Grill the Potto - Volume VI

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby Goldanas » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:09 pm

According to some: Silver.

Yo, all you moderaters, whatcha' all talkin' 'bout up in that there Kastle?

In addition, looks like we're getting pretty close to the page cap here . . .
Goldanas
BumbleFan

Postby sonicforever » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:39 pm

I always thought Tails would be a good match personally. They are the same age and correct me if I am wrong but isn't he prophisied to become a greater hero then Sonic? Certainly something that would appeal to Amy in that. The whole Tails/Mina thing in M25YL was just retarded.

I know we aren't even to 175 yet, but what are your thoughts on Sonic being almost at 200 issues?

Oh and what does Spaz have in store for the cover of 175?
sonicforever
BumbleFan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:46 pm

Silver and Amy works so much better than Sonic and Amy ever could.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby sonicforever » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:26 am

That may be but I was going from a comic perspective. In the games, Silver/Amy might be better as you said but since I have only played a friends copy of Sonic 06 and couldn't bare to play it very much, I am not sure of all the story details between the two.
sonicforever
BumbleFan

Postby Rlan » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:29 am

I'd like to say that Issue #170 is your best yet, Ian. A lot of good plot points hit on. I do hope you're going to start with more new content, instead of putting bandaids on broken plots :)

I am worried about the Emerald situation. As much as I love the idea of returning to the gaming roots - it becomes a bottleneck since it requires gathering [assumedly] each time they need to use it. What we don't need is a drag-fest ala Dragon Ball Z :P

I also loved Gallagher's backstory, I liked his last Dulcy story a lot too. Are these stories simply stuck in the back catalog, or is he still submitting stories for the book? He does the Off Panel, but that's not exactly earning him a livable wage :) Awesome way to bring back classic badniks [though why it's deemed necessary to bring in Splats each time, I don't know. Must still be on the old character sheet?], and Pseudo Sonic is a sight for sore eyes. As much as Gallagher has had his off stories [Auntie-Bodies], he's had just as many good ones [Metal Madness], so I hope he starts making some more appearances.

It's also the best Manak artwork in a long time.

I also picked up Archives Vol #2, though it'll probably be my last [I own the originals anyhow up to this point], I saw that they added extra pages for "Who's who?" on some characters, but they're VERY simple. This would be the perfect spot to add the data files Ken was chucking into the regular comic book many years ago, or at least something similar. Any chance of getting some beefed up profiles?
Rlan
BumbleFan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:52 am

sonicforever wrote:That may be but I was going from a comic perspective. In the games, Silver/Amy might be better as you said but since I have only played a friends copy of Sonic 06 and couldn't bare to play it very much, I am not sure of all the story details between the two.

True, but since there is no comic Silver yet, gotta assume they'd be much the same, similar to how Amy and Sonic are.

And can someone explain to me what the Bem is? I think I missed that arc.

Anyway, just got and read 170 today, and absolutely loved it. Besides the open-ended story for the Badniks, and a real Pseudo-Sonic vs. Sonic showdown, I just loved the front story, and the characterization. Sonic and Knuckles together especially.

Everything just felt... right.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby beowolf master of ctalin » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:39 am

:(hearty laughter): no no no here is the madness that is my head, based after my last question what do you guys and gals thing if Amy fell for Shadow? :(hearty laughter): what do you think of that?
beowolf master of ctalin
BumbleFan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:26 am

I think Mobius might need social services for a case like that before too long.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Ian Flynn » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:23 am

beowolf wrote:this just poped in my head do you have a love interest for amy?

From now to the foreseeable future Amy's heart belongs to Sonic. Whether or not he returns those sentiments is another question entirely. While it would be fun to have Amy look elsewhere, I'm fairly certain we would be told "no" so I'll fight that battle later. I've got other stories to tell.

I didn't get any romantic overtones between Amy and Silver. If anything, I thought it was heavy-handed in hinting that Silver was Amy's descendant. Her "intuition" and "sensing" things were referred to heavily and she appeared almost exclusively in Silver's story. It's conjecture, I know, but conjecture is fun!

Goldanas wrote:Yo, all you moderaters, whatcha' all talkin' 'bout up in that there Kastle?

Moderatory stuff. Secret stuff. Stuff to make you ask that kind of thing.

sonicforever wrote:I know we aren't even to 175 yet, but what are your thoughts on Sonic being almost at 200 issues?

It will be incredible. It's already record-breaking. If the comic can hold out into the 220s (which it should) then it will become the single longest-running licensed comic ever. Ever.

sonicforever wrote:Oh and what does Spaz have in store for the cover of 175?

I haven't seen the cover, just heard a description. And I've already said I don't want to say anything about #175 to preserve the surprise. But....from the description, it will be one of the more memorable covers.

Rlan wrote:Any chance of getting some beefed up profiles?

When I wrote those profiles, the directive was to keep them simple. Part of it was to harken back to the feeling the book had at the time. That, and this early in the series, there isn't much more to say on them. There might be beefier profiles in future Archives, but that's just a guess on my part.

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:And can someone explain to me what the Bem is?

What you need to know:

The Bem are an alien race from the ring-world of Argentum. A democratic science-based society had some of the most advanced technology in the galaxy. They were responsible for the re-robotization of the robians. This processes rendered them immune to re-robotization. Their world was last seen being torn asunder in the crossfire between the warring Xorda and Black Arms.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:41 pm

This is me pulling for the beefier profiles: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

As for Amy and Silver, I could see the descendant thing, as there was some rampant speculation that she and whoever were ancestors, playing off her whole Tarot card thing. Of course, in Silver's time, everyone's got those sorts of powers, don't they?

Still, I like the general Trunks parallel (which I guess would lean towards Shadow being the likely suitor, if you wanted to make it as 1:1 as possible).

Either way, the two just mesh really, really well, and Amy doesn't feel nearly as annoying when she's with Silver.

The Bem are an alien race from the ring-world of Argentum.

Which opens up another question I forgot: WTCHOP is a ring world? Are we talking like Sonic's power rings, or like the world in Halo?

A democratic science-based society had some of the most advanced technology in the galaxy. They were responsible for the re-robotization of the robians. This processes rendered them immune to re-robotization.

*scratches head* So they re-roboticized a bunch of Robians, and now they're immune to it? But what would happen if you tried to roboticize a Robian in the first place?

Their world was last seen being torn asunder in the crossfire between the warring Xorda and Black Arms.

That part I got, much to my delight. YTMND.

(that's a statement, not a website plug)

Something else comes to mind. At what point did Tails stop "hating" Sonic for moving in on his crush?

So along with Sonic #170, I got the second volume of the Sonic archives (I demanded it over on Penders' forum time and again, you bet your shiney red shoes I'll buy them, even if my financial situation is in dire straits at the moment), and that leads to my new question:

Something I had forgotten was left open-ended was that Sonic never succeeded (in the issue included, I don't think it was ever revisited) in taking down Robotnik's Veg-o-Fortress.

Which basically means that in theory, Eggman has an out-of-the-way, fully operational, nigh-impenetrable fortress sitting out there from which he could do... Walkers know what. It is an interesting item for possible use... (and given the inherent cheesiness of the setup, no one says it has to be the same as before)

Besides which, there were a couple of characters, Hip and Hop, who I don't think were revisited, were they? Personally, I'd throw them in with the Downunda FF if they ever reappear.

Finally, a side-note on the second story I only noticed just earlier: the colorist made an (honest) mistake with Pseudo Sonic: he's colored to match the current Sonic (specifically, green eyes), rather than the brown-eyed blue blur of before.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Ian Flynn » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:31 pm

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:
IanPotto wrote:A democratic science-based society had some of the most advanced technology in the galaxy. They were responsible for the re-robotization of the robians. This processes rendered them immune to re-robotization.

*scratches head* So they re-roboticized a bunch of Robians, and now they're immune to it? But what would happen if you tried to roboticize a Robian in the first place?

Confounded typos. No, the Bem de-roboticized the Robians and, in the procress, made them immune to re-robotication. Robotization. I hate that word.

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Which opens up another question I forgot: WTCHOP is a ring world? Are we talking like Sonic's power rings, or like the world in Halo?

Like Halo. See also the panel depicting it in StH#169 P3 p4, the backgrounds of StH#170 P8-10, and throughout StH#129 (referenced in StH#169).

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Something else comes to mind. At what point did Tails stop "hating" Sonic for moving in on his crush?

I don't remember reading them settling things recently . . .

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Something I had forgotten was left open-ended was that Sonic never succeeded (in the issue included, I don't think it was ever revisited) in taking down Robotnik's Veg-o-Fortress.

Which basically means that in theory, Eggman has an out-of-the-way, fully operational, nigh-impenetrable fortress sitting out there from which he could do... Walkers know what. It is an interesting item for possible use... (and given the inherent cheesiness of the setup, no one says it has to be the same as before)

True, but he's got those all over the planet. One of the perks of global dictatorship.

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Besides which, there were a couple of characters, Hip and Hop, who I don't think were revisited, were they? Personally, I'd throw them in with the Downunda FF if they ever reappear.

Hip and Hop showed up during the "Mecha Madness" arc as magistrates/judges that tried Sonic for treason. They haven't been seen since.

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Finally, a side-note on the second story I only noticed just earlier: the colorist made an (honest) mistake with Pseudo Sonic: he's colored to match the current Sonic (specifically, green eyes), rather than the brown-eyed blue blur of before.

Chalk it up to an upgrade from when he was re-assembled.

Whelp, looks like we've filled out another fifteen pages. I'll wrap this'un up and we'll move on to the next.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Previous

Return to This Side of Mobius