Grill the Potto - Volume VI

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby Ed Bellis » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:05 am

If you ever go back to giving him a name, I recommend "Pablo" just to confuse everybody. =P
Ed Bellis
BumbleFan

Postby nuckles87 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:06 am

Well, since this has been answered in tje past, I'lll repeat it:

Sonic X can only use stuff from the show, not the games. I believe it was a mandate from Sega to seperate the comics or something.
nuckles87
BumbleKnight

Postby Goldanas » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:04 am

Oh, Sega. I thought it was Archie's own decision, not something that was handed down. My bad.
Goldanas
BumbleFan

Postby apprentice manta » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:18 am

Firstly I'd like to say congrats on how you can write many styles: humor, action, and now drama. If I were writing, I'd just take the easy way out and smut it up. :mrgreen:
oh yeah, the actual question: Special 12 has Sonic wondring hows Zonic got his job, and I must say I do too- guy doesn't really seeming all that up on things else we wouldna spent two years runnin' with King Doppelpoppolus (Evil!Twan) Or are you just gonna pave over the Cosmic Interstate and it's many plotholes? Well whatever you have planned, I'm sure I'll enjoys the ride.
apprentice manta
BumbleNoble

Postby sonicxfactor » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:56 pm

Hey Ian question time

1: Was Antoine’s father’s death all your idea or was his death planned long before you joined Archie?

2: Will Antoine be seeking revenge on Anti Antoine for his dad’s murder?

3: In one panel it looked like Antoine was just about to purpose marriage to Bunnie just before Sonic came in and told Antoine the bad news. Will you be looking into getting these two hitched in the future?

4: Does A.D.A.M. know about Fintevus?

5: Does Fintevus have a plan to stop A.D.A.M if he needs it?
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

Postby Adamis » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:09 pm

Hello Ian, I have some questions for you too if you don't mind ^^

-Will we see something about the Shadow robots, seen in both Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog?

-Will the big story in #175 be happening in space?

-In issue #170, it seems the heroes will go in space again. Will it be only Sonic/Tails/Knuckles or will there be other characters, like a Freedom Fighter?

-Will we be seeing more of the Anti-verse? I'd like to see Evil Mina or Evil Fiona :P
Adamis
BumbleNoble

Postby sonicxfactor » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:13 pm

Adamis wrote:-Will we be seeing more of the Anti-verse? I'd like to see Evil Mina or Evil Fiona :P

Yes :D
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

Postby Sonic922 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:58 pm

Ian, have you ever feared subconciously taking ideas and stories from TV the same way as taking them from a fanfic?
Sonic922
BumbleFan

Postby Goldanas » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:27 am

Yo, Ian. I have a few questions insipired by the latest issue. Nothing plot-related, though.

-I couldn't help but notice the abundance of asterisks and editor's notes in #168. Now this isn't a problem, as I've come to expect quite a few back issue references from the comic. It's practically a staple. Plus, they were handled very well, often bringing attention to their own absurdity. I can understand that you needed quite a few this issue. It was necessary to wrap up Anonymous in a tight, little, perfect package, and I believe you did wonderfully. It just seemed that the page was a little cluttered; that's all. I'm just wondering if there's any alternative to the current method, while still retaining the same amount of information.

-Is it tough to write for two separate characters who have two completely different accents that are both staggering, often done incorrectly, and almost always exaggerated beyond all reason? You, however, performed quite well in the heat of battle. I dare say, I've yet to see the voice captured quite as well in any other form of print. I'm just curious if it came easy to you.

-Do you ever get writer's block whilst in the middle of a story? Whenever I get stuck in the middle of anything, I usually just continue writing, knowing that it's going to be terrible. It hurts in every way, but I know I will revise it later on down the road anyway, so it's never any big deal. For some things I can't do that, though. If you do get writer's block, what do you do?
Goldanas
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:51 am

misspuar wrote:oh yeah, the actual question: Special 12 has Sonic wondring hows Zonic got his job, and I must say I do too- guy doesn't really seeming all that up on things else we wouldna spent two years runnin' with King Doppelpoppolus (Evil!Twan) Or are you just gonna pave over the Cosmic Interstate and it's many plotholes? Well whatever you have planned, I'm sure I'll enjoys the ride.

I'd really like to get into what's been going on in the multiverse. Even if I do get my way, though, it won't be for awhile.

sonicxfactor wrote:1: Was Antoine’s father’s death all your idea or was his death planned long before you joined Archie?

That was my idea.

sonicxfactor wrote:2: Will Antoine be seeking revenge on Anti Antoine for his dad’s murder?

That's an interesting question, isn't it? Will Antoine's chivalry have him seek justice within the confines of honor? Or will Antoine, who has lost almost everything, seek brutal revenge on Patch - Antiverse style?

You'll just have to wait and see.

sonicxfactor wrote:3: In one panel it looked like Antoine was just about to purpose marriage to Bunnie just before Sonic came in and told Antoine the bad news. Will you be looking into getting these two hitched in the future?

Maaaaaaaaaaaaybe!

sonicxfactor wrote:4: Does A.D.A.M. know about Fintevus?

Sure. How much he knows is up for debate.

sonicxfactor wrote:5: Does Fintevus have a plan to stop A.D.A.M if he needs it?

Maaaaaaaybe

Remember folks - I can't do much in terms of plot-specific questions.

Adamis wrote:-Will we see something about the Shadow robots, seen in both Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog?

No plans for the Shadow Androids right now.

Adamis wrote:-Will the big story in #175 be happening in space?

I probably should have said this earlier, but . . .

I will not be answering any questions about StH#175 until after it's been released. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. I want to preserve the surprise as much as possible.

Amadis wrote:-In issue #170, it seems the heroes will go in space again. Will it be only Sonic/Tails/Knuckles or will there be other characters, like a Freedom Fighter?

There will be at least one other character with them.

Adamis wrote:Will we be seeing more of the Anti-verse? I'd like to see Evil Mina or Evil Fiona

I'd certainly like to return to the Antiverse some time.

Sonic922 wrote:Ian, have you ever feared subconciously taking ideas and stories from TV the same way as taking them from a fanfic?

It's been an occasional concern, but I can't cut myself off from all media. Besides, if I happen to borrow a plot point from Firefly, I'm not really hurting Joss Whedon. If I accidentally borrowed something from the fandom, it hurts everyone.

Hence the fan-material embargo continues.

Goldanas wrote:(about Editorial Notes) I'm just wondering if there's any alternative to the current method, while still retaining the same amount of information.

There was a brief period in the comic where all the footnotes were listed in the back along with the Sonic Grams. Since we don't have an extra page to spare it looks like we're stuck with the current format. There won't be many stories with that many Editorial Notes. (actually, I think "Order from Chaos" is the only one with that many)

Goldanas wrote:Is it tough to write for two separate characters who have two completely different accents that are both staggering, often done incorrectly, and almost always exaggerated beyond all reason? You, however, performed quite well in the heat of battle. I dare say, I've yet to see the voice captured quite as well in any other form of print. I'm just curious if it came easy to you.

It most definitely is not easy! I love doing character voices. Anyone who is foolish enough to be polite and listen will hear me go through the cast of the Muppet Show (rather convincingly, I'd like to think). Or Homestar Runner. Or any number of character voices - including the stereotypical French and Southern voices.

Whenever I write Bunnie and/or Antoine, I will often times write or think of the line in "normal English," then say it in the "voice" and listen to the changes. Many times I have to repeat the line over and over, revising as I go. Sometimes a line in "normal" doesn't work in another "voice," so I have to tweak the line. Even then, sometimes a thick accent wouldn't translate well phonetically, so I have to err on the side of "normal" and hope the reader puts it together in their mind's ear.

i.e. - "Wouldn't it be nice if Robotnik just went away?"
Antoine (full-blown) "Woodn't eet be nice eef Robotneek joost went a-way?" (unreadable)
Antoine (tamed) "Wouldn't eet be nice if Robot-neek just went away?"

Too much and it's both insulting to French/English speakers and to folks trying to wade through the dialogue. Too little and it defeats the purpose of having an accent at all. It's a tricky balancing act.

Goldanas wrote:Do you ever get writer's block whilst in the middle of a story? . . . If you do get writer's block, what do you do?

In terms of Sonic, usually by the time I get to the actual script it's been planned out to the point that I can press on easily even if I hit a tough page. If I ever do get stuck on writing anything I have to walk away and let it stew in the subconscious. The worst case of this was on an original project of mine where I had painted my heroes into a corner. It took me three months of actively and passively thinking about it to come up with the solution.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby PseudoCompulsionn » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:43 pm

Ian, for what it's worth, you have this fan's permission to borrow as much from Firefly as you darn well please.

:D
PseudoCompulsionn
BumbleNewbie

Postby Dirk Amoeba » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:29 pm

Has there been a conscious decision to make all Sonic X stories seasonally themed? How long will this go on?
Dirk Amoeba
BumbleFan

Postby Sonic922 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:38 pm

I have an interesting question but you may not be able to answer it:
Which are you more proud of, TDS or 175? You dont have to explain why since that may give away some of 175
Sonic922
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:20 am

Dirk Amoeba wrote:Has there been a conscious decision to make all Sonic X stories seasonally themed? How long will this go on?

Yes the recent run of books have been holiday/seasonal-inspired. It won't last forever, though. I know the one other script I did had nothing to do with any season or holiday.

Sonic922 wrote:Which are you more proud of, TDS or 175? You dont have to explain why since that may give away some of 175.

I'm proud of them both for different reasons. I'd explain further, but that wanders too close to possible speculation. I'm giving away NOTHING on it.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Faded-Myth » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:39 am

Hey Ian, if you want a custom Avatar made, I'd be happy to oblige.

Oh,. and you just indicated that TDS came before 175. That's SOMETHING. Sorta...
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius