additional question: Can you give us a vague timeframe for when we will get to the question of Finitevus and the evil scheme he obviously has cooking?

Not this year, but before 2008 . . . if everything goes as planned.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Adamis » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:14 pm

So Ian, as you played Sonic the Hedgehog, do you have any ideas about an adaptation in the comic? Or ideas for Silver/Mephiles/Iblis/Elise?
Well, did the game inspire you?

I think it would need modifications (time-travelling 10 years ago? Well, Ivo Robotnik was the dictator... and where coul be Soleanna?...)

Also (spoiler, so I hide it)
I don't have #169 yet, but I've read Tommy died...or did he? Will he stay dead this time?

Maybe a stupid question, but did Evil Antoine kill his father in his own dimension? Just curious...he tried (well, "succeeded") to kill his double's father, but did he do the same to his own father?
Adamis
BumbleNoble

Postby nuckles87 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:14 pm

Spoilers:

Ian, I just got #169. I thought it was pretty good, but also quite anti climatic, considering how long this story has been running and how many story arcs the Anonymous conspiracy took up. I honestly think this was one of those stories that NEEDED a full issue to be told properly. ADAM barely had time to be menacing, and was barely able to make any true use of the chaos emeralds. Not to mention, the whole new "Chosen One" plot point seemed to be cut rather short. I really think this story needed a full issue and I think the constant back stories in every comic has been hurting the main story more then helping lately. Do you have any control over how many stories are in an issue(M25YL aside)?

I hope this doesn't become a consistent problem in Archie.
nuckles87
BumbleKnight

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius