Ask Ian #5 - The Return

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby Goldanas » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:56 pm

Haha, sorry again, Miss Kween. I'll keep a lookout for that edit button. And also I apologize to both you and Ian in the event my prattlings became too speculative for their own good. I told myself I wouldn't delve to deep into plot points but it's just so hard sometimes, haha. I only meant for playful admiration of the work.

And thank you, ChaosJam, for your kind words. I'll try to continue with good questions to keep Mr. Flynn on his toes. That pic in my sig (Which should now be at a more forum friendly size) was something I found on the internet and saved so I can't claim ownership, but I have to agree that it is one of the "most engaging" moments in gaming history.
Goldanas
BumbleFan

RE

Postby EthanEmerald » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:27 pm

Hehe. That's a funny sig, Goldanas. The origonal version of that image can be credited to the GHZ (www.theghz.com).

Also - If I'm not mistaken, the metal Snively we saw in #135 was a result of the Metal-Snively project. Right?
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:23 pm

Faded-Myth wrote:Did you miss me?

I'm sorry...who are you?

=D

Faded-Myth wrote:Here's a real question: The ending to 25 Years Later obviously isn't canon, but how does the ending make you feel personally? Just out of curiosity. I'm not asking in hopes that it hints what direction you want Sonic and Sally's relationship to go in. I'm just wondering, because this is a possible resolution to Sonic's life, which is a pretty big deal. Did you find it satisfying? Something you'd expect?

I'm content with the story we were able to tell in the space allotted. I would have of course loved to explore things more - especially the final Sonic/Sally scene. But I think I wrote it as well as it could be done, and Tracy really pushed it that extra little bit.

M25YL is done now. There's room to return, and "In the Future" stories/continuities are fun, but I'm more interested in the present.

ChaosJam wrote:1. Why did you have Robotnik come for Snively in Ties that Bind when earlier he said he was done with all his side-kicks like M? He knows he can't trust him and his anger over M's betrayl showed how fed up he was with all of it.

Covered in Script Bits! and the issue itself.

ChaosJam wrote:2. What exactly was the Metal Snively project?

Covered already. Se the Table of Contents

ChaosJam wrote:3. Does Tails know something that we and Sonic don't know yet while he was there when Sleuth and Fiona were talking to each other when u hinted more at her shady past?

Yes. And that's all I can say on that one.

Goldanas wrote:So this begs the question: who could this be? Could it be someone entirely new, or Could it possibly be a long lost son coming to realization after just narrowly escaping egg grape imprisonment?

Hmmmmmmmm.... Curiouser and curiouser.... Mr. Flynn?

All very good observations on your part.

Goldanas wrote:Also, Mr. Flynn, you mentioned in #163's script bits that you had an original team of Destructix. I think it would be a great service to us all if you provided any information available (concept art?). It could possibly allow insight into your creative process and possibly draw parallels between the fan and the professional.
Well, Ian, would you do us this service? Please?

Oh man...they were so horribly lame. I've no plans on bringing anything over other than the team name, but since you asked...

The Destructix (circa 1995)

If memory serves, these guys were all corrupted clones or something.

Provex - Take Knuckles and change the red to jet-black and turn the dreadlocks into body-long spears. Yeah. His knuckle-claws could extend to sword-length and conduct electricity like Jacob's Ladders. He was your typical grim, arrogant, "dark" evil mastermind.

Sepia - A female chameleon with a single up-swooping cresent-shaped crest on the back of her head. Which was lined with tiny spikes. As was her back and tail. She was the sadistic evil girlfriend of Provex.

Armor - A darker-colored Mighty XD His shell extended into segments armor over his arms and legs and - get this - could leaps off his body and attack on its own. He controlled it telepathically.

Raptor - I think his name was "Raptor" at least. He was a vaugely crocodile-like guy who wore a helmet and had sickle-claws on his hands. Just his hands. And he breathed fire.

Tenroh - The complete antithesis to Charmy - monstrous with a horned, skull-like head. His lower-half had no legs and was only a massive abdomend/stinger. And his name was "hornet" spelled backwards. Cripes!

Sadly (maybe?) I can't find any old pencil pictures of them. I'm half-tempted to re-draw them for hilarity/nostalgia's sake. But - there you go. The origin of the "Destructix."

Goldanas wrote:do you know what is up with Locke's very different redesign.

From my understanding, the idea was to make him more Pachamac/tribal-like since the A.I.-Echidnas were bombed back to the stone age. The fact he maintains this look I think is a testament to his increasingly desperate devotion to his forefathers.

EthanEmerald wrote:Also - If I'm not mistaken, the metal Snively we saw in #135 was a result of the Metal-Snively project. Right?

I'm honestly not sure, but we'll be safe and say he was blasted by Egg Pawns when Dr. Eggman handed down the order in TDS.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby BlueFantasy » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:26 pm

I was wondering about that Snivley as well. He kind of looked like when he was roboticized, but that was his only appearance from "Home" until the nanites came along. Poof! There was Snively!

On that line of thought, will it be explained (or can you provide an explanation here) of where Snively was the whole time?

Also, when ADAM presented "roboticized" versions of the Destructix to Robotnik, I assume they were the models that Sonic and Tommy-Duplicate destroyed. Which means they weren't the roboticized Destructix at all. And then they showed up out of nowhere to help Mogul in Darkest Storm. Is this a plot hole, or will this be revisited later?
BlueFantasy
BumbleKnight

Postby ChaosJam » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:14 pm

sorry Ian for repeating past questions...i havent had time to look through the past posts and never got around to the whole metal snively/snively questions that have been asked...i'll try to figure out better questions that u haven't heard a thousand times over and over haha...but i do have one more for right now...

Is there anything in the comic that you could change that had already been set down in the past issues and at this time can't be changed? I know it could be hard to work around certain things sometimes and just say "man i wish i was there to do something about that"
ChaosJam
BumbleNoble

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:59 am

No questions from me this time Ian, but I'm very VERY tempted to bring those jokers back to life XD

Postby TheSlyder » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:17 pm

I've always wondered this. It's not particularly about the storyline or anything, but what decides which artists will work on what? (I haven't seen the last couple issues, but throughout most of the series, artists have always fluctuated like I can't even describe.) Has there ever been an attempt to use one solid artist and stick with him/her for the main stories? It'd be nice to have some consistency with the artwork.
TheSlyder
BumbleFan

Postby nuckles87 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:30 pm

Actually, I do believe thats why Mike brought Tracy on board. To stabalize the art style for the main stories (although I could be wrong, tis what I heard).
nuckles87
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:09 am

Blue Fantasy wrote:On that line of thought, will it be explained (or can you provide an explanation here) of where Snively was the whole time?

That's one thing that's going to have to have slipped through the cracks. His absence didn't really impact the comic, so I don't think we need to spend the time to look at his uneventful disappearance.

Blue Fantasy wrote:Also, when ADAM presented "roboticized" versions of the Destructix to Robotnik, I assume they were the models that Sonic and Tommy-Duplicate destroyed. Which means they weren't the roboticized Destructix at all. And then they showed up out of nowhere to help Mogul in Darkest Storm. Is this a plot hole, or will this be revisited later?

We'll get that explained (in a nuanced way) next issue.

ChaosJam wrote: Is there anything in the comic that you could change that had already been set down in the past issues and at this time can't be changed?

I wasn't a big fan of how the Great War was told. There were moments, yes, but the overall motivations for the hostilities didn't strike me as profound enough. Maybe there's a statement in there about war being built upon trivialities, I don't know.

But it's been set in stone (more or less) and there's too much to tell going forward to spend time re-writing history.

W.W. wrote:No questions from me this time Ian, but I'm very VERY tempted to bring those jokers back to life XD

Absolutely not! Let them rest in peace XD

TheSlyder wrote:I've always wondered this. It's not particularly about the storyline or anything, but what decides which artists will work on what? (I haven't seen the last couple issues, but throughout most of the series, artists have always fluctuated like I can't even describe.) Has there ever been an attempt to use one solid artist and stick with him/her for the main stories? It'd be nice to have some consistency with the artwork.

The comic has actually enjoyed long periods with a solid lead artist. Steve Butler, James Fry, Art Mawhinney and now Tracy Yardley! have all done whole year's worth of runs. The multi-artist thing is more of an exception than a rule. In any event, we're getting a whole bunch of Tracy for the foreseeable future on the leads.

Art chores depend on schedules, which is ultimately managed by Mike Pellerito.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Faded-Myth » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:34 am

IanPotto wrote:In any event, we're getting a whole bunch of Tracy for the foreseeable future on the leads.

I hope to God he's wearing a towel...

BTW Ian. I'm apply for for a spot in Indiana University. So the ocean and half a planet will no longer be an obstacle in my goal to harass you daily! How cool is THAT!?
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Postby Goldanas » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:29 pm

Hey, Ian

Thanks for the answers and the clever dodges, both are appreciated.
A few quick questions for you, good sir:

1. At the end of TDS in #164 Sonic says "What's up for Chuck's?" Now, this was confusing for a bit. I gather that it should say "Who's up for Chuck's?" in reference to Sonic's Uncle's particularly special form of Chilli Dog that he once marketed at his own stand. That seems to make the most sense to me, but I'd like to know if that was your intent and it was an error that wasn't picked up by the editor or if you were going for something else that I just can't figure out.

2. On the same note, do you often find yourself writing for long periods of time, so much so that you make startling errors, grammatical or otherwise? Do you then decide to call it quits and take a break or do you trudge through and take it upon yourself to fix the errors later?

3. Lastly, do you ever look back on your work that you've recently done (i.e. within a week) and wonder, "What in the world happened here? How could I have ever written this?" or something similar to that.

As always, thanks for the good times and continue in your excellence.

On a side note: Wow, Mr. Faded, I now understand why they keep you in the box. :shock:
Last edited by Goldanas on Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goldanas
BumbleFan

Postby Kureejii Lea » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:34 pm

Goldanas wrote:On a side note: Wow, Miss Faded, I now understand why they keep you in the box. :shock:

For your safety, you better hope he stays there. :(hearty laughter):
Kureejii Lea
BumbleKween

Postby Goldanas » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:43 pm

Kureejii Lea wrote:For your safety, you better hope he stays there. :(hearty laughter):

*cough cough hurk cough*

ahem.... :shock: ...

*runs*

After scoping out his deviant art page (a fine page at that) I saw his self-portrait and noticed that he is, in fact, a dude. So I'd like to issue a formal apology to a one Faded-Myth. Sorry, bro.

I should have looked into the facts before posting.
Last edited by Goldanas on Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goldanas
BumbleFan

Postby nuckles87 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:09 am

Ian, would you happen to know why the M25YL storylines where cutdown to eleven pages?

Wow, Miss Faded,

Dude....he's a guy.
nuckles87
BumbleKnight

Postby Faded-Myth » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:40 am

Maybe they ran out of paper?

Oh wow! A whole 4 posts dedicated to me, including one from Miss Kurryuekelele!!!!!

The thing I find funny is that I never even saw the mistake before it was fixed, so go figure.

Alright. Time for me to step back into the box.
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius