Ask Ian #5 - The Return

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby Ian Flynn » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:38 am

Faded-Myth wrote:BTW Ian. I'm apply for for a spot in Indiana University. So the ocean and half a planet will no longer be an obstacle in my goal to harass you daily! How cool is THAT!?

It's still comfortably far from me, miss.

Goldanas wrote:1. At the end of TDS in #164 Sonic says "What's up for Chuck's?"
I'd like to know if that was your intent and it was an error that wasn't picked up by the editor or if you were going for something else that I just can't figure out.

It was meant to be "Who's up for Chuck's?" It might have been a typo on my end that managed to get through or a whoops along the way. When I have time to sit down and do the next Script Bits! we'll see.

Goldanas wrote:2. On the same note, do you often find yourself writing for long periods of time, so much so that you make startling errors, grammatical or otherwise? Do you then decide to call it quits and take a break or do you trudge through and take it upon yourself to fix the errors later?

I try to knock things out in one to three sessions and then go back and polish.

Goldanas wrote:3. . Lastly, do you ever look back on your work that you've recently done (i.e. within a week) and wonder, "What in the world happened here? How could I have ever written this?" or something similar to that.

Less and less, really. A great deal more time is spent on hammer out the concepts before I commit to them.

nuckles87 wrote:Ian, would you happen to know why the M25YL storylines where cutdown to eleven pages?

Nope. I was told eleven pages, so I worked within eleven pages.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Faded-Myth » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:54 am

I am officially a woman now. Cool.
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Postby Ian Flynn » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:49 pm

And you got to skip the hormone treatmens and costly operations. Lucky you!

I'll have you know I am boldly resisting temptation and not using my vast mod-powers to give you a custom title related to this madness. :D
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Faded-Myth » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:55 pm

I am resisting the temptation to strongly advise you to not listen to such crazy ideas.

AN HONOR, SIR!
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Postby TheSlyder » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:20 pm

I'm intrigued and fascinated by this thread. That said, I've more questions:

Do the artists and writers that work on one series (We'll say Sonic) also work on another series? (Such as Sabrina) What I'm trying to ask is if one works for Archie Comics, do they work on multiple series or do they stick to one?

What is the most common process of hiring new artists or writers around there? I mean, do people just give in their resumes, or what?

Are there any people that work on the comic through long distances?

Heh, these are all questions that I've wanted to ask since I was like ten years old, but I just never wrote a letter to mail in. Thanks, Ian.
TheSlyder
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:50 pm

Faded-Myth wrote:I am resisting the temptation to strongly advise you to not listen to such crazy ideas.

AN HONOR, SIR!

Wait...so you don't want to be known as the Resident Faux-Woman? Because I can make that happen. I'll do it! I'm a man on the edge!

TheSlyder wrote:Do the artists and writers that work on one series (We'll say Sonic) also work on another series? (Such as Sabrina) What I'm trying to ask is if one works for Archie Comics, do they work on multiple series or do they stick to one?

I can't speak for everyone, but yes, typically folks work on multiple books and sometimes under multiple publishing houses. Tracy is both on Sonic with Archie and Riding Shotgun with Tokyo Pop. I know Jim Amash (primary inker) does a ton of stuff. Steve Butler has done Marvel stuff in the past - the list is too big for me to even remember in part.

Pretty much - if there's work out there and we can get it, we get it.

TheSlyder wrote:What is the most common process of hiring new artists or writers around there? I mean, do people just give in their resumes, or what?

Depends on the situation. Some people (like me) apply out of the blue and hope we're picked up for our talent and/or when the moment is right and they need the talent. Some are sought after - like....well, I can't think of anyone off-hand.

TheSlyder wrote:Are there any people that work on the comic through long distances?

I think Spaz (and Mike Pellerito, obviously) are the only Sonic-staffers who actually works in the home office. I know Tracy and I are in completely different states, neither of which are New York. I'm pretty sure that goes for most of the staff. The internet is a beautiful thing.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Faded-Myth » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:55 am

What's the matter Tanner? You...CHICKEN!?

It's a shame really. I remember reading the comics as a kid back in 95 imagining this beautiful building filled with writers and artists working on Sonic comics. What a wonderful dream.
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Postby nuckles87 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:57 am

Aye. I imagined Mike Galllagher wipping Dave Manak and Art Mawhinney, screaming "WORK FASTER, SLAVE!" with Scott Fulop banging on a drum, tasering Mike, Dave, and Art everytime they screwed up. Meanwhile, we had Sega reps imprisoning Ken everytime he did something they didn't like.....

Oh well, a dude can dream.

You know what we need, Ian? A thread where we just talk about stuff, rather then a mondo serious thread where we ask serious questions and give people serious sex changes.

Do you like chameleons? Mongooses? Cats?
nuckles87
BumbleKnight

Postby Faded-Myth » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:31 am

You kidding Knux? Back then, Archie NEVER screwed up ;)

Ahhh the days of Issue 25... Still the greatest issue ever. Perfect blend of action, humor, and fantastic art. The opening sequence with Robotnik tampering with the US mail, is still the best scene ever written and drawn. And the artwork on Princess Sally? Perfect.

Ooh... or the pannel where her silhouette is giving Rotor the finger XD
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Postby sonicxfactor » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:05 pm

Faded-Myth wrote:You kidding Knux? Back then, Archie NEVER screwed up ;)

Ahhh the days of Issue 25... Still the greatest issue ever. Perfect blend of action, humor, and fantastic art. The opening sequence with Robotnik tampering with the US mail, is still the best scene ever written and drawn. And the artwork on Princess Sally? Perfect.

Did Spaz draw that issue, I cant remember?
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

Postby Kureejii Lea » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:23 pm

sonicxfactor wrote:
Faded-Myth wrote:You kidding Knux? Back then, Archie NEVER screwed up ;)

Did Spaz draw that issue, I cant remember?

I believe so.
Kureejii Lea
BumbleKween

Postby TheSlyder » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:23 pm

Indeed he did.

In fact, I whipped it out after reading that post (In addition to having a huge amount of issues I've collected over the years, I've also got them in digital format on my computer for quick reference and reading.) and read it.

It was great. Every issue that Spaz has pencilled has turned out wonderfully. It just goes to show you how much weight the artwork pulls in the comic book industry.
TheSlyder
BumbleFan

Postby General Tekno » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:16 pm

It's also why I lament "WHY, OH WHY DOESN'T SPAZ STILL DRAW SONIC REGULARILY!?!?!"

I mean, Tracey's good, but Spaz is unbelievable. He added more fatty folds to Dr. Robotnik than I thought possible.
General Tekno
BumbleKnight

Postby Faded-Myth » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:29 am

Spaz's original style for Sonic still remains my personal favorite. It didn't seem as glossy or anime back then and felt more, I don't know, innocent. Old fashioned. And his Sally was a sight to behold...

Having said that, Tracy remains my favourite current artist. I like his style over Spaz's latest style, only because it seems to harken from the good old days.
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Postby nuckles87 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:43 am

Faded-Myth wrote:Spaz's original style for Sonic still remains my personal favorite. It didn't seem as glossy or anime back then and felt more, I don't know, innocent. Old fashioned. And his Sally was a sight to behold...

Having said that, Tracy remains my favourite current artist. I like his style over Spaz's latest style, only because it seems to harken from the good old days.

I have to agree with you there. I much prefer his style in the older comics (especially #25 and Mecha Madness) over the style he used in #98.
Last edited by nuckles87 on Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
nuckles87
BumbleKnight

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius