Ask Ian #5 - The Return

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby sonicxfactor » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:58 am

I like Spaz’s current work (my faves in my small collection being #126 and #130) but when he copied the Sonic Adventure style for issue 137 it sort of lost its charm form his earlier work which I flicked through on Sonic Mega Collection Plus, some of the later issues he did, just after the Sonic Adventure adaptation were great including the Star Wars Episodes 2 style cover for issue 114 which was just awesome.

Even though some of his stuff looks like boring official Sega art he’s still a fantastic artist and I hope that some day he returns to his older hard edge anime style which gave the comic its own flavour and set it apart from the official Sega stuff and in my view made Sonic look even cooler. Its one of the many reasons I got into the comic in the first place.
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

Postby Goldanas » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:34 am

If there's one thing I can say, it's that Spaz's work on the covers always made me want to go out and buy the issues. It was always so dynamic and really just popped out at your face. To be perfectly honest, I was always a little disappointed when the art on the inside didn't reflect the cover, even when I knew better. Although, I think Tracy!'s work is very excellent and is definitely bringing the comic up a few levels in quality.

To bring this all back to Ian:
Do you know why Spaz cuts himself off from the fanbase, save for maybe one or two interviews? Do you know why he's in hiding? I assume he must just be tied up with so much work that he can't find the time. It'd be sweet if he had a DeviantArt page or something similar.
Last edited by Goldanas on Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Goldanas
BumbleFan

Postby Faded-Myth » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:25 pm

I always felt his anime style was the most derived. It seemed like any other anime piece. His issue 25-50 era felt more honest. But that's just personal preference.
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Postby TheSlyder » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:06 pm

I think right around Mecha Madness was when his artwork peaked. It was when it was most detailed and developed, before he decided to go "OMG UBER KAWAII ANIMUUUUU!" style. Not that I despise the anime oriented artwork he does, I just think his older work was more original. It's hard to look at anything with anime features without associating it with the "anime fad" of this generation.
TheSlyder
BumbleFan

Postby Sonic922 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:19 am

Hey Ian, I just thought of a good question after looking at those screens:

Have you ever thought of a Chao in space Story line? The must be popular in the Sonic Universe for there to be 3 :wink:
Sonic922
BumbleFan

Postby General Tekno » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:58 am

Yeah - my favorite Spaz is from when he first started to issue 50. Though his anime stuff is good too.

That was just awesome.
General Tekno
BumbleKnight

Postby nuckles87 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:44 am

Oy Ian. New serious question.

I understand you are the only main writer, but are there any secondary writers? Like Tania Del Rio? She wrote Sonic Rush, so I've assumed Archie still takes stuff from other writers for back ups.
nuckles87
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:01 am

nuckles87 wrote:You know what we need, Ian? A thread where we just talk about stuff, rather then a mondo serious thread where we ask serious questions and give people serious sex changes.

That's either the general forum, the BumbleKourt, or you're looking for me to start an "Ask Bean" thread.

nuckles87 wrote:Do you like chameleons? Mongooses? Cats?

Bean?

BEAN: Yes! No! Aardvark!

Goldanas wrote:Do you know why Spaz cuts himself off from the fanbase, save for maybe one or two interviews? Do you know why he's in hiding? I assume he must just be tied up with so much work that he can't find the time. It'd be sweet if he had a DeviantArt page or something similar.

He's not hiding, man. The man is insanely busy. I literally cannot comprehend how he does all the art he does and still have time for natural human processes.

Sonic922 wrote:Have you ever thought of a Chao in space Story line? The must be popular in the Sonic Universe for there to be 3

Now that would be a fun mini to write. No plans for anything like that, though.

nuckles87 wrote:I understand you are the only main writer, but are there any secondary writers? Like Tania Del Rio? She wrote Sonic Rush, so I've assumed Archie still takes stuff from other writers for back ups.

BEAN: I want to answer this one!

No.

Aside from the odd inventory story (like "The Chaotix Caper" and "Hedgehog Day") I'm doing the writing. That's not to say I've kidnapped Mike's dog and forced him to make the sole writer. It's just that I've been the one assigned to do the writing. If we did get another writer, I would love to coordinate my stories with them so that we didn't end up stepping on each other's toes.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby nuckles87 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:10 pm

Poor Bean :(. Getting stampled by poor Ian. Wanna cookie, Bean?

Ian, why did you kill off the characters you killed off (aside from GBU dudes and Mecha, we already know those pretty well). Why didn't you just write them out of the story or ignore them, since your the sole writer.

And yes, I would very much support an "Ask Bean" thread for his general mayham. I like Bean. Bean, do you like me? :twisted:

Speaking of Bean, why DID you use him and Bark anyway? There where other B villains still available (Nic, haven't heard from her in awhile. She's...not dead is she?! :shock: )
nuckles87
BumbleKnight

Postby Goldanas » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:07 pm

nuckles87 wrote:(Nic, haven't heard from her in awhile. She's...not dead is she?! :shock: )

Last we saw of Nic was in Fiona's flashback to her past that was featured in #165. Seeing as Ian's stories have been delving more and more into Fiona's past and subtle hints have been given about her suspected seediness, I wouldn't say it's out of the question that Nic will come around (especially now that Nack is free) and maybe reveal a little bit more about Fiona.

But this is just me, it's ultimately up to Ian.

I have a few questions for Bean:

1. How did you and Bark meet?
2. What's your opinion on the recent Social Security crisis in the USA? Some would suggest increasing the payment ceilings on the current labor force, but others say that even with doubling the funds to the government program the citizens and the government will fall into eternal bankruptcy while China cashes in on its trillions of dollars worth of bonds.
3. What's your favorite pass-time?
4. Kiwi?
5. What is love?

Thanks for your time, Mr. Dynamite.
Goldanas
BumbleFan

RE

Postby EthanEmerald » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:07 pm

Something FUS was discussing recently...

The comic has been waiting for a real showdown between Sonic and Eggman (such as the battle in #50) forever. Not necessarily fist-to-fist combat, but at least putting Eggman into a battlesuit like "Egg Emperor" or connecting his hovering eggmobile into some super machine like the final boss of the last Genesis games (like that echidna mural in the Hidden Palace has been predicting). Maybe a classic outer-space showdown?

I understand it's quite unrealistic as he's the main baddie (and has been for 15 years now) and if he dies, then Sonic would have to fight secondary vilians for a while until they all run out, too. But eventually they'll have to stop playing around and end the Robotnik War one way or another. So what I'm asking... do you think that time will ever come?
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Postby Faded-Myth » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:59 am

Sonic has had countless showdowns with Robotnik in the past without there ever being a victor. There's no reason Sonic can't have an epic showdown with Eggman without coming away the sole survivor.

The thing that kinda saddens me though is that there doesn't seem, to me, to be the same level of balance as there was back in the day, even in the first 20 issues of Sonic the Hedgehog. No matter how goofy or hilarious a story, the battles between Sonic and the villains seemed more desperate, or at least dynamic. Even in a primarily comical episode, there felt like there was loss on the side of the good when they defeated the bad. Like they had come away a little wiser. The battles felt more lasting.
Comparatively, these days the battles never seem as long, or as fulfilling as they used to. I can count a number of one-issue battles from days past that far outweigh several issue-long wars that have taken place in recent years. There doesn't seem to be the same time to soak in a story. Ipersonally think it's because each individual subplot or character oriented story is only given so few panels to work with before moving on to the next thing.

Maybe it's just because I'm older. Maybe it's because I read at a faster pace than I did was I was 13. Maybe I don't have the time to sit back and let my imagination and naivety add to the story and fill in the gaps.
But despite the wonderful job performed by Ian and Tracy in telling a story, and the phenomenal improvement they've given the comic over Kens' method of story telling (which Ipersonally found utterly unappealing and ludicrously pretentious between issues 50 and 160), the battles just don't have that dynamic, lasting, epic feel to it.
That said, issues 160 and 161 came close. They came so very, very close, and I felt like I was 13 all over again...
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Postby TheSlyder » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:25 am

Faded-Myth, your post made me sad.

I miss those days, when I used to lay in the floor and read an issue of sonic 5-6 times before I was finished with it.

Nowadays, with the exception of the last few issues I've bought, I'd just read it in a few minutes, hang my head, tsk a few times, and put it in my closet, then go back to whatever lame grown up stuff I do now.

Ian: Who was responsible for killing off that female terminatoresque sidekick/daughter/thing that Robotnik had made? Because they deserve all the praise in the world. Just seeing that character made me want to kick puppies in the face.
TheSlyder
BumbleFan

Postby Faded-Myth » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:31 am

TheSlyder wrote:Faded-Myth, your post made me sad.

I can die happy.
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Postby TheSlyder » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:31 pm

Here's a question or two, none of which have anything to do with the comc:

I'm very curious about your application process with Archie, if you don't mind sharing the information, may I ask what some of your past work you used for reference when applying? Do you know if there was one thing in particular that got you the job?

Is there any stuff I can read that you've written other than the current Archie comics, and Other-M (Which I recently started reading, it's difficult to figure out what's going on in a lot of the panels, but it seems pretty good so far.)

One more thing, I want to let you know that I think it's pretty cool that you're willing to chill on an active message board openly with fans to discuss things. That's a pretty rare occurance, and I for one am thankful for it.
TheSlyder
BumbleFan

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius