Grill the Potto - Volume VI

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby JoJo B. » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:41 am

Will we ever get to know more about the Cosmic Interstate and how one can access it? As far as I remember back in Sonic #11, there was no explanation as to how Sonic found it, he was just depicted going through it.
JoJo B.
BumbleFan

Postby Faded-Myth » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:21 am

Do I get to name the next page of "Ask Ian"?
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Postby Ian Flynn » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:25 am

I swear to the Walkers, F.M., you're weirder than any one person has any right to be. And this is coming from the guy who hears the voices of colorful animals in his head.

Anyway, time for some pre-Turkey Day Q&A

Goldanas wrote:Did you get you Wii? Got mine. Unfortunately, component cables are nowhere to be found.
If you got it, how do you like it so far?

Mine was one of the elite few to have a fatal software problem, so it's unusable. I'll be calling up Nintendo today for my trade in. Word is I'll be getting my replacement inside of ten days.

JoJo B. wrote: Will we ever get to know more about the Cosmic Interstate and how one can access it? As far as I remember back in Sonic #11, there was no explanation as to how Sonic found it, he was just depicted going through it.

I'd have to re-read some stuff, but I'm fairly certain Zonic laid claim to both policing the Cosmic Interstate and giving Sonic access to it initially. Since the Cosmic Interstate connects all Zones and the folks of the No Zone/Parallel Zone police the multiverse, I think we can make a strong connection.

I'd like to touch upon all the multiverse issues in the future, but I don't know if/when we ever will.

Faded-Myth wrote:Do I get to name the next page of "Ask Ian"?

We just entered the fourth page! Chill out. And get off my candy-floss bedpost or face the wrath of my mighty, overweight, meaty fist.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Faded-Myth » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:40 am

My life is now complete. I love you Ian. *flaps his wings and takes off through an open window*
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Postby nuckles87 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:34 am

So........Ian. Got a favorite tennis player?

Also.....what made you make Bean a lunatic anyway?

Got any interesting stories regarding any ideas you've used in the comic that we haven't heard yet?
nuckles87
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:58 am

nuckles87 wrote:So........Ian. Got a favorite tennis player?

Nope.

nuckles87 wrote:Also.....what made you make Bean a lunatic anyway?

Serious answer: I can't say since that would reveal the un-pitched, un-approved origin story.

Bean-like answer: Cashews.

nuckles87 wrote:Got any interesting stories regarding any ideas you've used in the comic that we haven't heard yet?

I don't know about "interesting," but there's been a couple stories that haven't seen the light of day and doubtfully ever will. That being said, I might recycle some elements, so I can't really say anything about them for now.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby nuckles87 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:03 pm

IanPotto wrote:
nuckles87 wrote:So........Ian. Got a favorite tennis player?

Nope.

nuckles87 wrote:Also.....what made you make Bean a lunatic anyway?

Serious answer: I can't say since that would reveal the un-pitched, un-approved origin story.

Bean-like answer: Cashews.

nuckles87 wrote:Got any interesting stories regarding any ideas you've used in the comic that we haven't heard yet?

I don't know about "interesting," but there's been a couple stories that haven't seen the light of day and doubtfully ever will. That being said, I might recycle some elements, so I can't really say anything about them for now.

Haha, I think we had a misunderstanding. :x

What I meant with Bean was, what made you decide to give him that type of personality? After all, he only appeared in one rare game, and that game didn't exhibit much personality from the characters, let alone something like your Bean.

What I meant with the other question was, are there any interesting stories behind the creation of the stories we've seen run so far?
nuckles87
BumbleKnight

Postby Faded-Myth » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:45 pm

I'm gonna be impulsive and obnoxious and answer for Ian here, since I see to be the official Guy-Who-Sits-At-Ian's-Mailbox-And-Goes-Through-His-Mail-For-Him guy.

My guess? A sense of humor and a chance to let the comic's hair down. Cme on, who doesn't love a wacky bomb throwing duck?

As for wacky stories, there was this one time, in Barbados, where Ian and I were fishing? And like, we caught stuff. That was interesting.
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Re

Postby EthanEmerald » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:49 pm

Barbados! Gotta love that place! ^^
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Postby Orion101 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:08 pm

1. Rouge seemed to have an easier time with Julie-Sue than she did with Locke, does that mean Locke is a better fighter than Julie-Su?

2. Why would a sentient computer program like A.D.A.M. believe in a mystical prophecy, wouldn't he see everything in logic and science?

3. Will Antoine and Bunnie actually have anything to do with # 172 or is that just on the cover for hype?

4. Why isn't the United Federation taking a more active stance against Robotnik like Knothole?
Orion101
BumbleFan

Postby BlueFantasy » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:38 pm

::dies::
BlueFantasy
BumbleKnight

Postby Faded-Myth » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:14 am

OH NOES! TIME FOR MOUTH TO MOUTH! *Clamps mouth over BlueFantasies* KISS ME! KISS ME!

I mean BREATH! BREATH!
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Postby Taco » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:18 am

Ian, I was thinking about this matter earlier, and I was wondering, how do you take criticism to your work? I don't just mean destructive criticism, either. I mean people's honest opinions and suggestions. Would you ever try to implement someone's suggestions into your work, minus your boss? And I don't necessarily mean one of us; I mean, like a friend, or whatever.

Do you read critics' reviews of your stuff? (If there are, in fact, critics who critique your stuff. I've never seen an actual critic's review of this comic, although that one guy was reviewing the comic up until the end of last year, I remember.) Or do you feel that that might mess up your over all intentions if you read their reviews, because that would cause you to more emphasize one thing they praised, and forget the other things that made your story good in the first place in later stories?

I'm writing a story right now that I frequently have my one friend read. (That's also often the first time I go over the last bit of stuff that I've just recently written, over his shoulder... la la la...) I try to take into account some of what he says, because a lot of times I agree with it. But I could also see where hearing a million different people's opinions and trying to appease them or find some middle ground would be difficult, so I think maybe at some point I would just say "look, this is my story, I'm going to take it where I want it to go." Where would you draw that line? Of course, you probably don't have that kind of freedom with a Sega Licensed product, eh? Anyhoo...

I probably asked the same or similar questions several times over just now. Sorry 'bout that.

Wuv, Yer Mom
Taco
BumbleKnight

Postby Pundit » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:23 pm

Just a quickie from me, Ian. Someone on the Mobius Forum mentioned that Pellerito said "Cream is coming", in a rather ambiguous context. If I interpret that cryptic phrase one way, it looks like the possible introduction to everyone's favorite talking Japanese rabbit in the Archie comic. Can you confirm or deny this?
Pundit
BumbleNewbie

Postby beowolf master of ctalin » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:24 pm

burn dystroy pilvage that rabbit and make here thanksgiving dinner we need no weak little im so enacent rabbits :twisted:
beowolf master of ctalin
BumbleFan

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius